Anyone else not want to take an offensive tackle at 6?

cHaD711Johnson

If they can trade down for a couple of Xtra picks then they should, but we know the Bengals don't swing like that so with this pick, take ACurry get an OL man in rd2...The way the O played this year can 1 OLman fix that? But with a pass rusher the D can be deadly...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since everyone else has turned into "Carnac", let me clear my throat... aha aha aha...LOL

Ok, Levi Jones is going nowhere. Another offseason of him gambling and getting into fist fights with Joey Porter should mean he'll be healthy enough to start next season at left tackle.

- Since The Bengals Know this is as an automatic! - They realize that an offensive line consisting of

(LT) Levi Jones (LG) Andrew Whitworth © Who's our backup ? (RG) Bobbie Williams (RT) Anthony Collins

should be good enough to start the season.

I mean hey, They'll resign Stacey Andrews to a year or two deal and probably get him back after the first 6 games once he's cleared from the PUP list. So knowing that they'll have incredible depth for Levi's eventual knee or back injury by week 6 or 7, they will forgo the much needed offensive tackle at #6, and take............................................................................

Jeremy Maclin WR, Missouri!

Crazier things have happened........ Chris Perry..???????? I'm not saying... I'm just saying....!! :rolleyes:

In support of chrishcarnac's prediction, let us now note the following from da site...

The agent for Bengals left tackle Levi Jones said here Monday at the Senior Bowl that Jones' injury problems that cost him the last six games of the season are improving and that he should be ready for a June mandatory minicamp in June.

Ken Zuckerman wouldn't be specific about a series of back and hamstring problems that knocked him out of the lineup for good against the Eagles Nov. 16. He also wouldn't comment on Jones' status with the club, but did say that the Bengals haven't told him anything one way or the other about next year.

Jones is a big decision because with no salary cap in 2010, his pro-rated bonus stemming from six-year extension in 2006 would empty all into 2009.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7459

Well, with many saying Monroe is going to be the first OT off the board, I will be MORE than happy seeing Smith sitting there at #6. As much as I could justify spending that #6 on the defensive side of the ball, I just don't see it happening. The finalized list of declared underclassmen is out and I posted it in the NFL Draft forum to check out.

Also with the underclassmen that are coming out, I think the Center position is a lock for the top of the second as well.

I just read that Jason Brown (ravens center) will be a free agent. The dude's got size (6'3" 320lbs) and talent. I wouldnt mind seeing him in a Bengals uni, and the bonus slap in the Ravens face would be nice also.

The idea of drafting OT at #6 is growing on me, not because of any particular feelings I have regarding Levi Jones, but due to the greater probability of a prospect like Andre Smith being available.

Well, there's certainly a lot of hype left to go between now and draft day, but it's already getting harder and harder to see Smith getting past the Rams at 2.

The real wild card is KC at 3. With Bradford staying in school, what do they do. Oher? Solid pick, certainly. Sanchez? Looks like a reach right now. Curry? Last top 3 LB was Lavar in '00. Orapko? That would be my move, but his stock has slipped after his bowl game (non) performance. I've even seen Everett Brown's name in the mix.

Bottom line, I could easily see the Bengals having their choice of:

Monroe

Maualuga

Wells

Orapko

My brain says Monroe, my gut says Maualuga or Orapko, and my "Mikey sense" says Wells. <_<

The idea of drafting OT at #6 is growing on me, not because of any particular feelings I have regarding Levi Jones, but due to the greater probability of a prospect like Andre Smith being available.

Well, there's certainly a lot of hype left to go between now and draft day, but it's already getting harder and harder to see Smith getting past the Rams at 2.

The real wild card is KC at 3. With Bradford staying in school, what do they do. Oher? Solid pick, certainly. Sanchez? Looks like a reach right now. Curry? Last top 3 LB was Lavar in '00. Orapko? That would be my move, but his stock has slipped after his bowl game (non) performance. I've even seen Everett Brown's name in the mix.

Bottom line, I could easily see the Bengals having their choice of:

Monroe

Maualuga

Wells

Orapko

My brain says Monroe, my gut says Maualuga or Orapko, and my "Mikey sense" says Wells. <_<

Don't say Mauluga on draft forums because he's really only a 2nd rounder \rolls eyes

Quotes from fooballs future...

Only way i'd take Maualuga is if the Bengals are able to trade back and acquire more picks. He is defintely NOT a top 10 value.

Personally I think Rey would be a terrible pick. I do not think he is a great 4-3 ILB. Right now the only people I want us to pick at 6 are either a T or Curry. Anything else in my mind is a wasted pick. Rey is not worth the 6th pick. He is not good in coverage and is way to stiff. I would much rather wait till the later rounds to get a MLB. Thats just me tho

I gotta basically agree with what -------------- said. Maualuga plays off of his instincts almost all the time. Sure he has good instincts, but a lot of the time he takes himself out of the play by overrunning it, or just guessing wrong. Because of this he just disappears for parts of games. He's overaggressive, and misses tackles because he takes bad angles. Average in coverage too. He is a great blitzer, sheds blocks well, and is a freak athlete, but the negatives led me to give him an early second round grade. Also, he doesn't fit as a 4-3 MLB all that well. He is however, a good fit as a 3-4 ILB. I'd expect him to be snatched up by Sand Diego at #16.

