Seriously, did ANYONE think this team would be 0-8?

kingwilly

here's a question that popped up at work (and i smartly avoided, but dumbly plunge into here): was lewis getting hired partially a question of affirmative action, or was he truly the best man applying for the job at the time?

I wouldn't chalk it up to any kind of "affirmative action." Lewis was a highly regarded assistant and was widely thought to be head coaching material. That said, the best guy for the job would have been Tom Coughlin. However, per the rumor mill at the time, Coughlin came in for his interview and presented a real plan for change, including spending on free agents, bulking up the scouting staff, etc., and Mike Brown was having none of that.

there're two ways, i think, of looking at fitz. the first is he's a bum. the guy didn't come from the USC quarterback factory like palmer, after all. the second, more generous idea, is that no one could possibly step into this situation and behind this O line and do terrifically better. i lean towards the latter

As do I.