Bengals Line rumor

icehole3

I listened last night to Bengals Line and Lapham said there is a rumor going around at Paul Brown that with the seat licenses coming up Mike Brown will buy out Marvin's last year and then do a total clean sweep of the coaches. Said that Zimmer and Fitzgerald would still be under contract (didnt know this, he didnt have to pay those two this year because of their previous contracts with ATL and BALT, so Mikey boy got them for free this year, no wonder they were hired) but, he thinks Zimmer will say screw that Im leaving since he'll be like the violinist on the Titanic. He said Mikey Boy will only come out of hibernation when there's money to be made. Thats why no Chad trade because of the cap hit and youre stuck with 3 first rounders you have to pay for.

HappyWave.gif

It's fine because Brown has crippled Marvin with this team, but did they say anything about him hiring a GM? I can't believe that 17 out 18 seasons you suck, and you still can't see you don't know what your doing. I think the only reason he turned down the Saints draft that year for Akili is because it would have been just to hard to sign all of those draft picks.

It's fine because Brown has crippled Marvin with this team, but did they say anything about him hiring a GM? I can't believe that 17 out 18 seasons you suck, and you still can't see you don't know what your doing. I think the only reason he turned down the Saints draft that year for Akili is because it would have been just to hard to sign all of those draft picks.

Mike keeps repeating on-field solutions that haven't worked but once in 17 or 18 years. No reason at all to expect him to go smart and try something new. Best thing that could happen to a good coach and from all appearances, a good guy, Marvin Lewis, is for him to get out quick. I have said here that he needs to go for some weeks. Its the NFL, won/loss counts and Marvin has drafted poorly for 3 years, can't prepare his players properly as they keep making the same mistakes weekly.

He'll catch on elsewhere as a DC/OC then be back to head coaching.

Zimmer has promise, maybe firing Marvin now and giving the HC to Zimmer as a test drive?

Mike Brown's solution to getting people to re-up the seat licenses

June6_2005MMM.jpg

Good luck with those license fees in this new economy Mike Brown. Especially since you'll be paying number 1 or 2 pick wages. The real ugly scenario is that renewals fall off so much while player salaries skyrocket due to the draft, that Mikes goes for deep cuts in vets, coaching, scouting to offset his new losses. As sick as it is, Brown can go cheaper with the way he runs things.

no GM, he was basically saying that every penny is and must be accounted for, the MVP for the Bengals is Bill Scanlon Chief Financial Officer and Pro Bowler Keith Theissen Head Accountant. From what he was saying is that Mike Brown just sits there like the Lincoln Memorial until those seat licenses need to be renewed, his every coaching decision has been based on attendance, getting a new stadium and seat licenses.

He also talked about when the collective air was let out of the team, was when Marvin let Chad get away with scoring a touchdown and going over to a camera crew and starting filming and the refs hit them with a 15 yarder and Chad walked right by Marvin and nothing was done, he said that was the last straw for the team as a whole, said he's to buddy buddy and he shouldve never taken his foot off the gas, he said every Bengal coach that got canned did that, he says if you take your foot off NFL players necks theyll screw you hard.

Lets see... All new coaches, veterans leaving, no new free agents, reduce costs, high draft pick contracts, and one of the youngest teams in the league with no real guidance ?? Seems to me this is just the start of another lost decade...

I was thinking the same thing. I think you're right on with that prediction. The sad part is that alot of fans are really going to throw in the towel for good this time. Mike had a good thing and completely f**ked it up like only he can.

I've had season tickets for the last 4 years. I'm not renewing next year. I don't give a sh*t if Mikey hires Vince f**king Lombardi....I'm done with his s**t.

What happens when every coach refuses to take the job because you know you go to cinci your gonna fail?

There will always be dozens of folks with minimal qualifications who will be willing to take the job just for the money or for the opportunity to be an NFL head coach, even knowing before they ink the contract that they will fail.

Heck, I have zero qualifications but will gladly take the head coaching job as long as I am paid equal or better than the current lowest paid head coach in the league.....probably deep into 6 figures per year......far more than I could ever hope to be paid otherwise.

But yeah - I'd suck at it. And so will any other scrub who will willingly take this job at this point.

What happens when every coach refuses to take the job because you know you go to cinci your gonna fail?

There will always be dozens of folks with minimal qualifications who will be willing to take the job just for the money or for the opportunity to be an NFL head coach, even knowing before they ink the contract that they will fail.

Heck, I have zero qualifications but will gladly take the head coaching job as long as I am paid equal or better than the current lowest paid head coach in the league.....probably deep into 6 figures per year......far more than I could ever hope to be paid otherwise.

But yeah - I'd suck at it. And so will any other scrub who will willingly take this job at this point.

In the Mike Brown era, here are the HC's, you decide how hard it will be to find a stiff.

Dave Shula for 4 seasons

Bruce Coslet for 5 seasons

Dick LeBeau for 3 seasons

Marvin Lewis for 6 seasons.

Of these 4 HC's only LeBeau and Lewis are still in the NFL. Kind of amazing that Brown would hire HC's that once let go, have nowhere else in the NFL to go.

Lets see... All new coaches, veterans leaving, no new free agents, reduce costs, high draft pick contracts, and one of the youngest teams in the league with no real guidance ?? Seems to me this is just the start of another lost decade...

