rudi for a wr?

AGrizzlyBaer

What a fickle group most of you are. A guy is the new face of runningback in the franchise, has one injury plagued year and suddenly he is a leper. I'm surprised you all aren't calling for Palmer to get traded as well...I mean he did throw 20 Ints last year. He must be on a fast decline as well. We should trade Palmer for a second round pick and save some money by letting Fitzpatrick be the starter. I mean have you been watching preseason and how well Fitzpatrick has looked!?!? He is by far way ahead of Palmer so far this year if you go by the preseason stats. (Sarcasm to the max degree)

Seriously folks, you want to cut Rudi and go into the season with a guy that has yet to play a full 16 game season in his first 4 years in the league? Then that guy is backed up by a special teams stand out that has never rushed more than 178 times in a season? Then backing those 2 guys up is someone that has rushed the ball *21* times in his career! Threads like these make me wish that Rudi would get cut and then go on to another team and rush for 1500 yards and win a Super Bowl, thus slapping in the face all the Bengals fans that jumped off his bandwagon because of one bad season. Then reality slaps me in the face, telling me Rudi will stay a Bengal and after his first 100+ yard game with a TD, all you fair weather fans will be back on his bandwagon saying that you knew it all along that he would come back and have a good year. Was I dreaming or didn't all the coaches and news outlets report several times throughout training camp that Rudi looked the best they had seen him in his career up until his hamstring injury? Amazing how many of you guys were so stoked back then, only now to throw stones at him.

:rolleyes:

I wasn't one of the stoked. I think I commented something to the effect of "show me".

RARELY will a RB go to another team and rush for 1500 yrds. Heck, I cannot think of one who has ever pulled that off.

Rudi is broke-ass-down. "Looks great", "best shape ever", "worked on his legs"......result: injured hammy during drills in practice.

He is not going to rebound, he is going to be hurt, get hurt, and get cut. $3M, or whatever his cap # happens to be is WAY WAY too much for mr. broke-down. I mean, if he ran like Fred Taylor when NOT injured, then he might get more latitude but this is shuffle-shoes we are talking about. He has not cut back, no speed to turn the corner and hits the hole about as hard as Chad Johnson blocks.

just my .02...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a fickle group most of you are.

That's the league. It's not what you did in '05, it's not what you did last year. It's not even what you've done for me lately. It's what can you do right here, right now. Parcells has judged players this way for years with good results. Organizations that keep players around past their prime just to thank them for a couple good years? No thanks. In the NFL, fickle works. Shaun Alexander had a great '05, just like Rudi did. But the Seahawks cut him loose after last year because he looked a lot like, uh, Rudi did last year. By the way, they've been in the playoffs the last five years in a row. Mike Holmgren sure is fickle.

You can't even remotely compare Rudi Johnson and Carson Palmer.

I respect what Rudi did but to face the facts the man has always been slow and one dimensional. He had no breakaway ability and no pass receiving skills. He had a couple very good years but how many other running backs would have performed at a high level playing in that offense? With Carson, CJ, Housh, and Chris Henry the last thing opponents were worried about was stacking the line to stop a running back with 4.7 40 speed.

Rudi was a workhorse yes. But was never really a great player. Just a solid one who benefited from the system he was playing in.

What a fickle group most of you are. A guy is the new face of runningback in the franchise, has one injury plagued year and suddenly he is a leper. I'm surprised you all aren't calling for Palmer to get traded as well...I mean he did throw 20 Ints last year. He must be on a fast decline as well. We should trade Palmer for a second round pick and save some money by letting Fitzpatrick be the starter. I mean have you been watching preseason and how well Fitzpatrick has looked!?!? He is by far way ahead of Palmer so far this year if you go by the preseason stats. (Sarcasm to the max degree)

Seriously folks, you want to cut Rudi and go into the season with a guy that has yet to play a full 16 game season in his first 4 years in the league? Then that guy is backed up by a special teams stand out that has never rushed more than 178 times in a season? Then backing those 2 guys up is someone that has rushed the ball *21* times in his career! Threads like these make me wish that Rudi would get cut and then go on to another team and rush for 1500 yards and win a Super Bowl, thus slapping in the face all the Bengals fans that jumped off his bandwagon because of one bad season. Then reality slaps me in the face, telling me Rudi will stay a Bengal and after his first 100+ yard game with a TD, all you fair weather fans will be back on his bandwagon saying that you knew it all along that he would come back and have a good year. Was I dreaming or didn't all the coaches and news outlets report several times throughout training camp that Rudi looked the best they had seen him in his career up until his hamstring injury? Amazing how many of you guys were so stoked back then, only now to throw stones at him.

I wasn't one of the stoked. I think I commented something to the effect of "show me".

RARELY will a RB go to another team and rush for 1500 yrds. Heck, I cannot think of one who has ever pulled that off.

Rudi is broke-ass-down. "Looks great", "best shape ever", "worked on his legs"......result: injured hammy during drills in practice.

He is not going to rebound, he is going to be hurt, get hurt, and get cut. $3M, or whatever his cap # happens to be is WAY WAY too much for mr. broke-down. I mean, if he ran like Fred Taylor when NOT injured, then he might get more latitude but this is shuffle-shoes we are talking about. He has not cut back, no speed to turn the corner and hits the hole about as hard as Chad Johnson blocks.

just my .02...

