Anyone else not want to take an offensive tackle at 6?

cHaD711Johnson

it absolutely amazes me that their are ppl who do not understand how important the o-line is. the 3 most important position on offense are, LEFT TACKLE, CENTER, AND QUATERBACK. well guess what we suck at 2 of the 3. if the bengals ignore LT it will be the biggest mistake to add to many, that this team has made.

This also. I'm a foreign type of limited intelligence and even I get it. Build up the O-line then the D-line and worry about everything else afterwards. The fact that we have a top 3 QB (in terms of talent imo) is incredible. THAT'S the frigging hard thing to get right and somehow we've lucked out. Let's do the smart thing and easy thing before the Bengals have pissed away their hope of a genuine run at a Superbowl for another 20 years.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone tell me why the Butkus award winner Curry from Wake Forest is not even ranked as a first round draft pick on some sites?

Because those sites are bad sites.

Right now, it looks like Curry is a lock for top 10, possibly top 5. Of course, it's a long way to April, but unless he does something really dumb or has a horrible combine, it's hard to see him slipping out of the top half of the first.

Can someone tell me why the Butkus award winner Curry from Wake Forest is not even ranked as a first round draft pick on some sites?

Yup.

But I'll take things one step further. Those sites are bad because their player evaluations are too heavily based on a players performance in a single Bowl game. For example, in it's bowl game Wake Forest played a team that runs an offensive scheme that is far removed from anything seen in the NFL, or even college ball for that matter, and Curry's play in that game was remarkably unspectacular. As a result his draft standing is called into question and in the eyes of some he's swiftly downgraded. Others simply shrug.

Yup.

But I'll take things one step further. Those sites are bad because their player evaluations are too heavily based on a players performance in a single Bowl game. For example, in it's bowl game Wake Forest played a team that runs an offensive scheme that is far removed from anything seen in the NFL, or even college ball for that matter, and Curry's play in that game was remarkably unspectacular. As a result his draft standing is called into question and in the eyes of some he's swiftly downgraded. Others simply shrug.

Right, that is why talking about individuals being this or that is mostly inaccurate. What do the press know anyway? Unless you are watching lots of video focused on a player over the course of a career you don't know enough about their play. I know I have better things to do than even try. I think the Bengals scouts feel the same way about their own time.

IF the Bengals pick up another 1st rounder by chance, I think it opens up a ton. I would like to see the first three used something like this:

1a. Oher, Monroe

1b. Spikes (if he declares and depending on where the 1st falls of course)

2. Mack (if he lasts til the top of the 2nd) or Luigs at Center

I want one of the larger centers instead of some guy the draftniks deem a "beast" even though he weighs 282. I'm sick of seeing a Guychick type guy on his back in our backfield getting our QB killed. Addressing RB in the 3rd would still net us someone to complement or possibly take over for Benson should he return...

So yes, I still want an OT in the first !!!

For me, the bottom line is this: we have the 6 pick. Which means that one of these blue-chippers:

Oher

Monroe

Smith

Maualuga

Curry

Orapko

...is guaranteed to be on the board. I hear any of those six names in he first round in April, I'm happy.

That is the best way I have ever heard it put! Well said, even though I am hoping for Orapko. He is going to put 225 up over 40 times at the combine!

That is the best way I have ever heard it put! Well said, even though I am hoping for Orapko. He is going to put 225 up over 40 times at the combine!

Appreciated, but it's just math. The Bengals are in good shape re: the draft. And if Stafford and/or Bradford declare, there's a good chance 2-3 of those guys are there. Thus the scenario: do we take, say, Oher or Malauga or Orapko?

I say, what do you want, vanilla or chocolate or strawberry? It's all good. Any way we go we fill a big hole. I lean toward D just because of the o-line depth this draft, but if the go OT, awesome and (as Hair says) on to the second round.

Only way the Bengals can screw this up -- and they can, oh, indeed they can -- is if Crabtree or Wells come out and Mikey gets his usual hard-on for an offensive skill player...

For me, the bottom line is this: we have the 6 pick. Which means that one of these blue-chippers:

Oher

Monroe

Smith

Maualuga

Curry

Orapko

...is guaranteed to be on the board. I hear any of those six names in he first round in April, I'm happy.

