T.J. Over-rated?

rwjcgc

TJ is a grinder. He is not in the class of Chad or TO or guys like that but I would take him any day over either of those guys.

If Holt makes a couple of those catches that might have attracted some attention away from TJ. BUt with Henry being a non-factor and no running game to speak of it is pretty easy to bracket a guy like TJ and keep him bottled up.

T.J. is just an average NFL receiver without Chad there to attract most of the attention of the defense.

Maybe it's just me but I'd say anyone claiming TJ is just an average WR is just as silly as those who rank him amongst the elite.

He is what he is. (Damn good.)

Also his attempt to tackle Polamalu after the interception was laughable.

On this point we agree. Why let go of the hair? Why not pull the bastard to the ground by using his own trademark hair as a much needed handle for some very serious pulling, yanking, and whatnot?

And then I remind myself of TJ's long ponytail and.....(voice trails off)

T.J. may be a bit above average but he isn't the superstar that some claim. I don't think he is capable of being

the #1 receiver on a team.

Do you think that he is worthy of the franchise tag? It's fairly obvious that he isn't going to willingly sign to stay here. I may

have a different opinion if I was in his shoes, but he doesn't come across well when they interview him.

It's all me, me, me. His stunt this preseason, in my opinion, was to try to lay the groundwork to get

out of here. I'd be interested to hear Marvin's honest opinion on him. For that matter, I'd like to hear

his honest opinion on anything. Surely he can't be the mindless, simple drone that comes across when he makes

a public statement. He must do this on purpose.

I know it may be comparing apples and oranges but look at Denver. They lose most every running back

and have been pressed to go mostly to the pass. Fitz isn't Cutler and their scheme is obviously doing better

than ours but they can at least find a way to get the ball in their various receivers hands and they actually catch

the ball. I'm not convinced that Housh can start for that team.

The blocking comment above was spot on, when is the last time you saw quality blocking from the Bengals receivers?

T.J. may be a bit above average but he isn't the superstar that some claim. I don't think he is capable of being

the #1 receiver on a team.

Teams demand different things from their #1's....and I'm willing to bet the Bengals demand more than most. So I agree TJ can't be a true #1 on many teams, including in Cincy over the long term. But IMHO you'll be hard pressed to name more than one or two #2's better than or equal to TJ, and I do think he's good enough to be a #1 option on a handful of teams.

Do you think that he is worthy of the franchise tag?

Well, what's the real value of the franchise tag? It buys you a year of service from a player you wouldn't normally be able to keep, right? So ask yourself how important it is to keep TJ in stripes if the offseason finds the Bengals trading Chad for draft picks and dumping Chris Henry yet again. Personally, I have no problem with the idea of tagging TJ. Nor do I have any problem with the idea of waving goodbye a year later.

I may have a different opinion if I was in his shoes, but he doesn't come across well when they interview him.

It's all me, me, me. His stunt this preseason, in my opinion, was to try to lay the groundwork to get

out of here. I'd be interested to hear Marvin's honest opinion on him.

I disagree, but only to a point. In my opinion TJ comes across as a team player and a leader on most occasions, and Pootie can play for my team anytime. That said, I agree there's plenty of diva in the man, and his positioning for a big payday couldn't be less subtle or more blatant. And that matters because when coupled with the money grabbing antics of his bestest buddy, Chad [This Space for Rent] Johnson, the lasting impressison is "Don't bug me with all dat team shid. I'm getting mine."

I'm not convinced that Housh can start for that team.

Tj can't start for Denver? I disagree. He catches almost everything they throw at him, runs great routes, and competes very hard for yac. He's a football player, and could find a starting spot on almost any NFL roster.

I'm not convinced that Housh can start for that team.

Tj can't start for Denver? I disagree. He catches almost everything they throw at him, runs great routes, and competes very hard for yac. He's a football player, and could find a starting spot on almost any NFL roster.

He can't be too great at getting yards after the catch since he averages about two yards per catch over the last few seasons. And that is WITH Chad drawing all the coverage.

He basically fills the role that a TE plays for most teams. He is what he is. A tough possession WR who is reliable and will pick up enough yards to convert 3rd down and 4 when you need it.

He can't be too great at getting yards after the catch since he averages about two yards per catch over the last few seasons. And that is WITH Chad drawing all the coverage.

I agree with this. He is a receiver running TE routes. He has great hands.

