Cuts coming on Saturday/Rudi, Willie Gone

jjakq27

Here's some things I don't get. Number one: nobody was interested in trading for Rudi. I figured the Bengals were not playing him Thursday so he wouldn't get hurt and lose trade value. Turns out however, he had none at that point. Why not give the guy a shot of staying on the team by playing him Thursday and see if there was anything in the tank? Did the Bengals not at least owe him and his fans a chance, or at least one more play in the Stripes?

Number two: we cut Willie Anderson. Was it not just last off season we let Eric Steinbach walk, untouched, to Cleveland without so much as an offer to keep him, using his money to franchise freakin' Justin Smith, who we let go of this off season (justifiably so)? We all knew Willie was getting up there in age. The injuries were almost sure to follow. Why in God's name did we not try to keep Steinbach, who is a premier lineman in this league? Then the whole cutting Willie thing wouldn't sting so much.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just not pleased at all. I don't like the moves. I think our talent level just dropped. I think our depth just took a hit.

I think we just lost veteran leadership we didn't have much of. Now I have to buy a new white jersey to replace Rudi's...

Overall, not pleased with any of it and hearby change my wins prediction to 6-10 on the season. WE SUCK AGAIN !!!

They kept Thornton ?? Thornton ?? Seriously ?? F*ck you Mike Brown !!!

WHODEY !!!

Sure Craig and J.Johnson go to the PS,The thing i'm most surprised in is jordan making the roster since they barley played him.

I wonder which one of these are true

1.)They wanna stash Jordan on the team hoping they can do a matt swab type of thing

2.)Jeff Rowe was really bad and jordan beat him out fair and square

3.)Carson didn't wanna see his brother unemployed

I'm just not pleased at all. I don't like the moves. I think our talent level just dropped. I think our depth just took a hit.

I think we just lost veteran leadership we didn't have much of. Now I have to buy a new white jersey to replace Rudi's...

Overall, not pleased with any of it and hearby change my wins prediction to 6-10 on the season. WE SUCK AGAIN !!!

WHODEY !!!

Eh your not pleased that we cut our veteran leadership yet you wanna see thorton go too :P who pretty much plays same roll.

I was not happy to see willie go but I understand why if he wasn't willing take a cut.

WHODEY !!!

HAHAHAHA!!! The Thornton Madness begins!! Now, everytime we make a horrible play this year, I can yell at the TV,

"THEY KEPT THORNTON!?!?!?!"

I can stomach these moves IF (and this is a big and hopeful IF) there is a reason for it, i.e. extending Housh or bringing in someone else via trade or something. I really don't foresee anything positive coming out of this, and if Mike Brown just pockets the money, then add a new reason to hate this season.

I have never been less excited about a Bengals season (possibly because I was too young and unrealistic back in the 90's. Or possibly because years of Mike Brown have made me a very cynical person.

The only move that I was really disappointed about was Brooks, but it looks like he really was struggling with the mental aspect of the game. I like the cuts that were made really. If the Bengals were signing guys like Anderson and O'Neal at this point the board would go crazy. I can't understand why people are upset. This is an aging Willie Anderson and a BAD Deltha O'Neal.

Here's some things I don't get. Number one: nobody was interested in trading for Rudi. I figured the Bengals were not playing him Thursday so he wouldn't get hurt and lose trade value. Turns out however, he had none at that point. Why not give the guy a shot of staying on the team by playing him Thursday and see if there was anything in the tank? Did the Bengals not at least owe him and his fans a chance, or at least one more play in the Stripes?

That is just your emotions. For all we know there were talk underway and the other party said "don't play him"...too many variables there to speculate. I personally don't think anyone would trade for him but you never know. PR-wise, the Bengals knew they'd be cutting him, so why play him, let him flash and bang and set themselves up to feel even worse back-lash?

Number two: we cut Willie Anderson. Was it not just last off season we let Eric Steinbach walk, untouched, to Cleveland without so much as an offer to keep him, using his money to franchise freakin' Justin Smith, who we let go of this off season (justifiably so)? We all knew Willie was getting up there in age. The injuries were almost sure to follow. Why in God's name did we not try to keep Steinbach, who is a premier lineman in this league? Then the whole cutting Willie thing wouldn't sting so much.

Not working to re-sign Steinbach will remain a really poor decision. Try not to tie it to Willie. Your points about Willie are valid and the future of the O-line is at stake here. Andrews at RT, and should he flounder, I imagine Whit going to RT and Andrews going to LG. At least they have shown some versatility.

Here's to hopin'

WHODEY !!!

