Cuts coming on Saturday/Rudi, Willie Gone

jjakq27

I am less enamored with the cutting of Willie. At the end of today, if the bengals have kept Thornton and cut Willie, then I will not be impressed with their decision making.

Have you ever been " impressed " with their decision making ??? :huh:

We're cutting salary? We're cutting older more expensive veterans ? Got to think that T.J. is gone after this year and Stacey Andrews !

- We're freeing up money to tank this season! - Cincinnati is going to stink this year on PURPOSE !! - You can write it down in big letters !! We're looking at a 2-14 season or 3-13.

Cincinnati is freeing up cap space for draft picks. They are planning for a top 5 pick next season !!

I Guarantee it !

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If willie was here i guess he would be backing up anyways, so i guess at least now if he wanted to sign somewhere to play he can. I can understand where they are coming from not wanting to pay him that for backing up, but they should have thought of that when the extended him. Good luck to Willie sad to see him go but we knew he wasnt going to be here forever.

PFT says--

We reported this afternoon that the Cincinnati Bengals asked tackle Willie Anderson to take a pay cut, and now we know Anderson’s answer.

“They wanted me to take a pay cut,” Anderson told The Cincinnati Enquirer. “I wouldn’t do it.”

So now Anderson is no longer a member of the Bengals, after 12 seasons and five Pro Bowls.

Anderson will become an unrestricted free agent, and presumably he’ll sign with someone soon. Although there are lingering injury issues, reliable veteran offensive tackles are always in demand.

--------------------------------------

Mike Brown does this stuff nearly every year because, as Chad put it," Its always about the money"

With Mikey boy its never about the winning, its always about the money.

Does anyone think that not having Willie Anderson makes this team better in any way or makes them any more likely to win ?

Who is going to take Willie's place ?Anthony Collins? I dont think so!

Mike Brown's way of thanking Willie for staying through all of the loosing ,for the Dave Shula's,and all of the bad decisions by Brown .

If willie was here he was going to be a backup anyways they are not paying Andrews all that money to be a back up and they arnt paying willie all that money to be a back up either, so they went with the younger player. Im not saying this is the right move but i think its a move they had to make. Otherwise look at the money they were paying to the two tackles and one was going to be a back up

Cincinnati is going to stink this year on PURPOSE !!

on purpose? doubtful.

I do agree that this team makes bad decisions but cutting Rudi is a smart move. Cutting Willie is questionable but understandable. Should they not cut Thornton, in light of these other cuts, they will again show their inconsistency and poor decision making.

Who wants to wager on where Rudi will go?

I put my money on Houston or Denver.

How about Willie?

I'd wager he goes to Green Bay or Atlanta.

Mike Brown's way of thanking Willie for staying through all of the loosing ,for the Dave Shula's,and all of the bad decisions by Brown .

While I agree letting Willie go was probably a bad idea, I wouldn't go that far. Heck, Brown paid him a $2 million roster bonus in January, so Willie isn't exactly leaving without a consolation prize. And per reports, the deal the Bengals offered would have given him the chance to make all the cut back in incentives if he regained his starting gig.

Way I read this, it's as much about Willie not wanting to be a backup as it is Mikey's skinflint ways.

Cincinnati is going to stink this year on PURPOSE !!

on purpose? doubtful.

I do agree that this team makes bad decisions but cutting Rudi is a smart move. Cutting Willie is questionable but understandable. Should they not cut Thornton, in light of these other cuts, they will again show their inconsistency and poor decision making.

Who wants to wager on where Rudi will go?

I put my money on Houston or Denver.

How about Willie?

I'd wager he goes to Green Bay or Atlanta.

Atlanta ! - He lives here anyways. Maybe now I'll get to try a Fat Burger..?? :D

I'm Hoping they resign Willie. We're going to need the offensive line depth this year. Cause the only way I see that we can keep Chris Perry Healthy is if we have 7 offensive lineman on the field .

Levi Jones, Andrew Whitworth, Ghiuciuc, Williams, Andrews. Reggie Kelly, at one tight end, and Collins at the other tight end. with Kooistra at full back. Maybe with a metric ton of offensive line in front of Perry we can keep him healthy for 16 games.??

If willie was here he was going to be a backup anyways they are not paying Andrews all that money to be a back up and they arnt paying willie all that money to be a back up either, so they went with the younger player. Im not saying this is the right move but i think its a move they had to make. Otherwise look at the money they were paying to the two tackles and one was going to be a back up

First of all, I think at this point , Anderson is still better than Andrews.

If Stacy Andrews flops or get hurt ,who protects Carson?

Its not like saving that money carries over to next year,it does not.

So they are taking a chance on they whole season and Carson's health just so Mike Brown can have a few more bucks.

In the movie Chinatownm, an old, filthy rich man is stealing people's land and killing people and Jack Nicholson asks him ,why, how much money is enough,you have all of the money you'll ever need , do yo eat any better ?

So I say to Mike Brown , are you going to eat any better? save a few bucks lose a few more games

If you ever wondered why Bengals players care more about making money than they do winning its right there in that one move

First of all, I think at this point , Anderson is still better than Andrews.

If Stacy Andrews flops or get hurt ,who protects Carson?

Its not like saving that money carries over to next year,it does not.

So they are taking a chance on they whole season and Carson's health just so Mike Brown can have a few more bucks.