I think he will be a workout warrior and really shoot up some draft boards, but I still would not want him in the 4-3 system. He may become a top 10 pick after the senior bowl week and combine, but god I hope it is not to us. I just do not see him as a good fit. He would be our hard hitting MLB, but I would much rather have a guy like Curry who excels in all aspects of the game instead of just being a good blitzer and hard hitter. We will have to wait and see tho.

I 'm thinking if we draft a linebacker at 6, it needs to be someone who makes big plays, but doesn't make big mistakes or disappear for long stretches. I also don't think he is going to run very well. Rey would be pretty good in round two though.

The only linebacker like that in round 1 for me would be Curry, but I do not see him making it to 6. I think the Chiefs will grab him with pick 3. I would love to see James Laurinaitis fall to round 2 to us tho. Hell if he makes it to round 2 I would think we might trade up to secure him. But thats just me

-Gogo buckeye homers

Ask Colt McCoy if James Laurenitis can blitz. He put some good hits on him in the Fiesta Bowl. I grade Laurenitis in teh early twenties, and Maualuga in the late 20's.

Im not a Buckeyes fan at all. I know Rey was asked to do different things which is why I left out the 50 tackle difference between the two. Im just pointing out differences between the two.

Orapko? That would be my move, but his stock has slipped after his bowl game (non) performance.

Non performance my butt. Anyone who wants to crow about the Bucks gashing Orakpo on the ground would be limited to a single play, with nearly every rushing attempt being directed away from Orakpo's edge all night. As for pass rush, the presence of Pryor dictated the dreaded mush rush most of the night, but not on those plays where the Bucks put in the pocket passer. Different situation...different type of pass rush and Orakpo brought it big whenever Boeckman (sp?) was in the game.

The real wild card is KC at 3. With Bradford staying in school, what do they do. Oher? Solid pick, certainly.

See, there it is again. I'm not sold on Oher, and it's messing up my entire imaginary draft noodlings. :lol:

Non performance my butt.

Hey, I'm not arguing. Just on the general principle that you should judge a guy on his whole college career, not just one bowl game, Im not down on Orapko. But the hype machine is in full churn on this one...

I don't have a problem with Oher, tho IMHO he needs some polishing. If he were on the board and the picked Monroe I would kick a can over lost feel-good story opportunities and move on.

@ kaz: you need to stop paying attention to crazy people. :lol:

See, there it is again. I'm not sold on Oher, and it's messing up my entire imaginary draft noodlings.

Wasn't one of his downsides his noodle?

After watching the AFC Championship last night, I'm more depressed than ever that the Bengals can ever play in that game. They aren't physical, they aren't well coached, they aren't lucky the way Ben R is. Man does that guy have 9 lives on pass plays? But its clear, they have to get much better on the front 7 defensively and the front 5 offensively. In either case, they should probably focus on just one with the first 2 picks.

Non performance my butt.

Hey, I'm not arguing. Just on the general principle that you should judge a guy on his whole college career, not just one bowl game, Im not down on Orapko. But the hype machine is in full churn on this one...

I don't have a problem with Oher, tho IMHO he needs some polishing. If he were on the board and the picked Monroe I would kick a can over lost feel-good story opportunities and move on.

@ kaz: you need to stop paying attention to crazy people. :lol:

I have been hearing that Oher is the least appealing of the tackles coming out. I want Monroe or Andre Smith...Bottom line. Monroe reminds me of Pace in St. Louis and Smith is just a big beast. He does however bring to mind bad memories of Leonard Davis who was a bad tackle (But a good gaurd).

Now, if we don't take a Tackle I want Orakpo, but I have been also reading that Curry can play MLB in a 4-3 which I like. The perfect scenario would be Duke Robinson dropping to us in the second round, but noone seems to be thinking of that possibility.

Non performance my butt.

You'll get no argument from me on that one as I'm well aware of the current consensus opinion. That said, I don't have to respect opinions that I feel are pie-eyed stupid and as a result will happily continue swimming against the current of popular draftnik douchebaggery for at least a few more weeks.

I don't have a problem with Oher, tho IMHO he needs some polishing.

Well that's just the thing because I do have a problem with Oher, and to a lesser degreee with Smith as well. Top Five prospects shouldn't have holes in their game, and shouldn't come with any realistic risk of busting. All you should see when you look at a true blue chip are overwhelming positives and disregardable negatives...and I can't seem to get there with Oher in particular.

If he were on the board and the picked Monroe I would kick a can over lost feel-good story opportunities and move on.

