Training camp

combatbengal

During training camp, I heard all this hype about how great the rookies looked, how the def was coming together and that the off was starting to click. So I took my wife and boys up to see them one afternoon. On the ride home I made a comment (actually a few) to my wife and she reminded me of one of them yesterday. She said" didn't you say that they looked undisciplined, and didn't expect them to win this year"? So why are you so upset now that they are 0-8? Well, I didn’t expect to be right about that or those comments. The day I went, TJ was hurt and didn’t practice, Rudi was hurt, didn’t practice. Ocho Noshow came up limping about half way through practice (they weren’t hitting), and set the bench the rest of practice. There were some kids yelling for him but he put a towel over his head and didn’t respond. After the game, all the kids ran down to get autographs and a few Bengals (didn’t know any of them) came over to sign autographs. Chad started to walk over, and then went away. That was a tease to the kids.

So, it started in training camp, and will probably last throughout the season. 0-16, number one draft pick, we’ll lose TJ, Carson will be a year older, we have no running game, no off line that blocks, no DB’s that tackle, no coach with heart, compassion or direction, no GM, no scout team, etc.

Here is what we do have: each player has his own parking space to park his nice ride, Marvin has a really nice office,

So, if you were the head coach of this team, what would you do to turn this around? First off, as a Soldier, we’re on call 24/7. I spent a year in the sandbox during the war and didn’t have a day off. We never knew what day of the week it was. So, this team wouldn’t have any time off if I were the coach. Obviously you can’t run them 24/7, but they would learn discipline, how to become experts and professionals. We might extend training camp, and lock them down during the season, or until they learned how to play as a team and win as a team. Can’t really change the personnel over night, so you’d have to work with what you have. In the Army, it’s the same way, we don’t get to pick our Soldiers; we work with what is handed to us. There are those that shine and those that need to be molded. So the first thing that I would do is take their time away form them. The next thing would be to hook MB up with a girl to keep him occupied and to keep him off of the field and out of the locker room. Thirdly, all starting positions would be gone. You don’t start because you make the most money or because your name is CJ, CP, etc. You’ll start because you earn that position by giving 110% all the time.

During training camp, I heard all this hype about how great the rookies looked, how the def was coming together and that the off was starting to click. So I took my wife and boys up to see them one afternoon. On the ride home I made a comment (actually a few) to my wife and she reminded me of one of them yesterday. She said" didn't you say that they looked undisciplined, and didn't expect them to win this year"? So why are you so upset now that they are 0-8? Well, I didn’t expect to be right about that or those comments. The day I went, TJ was hurt and didn’t practice, Rudi was hurt, didn’t practice. Ocho Noshow came up limping about half way through practice (they weren’t hitting), and set the bench the rest of practice. There were some kids yelling for him but he put a towel over his head and didn’t respond. After the game, all the kids ran down to get autographs and a few Bengals (didn’t know any of them) came over to sign autographs. Chad started to walk over, and then went away. That was a tease to the kids.

So, it started in training camp, and will probably last throughout the season. 0-16, number one draft pick, we’ll lose TJ, Carson will be a year older, we have no running game, no off line that blocks, no DB’s that tackle, no coach with heart, compassion or direction, no GM, no scout team, etc.

Here is what we do have: each player has his own parking space to park his nice ride, Marvin has a really nice office,

So, if you were the head coach of this team, what would you do to turn this around? First off, as a Soldier, we’re on call 24/7. I spent a year in the sandbox during the war and didn’t have a day off. We never knew what day of the week it was. So, this team wouldn’t have any time off if I were the coach. Obviously you can’t run them 24/7, but they would learn discipline, how to become experts and professionals. We might extend training camp, and lock them down during the season, or until they learned how to play as a team and win as a team. Can’t really change the personnel over night, so you’d have to work with what you have. In the Army, it’s the same way, we don’t get to pick our Soldiers; we work with what is handed to us. There are those that shine and those that need to be molded. So the first thing that I would do is take their time away form them. The next thing would be to hook MB up with a girl to keep him occupied and to keep him off of the field and out of the locker room. Thirdly, all starting positions would be gone. You don’t start because you make the most money or because your name is CJ, CP, etc. You’ll start because you earn that position by giving 110% all the time.

