Offseason Drama Off to an Early Start

HoosierCat

That puts his rehab in the 9-12 month range, which means that the earliest he would likely be back would be after week 5 of the regular season, if he is even cleared then medically.

I agree, which is why I think he'll still be around. With this injury, I would not expect Andrews to draw ANY interest in free agency. This opens the door for the Bengals to sign to, say, a 2-3 year deal with minimum salaries and little/no upfront money. Load it up with big bonuses, incentives and escalators tied to playing time, rushing yards, sacks, making the pro bowl, etc., so if he makes it back and plays his a$$ off, he gets paid. If not...shrug.

If some other team is dumb enough to offer a bigger deal, fine, buh-bye. But I doubt any will.

Not only would it probably not work out, to your comparison of Palmer to Andrews, but it would be a drag on already thin team resources from the medical staff to the trainers to the positon coach.

I'm gonna bet that Stacy has enough brains (as Carson did) to say, thanks but no thanks, to any help from out (on) crack medical staff.

I stand corrected. Apparently, Stacy wants to be crippled for life.

He said team doctor Angelo Colosimo will perform the surgery and even though he's a free agent, he'll rehab with the Bengals.

I know they're different, but after seeing how quickly Palmer recovered, nothing surprises me anymore with the medical advances these days. 100% agree with you Cat on the Bengals offering him a low offer, and letting him go if another deal is out there.

Also, something to consider. Stats Inc credited Stacy Andrews for giving up 9.5 sacks this season -- by far the most of any Bengals offensive lineman. On the other hand, the Bengals were in the top ten of yards averaged on the ground when running around Andrews.

Apparently, Stacy wants to be crippled for life.

He said team doctor Angelo Colosimo will perform the surgery and even though he's a free agent, he'll rehab with the Bengals.

Holy Smokes! What kind of madman plays knee ligament roulette? First Stacy takes the tag instead of a long-term deal, and now he lets the Bengals team doctor hack on his knee. Goodell should order him into compulsive gambler rehab just on general principle.

I know they're different, but after seeing how quickly Palmer recovered, nothing surprises me anymore with the medical advances these days. 100% agree with you Cat on the Bengals offering him a low offer, and letting him go if another deal is out there.

Also, something to consider. Stats Inc credited Stacy Andrews for giving up 9.5 sacks this season -- by far the most of any Bengals offensive lineman. On the other hand, the Bengals were in the top ten of yards averaged on the ground when running around Andrews.

I think keeping Andrews around is okay. However, my opinion is that he needs to be moved inside one spot to RG. They need to draft a LT and C, and have Collins or Whitworth play RT. Bobbie Williams is 32, and is going to be just plain old by 2010. It's just my opinion on the situation, but Andrews is not a high caliber RT, and assuming he rehabs well, he could be a decent RG for the Bengals in 2010 and beyond.

I think keeping Andrews around is okay. However, my opinion is that he needs to be moved inside one spot to RG. They need to draft a LT and C, and have Collins or Whitworth play RT. Bobbie Williams is 32, and is going to be just plain old by 2010. It's just my opinion on the situation, but Andrews is not a high caliber RT, and assuming he rehabs well, he could be a decent RG for the Bengals in 2010 and beyond.

I wouldn't have a problem with that. Though I would only argue that Williams is better suited at RG than Andrews. Plus, there's the issue of Williams having one more year left on contract, and Andrews signing, which would mean there's really no place to put him. I 100% agree that we're without RT now, with Andrews or not, that spot should be filled by our first pick (if we go that route).

Better yet, move Whit out to RT, and find us some natural guards, along with a center. There's a lot they could do. I just hope none of them includes Eric Ghiaciuc or Levi Jones (I loved Jones, but, with his body breaking down, he's done).

I wouldn't have a problem with that. Though I would only argue that Williams is better suited at RG than Andrews. Plus, there's the issue of Williams having one more year left on contract, and Andrews signing, which would mean there's really no place to put him. I 100% agree that we're without RT now, with Andrews or not, that spot should be filled by our first pick (if we go that route).

Better yet, move Whit out to RT, and find us some natural guards, along with a center. There's a lot they could do. I just hope none of them includes Eric Ghiaciuc or Levi Jones (I loved Jones, but, with his body breaking down, he's done).

To me, Whit seems a better fit for LT and then Collins moves to RT.

Livings has impressed me at LG enough to be pencilled as off-season starter.

El Matador can take notes once they (dreaming here) make a play for Birk at C.

That leaves Andrews to butchered...er, be signed to a low-ball, performanc-laden contract, Jones to get 86'd, and draft Monroe in r1 for long-term depth/starting. Drafting another G can be done in r3-5.

Honestly, after seeing Livings, Roland, and Collins (Freeney aside) perform, the cupboard is not as bare as I thought. Kinda looks like the O-line has been a little mis-coached, mis-estimated....Mr. Alexander, please bring your playbook to the GM's off...I mean, Mikey's office.

I dunno.

Yeah, the Oline looked better of late, but let's keep in mind that the line was not playing against contenders during that time

I'm not so sure Dennis Roland et al looks so good blocking against Pittsburgh or Baltimore

Promising? Hell yes. The three newb lineman (Collins, Rolland, and Livings) deserve an extended look-sie

Proven? Absolutely not

But I'll take "promising" every damn day over the absolutely horrific performance of the OL in the preseason and the first half of the season.

Every OL in every camp this year, voluntary or not, needs to have the following picture pasted to their lockers to keep it at the front of their minds at all times going forward. No Caption wanted or needed.

610x.jpg

Honestly, after seeing Livings, Roland, and Collins (Freeney aside) perform, the cupboard is not as bare as I thought. Kinda looks like the O-line has been a little mis-coached, mis-estimated....Mr. Alexander, please bring your playbook to the GM's off...I mean, Mikey's office.

Sorry... but that list isn't giving me that safe secure feeling. Certainly not the way Levi, Steiny, Braham, Williams, and Big Willie did back in '05/'06.

I like Whitworth, I think Collins shows some promise, and Williams is a safe, if unspectacular, vet... but none of the rest of this O-Line roster should be anything more than depth. To view it any other way will only result in further mediocrity in the running game, and continued injury problems to the franchise QB.

I think the Bengals should give Collins a good look and see if he is a viable option at RT. If so, Whitworth, Williams, and Collins are the returning starters on the O-line... but new talent/early draft picks need to be the solution for the Center and LT position. Levi and Ghiaciuc are not viable options if there is any desire to keep Palmer healthy and reestablish a running game.

Sorry... but that list isn't giving me that safe secure feeling. Certainly not the way Levi, Steiny, Braham, Williams, and Big Willie did back in '05/'06.

I like Whitworth, I think Collins shows some promise, and Williams is a safe, if unspectacular, vet... but none of the rest of this O-Line roster should be anything more than depth. To view it any other way will only result in further mediocrity in the running game, and continued injury problems to the franchise QB.

I think the Bengals should give Collins a good look and see if he is a viable option at RT. If so, Whitworth, Williams, and Collins are the returning starters on the O-line... but new talent/early draft picks need to be the solution for the Center and LT position. Levi and Ghiaciuc are not viable options if there is any desire to keep Palmer healthy and reestablish a running game.

Really there is just Whitworth and Collins that are players for the future, that means the 2009 draft will be all about the Oline. Carson has sustained two serious injuries in the last 4 years, he is approaching 30 years old and the offensive line is one of the worst in Cincinnati Bengals history. Who could complain if they used rounds 1, 2 and 3 for linemen? I wouldn't.

Sweetie, now keep in mind he's including both DL and OL......

And until you start naming names rather than a ranking of which positions are in greatest need I think I'll keep both hands up.

Assuming you are still in your usual 32-day-PMS tizzy following this clarification, can you clarify what you DO want?

Well, I'd like to see a return to those golden days when a man didn't leave his house without a proper hat....or for that matter a cigarette.

Sweetie, now keep in mind he's including both DL and OL......

And until you start naming names rather than a ranking of which positions are in greatest need I think I'll keep both hands up.

Assuming you are still in your usual 32-day-PMS tizzy following this clarification, can you clarify what you DO want?

Well, I'd like to see a return to those golden days when a man didn't leave his house without a proper hat....or for that matter a cigarette.

I thinks its blindingly obvious what they need

1. LT

2. C

3. DT

4. MLB

5. OG

6. RB

Course in the draft, things change. But drafting #6 they should be able to get a top 3 LT or a number 1 DT, a number 1 RB, a number 1 MLB so something should get fixed with their first pick.

Then again, the Oline fu*ked up so much this season from Carson Palmer, to the running game, to the deep ball to exhausting the defense by the 4th quarter that I can't blame the Bengals for going overboard on the OLine either. It wouldn't bother me if they used their first 3 picks for a LT, C and OG IF they could find top guys or what they think are steals with their pick. All this shows is one draft ain't going to fix this wreck.

I thinks its blindingly obvious what they need....

Well there's your problem.

1. LT

2. C

3. DT

4. MLB

5. OG

6. RB

A few random thoughts.

First, I'd commit to Benson AND Johnson, negating the need for yet another draft pick being burned on a RB.

Second, I can make a much stronger case for adding a DE than DT. In fact, I'm betting most Bengal fans skim right past the DE position soley because of the salaries and contract status of the Bengals two starters. Based upon everything else DE is a far greater need.

And isn't it ironic how the only offensive line position you didn't list is the now vacant RT position?