The Bengals will draft Beanie Wells!

icehole3

Re the draft, from Walt C's mouth to Mike Brown's ears:

1. Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

2. George Selvie, DE, South Florida

3. Antoine Caldwell, C, Alabama

I was about to post something almost identical. Michael Oher in the first and Antoine Caldwell in the third. I think we'll drop Stacey Andrews and move Anthony Collins to RT. That would be a killer OLine in the making. I think Oher is a better LT prospect than Andre Smith. Smith did not look that good against Florida.

If the Bengals take Chris Wells no one will ever see me on this board again until Mike Brown dies. It's as simple as that. I will care about football strictly for fantasy football purposes, because it will be the stake in the heart of this team having a chance of rebounding. It is so obvious that O-Line is the primary need for this team. Carson Palmer couldn't stay healthy through the pre-season for Christ's sake.

Now... I know that Beanie Wells will be quite the temptation to Mike Brown. Similar to the way that Jerry Jones probably would have had sex with Darren McFadden - but he made the move that showed he had a brain in his head and used his two first round picks rather than trading up.

I could see Mike Brown thinking that a skill player from Ohio State would sell tickets... but as much as I hate him, I don't believe he's stupid enough to be unaware that a RB can't perform without an O-Line (and Cedric Benson is quite suitable).

I can believe he would ignore the injury history. I can believe he would pass on an obvious top-tier DT or LB to take Beanie Wells... but if Smith or Oher are there that will be the pick. It has to be... or I'm gone.

If the Bengals take Chris Wells no one will ever see me on this board again until Mike Brown dies. It's as simple as that. I will care about football strictly for fantasy football purposes, because it will be the stake in the heart of this team having a chance of rebounding. It is so obvious that O-Line is the primary need for this team. Carson Palmer couldn't stay healthy through the pre-season for Christ's sake.

Now... I know that Beanie Wells will be quite the temptation to Mike Brown. Similar to the way that Jerry Jones probably would have had sex with Darren McFadden - but he made the move that showed he had a brain in his head and used his two first round picks rather than trading up.

I could see Mike Brown thinking that a skill player from Ohio State would sell tickets... but as much as I hate him, I don't believe he's stupid enough to be unaware that a RB can't perform without an O-Line (and Cedric Benson is quite suitable).

I can believe he would ignore the injury history. I can believe he would pass on an obvious top-tier DT or LB to take Beanie Wells... but if Smith or Oher are there that will be the pick. It has to be... or I'm gone.

Re: the bolded part, Derek...if anything could drive me to that same point, it is the scenario you just laid out.

Can we all stop drinking the Tebow koolaid please? Even IF QB becomes a pressing need for this team, and I don't think it will, Tebow will not be a big-time NFL QB. Let's not repeat the Klingler/Smith mistakes.

Why the hell not? Greg, your whining about poor draft picks in the past is just a "theme". A couple of wins and you'll change your tune. You need to realize that the front office and coaching staff know alot more than you do about professional football. Besides, you don't know how hard it is to run an NFL franchise!

Can we all stop drinking the Tebow koolaid please? Even IF QB becomes a pressing need for this team, and I don't think it will, Tebow will not be a big-time NFL QB. Let's not repeat the Klingler/Smith mistakes.

Why the hell not? Greg, your whining about poor draft picks in the past is just a "theme". A couple of wins and you'll change your tune. You need to realize that the front office and coaching staff know alot more than you do about professional football. Besides, you don't know how hard it is to run an NFL franchise!

My bad. I've been 'placed'.

:cheers:

Ooops - I forgot my perfect draft scenario

Well, as it involves multiple trade-downs, you can probably continue to forget it, 'cause as we all know, Mikey don't play that.

Like your idea, though. A monster LB offensive coordinators had to account for would be a huge boost to the whole D. And sweeping up Mack would be sweet.

This isn't really a Bengals conversation... but I don't see why Tebow won't be a decent NFL QB. I think Stafford has the more traditional talent to be an NFL star... but Tebow seems very much like he could be an even more agile version of Tony Romo. He can avoid the pass rush and make things happen with his feet, and that's when he makes big plays. I don't see any reason Why Tebow couldn't be that too.

As far as the Bengals drafting him... stop it.

This isn't really a Bengals conversation... but I don't see why Tebow won't be a decent NFL QB. I think Stafford has the more traditional talent to be an NFL star... but Tebow seems very much like he could be an even more agile version of Tony Romo. He can avoid the pass rush and make things happen with his feet, and that's when he makes big plays. I don't see any reason Why Tebow couldn't be that too.

Haven't watched him but two or three games, but the knocks I hear are: strong but erratic arm, takes too many looks downfield before throwing, which will get him eaten up in NFL, and whie a decent runner, not good or fast enough to get by NFL players.