Bro...I'm with you. I took my son to the scrimmage at training camp and came back saying the same things. In fact, I got blasted on this board for saying Perry looked slow and horrible. And for commenting on the lethargic play of the o-line against our own squad! I hoped everyone was right with the 'it's just training camp' rhetoric. But like you, I knew it wasn't a function of mechanics. It was attitude and discipline. Of course, when your owner's theory is Bob Barker's "Please spay and neuter your head coaches", what do you expect?

I'm with you on most of this. The problem is, according to the CBA (which apparently will not exist after next year) training camp can only be so long. Three weeks, I think. The other problem is Mike Brown won't let players that make good money sit on the bench. Marvin made up his mind that Willie, Rudi, and Deltha would not start this year and the next thing you know they're not on the team anymore. So there goes any chance at having good depth.

So, unfortunatly, the head coach is very limited in what he can do, especially in this organization.

I'm with you on most of this. The problem is, according to the CBA (which apparently will not exist after next year) training camp can only be so long. Three weeks, I think. The other problem is Mike Brown won't let players that make good money sit on the bench. Marvin made up his mind that Willie, Rudi, and Deltha would not start this year and the next thing you know they're not on the team anymore. So there goes any chance at having good depth.

So, unfortunatly, the head coach is very limited in what he can do, especially in this organization.

It doesn't help when the owner clips off his coach's 'nards and keeps them in his purse.

It doesn't help when the owner clips off his coach's 'nards and keeps them in his purse.

Yeah, that's definately counterproductive.

I still think Chris Henry's return was the straw that broke the camel's back. After an entire offseason toeing the company line on Chad, what's Marvin's reward? To get publicly humiliated by the owner. Having all his personnel decisions dictated by money, as Ickey notes, was just the icing on the turd cake. At this point, I think marvin is trying to get fired and most, if not all, of the players are simply counting the days until their contracts expire.

I still think Chris Henry's return was the straw that broke the camel's back. After an entire offseason toeing the company line on Chad, what's Marvin's reward? To get publicly humiliated by the owner. Having all his personnel decisions dictated by money, as Ickey notes, was just the icing on the turd cake. At this point, I think marvin is trying to get fired and most, if not all, of the players are simply counting the days until their contracts expire.

That sure seems to be the case. I agree with you on the Henry thing. It seems that Marvin kind of threw in the towel after that.

Given the terrible state of the Bengals and the rosy future of the Titians, I think it would be funny to hear current conversations between Odom and his agent:

Odom: "Yo, why in the F did I come to this joke of a team again?"

Agent: "They paid you a huge signing bonus and you have more guaranteed money than you could ever spend."

Odom: "Man, this is crazy. All that money can't buy back my self respect. I don't even want to suit up..."

Agent: "Ok, then here is what we'll do. Make a big effort, like 3-4 sacks in the next couple of games and then hurt your back. Somthing non-descript. Thier medical staff is so bad, they will IR youand you can go home and pretend like this never happened. Plan?"

Odom: "Sounds good cause I can't take anymore. When people ask who I play for, I tell them 'none of your business'."

I don't know where this team goes now. They are in a lot of trouble if they don't make some tough decisions and replenish a lot of talent along the lines ecspecially, but they are also going to be hurting at skill positions (WR/RB) if Chad and TJ leave.

Obviously the current FO crew isn't capable of taking on a tough, quick rebuilding type effort.

How do you replace two tackles, a guard and a center, and upgrade them, in one off-season?

How do you also find a NT, DE, 2 LB's, and possibly another CB or S in one off-season?

What if Marvin is offered the San Fran, Dallas or another open job, and leaves, and voids the rest of his contract?

UGLY folks.

I didn't even feel this hopeless in the 90's and early 2000's.

How do you also find a NT, DE, 2 LB's, and possibly another CB or S in one off-season?

In the Free-Agent Market.

You know? That thing Mike Brown and Marvin refuse to look into. Instead we have un-drafted rookies and career back-ups starting all over the place.

May i remind you; Takeo Spikes, Ty Law, Jeremiah Trotter, Rod Coleman, and many others that i can't think of were all (some of which still are) free agents at the beginning of the season. All of which are upgrades.