I was optimistic about Marv coaching the Senior Bowl until

walzav29

Greg Brooks, Madieu Williams, and Ratliff.

That's who Marvin picked, based on his information obtained last time he coached the Senior Bowl.

He could have thrown a dart at the draft board and done better.

Maybe if we had more than 4 scouts. And maybe if they weren't all Mike Brown's cronies. :P

That's who Marvin picked, based on his information obtained last time he coached the Senior Bowl.

Yep -- and those three were among the least poor selections in a terrible draft. Williams is a highly (over) paid starter for the Vikings who showed great potential before getting hurt his second year. He was never the same after that. The Colts seem to find Ratliff useful, even if we never did. And I think Brooks would have been a solid reserve DB if he'd been able to stay healthy.

2004 turned out to be an awful draft, but not because they coached the senior bowl.

Just goes to show what happens when you have your coaches doing so much scouting - you end up drafting players from the same school (Kieft, Guy-chick) and drafting not only the three players mentioned above that you coached in the senior bowl, but picking up two ADDITIONAL players from that same team (Stepanovich and Larson) - who by the way suck.

This is never going to change here unless the Bengals add scouts and personnel people to the mix - so far not a peep about it other than one PFT rumor about a GM which doesn't seem to have any legs at this time.

As long as the Bengals' keep doing things the same way, I don't see any reason for me to change my ways of not going to games.

It's too bad others don't do the same, although I know 3 sets of people with seat licenses and tickets who are not renewing and giving UC their $ instead at least. I sure hope a lot of others follow suit and quit giving Mike Brown their $, it's a bad investment.

As long as the Bengals' keep doing things the same way, I don't see any reason for me to change my ways of not going to games.

Rest easy. Your status as a non-fan is secure.

As for you not going to games, good call. Because if you tried to go you'd find someone was already sitting in your seat. In fact, if I understand the meaning of the word sellout correctly it's fair to assume there's someone sitting in all of the seats.

It's too bad others don't do the same, although I know 3 sets of people with seat licenses and tickets who are not renewing and giving UC their $ instead at least.

Keep fighting the good fight, brave hero. If you stay strong and ever vigilant there's no telling what changes your noble crusade might bring.

Just goes to show what happens when you have your coaches doing so much scouting - you end up drafting players from the same school (Kieft, Guy-chick) and drafting not only the three players mentioned above that you coached in the senior bowl, but picking up two ADDITIONAL players from that same team (Stepanovich and Larson) - who by the way suck.

This is never going to change here unless the Bengals add scouts and personnel people to the mix - so far not a peep about it other than one PFT rumor about a GM which doesn't seem to have any legs at this time.

It's too bad others don't do the same, although I know 3 sets of people with seat licenses and tickets who are not renewing and giving UC their $ instead at least. I sure hope a lot of others follow suit and quit giving Mike Brown their $, it's a bad investment.

Well I won't mind sticking to same school thing if it's a player like reyrey ^_^

Well they didn't do the Senior game in 2005. Look how that turned out. What was so compelling about Central Michigan?

1 David Pollack LB Georgia 17

2 Odell Thurman LB Georgia 48

3 Chris Henry WR West Virginia 83

4 Eric Ghiaciuc C Central Michigan 119

5 Adam Kieft T Central Michigan 153

6 Tab Perry WR UCLA 190

7 Jonathan Fanene DE Utah 233

Yep -- and those three were among the least poor selections in a terrible draft. Williams is a highly (over) paid starter for the Vikings who showed great potential before getting hurt his second year. He was never the same after that. The Colts seem to find Ratliff useful, even if we never did. And I think Brooks would have been a solid reserve DB if he'd been able to stay healthy.

2004 turned out to be an awful draft, but not because they coached the senior bowl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NFL_Draft

How do you figure? There were 14 probowlers drafted in the first round alone. That means, you could pretty much flip a coin with your first pick in 2004 and you would land a pro bowler.

...or Chris Perry over Steven Jackson. :rolleyes: But hey, who can blame the Bengals for taking Perry? Michigan just happened to be one of the 4 schools the Bengals scouted that year. ^_^

Quite a few probowlers in the later rounds of 2004 too. Remember that game against the Chiefs when Jared Allen was pwning Levi over and over again so badly they had to bench Levi? We could have had him in round 4. But who did we pick instead?

Matthew Askew.

I'm just saying, anytime your drafts are worse than throwing darts at a draft board and picking that way, there has to be some accountability. I don't buy this "2004 was a weak draft" line of thinking at all.

I'm just saying, anytime your drafts are worse than throwing darts at a draft board and picking that way, there has to be some accountability. I don't buy this "2004 was a weak draft" line of thinking at all.

Well, since I never said that, you're OK by me.

Well, since I never said that, you're OK by me.

:D

I thought you were using 2004 being a lousy draft as a reason Marvin selected so poorly in 2004, even with the added resource of coaching the senior bowl.

I was pointing out that 2004 was in fact a pretty darn good draft, especially the 1st round. So much so that the Bengals would have done as well or better simply by throwing darts at the draft board.

So, actually, you did say that. :D

"2004 turned out to be an awful draft, but not because they coached the senior bowl." -Hoosier Cat

B)

As for you not going to games, good call. Because if you tried to go you'd find someone was already sitting in your seat. In fact, if I understand the meaning of the word sellout correctly it's fair to assume there's someone sitting in all of the seats.

Actually, apparently your understanding of the meaning of the word sellout isn't correct. Sellout, as a term of art, has nothing to do with a physical person sitting in a seat, thus it's not necessarily fair to assume what you assume. Sellout merely means all tickets for a particular event have been purchased and money thus exchanged for it. That person may choose to not go, or sell it on ebay or the street.

In fact, over the course of the last half of the season, Shula would have had excellent chances to go to a Bengals game, as many of those 'sellouts', did just that--sell out their tickets on the internet, many for below face value. Shula's point was more than valid.

But, you already knew that, didn't you? ;)

Greg, how can you use so many words to say nothing at all?

Shula's point is he's sticking it to the man...because he's nobodies fool, right?

But the man doesn't even know he exists OR care that he's not buying.

As for those of you who will no longer attend Bengal games, well...let's be honest. As belts are tightened across this shattered once proud nation it's fair to guess many of you will no longer be attending Reds games, movies, rock concerts, pig races, tractor pulls, or for that matter....the jobs you used to have. Yet remarkably, none of you are stupid enough to claim the reason you're no longer attending these events is because your favorite tractor pulling team has an incompetent owner with a flat-chested daughter.

I suspect the reason Kid Shula doesn't attend Bengal games is because he prefers watching Bengal games from the comfort and safety of his treasured rent-to-own sofa. In fact, I'm betting Kid Shula never misses a televised game....just as Mike Brown never misses a chance to cash the checks he receives from local and national television networks.

As I've said many times before, nobody appreciates a pointless gesture more than I do. So I say again, fight on brave hero. Your sacrifice, such as it is, will long be remembered by you alone.