ESPN2: Marvin Lewis will quit or resign after reg season

ShulaSteakhouse

Prediction No. 2: Marvin Lewis will either quit or resign before the first week of the playoffs

When the Bengals re-signed Chris Henry after Lewis spent the spring and summer spouting his "We need to start caring about character" rhetoric … I mean, as Larry King would say, if you're looking up the word "undermine" in a dictionary, you see Lewis with a "We did what?" look on his face. This is unbouncebackable. (I just made up that word.) I feel strongly that the Bengals will suck again. Same for the Niners, Dolphins, Chiefs, Raiders, Rams, Lions and Falcons. These are the Excrete Eight.

I assume this is purely conjecture, but, it wouldn't be too surprising to me, because I think Marvin is fed up with the Brown family limiting him on personnel/roster decisions and draft picks. I also think he has limited say on the offensive coaching staff, where Paul Alexander may have more pull. The Henry situation was definitely a problem, and another losing season could send him packing.

I do not think Mike Brown would ever fire him at this point though. But could see Marvin going the way of Sam Wyche and Coslet. It also wouldn't surprise me if Marvin is sick of babysitting Chad and wanted to trade him in the off-season, but was veto'd by Brown there as well.

I guess we'll see...hope it doesn't come to that.

I personally hope he quits. He's obviously not a head coach, and should return to coordinating as did LeBeau.

And, as a Pittsburgh suburb native, and given LeBeau may call it quits after this year or next, that is exactly the job he may get. That's my bet ... and I hate the thought.

I've been saying the same thing since the Chris Henry signing. If things go bad, as they look like they might go, I wouldn't blame him for leaving. Having Mike Brown as an owner handicaps you from the start. You know he's not going to spend the kind of money on personnel for coaching, scouting or players. IMHO, it is going to take another miracle season like 05, - the knee injury, for us to ever get to a super bowl while Mike Brown is alive.

I personally hope he quits. He's obviously not a head coach, and should return to coordinating as did LeBeau.

And, as a Pittsburgh suburb native, and given LeBeau may call it quits after this year or next, that is exactly the job he may get. That's my bet ... and I hate the thought.

Aside from a HC job, why would Dick LeBeau leave where he's at!?! :blink:

Because he's 71 years old Tuesday. The life of a coordinator has got to take a toll. He's been around forever somewhere in some capacity. Can't go forever.

Having said that, it would not surprise me in the least to see Marvin in Pitt as a DC, shoving it down our throats twice a year.

Because he's 71 years old Tuesday. The life of a coordinator has got to take a toll. He's been around forever somewhere in some capacity. Can't go forever.

Try telling that to John McCain!

If this team has a great year then thats great and Marvin will probably stay here, but i never saw Marvin as a soild coach. When he first steped in this team tried to do things his way but he lost control of this team after 2005 and never got it back. These guys walk up and down on him and its like he does nothing about it. Despite what everyone says there is enough talent on this team do make the playoffs maybe not the superbowl, but if the players dont want to play for the coaches what are you going to do. So once again i get myself excited about the upcoming season and this is the crap i have to listen to and see on TV and Magazines you would think for once i would realize it happens every year. I just hope this team gives a sh** about the year and actully plays there hearts out.

Try telling that to John McCain!

There are those that would argue the work of a DC, or any NFL coach, is far more taxing than that of a career politician/Senator. And, keeping in mind that I was a 'Reagan guy', let's not forget how that second term played out.

There are those that would argue the work of a DC, or any NFL coach, is far more taxing than that of a career politician/Senator. And, keeping in mind that I was a 'Reagan guy', let's not forget how that second term played out.

... and Ronald Reagan! :D

Ha! The minds are apparently thinking alike. Too funny.

