Anyone else not want to take an offensive tackle at 6?

cHaD711Johnson

IF and I think it's a pretty big IF, Crabtree makes it past Seattle, I can see him falling to #6. That being said, IF the Bengals let Chad go, the probability increases. However, if we hold onto Chad, Crabtree being there at #6 would give us the best chance to trade down. There are plenty of teams that have a need for a WR that I could see wanting to trade up to #6 to get him.

Letting Chad go? Not going to happen. Drafting Crabtree would guarantee another 12-14 loss season. The wild card I think is Jenkins from OSU. As I've said before, Joesph kind of sucks for a 1st round pick. Zimmer again mentioned him by name this week saying they need to get better there and could use another cover corner. Drafting 6 we'll have a decent chance of getting the guy that is most needed, but is that the 3rd best OT or best CB? Is it the 3rd best OT or best DE/LB?

At #6 they will definitely try and pick the best guy at a position as Mike Brown defines "the best", hopefully a LT, but who knows? I have lots of confidence the Bengals can identify where they need help the most, where they fall down is who they pick.

By "letting Chad go" I meant by trade. Sorry I didn't clarify... I'm also DEAD against the drafting of any WR in the first so I'm not arguing the point. My point to this is, Crabtree at #6 is a good thing for us and could only help with our ability to trade down. Then again, I don't see that happening either, so there's that...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things on Jenkins.....

First, I brought this up a few months ago in a draft thread that was overlooked. I firmly believe that shoddy CB play cost the Bengals a few games last season. Hall had a good season, all things considered. J. Joe is starting to look like a player that cannot stay healthy for an entire teams, although he flashes "shutdown corner" at times. He is also a free agent in 2010, I believe. I think that David Jones would be a decent 4th corner but not a solid #3, at this point in his career. After that, there is nothing. Pope and Fletcher are both terrible. At a minimum, the team was sign a solid veteran CB.

Right now, Jenkins is on a cusp of being a top-5 pick. A lot of mocks have him going to Cleveland at #5 right now and it certainly is a possibility. I believe that Mangini will want a 3-4 rush backer, to put opposite/replace Wimberly and Hall. They could also go WR with Crabtree, to replace Stallworth. Curry would be their ideal pick, but he may be gone. They have 2 good, young corners in McDonald and King. If they go at one of the other positions, Jenkins could be there at 6 for the Bengals.

Another thing to consider is that the Bengals for whatever reason always "announce" how much they like CB's in the draft. This goes back to the year Troy Vincent came out of Wisconsin, to recently Terrence Newman and Darelle Revis. In this case, the Bengals could be looking to trade down, as I believe was the secret strategy with Sedrick Ellis last year. If no trade, I believe the pick is whoever's left between Crabtree and Jenkins....but only if they believe that Jenkins is a can't miss, shutdown CB. Otherwise, you could releastically be looking at a trade that would give them an extra top 100 pick.

The more I think about it, I would be happy with the Bengals drafting Michael Crabtree.....

First, he is 6'3'', 215 pounds and is a TREMENDOUS RAC receiver. He is very much in the Andre Johnson/Calvin Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald mode of big, strong, fast wideouts. The thing that has me sold on him is that you know what you're getting in Crabtree. He is maybe not the deep threat of Ocho Cinco, but he is a guy that will make tough catches over the middle and will be an instant red-zone threat his first year. He also allows for the Bengals to save the 9-10 million it will cost to Franchise T.J., thus allowing that money to go to a stud veteran OT (Jordan Gross?) or defender (Bart Scott? Terrell Suggs?). If he runs in the 4.45 range, he might not even get down as far as #6 I would be more than happy with Chad, Crabtree, Henry, Caldwell, Simpson and a return type as the 6th WR next season.

Plus, he just LOOKS like a Bengal. Who wouldn't be excited to see this next year?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPz7caPqoJE...feature=related

The only reason we're wringing our hands is that we all know what our problems are and what's needed. However, 31 other teams couldn't give a flying you know what about our problems and Mikey is simply unwilling to help himself out. If a stud LB and DE is there at 6 I hope we take that pick if the best OTs are gone. If, by some chance the two OTs,the LB and DE are gone, we'll end up with another f**king WR or another f**king CB. And I would pity them because they'll get f**k all help from the O-line or D-line for the majority of plays and be hung out to dry most games.

What would make sense in the worst case scenario is trade down and then get more value. Taking the best available OT/whatever with a lower pick and using the additional picks to, ya know, actually build a f**king team.

Here's to 6-10. <_<

But yeah, it'll be great to see a rookie WR maybe put up a 1000 yards against scrub teams on our way to 6-10. Majorly exciting.

The only reason we're wringing our hands is that we all know what our problems are and what's needed. However, 31 other teams couldn't give a flying you know what about our problems and Mikey is simply unwilling to help himself out. If a stud LB and DE is there at 6 I hope we take that pick if the best OTs are gone. If, by some chance the two OTs,the LB and DE are gone, we'll end up with another f**king WR or another f**king CB. And I would pity them because they'll get f**k all help from the O-line or D-line for the majority of plays and be hung out to dry most games.

What would make sense in the worst case scenario is trade down and then get more value. Taking the best available OT/whatever with a lower pick and using the additional picks to, ya know, actually build a f**king team.

