Hot Stove

semiotter

Hey guys ive been looking up and down on the net and was suprised to see how many good free agents there are left. Some are kinda getting a little long in the tooth but still good. I think there are going to be some late last minute signings. Maybe the REDS or my Os might have a good chance of landing a really good player. Some of these guys are past all stars a few years back. I think Pat Burrell is close to signing with the RAYS. But there are plenty of really good pitchers and pos. players left.....come on REDS..Os...get a couple of these guys and make a real push for the playoffs this year. If the RAYS can make it to the W/S heck anything can happen right!!!!!

This is kind of disheartening...

If this week's signing of super-utility player Jerry Hairston Jr. is the final significant move made this offseason, the Reds could be heading to Sarasota, Fla., next month with an assembled puzzle still missing a piece.

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty seems prepared for that possibility.

"We're still looking, but we may just go to camp with what we have," Jocketty said on Wednesday after Hairston's signing was announced. "We are certainly open to what develops or shakes out at Spring Training. A lot of guys are still not signed and may go unsigned for a while."

Free agent left fielder Pat Burrell was scooped up by the Rays earlier this week, and Rocco Baldelli joined the Red Sox on Thursday. The list of righty-hitting outfielders drops off big time from there, with names such as Eric Hinske, Jonny Gomes, Craig Monroe and Gabe Kapler. There seems to be little interest in the lefty-hitting free agents such as Bobby Abreu, Garret Anderson, Cliff Floyd and former Reds player Adam Dunn.

On the trade market, the Yankees have a surplus of outfielders and could be willing to deal either Nick Swisher or Xavier Nady, with Nady being the most likely to be moved. The Yankees need starting pitching in return and probably wouldn't settle for anyone less than a Reds veteran such as Bronson Arroyo or Aaron Harang.

Hairston, Chris Dickerson, Norris Hopper, and possibly non-roster invite Laynce Nix, are the main in-house options for left field. Dickerson, a lefty hitter, impressed as a late-season rookie, but the Reds want to see more. Hopper missed most of last season with an elbow injury, and Hairston could still be needed at shortstop if Alex Gonzalez isn't ready.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=cin

I just think Dunn is such a liability in the field that you could hardly justify bringing him in for the money he will get. Abreu would be more to my liking, but with all of that said, the Reds are looking for a right handed hitting and both Abreu and Dunn are lefties. I guess they are better off seeing what they can get out of the youngsters in camp. This team just keeps getting younger and younger...

Get me Xavier Nady to play left in exchange for prospects not named Bailey, Maloney or Roenicke and the offseason will be just fine.

Our offense will be faster with much more small ball and higher onbase %. Willy Taveras is a perfect table setter with a grudge and Dickerson and Hairston are in the wings if he can't hit. Votto, Bruce, EdE will all be a year older and wiser and the catcher they added is a terrific addition.

Our defense will be much improved simply by removing Dunn and Junior. Did I mention the new catcher? How about Taveras in center?

Our pitching is much deeper and more talented. The fight behind Harang, Arroyo, Volquez and Cueto for the fifth spot between Owings, Bailey and Maloney is the most talented back of a rotation we've had in years.

Finally, Brandon Phillips can be the leader in the clubhouse when the idiots/inmates (Dunn & Griffey) were in charge of the asylum. BPhil wants to win and will expect it from his teammates.

Unfortunately, Dusty is still an idiot; but I wonder how much of his stupidity Jocketty will tolerate. It's so nice to have one team with a real GM.

I simply can't wait for those magical words: pitchers and catchers report today!!!!

You and others may think Baker is an idiot, but some of the players we currently have and some we've brought in are due in part to Baker being the manager.

Put me in the camp that hopes Bailey can figure out a way to put it together or the organization needs to go ahead and get something in exchange for his services...

You and others may think Baker is an idiot, but some of the players we currently have and some we've brought in are due in part to Baker being the manager.

Put me in the camp that hopes Bailey can figure out a way to put it together or the organization needs to go ahead and get something in exchange for his services...

I have to say that I am willing to part ways with Homer if they could get a solid RH bat to go in the outfeild rotation. Homer has shown me nothing impressive on his many call-ups.

Yep, if I had to pick someone to dangle as trade material to get someone they really needed, Homer would be that guy. He got all the hype in the world and hasn't shown anything. I don't want to repost things and check stats like I have in another post about him, but he hasn't even been remotely dominant in minor league ball. Everytime he's gotten the call, he's been lit up like a pinball machine, fast and often. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see the unrealized potential get a chance somewhere else if we get someone like Nady...

Hey guys I seen were Johnny Bench AND Joe Morgan are going to be on the ELLEN show this monday with GEORGE CLOONEY. Never see BENCH on anything so im going to watch it just for that. :)

Hey guys I seen were Johnny Bench AND Joe Morgan are going to be on the ELLEN show this monday with GEORGE CLOONEY. Never see BENCH on anything so im going to watch it just for that. :)

Bench used to be on TV all the time...he had his own Show, Johnny Bench and the baseball bunch. Tommy Lasorda used to play a Genie on the show.

:cheers:

Bench used to be on TV all the time...he had his own Show, Johnny Bench and the baseball bunch. Tommy Lasorda used to play a Genie on the show.

:cheers:

I remember that. :lol: