Today's draft picture

combatbengal

The bottom line is this: if you're a Bengals fan, right now you are also a Chiefs, Rams, Seahawks, Raiders and (gulp) Browns fan.

You'd think so and in most seasons you'd be right. But not this year.

Bottom Line: I'd much rather see this team draft from the 4-6 slot than the top 3.

My bet is that when all is said and done in a couple weeks, the Bengals will be picking no higher than their current 4th -- and the odds they end up in the 7 hole are at least even. Cleveland is imploding and KC had one of those soul-crushing losses last weekend. And of the teams in competition for picks 2-7, Cincy is the only one that doesn't face a playoff or potential playoff team in the last two weeks, and all but KC play those teams on the road in the final week. Of course, some of those teams may be resting starters, but you have to figure that most of the poor teams will have already checked out for the year, too.

At 4 I'd say we pretty safe still getting top prospect Oline,hopefully lions go QB Chiefs go DE :|

We CANNOT go anywhere else but offensive line on draft day in 2009! To do otherwise is pure insanity.

Agreed like if some how top 3 OT's were gone and we couldn't trade down then I could live with top DE I guess,But Oline is the only thing I truly wanna see 2 of the top 3 picks...Hell Dream Draft would be Oher,Mack & top guard available in round 3 End I really just want us to find a fast guy who can rush the passer on 3rd down.

My Dream Draft, I know most of these guys wouldnt be around after we picked but it's a dream remember.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/bigeast/0-2-303...nsive-line.html

Big East year-end rankings: Defensive line

December 18, 2008 6:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Brian Bennett

My year-end positional rankings now switch to the defensive side, starting up front with the defensive linemen. It's a tough task ranking these as individual players because there were a lot of strong defenders in the Big East trenches this season and because the end and tackle jobs are so different. But here's my best shot:

1. George Selvie, DE, South Florida: Forget that his stats were down this season. Selvie is still the most feared presence up front and the one who commands the most attention. When he was fully healthy this year, he was a demon.

2. Cody Brown, DE, Connecticut: Brown had a strong case for being Big East defensive player of the year for the way he terrorized quarterbacks both through sacks and batting passes down.

3. Connor Barwin, DE, Cincinnati: In just his first year of playing defense, Barwin proved a quick study, leading the league in sacks.

4. Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse: Probably the best interior lineman in the Big East, Jones has the strength and athleticism to succeed in the NFL.

5. Jamaal Westerman, DE, Rutgers: Westerman finished tied for third in the Big East in sacks, and when you consider that he played nearly half the year with a torn biceps, that's even more impressive.

6. Terrill Byrd, DT, Cincinnati: An All-American last year, Byrd got off to a slow start this year because of an early suspension. But he was back to being his dominant self by the end of the season.

The bottom line is this: if you're a Bengals fan, right now you are also a Chiefs, Rams, Seahawks, Raiders and (gulp) Browns fan.

You'd think so and in most seasons you'd be right. But not this year.

Bottom Line: I'd much rather see this team draft from the 4-6 slot than the top 3.

My bet is that when all is said and done in a couple weeks, the Bengals will be picking no higher than their current 4th -- and the odds they end up in the 7 hole are at least even.

Sounds about right. And again, I prefer the four, five, or even six slot to the two or three hole.....so a slip in draft order doesn't bug me at all.

Yet Another Bottom Line: The Cleveland Browns must be crushed. :lol:

The pick will be a OT in the first round. Mike will not pay big money to 3 DE's on the roster, unless a 3-4 D is in consideration for next year, which is also doubtful considering the improvement this year under Zimmer. That sad, I see the Bengals picking Smith or possibly Monroe. A trade down is also possible, depending on a team picking in the 8-12 range, if another that wants one of the DE's. If the Bengals somehow trade down further in the draft, the Bengals could grab a DE at that point, with the advantage of having an extra top 100 pick in the trade to address the OL. Marvin has wanted a pure pash rusher, and has missed with Manny Lawson and Derrick Harvey last year, who the team coveted quietly.

I am one who happens to think that the Bengals OT's of the future are potentially already here in Whitworth (RT) and Collins LT). Many forget that Collins was a consensus first team All-American as a Junior last year, ahead of many guys who were selected last year and all of this year's T's. It's easy to assume that he would've been a top 15 pick had he come out this year. If the Bengals also believe that, it leaves the Bengals to potentially take BPA, which is always the best way to draft, although many are calling Smith an Orlando Pace clone.