Here's to 6-10. <_<

But yeah, it'll be great to see a rookie WR maybe put up a 1000 yards against scrub teams on our way to 6-10. Majorly exciting.

I'm optimistic that #6 gets an immediate impact starter at LT. They have too otherwise Carson Palmer gets killed next year. They have little depth at either tackle spots so have no choice to go at LT right away especially since the 5 teams ahead of them aren't going to pick 3 LT's. Whitworth can't play LT all season. Collins is not proven. Levi is very questionable and who backs them up? After round 1, then go bpa all the way. With some luck they can add a OC via free agency and use that second pick for bpa rather than a need pick. From round 2 to 4 I got to think they can get a RB, DE, LB in no particular order. Of course since its the Bengal's the number 2 guy will sit all year and the number 4 guy will start midway thru the season and the number 3 guy will play special teams all year.

Here's to 6-10. <_<

I'm optimistic that #6 gets an immediate impact starter at LT. They have too otherwise Carson Palmer gets killed next year. They have little depth at either tackle spots so have no choice to go at LT right away especially since the 5 teams ahead of them aren't going to pick 3 LT's. Whitworth can't play LT all season. Collins is not proven. Levi is very questionable and who backs them up? After round 1, then go bpa all the way. With some luck they can add a OC via free agency and use that second pick for bpa rather than a need pick. From round 2 to 4 I got to think they can get a RB, DE, LB in no particular order. Of course since its the Bengal's the number 2 guy will sit all year and the number 4 guy will start midway thru the season and the number 3 guy will play special teams all year.

Yeah. Is St Louis the only team to also really need a LT? If so then that's gravy. Either one of the OTs will suit me. Yes, really hoping for a C to be picked up in FA. Would really open things up for us in the draft and we have a fair few holes to plug.

I don't know enough about the DEs yet (too busy at work to study draft material yet) but if one of them truly is the reincarnation of Reggie White (or even Coy Bacon) then I'd be plenty happy with that player at 6

Other than that - only two other ways to spend the choice would make my happy - blue chip OLT or the ever-popular trade down...and even this hypothetical trade down, I still want a DE or OLT with that top pick :-)

After round 1, then go bpa all the way.

So in other words, what you're saying is.....

Always get the best value except for those occasions when you'll actually spend the most.

<_<

I don't think he's saying that through choice (although I agree with you in principle Hair). I mean, we have Carson. Really, f**k everyone else to an extent. If we don't maximize his talent then realistically everyone else is already f**ked. Ideally we'll have a premier OT to pick from at 6. Failing that, a stud LB or DE. If, the worst somehow happens and we have the 3rd best OT or a CB to pick from at 6 then it would be prudent to try and trade down for more picks. Then get more value by taking BPA overall whilst not overpaying a substandard pick at a position of need or taking a f**king WR at God knows how much. But, that isn't going happen.

Just saying....

""We've got good guys, but they've got to play better. We've got to get better. You can never have enough corners and we need some healthy ones. But I'm looking up front. We can use anything." --- Mike Zimmer

No denying that. JJ has this next season to prove he's not made of glass or he's nickleback material. Not sure he's advocating blowing the 6th overall pick on a CB, no matter how good he might be, when we have far more pressing holes to fill though. It wouldn't make sense for a start. Why get in a good player when you can't use him to the best of his abilities? Just a waste for the time being, bar a couple of Sports centre highlights over the season. Say we, oh I dunno, manage to get in some real quality (and not just the usual shuffling of mediocre players) in during FA then sure. It gives us options.

Not sure he's advocating blowing the 6th overall pick on a CB, no matter how good he might be, when we have far more pressing holes to fill though.

No, he isn't. In fact, he's not saying anything specific about the #6 hole. But he's very clearly asking for more help upfront, with the front seven. And again, he's made it clear in earlier remarks how much he thinks this team needs more pass rushers.

I'd give him what he wants.

Not sure he's advocating blowing the 6th overall pick on a CB, no matter how good he might be, when we have far more pressing holes to fill though.

No, he isn't. In fact, he's not saying anything specific about the #6 hole. But he's very clearly asking for more help upfront, with the front seven. And again, he's made it clear in earlier remarks how much he thinks this team needs more pass rushers.

Yep. If the top two OTs are gone by 6, what are the chances Orapko is still sitting there at 6? As long as we get a supreme talent on either line, I'll be happy.

Zimmer is definitely speaking truth. We need help up front and on the edges. But then again, coaches this time of year and all the way thru to the draft are known to gas up the room with hot air. Just to confuse the senses of the other team's draft rooms.

With a number 6 pick and knowing the front 5 aren't going to pick LT's exclusively, the Bengals will have a good talent available. I'm guessing the guy(LT) they could pick is worth a number 6 pay day. Probably he'll be just as talented and athletic as the top DE for instance. So take the LT cuz we are pretty talentless there. If we were drafting number 10, well then that is different, most likely the best LT's are gone and instead look elsewhere like a DE, ILB, CB or RB, just play find the stud across a larger number of positions of need.

With the second round pick and all others, go play find the stud and don't worry too much for need. Really though, until the FA is done, its nuts trying to figure out who to draft first, second and third.