If this team has a great year then thats great and Marvin will probably stay here, but i never saw Marvin as a soild coach. When he first steped in this team tried to do things his way but he lost control of this team after 2005 and never got it back. These guys walk up and down on him and its like he does nothing about it. Despite what everyone says there is enough talent on this team do make the playoffs maybe not the superbowl, but if the players dont want to play for the coaches what are you going to do. So once again i get myself excited about the upcoming season and this is the crap i have to listen to and see on TV and Magazines you would think for once i would realize it happens every year. I just hope this team gives a sh** about the year and actully plays there hearts out.

I agree. I think this team has all kinds of talent. It's never been utilized correctly. Especially on defense. Even though I think Marvin bares some responsibility for that, Mike Brown takes the brunt of it. If the coach you've supposedly given control of the team to doesn't want you to do something and you do it anyway, why should he even try?

ya whoever posted that is an idiot. quit and resign are the same thing. that being said, marvin has been a very solid coach for cincy and i hope he doesn't quit after this season regardless of the outcome.

Prediction No. 2: Marvin Lewis will either quit or resign before the first week of the playoffs

When the Bengals re-signed Chris Henry after Lewis spent the spring and summer spouting his "We need to start caring about character" rhetoric … I mean, as Larry King would say, if you're looking up the word "undermine" in a dictionary, you see Lewis with a "We did what?" look on his face. This is unbouncebackable. (I just made up that word.) I feel strongly that the Bengals will suck again. Same for the Niners, Dolphins, Chiefs, Raiders, Rams, Lions and Falcons. These are the Excrete Eight.

I assume this is purely conjecture, but, it wouldn't be too surprising to me, because I think Marvin is fed up with the Brown family limiting him on personnel/roster decisions and draft picks. I also think he has limited say on the offensive coaching staff, where Paul Alexander may have more pull. The Henry situation was definitely a problem, and another losing season could send him packing.

I do not think Mike Brown would ever fire him at this point though. But could see Marvin going the way of Sam Wyche and Coslet. It also wouldn't surprise me if Marvin is sick of babysitting Chad and wanted to trade him in the off-season, but was veto'd by Brown there as well.

I guess we'll see...hope it doesn't come to that.

Typical ESPN BS....

Yup Marvin is such a horrible coach not taking cinci to the superbowl because like any good coach could win here o_O

I heard Marvin can also take lemons and make vodka out of them :o

PS,I wish Marvin the best if this does happen I'm sure his next stop will be a lot more successful,If I did have to pick a replacement for Marvin I'd say Mike Singletary but there's no way in hell he'd come here.

I don't see why people keep telling there has been great potential in our D. Most of them couldn't start on most teams.

Right now we got Peko as a starting quality DT (rest are rookies or backups or depth guys).

Solid tandem at DE.. Geathers and Odom both capable of getting pressure on the QB. We'll see how they do against the run, but here we are good enough.

LBs... Rivers, a rookie, has looked stellar this offseason but still a rookie. Dhani Jones.. a backup / rotation guy. Jeanty decent.

CBs two solid starter quality guys who'll only get better. Pretty decent depth here also. Or at least the FO seems to think so, cutting Deltah.

Safties, we got really solid bunch here. Lynch, Ndukwe, White, DJax.

I'm a "Line guy" my self. I feel it all starts with the lines on both sides of the ball.

Thats where I would start building a team. And I like what I see for our future IF Sims and Shirley come trough for us.

In short I believe our Defensive woes have been mostly caused by our DLines ineptitude.

And we've not had the quality at LB to compensate for that at all.

I invite anyone to argue otherwise.

Me, too. I think Marvin's with the players now. He seems not to care either.

I don't know why, but it always pisses me off when we have a bad play and there Marvin is on the sidelines clapping. He should be pissed and letting them know he's pissed.

If I were Marvin, I would have resigned the moment that Chris Henry's signature was complete on his new contract

Amen.

At the minimum, your reputation among your peers would be intact. Most know the situation in the 'Nati, so it should come as no surprise.

Davis is playing the same game with Kiffin in Oakland.

SoP and Davis, old-school, meddling, LOSER owners. The game has gone by them and they just don't get it.