I've had season tickets for the last 4 years. I'm not renewing next year. I don't give a sh*t if Mikey hires Vince f**king Lombardi....I'm done with his s**t.

I'm thinking if SoP drags Lombardi's bones from the grave, dresses them in Bengals' apparel, and actually pays them a salary, I might be tempted to renew under those circumstances, just for craps and giggles.

Of course, given that scenario, he should also dig up his daddy's bones and put them in the front office as well. Couldn't do any worse. :D

I'm just waiting for Mike Brown to annoint himself Head-Coach....

I don't think the league would allow that.

His daddy did it for years with this team as recently as the seventies. Al Davis with the Raiders in the old AFL. George Halas with the Bears until what, late seventies or early eighties? Seriously, is there a rule that says an owner can't also be head coach?

His daddy did it for years with this team as recently as the seventies. Al Davis with the Raiders in the old AFL. George Halas with the Bears until what, late seventies or early eighties? Seriously, is there a rule that says an owner can't also be head coach?

I think that Billy's point is that the league wouldn't let him do it since he has utterly no qualification or apparent ability as a coach, whereas the others mentioned (like his daddy) did.

Now that I mention it, though, Mikey has utterly no qualification or apparent ability as a GM either, but he's been doing that for 18 years. F**k it, let him coach. It'll be funny.

I think that Billy's point is that the league wouldn't let him do it since he has utterly no qualification or apparent ability as a coach, whereas the others mentioned (like his daddy) did.

Now that I mention it, though, Mikey has utterly no qualification or apparent ability as a GM either, but he's been doing that for 18 years. F**k it, let him coach. It'll be funny.

And that's actually my question for anyone who's far more into the rule structure of the league. Either there is a rule that says an owner can't coach, which would obviously be semi-recent, or it would seem the NFL wouldn't be able to dictate that SoP could or could not coach (save for the Rooney Rule). Would the NFL be able to manipulate coaching decisions by determining who is and who isn't qualified enough for the job?

I'm not debating either Billy's point or your point. I'd be curious to know the NFL stance on his since I've always thought Jerry Jones would be a candidate for (know-nothing) coach/owner.

I listened last night to Bengals Line and Lapham said there is a rumor going around at Paul Brown that with the seat licenses coming up Mike Brown will buy out Marvin's last year and then do a total clean sweep of the coaches. Said that Zimmer and Fitzgerald would still be under contract (didnt know this, he didnt have to pay those two this year because of their previous contracts with ATL and BALT, so Mikey boy got them for free this year, no wonder they were hired) but, he thinks Zimmer will say screw that Im leaving since he'll be like the violinist on the Titanic. He said Mikey Boy will only come out of hibernation when there's money to be made. Thats why no Chad trade because of the cap hit and youre stuck with 3 first rounders you have to pay for.

HappyWave.gif

I heard that too. I just wish someone would ask Lap. this direct question: 'Should Paul Alexander be fired?'. It makes me sick to think that we are ONCE AGAIN talking about burning another top-10 (probably top-2) draft pick on an O-Lineman. Anyone can coach a line full of 1st, 2nd & 3rd Rounders. Here's an idea.....develop someone outside the first day of the draft. As long as that boob has had a job, please name for me one success story. One guy drafted after the first day that has been even serviceable. Andrews? Jury is still out, but he is average at best (despite being franchise tagged). Guy-chick....hell no. Maybe if he was coached up. Look at the line of any other team and you will find 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and even undrafted FA's on their starting line.

Compare that to his predecessor. Jim McNally built great lines with guys like Montoya (7th), Walters (7th), Wilson (4th), Reimers (8th) & Kozerski (9th). If SOP really wanted to win, he would fire Alexander and talk McNally out of retirement.

I heard that too. I just wish someone would ask Lap. this direct question: 'Should Paul Alexander be fired?'. It makes me sick to think that we are ONCE AGAIN talking about burning another top-10 (probably top-2) draft pick on an O-Lineman. Anyone can coach a line full of 1st, 2nd & 3rd Rounders. Here's an idea.....develop someone outside the first day of the draft. As long as that boob has had a job, please name for me one success story. One guy drafted after the first day that has been even serviceable. Andrews? Jury is still out, but he is average at best (despite being franchise tagged). Guy-chick....hell no. Maybe if he was coached up. Look at the line of any other team and you will find 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and even undrafted FA's on their starting line.

Compare that to his predecessor. Jim McNally built great lines with guys like Montoya (7th), Walters (7th), Wilson (4th), Reimers (8th) & Kozerski (9th). If SOP really wanted to win, he would fire Alexander and talk McNally out of retirement.

All factual.

I agree, if they dont fire Alexander we will draft another MAC lineman early in the draft. I doubt McNally will come out of retirement anytime soon, this if from wikipedia. I'd love to see him made head scout, but he probably hates Mike Brown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_McNally

Part of the reason McNally chose to step aside from football was his physical health. McNally took a big shot on the sidelines during a Patriots punt return back in week three at New England when John Wendling was carried out of bounds by a Patriots player and both collided with McNally on the sidelines. McNally suffered three broken ribs, a broken bone in his back and had his right knee blown out, but pressed on through the rest of the season. "I'm going to have to get my knee replaced," said McNally. "I still have my enthusiasm for the game, but I've got to get my body right."