Trading up in to the bottom of the 1st?

Kazkal

I'm sorry - did you actually go with a SAFETY in 1?

and no C until r4?

When did JoeWrong take over Kingwilly's account here?

...ouch.

but seriously, have you....SEEN....Mays play? His star does not shine nearly as bright s it could since USC has a tackling machine for a LB crew, but seriously, have you seen Mays play?

Guy is head and shoulders above every S prospect since Sean Taylor, and on par with him physically but smarter. I think he will be a Top 5 pick if he comes out. My fear is that he goes to a division rival (f cleveland). Put it this way, the guy is a blue chip player at a positon this team has had issues with. plenty of OT's out there but only one Talyor Mays.

couple/few highlights:

Mays is a graduate of O'Dea High School. Mays was named a 2005 Parade All-American and the Gatorade Washington player of the year. He also ran track where he was a 2-time state 3A champion in both the 100 and 200 meters. Following his high school career, Mays was invited to play in the 2006 U.S. Army All-American Bowl. Mays elected to go to USC, crediting the personality and style of Coach Pete Carroll as a major factor in his decision.

Before the 2008 season, ESPN The Magazine named Mays one of college football's top two "workout warriors" for running an electronically timed 40 this spring in 4.32 seconds, doing 26 reps with 225 pounds, having a vertical jumping 41 inches, and doing a standing broad jump of 11-4 with a 6-3, 226 pound frame with 6 percent body fat. He entered USC weighing 215 and posted a vertical jump of 35 inches and a broad jump of 10-0.

Mays' reputation as an elite player in college football was further emphasized by Pete Carroll's mighty praise, stating: "Taylor is doing the best job of anybody that's ever played for us in the years I've been here. He's all over the field, he's making impact plays, he's doing what a true free safety does. He kind of covers for everybody, and if somebody makes a mistake or somebody gives up a yard on the coverage, he's there to help you out and all that. He's just done a great job, and he's doing it with statement plays, as well."

and no C until r4?

...ouch.

but seriously, have you....SEEN....Mays play? His star does not shine nearly as bright s it could since USC has a tackling machine for a LB crew, but seriously, have you seen Mays play?

Guy is head and shoulders above every S prospect since Sean Taylor, and on par with him physically but smarter. I think he will be a Top 5 pick if he comes out. My fear is that he goes to a division rival (f cleveland). Put it this way, the guy is a blue chip player at a positon this team has had issues with. plenty of OT's out there but only one Talyor Mays.

couple/few highlights:

Mays is a graduate of O'Dea High School. Mays was named a 2005 Parade All-American and the Gatorade Washington player of the year. He also ran track where he was a 2-time state 3A champion in both the 100 and 200 meters. Following his high school career, Mays was invited to play in the 2006 U.S. Army All-American Bowl. Mays elected to go to USC, crediting the personality and style of Coach Pete Carroll as a major factor in his decision.

Before the 2008 season, ESPN The Magazine named Mays one of college football's top two "workout warriors" for running an electronically timed 40 this spring in 4.32 seconds, doing 26 reps with 225 pounds, having a vertical jumping 41 inches, and doing a standing broad jump of 11-4 with a 6-3, 226 pound frame with 6 percent body fat. He entered USC weighing 215 and posted a vertical jump of 35 inches and a broad jump of 10-0.

Mays' reputation as an elite player in college football was further emphasized by Pete Carroll's mighty praise, stating: "Taylor is doing the best job of anybody that's ever played for us in the years I've been here. He's all over the field, he's making impact plays, he's doing what a true free safety does. He kind of covers for everybody, and if somebody makes a mistake or somebody gives up a yard on the coverage, he's there to help you out and all that. He's just done a great job, and he's doing it with statement plays, as well."

You about sold me on him. If he's this outstanding I can see spending a first on him. Convince Dan Snyder he could have beaten us if he'd had Ocho, then trade for their first in '09 and use that on a tackle.

You about sold me on him. If he's this outstanding I can see spending a first on him.

I've pimped Mays myself, but only to a point. Truth be told I consider him an outstanding prospect, and I think his stock will go through the roof once he starts running around the combine in short pants. But in the coming weeks and months I think we'll start hearing whispers about a lack of big plays and overall production. Those whispers will be countered with some very legit talk about how teams refused to challenge Mays whenever possible, how rarely USC has been beaten deep over the last two seasons, and how impressively Mays stepped up his game after fellow backfield mate Kevin Ellison was injured.

Not sure where he's projected to go, but I doubt there will be a strong consenus opinion about Mays as his backers will claim his best football is still ahead of him while his detractors will point to the fairly modest production and wonder where the bang is.

I would love a safety in this year's draft, but what I would really love is for some extra draft picks....

It seems teams like Denver, New England, Dallas, Eagles, always have two first round picks. They always make moves to improve themselves on draft day, and we sit idly by waiting for someone to call out our number like we've got tickets at a butcher shop.

Based upon GBNreports.com top 100....

Here's my top 4 picks

#4. Michael Oher OT, Ole Miss - If we're picking here, Offensive Tackle has to be the pick. Michael Jenkins, Crabtree, Curry, are all very tempting, but if we can't protect Palmer, we can't win.

#36. Tyson Jackson DE, LSU - He may not be a true 4-3 defensive end, but he's relentless. He's an upgrade over Odom or Geathers in my book. He's very much like Clemsons Phillip Merling, where he's adept at both pass rushing and run stopping.

#68. Really torn here..... Antoine Caldwell C, Alabama, or James Davis RB, Clemson.... I know we all think Ghiaucic stinks, but I think he's adequate. I have to think that James Davis RB, Clemson gives us an upgrade over our current runningbacks, and he fills an immediate need. 5'10 210 with good balance, power, speed, and shiftiness. Catches pretty good too.

#100(compensation picks change this #) Nick Harris SS, Oklahoma - At 6'2 230 he's a linebacker for a Safety or maybe he's the second coming of David Fulcher. Either Way, he's needed. If he runs well, he'll go in the second round.

and no C until r4?

...ouch.

couple/few highlights:

I think he is more Laron Landry than Sean T; he's not quite as physical as Sean Taylor was, but then again, who is? Once he runs, he'll be a top 10 pick. I've also read that he is more than a SS type than a true centerfield/ballhawking S, which the team hasn't had since at least Kaesviharn. I would be OK with the pick, though. I am one who doesn't believe that we need an OT as much as others. I think that Collins could be the answer at LT and he needs another year starting to prove otherwise. Another thing to remember is that Collins was a 1st team All-American last year and would have surely been a 1st rounder this year. He's almost like having an extra 1st round pick with the benefit of a year in the system already. Alexander has done a good job over the years in coaching guys up. Levi is also in the picture and will still be here in '09, due to his potential cap hit if released.

Is anyone else sick of hearing the claim of, "This guy would have been a first rounder this year if he had stayed in school so it's like we got an extra first round pick" crap ?? The same thing was said of Ahmad Brooks and Mathias Askew. There are probably more... I just want to see the team actually have a scouting staff that can give the team a better than average estimate of how a player is going to produce at the next level and stop taking chances on "developing" a player they deem as having all the potential and they just need to be coached up.