In the movie Chinatownm, an old, filthy rich man is stealing people's land and killing people and Jack Nicholson asks him ,why, how much money is enough,you have all of the money you'll ever need , do yo eat any better ?

So I say to Mike Brown , are you going to eat any better? save a few bucks loose a few more games

If you ever wondered why Bengals players care more about making money than they do winning its right there in that one move

How do you know that they're not going to use that money on other players? Why don't you wait and see first before you assume he just plans on keeping that money?

As for releasing Anderson, I hate this move. I'm cool with letting Rudi go, but Willie we should've kept.

But as Hoosier stated above they gave him the chance to redo his deal and if he could become the starter again he would have gottn paid more but decided he didnt want that. I understand where people are coming from im upset to this guy has been great, but i also would have hated to see him on the bench backing up. I agree with that he is better then Andrews but the money they are putting on Andrews this year i couldnt see him sitting out. So i can understand where they didnt pay Willie to be the locker room hero, and i think thats what ill miss about him the fact he could keep the locker room calm and everything.

Stacy Andrews looked horrible against the Colts backups. I watched E.G. close for all the series he was in and what I saw was the T,G,C on the left doing well but Andrews suffering at RT. B. Williams didn't look to have problems. If Willie is gone and not resigned, look for Koostra to be the backup RT with Collins backup on the LT.

As for Rudi, the three headed monster Perry,Watson,Dorsey is going to make this team look a lot like past years Panthers or Falcons team with a lot of quick to the hole, cut outside RBs.

The savior Ahmed Brooks is gone. Cardinals retreads will lead the way..... looks like the 9 d-lineman will allow Eric Henderson to keep a spot on the team. (Correct me if I am wrong)

Deltha gone....... not sure about that one. J. Thornton still here.... god WHY WHY WHY!!!!

I figured that we'd see Deltha cut. He has just look absolutely horrible this pre-season IMO.

Rudi - gone

Willie - gone

------

Thornton - should be gone

Deltha - on the fence.

Right there, that roughly $11M in cap cleared.

The savior Ahmed Brooks is gone. Cardinals retreads will lead the way..... looks like the 9 d-lineman will allow Eric Henderson to keep a spot on the team. (Correct me if I am wrong)

Deltha gone....... not sure about that one. J. Thornton still here.... god WHY WHY WHY!!!!

link?

I'm a bit mystified by the talent level decrease on defense with O'Neal, Henderson and Brooks gone - are you telling me guys like David Jones are better? Shouldn't Brooks be given the same chance to stay healthy and improve Perry did?

Why would you cut Willie if he can still play? Again what is the point of saving all this $ under the cap today? Why?

I always assume the worst with the Bengals, and figure they have no real plans to sign or trade for anyone who's expensive. I'd be shocked if TJ took an extension before this season and Graham won't use up all of that cap space they probably just freed up.

In any case, will trust their judgement, but it also seems Marvin is tired of keeping hurt and slacking players around (Deltha, Rudi, Henderson, Brooks, Willie). So, I just hope it's for the best.

Hobson:

Also cut was another high-salaried player in cornerback Deltha O'Neal at $3 million this year.

Also cut were linebackers Ahmad Brooks and Jim Maxwell as they kept six and went heavy with nine D-Linemen and 10 DBs. They went with just four corners and one is free-agent rookie Simeon Castille. They went with six safeties, cutting only John Busing. Jordan Palmer became the third QB when Jeff Rowe got cut.

Bengal cuts

Saturday, August 30, 2008, 05:20 PM EST [bengals]

OT Willie Anderson

HB Rudi Johnson

TE Nate Lawrie

LB Jim Maxwell

CB Deltha O'Neal

LB Ahmad Brooks

DE Antwon Burton

S John Busing

DE Eric Henderson

QB Jeff Rowe

G Nate Livings

OT Dane Uperesa

G James Blair

LB Angelo Craig

LB Anthony Hoke

HB James Johnson

WR Clyde Logan

WR Maurice Purify

WR Mario Urrutia

* TE Matt Sherry has been put on the Reserve/Injured list

12 of the 15 players are eligible for the practice squad. The three not eligible are Ahmad Brooks, John Busing and Jeff Rowe

Bengal cuts

Saturday, August 30, 2008, 05:20 PM EST [bengals]

OT Willie Anderson

HB Rudi Johnson

TE Nate Lawrie

LB Jim Maxwell

CB Deltha O'Neal

LB Ahmad Brooks

DE Antwon Burton

S John Busing

DE Eric Henderson

QB Jeff Rowe

G Nate Livings

OT Dane Uperesa

G James Blair

LB Angelo Craig

LB Anthony Hoke

HB James Johnson

WR Clyde Logan

WR Maurice Purify

WR Mario Urrutia

The fact that Thornton is still there is staggering.

I thought Craig and Urrutia showed well. Wonderous considering they are so thin at DE.

Stash James Johnson on the PS, RB depth will be key.

Depending on WR health (CJ, TJ, Caldwell), we could see more movement there. At least they now have the cash to do something.

I was suprised about Deltha... David jones sucks.

There getting rid of all of this payroll......wonder whats up?

Probably to sign another aging vet to a bad deal.

Didn't we spend the entire offseason talking about how they couldn't do anything real because they didn't have cap space, now they cut a bunch of vets and have cap space and nothing useful to do with it? Great planning there.