Well off the top of my head I can name 2...and if I researched more I bet I could find others. Clinton Portis rushed for over 1,500 yards with the Broncos and with the Redskins. Dillon rushed for 1,600 yard his first year with the Pats. Just missing the cut is Stephen Davis who rushed for an impressive 1,444 yards in his first year with the Carolina Panthers. Fact is, Rudi had an injured Hamstring last year and was rushing behind a crap line. Kenny Watson looked impressive in a couple of games, but those as Hobson pointed out in his latest article, occurred against the Browns and Jets. I don't know if you have "popped" your hamstring before, but I have and I know how painful it is. Not only is it VERY painful, but the only thing that can heal it is rest and proper stretching. Not to mention, how easily it can be re-injured if it isn't healed all the way. Funny how you are so positive about him getting hurt, when in actuality it is more rare for Rudi to get hurt and miss games, than say, the guy you think the Bengals should rely upon, Chris Perry, who any gambling man would have to bet gets hurt and misses action at some point in the season. Since 2004 Rudi has missed 5 games...in that same span, Chris Perry has missed 42! Are you serious? And all of a sudden you are ready to make Chris Perry your feature back? Not only that, but despite Rudi's poor season last year, he still has a career 4.0 yards per carry...which 4.0 yards per carry is the benchmark stat of a good feature runningback.

You can't even remotely compare Rudi Johnson and Carson Palmer.

I respect what Rudi did but to face the facts the man has always been slow and one dimensional. He had no breakaway ability and no pass receiving skills. He had a couple very good years but how many other running backs would have performed at a high level playing in that offense? With Carson, CJ, Housh, and Chris Henry the last thing opponents were worried about was stacking the line to stop a running back with 4.7 40 speed.

Rudi was a workhorse yes. But was never really a great player. Just a solid one who benefited from the system he was playing in.

Rudi was never a great player? You mean the Rudi that broke the Bengals single season yardage record TWO years in a row? You also say he benefited from the system he is in...what system is that? The Bengals have always been known as a pass happy offense. Many times the Bengals would stall in the redzone because they would get away from the run and try to score via the pass. Rudi would have had even better stats than he has now if he wasn't in this so-called "system" you talk about. I don't know what system you refer to unless you mean the one in which the runningback hits the hole and runs over guys. Do you not remember Rudi trucking Palamalu? Amazing...I am sure glad none of you are my boss, one bad day and you are ready to sharpen the axe...Off with his head!

just my .02...

Well off the top of my head I can name 2...and if I researched more I bet I could find others. Clinton Portis rushed for over 1,500 yards with the Broncos and with the Redskins. Dillon rushed for 1,600 yard his first year with the Pats. Just missing the cut is Stephen Davis who rushed for an impressive 1,444 yards in his first year with the Carolina Panthers. Fact is, Rudi had an injured Hamstring last year and was rushing behind a crap line. Kenny Watson looked impressive in a couple of games, but those as Hobson pointed out in his latest article, occurred against the Browns and Jets. I don't know if you have "popped" your hamstring before, but I have and I know how painful it is. Not only is it VERY painful, but the only thing that can heal it is rest and proper stretching. Not to mention, how easily it can be re-injured if it isn't healed all the way. Funny how you are so positive about him getting hurt, when in actuality it is more rare for Rudi to get hurt and miss games, than say, the guy you think the Bengals should rely upon, Chris Perry, who any gambling man would have to bet gets hurt and misses action at some point in the season. Since 2004 Rudi has missed 5 games...in that same span, Chris Perry has missed 42! Are you serious? And all of a sudden you are ready to make Chris Perry your feature back? Not only that, but despite Rudi's poor season last year, he still has a career 4.0 yards per carry...which 4.0 yards per carry is the benchmark stat of a good feature runningback.

I concede your point. Ok, so there have been three. How many get cut/traded and DO NOT do well. I submit that those are clearly the exceptions, not the norm. While the Dillon examples stings, he was going to perhaps one of the best NFL teams ever...what can you do?

I'm not sold on Perry, lobbying for him to start. He could ding himself shaving tomorrow for all his luck. I just hapen to have LESS faith in Rudi at this point. To me, Perry is the most capable RB on the team right now.

You point it out yourself, Rudi's hammy was bad last year, it is bad now after months of work and preparation and something has to give. He is due a massive grip of cash and has for the last year has shown to be an injury magnet and, to my eyes, has lost any pop that made him effective previously.

If he stays on the team and can bang like before and show the durabiity that made him a solid RB, then I'll be the first to trun cartwheels. At this point, due to the continued health issue, and what we can only assume is a lack of confidence from the coaching staff, he is at serious risk of being released.

I would love to see the Rudi from 2005 back on the field again. Who wouldn't? But even before he got hurt, his production was declining. He still had good stats in 2006, but they were below his normal expected production. In 2007, he "popped" his hamstring, or whatever he did to it. His production suffered from not only that, but a dreadful line. But, behind that same line, Kenny Watson averaged 4.3 yards per carry.

This year, Rudi has not practiced in the preseason, has not played, and it's because of a DIFFERENT hamstring problem. I think this is why people are jumping off the Rudi bangwagon.

I'm of the thought that we should feature either Perry OR Watson, because they bring more versatility to the offense. They're both faster and quicker than Rudi and they can both catch the ball out of the backfield. If Rudi has bulked back up to 230, and is healthy, I say we keep him and use him a la Jerome Bettis. He should come out in short yardage situations and as a clock killer if/when we have a late lead to protect.