Marvin Lewis

volcom69

Was this just the quote of a broken man that wants out of Cincy or just a defensive coordinator in a coaches position?

Neither. I think it was just the quote of a liar. Marvin lies in his press conferences all the time.

And speaking of motivating players, I think that those lies are one of the tools he uses to motivate them.

They know he'll never call them out in public. He doesn't humiliate them on the sidelines or badmouth them to reporters. In my opinion this is one of the qualities that makes players want to play for him.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that Marvin is this way. He doesn't respect the press or feel any obligation regarding keeping fans informed of his thought processes or the internal workings of the team. I think this quality also puts him in good stead with his employer.

So when I hear that Marvin said he doesn't motivate players, they should already be motivated, I feel I know as much about that issue as I did before I heard the quote. Nothing.

Agreed. Even if he is not the fiery type, other coaches in the league have had success without yelling and screaming at the players. Tony Dungy anyone?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't there an article recently where Marvin says he doesn't motivate players and that he doesn't feel he should have to? He says if they can't motivate themselves there is something wrong. I don't know about anyone else, but he is the first coach I have ever heard says something like that.

I've heard that many times from coaches in several different sports. It's a classic "you're a pro now" type of statement. I also agree with COB, however, that Marvin loves to give the press quotes that get everybody riled up and then, when you stop to think about it, really don't mean much of anything. In terms of statements to the press, he's kinda like a MUCH smarter Ocho Cinco.

We have a London-based soccor team here in the UK called Spurs. Up to a month ago they had won only 1 game all season in the Premier League under a good Manager who just couldn't get them playing well. He wasn't a bad Manager...he just wasn't good for the club right now. He left and a new Manager has taken over and won 4 straight games. Why? Because he was a much better Manager? Probably not - he was just a new face with new ideas and something to prove.

Er, yes he was a bad manager. 11 clubs in 10 years and success at only one of them, a club which btw has one of the best DoFs in world football. Guess what, they seem to be struggling along just fine without Juan(fine)de. There is no evidence, if one looks at his full resume, that he's anything other than a painfully mediocre manager.

Mistakes were made by Levy for sure in the transfer window but we have a top 6 (at least top 8 squad) which won just 5 league games in 2008. It isn't all Juande's fault but the guy was at sea in every department. Building a side, motivating that side (a side stuffed full of much more quality than Jol ever had btw) and tactically as useful as a chocolate teapot. Just the flavour of the month fancy Dan signing that Levy loves and which really put paid to Jol. For that hideously amateur evaluation of the man Levy should be shot. Twice.

Harry might not have a fancy sounding name but he's got a history (bar the spammers) of success. And success at clubs with incredibly limited resources. He also knows the English game which helps considering we play in England and all. I'm very interested to see what he can do at Spurs with the much bigger budget. But hey, I'll settle for the basics right now - such as playing the players in their natural positions. Thank you for at least doing that Harry.

I'm just relieved Levy has got rid of the whole shebang. DoF structure and all. Nice idea initially but when FWank buggered off to the bluescum pronto it should have been folded.

We didn't win a single match this season under Ramos by the by. 2 points out of a possible 24 in the league. The worst start to a season in the club's 126 yr history. That is quite impressive really, considering he has one of the most talented squads the club has had in nearly 50 yrs (albeit a slightly unbalanced one).

But I digress...

We have a London-based soccor team here in the UK called Spurs. Up to a month ago they had won only 1 game all season in the Premier League under a good Manager who just couldn't get them playing well. He wasn't a bad Manager...he just wasn't good for the club right now. He left and a new Manager has taken over and won 4 straight games. Why? Because he was a much better Manager? Probably not - he was just a new face with new ideas and something to prove.

Er, yes he was a bad manager. 11 clubs in 10 years and success at only one of them, a club which btw has one of the best DoFs in world football. Guess what, they seem to be struggling along just fine without Juan(fine)de. There is no evidence, if one looks at his full resume, that he's anything other than a painfully mediocre manager.

Mistakes were made by Levy for sure in the transfer window but we have a top 6 (at least top 8 squad) which won just 5 league games in 2008. It isn't all Juande's fault but the guy was at sea in every department. Building a side, motivating that side (a side stuffed full of much more quality than Jol ever had btw) and tactically as useful as a chocolate teapot. Just the flavour of the month fancy Dan signing that Levy loves and which really put paid to Jol. For that hideously amateur evaluation of the man Levy should be shot. Twice.

Harry might not have a fancy sounding name but he's got a history (bar the spammers) of success. And success at clubs with incredibly limited resources. He also knows the English game which helps considering we play in England and all. I'm very interested to see what he can do at Spurs with the much bigger budget. But hey, I'll settle for the basics right now - such as playing the players in their natural positions. Thank you for at least doing that Harry.

I'm just relieved Levy has got rid of the whole shebang. DoF structure and all. Nice idea initially but when FWank buggered off to the bluescum pronto it should have been folded.

We didn't win a single match this season under Ramos by the by. 2 points out of a possible 24 in the league. The worst start to a season in the club's 126 yr history. That is quite impressive really, considering he has one of the most talented squads the club has had in nearly 50 yrs (albeit a slightly unbalanced one).

But I digress...

:huh:

Is there an American translation to all this? :D

But I digress...

THAT was a wicked googley!

lol. Sorry guys. But if I ever saw the man (Juande) in real life I'd stab him in the face. Not out of hatred (I'm sure he's a nice enough guy) but because such piss poor management merits tangible consequences.