Eh your not pleased that we cut our veteran leadership yet you wanna see thorton go too :P who pretty much plays same roll.

I was not happy to see willie go but I understand why if he wasn't willing take a cut.

Only difference is what those individuals provide on the team. Willie was a 5 time pro bowler. How many times has Thornton been for us ?? Hasn't Willie been part of some of the best O-lines the Bengals have had in their history ?? Hasn't Thornton been part of some of the worst D-lines in their history ?? Not quite in the same ball park in my opinion. Then again, some people really liked Artrell Hawkins...

WHODEY !!!

That could be why they kept him maybe once those guys are healty and they see what they can he will be gone probably at the end of the season though. Maybe they kept him though because he does play alot of snaps and isnt injured all that often and hustles thats the only reason i can think of why they kept him. I think they are getting rid of players who are injured alot and who they cant count on because of the injuries.

The image in the sig is just a weird looking shot. Her features are not the "softest" but she is an attractive woman. Keep in mind she is an athlete and not a model....obviously.

Yeah, obviously. But c'mon, she bared everything in the pages of Playboy....including candid shots of her man-boobs and her very impressive goiter. To be fair, she didn't actually show her penis in the photos, but.......(voice trails off)

And it's not just a weird looking shot in the sig. That's how she always looks.

Not that it matters much, but I have to admit the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the sig was..."Really? Amanda Beard? Somebody thinks shes a hottie? Really?"

Yes. I definitely think so. I will be changing up thru the year, and I'll be scouting for more Amanda photos. I didn't realize she was a Playboy feature, that had to be worth at least $50K.

That is just your emotions. For all we know there were talk underway and the other party said "don't play him"...too many variables there to speculate. I personally don't think anyone would trade for him but you never know. PR-wise, the Bengals knew they'd be cutting him, so why play him, let him flash and bang and set themselves up to feel even worse back-lash?

Not working to re-sign Steinbach will remain a really poor decision. Try not to tie it to Willie. Your points about Willie are valid and the future of the O-line is at stake here. Andrews at RT, and should he flounder, I imagine Whit going to RT and Andrews going to LG. At least they have shown some versatility.

Here's to hopin'

About Willie, I saw it coming and posted here that I wondered if he'd get axed. He's 33! He's a backup. He's due to consume 5 million this year.

Rudi didn't practice this year, didn't play in the preseason. Rudi has declined for 2 years and got paid alot for it. No real surprise is it?

Deltha had to go, it was easy to see he wasn't covering anyone because #24 was always visible on the plays. Guy couldn't stay in front of the receiver. He's also 31.

Addition by subtraction. When was the last time 2 current year draft picks were let go? We had two from the 2008 draft cut lose.

I look at this as a regrouping or retooling. Or maybe rebuilding is a better term. I think they tried to ride that team from 2005 over the last two years and had nothing to show for it. So perhaps they are finally getting rid of the last remnants of the LeBeau regime that were big parts of the 2005 season. Justin Smith and Kaesviharn earlier and now Rudi and Big Willie. I look for Chad and TJ to be gone after this year. Then once and for all it will be Marvin's team. But I will be interested to actually hear Marvin's own words describe what happened. Was this him and the coaches decision or was this a salary dump by Mike? Perhaps this will tip the scales back toward even with the amount of money invested in the defense instead of the offense. Maybe getting it towards more of the Baltimore mold. Problem is we don't have too many stars on defense. I also wonder if the uncapped years looming in the future is something that they are preparing for with these moves also.

I think Rudi's situation was a case that Chris Perry finally did what he was drafted to do and that was replace Rudi. It only took four years. As I stated before, I wonder if Rudi had become a lockerroom cancer. It was obvious that he was not the back he was from 2003-06 on the field or in Marvin's eyes. Too many other hidden comments recently to deny that.

And Willie probably should have been given the axe a few years earlier instead of resigning him. Steinbach would look good on this line.

Center anyone?

The Brooks thing really bugs me though. He goes from being a "steal" or extra draft pick a couple of years ago to starter last year to being shown the door this year.

Deltha was a shooting star and according to some, he was disappointed that he didn't get a raise or extension after the 2005 season, while the team placed all the money on the offense. I think his attitude may have been a negative influence on the younger guys. I remember Dave Lapham talking about how he and Tory James would leave for lunch everyday with Jonathan Joseph in 2006 which seemed to upset the staff and some of the vets. Maybe they felt that O'Neal's attitiude was not what it should be and his skills had diminished and was not in their plans. I am just concerned with what I saw from this David Jones guy.