Not counting poor game management and horrible drafting, here are the biggest mistakes of the Lewis era (in no particular order):

1) letting Steinbach go

2) letting Spikes go

3) franchise tag on Smith

4) franchise tag on Andrews

5) not trading BOTH Chad and TJ before this season when their value was at its peak

6) giving Chad a huge contract after the playoff meltdown against the Steelers

Please free to add to my list.

i think tj's big boon is that he's willing to cut across the field and sacrifice himself for a catch knowing it's possible he'll be killed in the process. he does those short to medium routes, that's why he's thrown to. since fitz can't throw pasta on a wall and make it stick, that's leaves the deep threat, i.e. ocho loco, out of the loop for all but relatively piddly stuff just to remind the other team every now and then that he's there.

agreed, i think tj is very franchisable, and another year with him wouldn't hurt the bengals one bit. having just seen a bit of his locker room interview in regards to the ocho loco incident, he's clearly unhappy with what happened, but is smart enough to bite is tongue. certainly he wants to jet outta cincy, and who can blame him, but realistically i think they need him.

is there a little diva in him? sure. i'd imagine that that's a personality trait in the majority of receivers, though, and i'd say it's almost to be expected... but you hope they're not like that.

Wow JoeWrong makes his 1 comment every couple months and what a great one at that lol, anyways i like TJ and feel he should stay here, otherwise im not likin the wideout postion very much at all next year.

Only thing i dont like about TJ is it seems after every play he gets up and yells at officials because he dosnt get a call, i know last nite they missed one, but he does this every week. Ummmm i wonder if thats why he didnt get that call last night, because they know how much he complains to them.

the officials wearing blinders against tj's facemask wasn't the only thing they missed. the very next play, a bengal was wrestled to the ground on the kickoff (it was after and behind the catch) and as he was sitting on his head some steeler just came up and gave him a right good cheap shot. good sound effect, too. dunno, to me it was blatant holding and a late hit, but, oh, well.

i always thought tj played the boy who cried wolf a bit much. there's a little theatrics involved in these things, sure, but sometimes i want to say 'cool it, shatner, it's not that big a deal.'

What else would we spend that 6million on? yes TJ is worth it I'd just feel bad because he's getting older and time running out for one last big contract...

I just hope they don't let TJ walk for nothing tag him but then atleast find a team whos willing give up a little something if not he remains with us for one more

year well Card and Simpson develope.

Some of you guys are on to many drugs! TJ is a leader on this team. He's carried the Bengals this year. Yes I know we've only won one game, but he's producing something! Chad hasn't done anything! The running game hasn't produced! The QB hasn't gotten the ball down the field. TJ is the only WR that goes across the field. He's the only WR that actually breaks tackles and gains positive yards after a catch. All this trash talk about TJ. If the Bengals screw up and let him go to another team, some of you guys talking all this crap will cry about how good he is with a better team. It's real easy for some of you to talk this crap, but none of you are out there taking the hits that he's taking.

T.J. is really good but he isn't elite. He is 31 and will demand a big contract. T.J. doesn't talk as much s**t as Chad but he is a trash talker. He seems like he always throws a hissy fit in the middle of the game. If we get Crabtree in the draft, we can turn the page on both Chad and TJ and get some sophisticated WR's in the fold.

If we don't get some offensive lineman to block for whoever the QB is, it won't matter if we have Crabtree as a WR. He'll never get the ball. They need to build up their offensive and defensive lines before they draft any more receivers or running backs.

If we don't get some offensive lineman to block for whoever the QB is, it won't matter if we have Crabtree as a WR. He'll never get the ball. They need to build up their offensive and defensive lines before they draft any more receivers or running backs.

As Much as I want Oher or even Smith,you can't go in to the draft expecting to get one unless your picking top 2 atm were not....Plus doesn't mean Oline get's ignored because say we get first? or even a second for ocho we could still pick up 2-3 linemen in top 3 rounds.

TJ's numbers don't necessarily make your eyes pop out of their sockets, especially the 10 yards per catch this year and last. But watching him play, it's easy to see his value to this team. He runs those tough routes over the middle, takes the big hits, and gains the yards necessary for first downs. If it were up to me, I would tag him next year, and let him go the next. By that time, hopefully the younger guys are ready to play full time.

As Much as I want Oher or even Smith,you can't go in to the draft expecting to get one unless your picking top 2 atm were not....Plus doesn't mean Oline get's ignored because say we get first? or even a second for ocho we could still pick up 2-3 linemen in top 3 rounds.

If the Bengals do not draft linemen, (offensive or defensive) 3 out of their 1st 5 picks in 2009, it'll be just another wasted draft. How many times must I say this!?! Draft linemen, linemen, and MORE linemen!!