Translation -

Mikey has a reasonable idea about changing the FO structure of the franchise and gets a network in place. He then immediately overides his GM's choice of HC and puts him as OC whilst hiring a big name HC from another team. That HC is utter s**t and resigns and runs away for being so embarrassingly s**t. The OC (the GM's original choice for HC) gets promoted.

The HC leads the Bengals to their best finishes in a quarter of a century back to back.

Along the way, the GM gets offered a much more lucrative, stress free job at the Ravens and f**ks off pronto.

Mikey, then gets in a new GM. The new GM and the HC (the old GM's guy) don't get on and despite being f**king brilliant and wonderful and generally awesome he is forced out. The new GM gets in his own guy, who it turns out is even more useless than Mikey's first choice for HC, despite the new HC being given nearly $300M to spend on shiney new players.

Mikey has a tantrum and just says f**k it. Back to square one - go with a solid guy with a track record of drafting and building a team and no GM. Results, tactics and confidence are somewhat restored. Mikey in this instance is looking to sell up btw - but we're getting a new stadium.

To be continued....

lol. Sorry guys. But if I ever saw the man (Juande) in real life I'd stab him in the face.

IMHO people tend to bleed out much faster if you stab them in the throat or groin.

You're most likely right., but l don't want to kill the guy. Just let him know his efforts were poor.

What this team needs is a hard ass.

A couple weeks ago I heard Colin Cowherd talking about the disposition of most successful NFL coaches. Some of you might not like the guy... but I think he's pretty dead on.

The kind of coach you want for your NFL team is the kind of guy you wouldn't want for a boss. Belichick, Coughlin, Tomlin. They didn't become successful for winning popularity contests in the locker room. In contrast, look at the two most underachieving franchises in the NFl right now. The Cowboys and Chargers. Philips and Turner, both well known for their philosophies of being a "players coach." How's that working out?

The only coaches I can think of that have any consistent success that aren't that way are Dungy and Fisher. They are clearly the exception to the rule (and might I add, have GM's with a damn good plan - a luxury we desperately lack).

Just look how excited everyone is about the future of the 49ers because Singletary ripped Vernon Davis a new one. That's what the Bengals need. Would it be nice to get a guy who is a good x's and o's guy too? Sure... but beggar's can't by choosy.

For my part, I'll accept any coach that is willing to come in and kick the ass of a player or two. We've got front row seats to what happens when a coach lets clowns be clowns. Is that all Marvin's fault? I've argued from day one it's not... but this team won't go anywhere as long as it lacks a coach that the players fear.

Just look how excited everyone is about the future of the 49ers because Singletary ripped Vernon Davis a new one. That's what the Bengals need.

I think the jury is still out on pants dropping head coaches, and I wonder aloud about whether Singletary is at risk of becoming a parody.

Locally, the story this week is how hard Singletary has backed-&-filled after his rants to try to regain some credibility. I think this may not be the best example of the point you're trying to make shank. It's a fine line between motivating players through volume and looking like a Yosemite Sam cartoon. A few more of those moments and Singletary is in danger of following Dennis Green out the door of the coaching ranks after a very short stay.

Is Marvin too nice for this team? Hell, I don't know. Maybe, but coaches have succeeded with approaches based on both extremes and in the middle. I have no doubt that Marvin could be successful (has been successful), but it doesn't look like a good mix right now. And I say that not because everything he says in press conferences gets people pissed off here (I kinda enjoy that part), but more because he seems to have become relatively apathetic on the field.

And I say that not because everything he says in press conferences gets people pissed off here (I kinda enjoy that part), but more because he seems to have become relatively apathetic on the field.

I agree. Things have changed.

I can think of plenty of examples of Marvin barking, screaming, or if you prefer....motivating with volume. For example, who can forget the classic...."Keep pounding them, keep pounding them, keep pounding them."

I kid you not, the above words of inspiration once fired me up so much that I lept from my couch and made a rather fine ham sandwhich.

But you're right, he doesn't seem to use those types of motivational tools as much as he once did, probably because he actually been Bengalized as so many seem to think OR because he simply feels his team is too emotionally fragile to respond to those types of things right now. Personally, I do think it's more of the latter, but that sorta begs the question of why Marvin's roster is as emotionally weak as it has proven to be.

I'm watching the Monday night game seeing Mike Singletary interact with his players on the sidelines. That's what a head coach should do!

Going over really well thats why their already talking about canning him at the end of the season after 3 games.

That's Bulls**t. <_< There is no talk of it. He got the Niner's to play last night against a really strong team.

lol. Sorry guys. But if I ever saw the man (Juande) in real life I'd stab him in the face.

IMHO people tend to bleed out much faster if you stab them in the throat or groin.

You're most likely right., but l don't want to kill the guy. Just let him know his efforts were poor.

Wait a minute, not so fast. Short of biting off his ear and mailing it to his wife, I think stabbing him in the face is the way to go. Talk about sending a message...

Wait a minute, not so fast. Short of biting off his ear and mailing it to his wife, I think stabbing him in the face is the way to go. Talk about sending a message...

"What's in the box?!?! What's in...the box?!?!" - Brad Pitt

I'm watching the Monday night game seeing Mike Singletary interact with his players on the sidelines. That's what a head coach should do!

Going over really well thats why their already talking about canning him at the end of the season after 3 games.

That's Bulls**t. <_< There is no talk of it. He got the Niner's to play last night against a really strong team.

Guess only real way is wait till end of season though I dunno if I would call cardinals strong a solid team in a very weak division : /

Guess only real way is wait till end of season though I dunno if I would call cardinals strong a solid team in a very weak division : /

I would say the Cards are a pretty good team. They've got a decent defense, a good QB, and the most talented WR corps in the league. Hightower is developing into a very good back, too.