Kiper has him fourth round at best if he leaves college this year. Don't know, I think he'd go second due to QB crisis in NFL, but who knows.

Haven't watched him but two or three games, but the knocks I hear are: strong but erratic arm, takes too many looks downfield before throwing, which will get him eaten up in NFL, and whie a decent runner, not good or fast enough to get by NFL players.

Kiper has him fourth round at best if he leaves college this year. Don't know, I think he'd go second due to QB crisis in NFL, but who knows.

Did you guys finish reading my post about Tebow? I was JOKING! :rolleyes:

He will be a decent pro QB though...especially if you look at some of the starting QB's. There is no way you can possibly say he wouldn't be a better QB than at least a quarter of the QB's in the NFL right now.

Did you guys finish reading my post about Tebow? I was JOKING! :rolleyes:

He will be a decent pro QB though...especially if you look at some of the starting QB's. There is no way you can possibly say he wouldn't be a better QB than at least a quarter of the QB's in the NFL right now.

Here's where I will meet you half way. Let's assume Tebow makes the field as an NFL quarterback. I absolutely have no doubts in my mind he will have a better NFL career than Vince Young. I never thought he had what it took to make it in the NFL. Tebow has both more intelligence and heart than Young.

Here's where I will meet you half way. Let's assume Tebow makes the field as an NFL quarterback. I absolutely have no doubts in my mind he will have a better NFL career than Vince Young. I never thought he had what it took to make it in the NFL. Tebow has both more intelligence and heart than Young.

:dots: Since you guys hijacked the thread....when was the last time an option quarterback made it big in the NFL? The spread offense doesn't seem to be very popular with the better teams :rolleyes:

I think TT is a great college QB, and if a team is willing to risk him, a great NFL prospect ala Mike Vick (with better decision making abilities). Compared to Stafford or Bradford, though, he has a slow release, bad mechanics, and has never had to go through 3 reads before...it's, 1, 2, RUN!

:dots: Since you guys hijacked the thread....when was the last time an option quarterback made it big in the NFL? The spread offense doesn't seem to be very popular with the better teams :rolleyes:

I think TT is a great college QB, and if a team is willing to risk him, a great NFL prospect ala Mike Vick (with better decision making abilities). Compared to Stafford or Bradford, though, he has a slow release, bad mechanics, and has never had to go through 3 reads before...it's, 1, 2, RUN!

Well...there you go.

And we didn't hijack this thread THAT bad, other threads considered. We're still talking about the draft--ish.

Gimmick Offenses have made a new revival in the NFL this past year with the Dolphins and other team's knockoff of the Dolphins. Just out of curiosity where has it become known that Tim Tebow has an erratic arm? in his 3 years with Florida he has 66.7%, 66.9%, and 64.9% completion percentages. Not bad really when you take into account that he plays in the SEC.

Stafford who also plays in the SEC has had 52.7%, 55.7%, and 61.1%

Parker-Wilson 63.6%, 57%, 52.2%, and 57.7%

and Tebow is erratic?

Gimmick Offenses have made a new revival in the NFL this past year with the Dolphins and other team's knockoff of the Dolphins. Just out of curiosity where has it become known that Tim Tebow has an erratic arm? in his 3 years with Florida he has 66.7%, 66.9%, and 64.9% completion percentages. Not bad really when you take into account that he plays in the SEC.

Stafford who also plays in the SEC has had 52.7%, 55.7%, and 61.1%

Parker-Wilson 63.6%, 57%, 52.2%, and 57.7%

and Tebow is erratic?

Sporty - I don't think Tebow's "erratic", and never said so. I'm questioning him as a pocket player, but will readily agree that he's a helluva athlete.

From NFL Draft Prospect: "Tebow is an extremely smart quarterback, rarely making bad decisions. At 6'3 and 240 pounds, he is a load to bring down when he tucks it away and runs, displaying stellar speed in the 4.55 range for a big man. He is deceptively nimble and elusive as well. The questions surrounding Tebow in projecting him to the next level deal with passing the football. While Tebow looked great throwing the ball last season, he needs to prove he can sit in the pocket, handle pressure, and throw the ball accurately. He has a tendency to throw off his back foot, and lacks the quick release and arm strength of the NFL's elite quarterbacks. Urban Meyer's Florida offense has put Tebow in ideal conditions to succeed, so it remains to be seen how he will respond in passing situations against NFL defenses. "

So, he could very well succeed in a 'gimicky' offense, but it would have to be proven to me that he can flourish in a pro set.

Anyone who doesnt think Mike Brown will draft Beanie Wells should read Mike Brown's quote about "If we just had Odell Thurman this year we wouldve won."

I think Beanie will drop out of the top 10 based on this year's draft. Look at all the great Running backs that were scooped up in the later rounds and teams are going to take notice of this. One of the two top RB's are going to the Jets, the other? Maybe the Cardinals.