Same here,All of them would improve this team greatly.

I say, what do you want, vanilla or chocolate or strawberry? It's all good. Any way we go we fill a big hole. I lean toward D just because of the o-line depth this draft, but if the go OT, awesome and (as Hair says) on to the second round.

Defense first OT second then Center 3rd and maybe FA pickup would still be great IMO,people are to set in stone with OT only in first round...I'd welcome another Andrew whitworth type with open arms.

This year, with this team, gotta take the BPA...

All those mentioned would significantly improve the quality/depth at each positon.

I would,however, add Taylor Mays to the top prospect list. He's gotta be on the radar as well.

Following up on my earlier comment, espn says both Georgia QB Stafford and RB Moreno are coming out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=3815504

Stafford likely goes in the top 5, which will only push more guys down to the Bengals & improve their ability to trade down if they want to.

I have one request - can Larson and draft Huber from UC - the guy is a STUD punter. He is on the senior bowl squad.

Also take a good look at Barwin - great athlete who can play TE or DE as we all know, and can play ST's. Don't lose out on another Cole (although I don't think he'll be nearly that good as a DE)

good. what are the chances of us being able to trade the #6 pick for somewhere between 15-20, and getting an extra 2nd rounder?

Your guess is as good as mine.

I read today that Crabtree has apparently been making noises about reversing his previous decision and coming out. No stunner there. No word from Beanie yet. DE George Selvie said he's going back to school, though. He was a potential target in round 2 for the bengals.

I have one request - can Larson and draft Huber from UC - the guy is a STUD punter. He is on the senior bowl squad.

You and I don't agree very often so this moment is sorta special.

FWIW, I was barking about replacing Larson last season and I felt strongly enough to use a 5th round pick on a punter in one of my mocks. Used a 6th rounder in another. Neither suggestion was met with much support, but that was before Larson had an even worse season. I'd expect more support today, in part because of the best punter this year is a local favorite.

Last, I'm pretty sure the 2nd best punter in last years class went undrafted and after bouncing around a bit ended up buried on a practice squad. (Cleveland?) The odds are fairly good he'll shake loose again. If so, I'd be interested.

There are teams below us that would absolutely jump at the chance to get Crabtree and that is where I could envision a trade happening. If he were to get by Seattle at 4, he would certainly be sitting there for us with the next 5 teams all needing WR help. I would think Crabtree coming out would be the best chance for the possibility of us trading down.

There's always hoping right ???

Awww. :wub:

Anyhow, re a punter: I would love a new one. Only problem is that the Bengals inked Larson to a new five-year deal four days into the last FA period. To my knowledge, no numbers were ever released, but given that he made $1.3 million in 2007 on a one-year RFA tender, you have to figure it was in the $7-8 million range, maybe as high as $10 million, with probably a couple bills guaranteed. Even if the guarantees were on the small side, cutting Larson loose likely entails a cap hit, and I have to think Mikey will be reluctant to cut a guy he just handed a couple million to the year before anyhow. Especially if he has to swallow the cap hit and expense of moving Chad and/or cutting Levi and/or tagging TJ as well.

Appreciated, but it's just math. The Bengals are in good shape re: the draft. And if Stafford and/or Bradford declare, there's a good chance 2-3 of those guys are there. Thus the scenario: do we take, say, Oher or Malauga or Orapko?

Actually, it becomes a question of who we can get in the 2nd & 3rd rounds that will dictate our pick at #6 and #38.

Can they get a 'very good' OT at #38 - doubtful, though so many went last year that the demand is a little off.

Can they get a 'very good' DE at #38 - doubtful. There aren't that many, and everybody wants one.

Can they get a 'very good' ILB at #38 - more probable - not much demand for 4-3 ILB's & you have Rey-rey, Laryngitis, and Big Brandon Spikes....but I think they believe Dhani "Sell you a Bow-tie" Jones is okay.

Can they get a 'very good' OC at #70 - maybe Luigs or Caldwell.

Can they get a 'very good' RB at #70 - I don't know - the kid from Liberty or Shonn Greene might be there.

Only way the Bengals can screw this up -- and they can, oh, indeed they can -- is if Crabtree or Wells come out and Mikey gets his usual hard-on for an offensive skill player...