Releasing Anderson was all about money

The guy replacing him - the "Franchise" Andrews - is nowhere near as good as Willie, but his salary is guarenteed due to the earlier poor decision to franchise him. Willie's wasn't.

Worst still, The "Franchise" is a rental - he will leave after next year. So who are we developing to replace him? No one, since he'll be manning the RT spot all year long while we lose 12 or so of the 16 games. Then next year, we have to start a guy at RT (my money is on Whitworth, who in a rare wise move they recently extended) who will have had zero snaps at RT. Good times. If they were smart, they'd move Whit to RT __N_O_W__ and have Andrews play LG, so that in 2009 we face replacing a LG (where Collins will fit nicely) instead of a RT. But....that'd be smart. Son Of Genius doesn't do smart football things, he does money-related things.

I think it likely that Henderson will come back to the PS

I think it likely that they will bring in at least 2 and as many as 5 players waived by other teams, and at least one fo these will be a versatile G/C. I think Santucci will PUP for 6 games, then they'll waive the G/C and replace him with Santucci. I think they'll PUP Odom as well.

This season is a lost cause. 6-10 is a best case scenario, imho, with my money now on 4-12.

The happiest guy in the world today has to be Deltha O'Neal

Dogging it on all the plays this year has ensured he'd be rested and injury free, and teams always need experienced cornerbacks

No he can go out and get the "really big contract" he has been demanding all this time.

I'm glad to see the malcontent go, even though he in essence succeeded in doing what at Chad couldn't - securing his release from the team

I expect to see him in a Browns or Ravens uniform by next weekend....and playing at his full ability, ie starter quality

Agree with you on that one TJ Witworth should be moved to Tackle and Andrews should be moved to Guard. As for

Willie and the money maybe thats what it was, but they were trying to get him to stay and he refused so who knows what was up with that. I just think these are things that had to happend and they did to get younger and heathier, we all knew this was coming and it did now its time to move on with what we have and get better.

Apparently it was a lesson learned after last year's floundering with injuries. And it sounds like they got tired of waiting for Rudi.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6997

Marvin's full interview is up on bengals.com.

The edited version from NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80a6675c

I am not all that surprised by the moves...People say if CPerry can stay healthy, but RJohnson hasn't been healthy either...I am surprised by ABrooks being released and not JThorton...I think they will resign TJHoushmanzedah, at least I hope they do...

After Willie's injury last year he hardly played. Then when he talked about his recovery, he said it's not right, but I guess this is good as it's going to get, and I'll have to deal with it.

Does anyone honestly believe we could have started Willie all season? No way he gets anywhere near a full season out of that foot/ankle. And he was getting paid starter money. Keep him on as a backup and all you folks crying about how evil Mike Brown is for cutting him would have been in here telling us how stupid Mike Brown was for paying a backup 8 million a year. Class guy that he is, Willie said the Bengals upped their offer and he had to give them credit for it.

Brooks? Did anyone watch his play in the Indianapolis game? He missed tackles and took bad angles all night. I was mystified by his bad play. He is the poster boy for the workout warrior with all the measurables who's brain can't do the instantaneous geometric calculations needed to put him in position to make a play. (insert rant about Bengals undermanned scouting staff here).

One cut totally pisses me off. Jeff Rowe was very obviously better than pocket palmer. Now I admit that Carson is rarely hurt, and that the likelihood of seeing either in the regular season is not good. But you never know. We're already paying Carson huge cash, do we really have to give his little brother an undeserved roster spot as well? Bulls**t.

Im not understanding why everyone is still saying we are 6-10 or 4-12 after these moves when these guys they relesed today hardly played last year. Now i dont think this is a playoff year or anything but just because of these moves dosnt make us the worst team. I will laugh so hard if this team comes out and plays aggresive with alot of heart and actully wins. This defense has a chance to be solid if they play agressive and fast, and i would still like to see this offense with all the healthy players in it. As far as C. Perry i would like to see him get over 20 some carries and see how he is. Everyone is saying they have seen nothing from him well lets give him a full game before we say anything about him. It took Rudi 16 carries or more before he started to actully do anything so ill wait till they give Chris more carries before i judge him. I guess im just trying to be optomistic for the season, as i to im not real excited about the this season so im trying here lol.

Im not understanding why everyone is still saying we are 6-10 or 4-12 after these moves when these guys they relesed today hardly played last year.

I think it's because 1. the O looked bad in preseason; 2. the big names cut today were key in '05 and; 3. the sked is a bitch.

I'm still optimistic, mostly because the rest of the division is a mess too, but clearly we have a bunch of reloading/rebuilding/what have you going on.