San Francisco Becoming Bengals-west

gregstephens

49ers added Ahman Brooks to Justin Smith and Takeo Spikes as former Bengals on the defense.

Why do I suddenly have a bad feeling about this? :huh:

Oh...I know. I've felt it many times before when players left Cincinnati to go and succeed elsewhere! :angry:

Justin Smith played right outside linebacker a lot for the 49ers in preseason. It looks like they'll be using him there on a lot of snaps. I can't remember who, but someone in here was always screaming that the Bengals should put Smith at linebacker.

I resemble that remark.

I seen a bit on the 49ers last year on ESPN about how if you look at the two teams (Bengals, 49ers) drafting, coach selection, everything; the 49ers have basically modeled what the Bengals did since hiring Marvin Lewis. It's damn near identical.

Did they hire Breshnehan and his "Chucky Cheese" defense?

Justin Smith played right outside linebacker a lot for the 49ers in preseason. It looks like they'll be using him there on a lot of snaps. I can't remember who, but someone in here was always screaming that the Bengals should put Smith at linebacker.

I resemble that remark.

I must have said it a thousand times as well.

Smith at DE is a hammer turning a screw.

I resemble that remark.

I must have said it a thousand times as well.

Smith at DE is a hammer turning a screw.

So, what is he now...a hammer turning a pulley? I don't really see Smith being that successful at either position. He dropped into coverage a lot his first two seasons and ineffective is probably being kind. His coverage sklls are pretty slim. I just think he's a classic tweener - which was kind of the knock on him when drafted. That said, does anybody question the tactic of raiding the Bengals defense in concept. Isn't it the same as raiding the 9'ers WR corps? (Which is apparently the thinking of the Raiders. BTW - where the hell is Dexter Jackson sprinkling these days?)

• 2 months later...

Who ever said Spikes is washed up obviously didn't see the pick he had last week, or the other 2 hes had this season..or the 2 fumbles hes forced or the 78 tackles he has. Hes better then every starting linebacker we have right now. Washed up or not ill take him over this pack of garbage any day.