There are some websites declaring Moreno as a bigger, healthier Adrian Peterson, and a top 3 talent. Idiot-Mikey will be very hard pressed to pass on him if he gets past the Browns.

Awww. :wub:

Anyhow, re a punter: I would love a new one. Only problem is that the Bengals inked Larson to a new five-year deal four days into the last FA period. To my knowledge, no numbers were ever released, but given that he made $1.3 million in 2007 on a one-year RFA tender, you have to figure it was in the $7-8 million range, maybe as high as $10 million, with probably a couple bills guaranteed. Even if the guarantees were on the small side, cutting Larson loose likely entails a cap hit, and I have to think Mikey will be reluctant to cut a guy he just handed a couple million to the year before anyhow. Especially if he has to swallow the cap hit and expense of moving Chad and/or cutting Levi and/or tagging TJ as well.

I don't know the details of Larson's contract but a 6th or 7th round rookie would be much cheaper over the next 3 years than Larson. Even if the team eats some dead money in 2009, it would still be a money saving move, and therefore a possibility.

good. what are the chances of us being able to trade the #6 pick for somewhere between 15-20, and getting an extra 2nd rounder?

Everybody's guessing so why not one more?

Obviously the odds are remote under any circumstance, but I'll argue any hopes we might have will be determined by which and how many QB's declare, and which teams looking for a new QB are close enough to the Bengals #6 slot to realistically make a move.

It's not pretty.

IMHO San Francisco is the only team that best fits the profile, but sadly we know from our experiences last year they might lack the firepower to get from #10 to #6. Worse, I can't think of many scenarios where they'd need to. The teams drafting immediately ahead of them at #10 won't be interested in a QB, and the teams drafting immediately behind them aren't looking either. In fact, the teams drafting between 15-20 who are looking for a new QB would have to pay a hefty ransom just to get ahead of the 49'ers slot.

Mike Brown at the helm or not, I don't see it happening.

Well since everyone else has turned into "Carnac", let me clear my throat... aha aha aha...LOL

Ok, Levi Jones is going nowhere. Another offseason of him gambling and getting into fist fights with Joey Porter should mean he'll be healthy enough to start next season at left tackle.

- Since The Bengals Know this is as an automatic! - They realize that an offensive line consisting of

(LT) Levi Jones (LG) Andrew Whitworth © Who's our backup ? (RG) Bobbie Williams (RT) Anthony Collins

should be good enough to start the season.

I mean hey, They'll resign Stacey Andrews to a year or two deal and probably get him back after the first 6 games once he's cleared from the PUP list. So knowing that they'll have incredible depth for Levi's eventual knee or back injury by week 6 or 7, they will forgo the much needed offensive tackle at #6, and take............................................................................

Jeremy Maclin WR, Missouri!

Crazier things have happened........ Chris Perry..???????? I'm not saying... I'm just saying....!! :rolleyes:

Well since everyone else has turned into "Carnac", let me clear my throat... aha aha aha...LOL

Ok, Levi Jones is going nowhere. Another offseason of him gambling and getting into fist fights with Joey Porter should mean he'll be healthy enough to start next season at left tackle.

- Since The Bengals Know this is as an automatic! - They realize that an offensive line consisting of

(LT) Levi Jones (LG) Andrew Whitworth © Who's our backup ? (RG) Bobbie Williams (RT) Anthony Collins

should be good enough to start the season.

I mean hey, They'll resign Stacey Andrews to a year or two deal and probably get him back after the first 6 games once he's cleared from the PUP list. So knowing that they'll have incredible depth for Levi's eventual knee or back injury by week 6 or 7, they will forgo the much needed offensive tackle at #6, and take............................................................................

Jeremy Maclin WR, Missouri!

Crazier things have happened........ Chris Perry..???????? I'm not saying... I'm just saying....!! :rolleyes:

Well, I watched the great Philly vs NYG game today and boy did they spell Defense. On the other hand, neither offensive line moved much besides their own body mass.

Still given they have Carson Palmer, I think it would be a mistake to focus on defense on day 1 draft. Leave day 2 to the defense.

Just don't draft Beanie Wells.