But when the discussion rolls around to the feel good stuff, well....isn't that the hype you keep mentioning? Is Oher a true blue chip or is he a red chip wrapped in a warm and fuzzy PR blanket? Right now I'm betting on the latter, and I'm not joking....it's screwing up all of my early draft noodlings.

But when the discussion rolls around to the feel good stuff, well....isn't that the hype you keep mentioning? Is Oher a true blue chip or is he a red chip wrapped in a warm and fuzzy PR blanket? Right now I'm betting on the latter, and I'm not joking....it's screwing up all of my early draft noodlings.

When I'm talking about hype I mean things like getting all worked up over a good or bad bowl performance or a 40 time or how much a guy benches. To me, Oher's backstory isn't that, but rather a comment on his character, and you already know that I rank character above talent when it comes to Bengals draft picks, because they've repeatedly proven they can't handle troubled players. So for me that stuff is a plus. As for Oher, if I knew whether he was the real deal or not, I'd be making a lot more money right now.

BTW, watching the inauguration coverage, they just showed Bill chatting up your gal Cindy...

The more I think about it, the Bengals could be looking at drafting, gulp, Michael Crabtree.

The reason?

The top 2 tackles in Smith and Monroe are looking to be rising and will lot likely be there at 6. Oher looks to be a mid-to-late 1st round pick at this point. On the Defensive side, Curry will be gone and Maualuga's stock is dropping like a rock. Beanie Wells looks to be a mid-first rounder, too. Depending on if Seattle goes OT, Crabtree could land in the Bengals lap at 6 as the BPA. This season is very similar to the year that Peter Warrick was drafted, where we have 2 established WR's nearing the end of their careers with the Bengals. Also, I do not believe that T.J. will be franchised at almost 9 million per year and he clearly doesn't want to be here anymore. Chad is also on the wrong side of 30 and could be traded....or even released! That leaves a questionable Chris Henry, a good prospect in Caldwell and an unknown in Simpson (plus a few practice squad WR's).

Although I would only be OK with the pick, he becomes an immediate starter in place of T.J., under the Bengals control for 5 to 6 years and gives the Bengals 9 million to sign a veteran C and maybe an impact defensive player (Suggs anyone?).

IF and I think it's a pretty big IF, Crabtree makes it past Seattle, I can see him falling to #6. That being said, IF the Bengals let Chad go, the probability increases. However, if we hold onto Chad, Crabtree being there at #6 would give us the best chance to trade down. There are plenty of teams that have a need for a WR that I could see wanting to trade up to #6 to get him.

The top 2 tackles in Smith and Monroe are looking to be rising and will lot likely be there at 6. Oher looks to be a mid-to-late 1st round pick at this point. On the Defensive side, Curry will be gone and Maualuga's stock is dropping like a rock. Beanie Wells looks to be a mid-first rounder, too. Depending on if Seattle goes OT, Crabtree could land in the Bengals lap at 6 as the BPA.

Suddenly, and without warning....my pimp hand grows strong, and once again I go Orakpo upside ya' haid.

IF and I think it's a pretty big IF, Crabtree makes it past Seattle, I can see him falling to #6. That being said, IF the Bengals let Chad go, the probability increases. However, if we hold onto Chad, Crabtree being there at #6 would give us the best chance to trade down. There are plenty of teams that have a need for a WR that I could see wanting to trade up to #6 to get him.

Letting Chad go? Not going to happen. Drafting Crabtree would guarantee another 12-14 loss season. The wild card I think is Jenkins from OSU. As I've said before, Joesph kind of sucks for a 1st round pick. Zimmer again mentioned him by name this week saying they need to get better there and could use another cover corner. Drafting 6 we'll have a decent chance of getting the guy that is most needed, but is that the 3rd best OT or best CB? Is it the 3rd best OT or best DE/LB?

At #6 they will definitely try and pick the best guy at a position as Mike Brown defines "the best", hopefully a LT, but who knows? I have lots of confidence the Bengals can identify where they need help the most, where they fall down is who they pick.

The wild card I think is Jenkins from OSU.

It's about time somebody said it.

Drafting 6 we'll have a decent chance of getting the guy that is most needed, but is that the 3rd best OT or best CB? Is it the 3rd best OT or best DE/LB?

The player in question is different, but it's the same question I keep asking. Drafting at #6 the Bengals have a decent chance of getting the last blue chip in the draft. Do they have the guts to take that player regardless of the position he plays, OR do they settle for the best available OT?

Zimmer again mentioned him by name this week saying they need to get better there and could use another cover corner. Drafting 6 we'll have a decent chance of getting the guy that is most needed, but is that the 3rd best OT or best CB? Is it the 3rd best OT or best DE/LB?

From Bengals.com

After Johnathan Joseph's injury-plagued season ended with a broken foot, the Bengals want a cover guy after they get done with some bigger needs earlier in the draft.

Do they have the guts to take that player regardless of the position he plays, OR do they settle for the best available OT?

If It's DE,MLB or SLB I'd be up for it...If it was CB,DT,WR,S or RB I think I'd rather have the 3rd rated Oline.