Hey, Marvin. Are you listening?

gregstephens

http://sports.aol.com/nfl/story/_a/bbdp/mo...seahawks/205840

Take some notes, ML. This is what we need desperately. This is Holmgren's last season and he still cares!!!

The best thing my coaches did was chew us the f**k out after a big loss. It turned us around the next games for sure. Sometimes you really need that "Hey, what the F**k is wrong with you, step your s**t up"

most leaders get in your face if they think you're fcuking up. that was dick lebeua's problem, he was too nice, eh? (well, not his *only* problem....) the problem with leaders are you sometimes don't know if they're mad because you're underperforming and shouldn't be or that their egos are being bruised, or maybe a bit of both. sometimes leaders are chosen only because of their personalities, not because of their *own* performance and/or good decision-making ability. that said, marvin lewis must have a great personality.

Now lets look at this from a realistic point of view. Your average NFL player is at this level for a reason. Mostly because they are crazy in the head. That doesn't make them unintelligent it just means you have to have a level of craziness to play professional football. A lot of these guys grew up in drug infested neighborhoods. A lot of them probably lived to fight. You get quite a few thugs who don't care a damn bit about anyone else but them and their boys.

So does a 50 year old coach screaming in their face make a damn bit of difference? Not one single bit. You can pass this argument on me for high school kids and maybe college players. But grown men who have proven to be the baddest men on earth don't get upset over getting chewed out by an old man.

It's not Marvins fault he was saddled with all the thugs and hoodrats that had been brought onto this roster over the years. He can't force some of these guys to act like men. His style is to treat you like men and expect you to act like it. It works well for Belichick because he has a roster full of players that put in the work and act like professionals. It doesn't say anywhere in the dummies guide to coaching you have to chew someone out to get performance.

Many styles of coaching can win but if you don't have the right group of players you're screwed either way. Hell Tom Coughlin almost lost his job last year due to being a total prick. Once he lightened up look where it got him. Get people that strive to be champions and suddenly your coach looks a whole lot better.

Now lets look at this from a realistic point of view. Your average NFL player is at this level for a reason. Mostly because they are crazy in the head. That doesn't make them unintelligent it just means you have to have a level of craziness to play professional football. A lot of these guys grew up in drug infested neighborhoods. A lot of them probably lived to fight. You get quite a few thugs who don't care a damn bit about anyone else but them and their boys.

So does a 50 year old coach screaming in their face make a damn bit of difference? Not one single bit. You can pass this argument on me for high school kids and maybe college players. But grown men who have proven to be the baddest men on earth don't get upset over getting chewed out by an old man.

It's not Marvins fault he was saddled with all the thugs and hoodrats that had been brought onto this roster over the years. He can't force some of these guys to act like men. His style is to treat you like men and expect you to act like it. It works well for Belichick because he has a roster full of players that put in the work and act like professionals. It doesn't say anywhere in the dummies guide to coaching you have to chew someone out to get performance.

Many styles of coaching can win but if you don't have the right group of players you're screwed either way. Hell Tom Coughlin almost lost his job last year due to being a total prick. Once he lightened up look where it got him. Get people that strive to be champions and suddenly your coach looks a whole lot better.

I disagree. I bet you the Seahawks play better this week. Not guaranteeing a win, due to their injury issues, but I bet you won't see anymore 44-6 blowouts like last week.

The Coughlin thing worked for the reason ArmyBengal said. He united the team in both hating and respecting him because he was such a hard-nose. When he let off, they felt he was showing the respect and trust back and began playing better. He proves the rule.

BTW, how has Holmgren and his harder style fared compared to ML? Or Cowher, who was a notorious hard-nose, against ML? Your theory is right...in theory. It doesn't play out, however.

I disagree. I bet you the Seahawks play better this week. Not guaranteeing a win, due to their injury issues, but I bet you won't see anymore 44-6 blowouts like last week.

The Coughlin thing worked for the reason ArmyBengal said. He united the team in both hating and respecting him because he was such a hard-nose. When he let off, they felt he was showing the respect and trust back and began playing better. He proves the rule.

BTW, how has Holmgren and his harder style fared compared to ML? Or Cowher, who was a notorious hard-nose, against ML? Your theory is right...in theory. It doesn't play out, however.

How have Bill Belichick and Bill Walsh compared to Holmgren and Cowher. You're comparing apples and oranges here. All different types of personalities win championships. You play to your strengths no matter the circumstances. Bottom line if your players don't want to be professionals whether they're coddled or screamed at you're not going to win.

army's philosophy is correct also for new supervisors. you come in strong and back off. if you come in soft and try to harden up, you lose a lot of people that way. you *expect* hard-nose out of new leadership.

as far as these guys being men, some are, some aren't. studies show the brain doesn't achieve full maturity into about 25 years of age. they may be men physically, but not emotionally.

what you're forgetting is that despite a (possible) rough background, i'm sure many of these were stars growing up, and were afforded, if you will, many of the opportunities and privileges we only wish we had. that is, full ride scholarships, women hanging off you, people stroking your ego... free pizza after the game. whatever. the whole 'bad childhood' idea is silly, imo, for most of these guys. if you've ever seen one of these games return home for a minute you'd see how they're treated like kings. and were probably treated much like princes beforehand, hence being spoiled even if poor, hence needing a guy to get in their grill. my opinion, naturally.

Are you kidding me did you see Marvin smiling having a good time on field what a joke how about he fires up the guys how about he shows some emotion out there get mad about things, but no hes just a happy guy. Im tired of his giggles ass on sideline always laughing when the team is losing and havent even won a game

army's philosophy is correct also for new supervisors. you come in strong and back off.

As a former Marine I agree with the first part of coming in strong, but you NEVER back off. That's where failure lives!

army's philosophy is correct also for new supervisors. you come in strong and back off.

As a former Marine I agree with the first part of coming in strong, but you NEVER back off. That's where failure lives!

Solely dependent on the people you are leading. If you have highly motivated, team players, you can delegate some responsibilty to them and build them as leaders. If you have a bunch of wannabe men, who can't seem to figure sh*t out, then you ride them until they can't stand your ass. You will get one of two things with that philosophy. The dirtbag will either shape up and become the productive person you want them to be or they will quit completely. Either way, you as a leader get what you want. Either a team player or a castaway that you will get a replacement for.

Does that translate on the football field ?? I don't know. That's why I'm in the Army and not an NFL football coach. In my opinion however, I would think it couldn't hurt to at least try that line of thought...

You will get one of two things with that philosophy. The dirtbag will either shape up and become the productive person you want them to be or they will quit completely.

IMHO Mark, the sooner you weed the garden, the better your crops will become.