Palmer's nose is broken

TJJackson

They have never recovered from the combination of the retirement of Braham and giving Willie the money they should have given Steinbach. IMHO they were the brains and fire of the O-line. Something we didn't see much of last year or this summer.

Yeah let's not talk about poor personnel management, Chad and TJ will make it all better! Yay!

I just don't get this team! Now I didn't watch or hear the game here in the UK - and I'm a relative newbie to the NFL and the Bengals - but it seems to me from reading what everyone has said about the game that not a lot has changed from last season...on the offense that is. Last season CPs numbers took a nose-dive and his confidence dropped and his quality-of-pass diminished mainly because he wasn't getting the protection from his O-line. He got sacked too many times. Now that will affect any QB I would have thought, and knowing that you're realistically only going to win games by putting more points on the board than your opponants, I would have thought it would be priority no. 1 to get Carson back on top form by protecting him and giving him the confidence back to do what he does best.

So what has happened in the off-season? All I hear is the same old sh*t I saw last year! Yes, I know it's Pre-Season but these matches are intended to fine tune all the practice done and should be used as an indicator as to how effective the training has been. All I hear is CP getting sacked and our O-line being pushed around. Yes, Saints blitzed a lot, but guess what every team is going to do to us? You have to be able to read the blitz and protect your QB!! Surely this is basic stuff????? Now every team whom we have to play will be watching these games and thinking...yup...same old Bengals...ok boys - blitz their ass!!

Where is the protection? Where are the new schemes? Where is the fire and imagination on our offense? I believe whole-heartedly our defense will improve this year. For what little I have seen and for what little it is worth, I like Zimmer. At least he is trying!! But what is happening to our offense? Where is ML kicking the living S H ONE T out of his OC and telling him that this is just...not...acceptable?

Is a new OC long overdue? Is missing Chad and TJ having that much of an effect? Where was our running game?

<<sigh>> Sorry guys! I just don't understand WTF is going on with our management. :huh:

Chandon - Welcome to Bengals fandom. And yes your concerns and your point is well taken, as I said that same thing last season and this off-season repeatedly about the 0-line, but no one listens.

A Mike Brown apologist, or someone who simply likes to argue, will most likely chime in and say how great the 0-line is and was last year, how they didn't need to do anything there, and that "Chad and TJ and Rudi" will make it all better, and mention the relatively few sacks they gave up. (but decline to recognize the drop in yards per catch etc...,).

The major decline in the running game, scoring etc..., and the constant complaints about the offense not carrying it's weight last year, become forgotten this time of year.

Whitworth is not a guard. Guy-chick is a poor NFL center. Levi Jones is a below average LT. Stacy Andrews is a below average RT, but is getting $7.5 million this year to suck. Willie Anderson looks like a pregnant sasquatch and can barely walk, let alone play at a high level in the NFL anymore. Bobbie Williams is an over-paid, very average RG.

The Bengals' continually do not put enough emphasis on the interior o-line because Mike Brown doesn't want to pay guards or centers "tackle money." So they decline to address the need altogether for too long and now their franchise QB has a busted face. It's insanity and no one else talks about it.

This is allll a result of poor, poor personnel management, planning, and a head coach controlled by his incompetent owner.

It comes back to haunt them every single year because they do not have enough people scouting, scouring other team's rosters and out at college games looking ahead etc..., they are afraid to make tough decisions with players up for a new contract, act too early by re-signing guys when they don't need to (Rudi, Willie, Levi) and should've let Chad go this off-season, and found a replacement.