Bengals vs. Jags

Ox

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Never knew that. Always thought it was a peculiarly American thing. Not a very big holiday over here at all, even in the time I've spent North of the border.

Mind you, they are Godless heathens up there amongst the heather so it makes sense. :D

Just saw a show about it on the History Channel last week. I think it was a pagan ritual of the Celts going back thousands of years. The Catholic Church tried to "incorporate" it into their rites by aligning it with All Saints Day (Nov. 1) and All Souls Day (Nov. 2). Later the Irish immigrants of the mid-1800's made it popular in the US.

When I was a kid I thought it was the greatest thing going. Maybe even better than Christmas.

Really? Never knew that. Always thought it was a peculiarly American thing. Not a very big holiday over here at all, even in the time I've spent North of the border.

Mind you, they are Godless heathens up there amongst the heather so it makes sense. :D

Just saw a show about it on the History Channel last week. I think it was a pagan ritual of the Celts going back thousands of years. The Catholic Church tried to "incorporate" it into their rites by aligning it with All Saints Day (Nov. 1) and All Souls Day (Nov. 2). Later the Irish immigrants of the mid-1800's made it popular in the US.

When I was a kid I thought it was the greatest thing going. Maybe even better than Christmas.

Ah those pagan scallywags. I knew it! I enjoy it immensely when I'm Stateside. Great parties for the adults, sweets for the kiddies. Win win.

Over here, you get a mouldy pumpkin shoved in the front window for a couple of hours in every 15th house. Bit anticlimactic.