Oklahoma Drill Chatter

membengal

Curnutte has some quick impressions:

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s....cincinnati.com

It's a tradition under Marvin Lewis. The first day of full pads at training camp features the live blocking drill known as Oklahoma, or the nutcracker. An offensive and defensive player are pitted against each other in a narrow lane: the offensive player is to block the defender and allow the ball carrier to run through.

Many of the matches were draws, with both players doing their jobs.

Some were not.

Tight end Reggie Kelly pushed linebacker Rashad Jeanty to the outside.

Safety Chinedum Ndukwe got the best of wide receiver Antonio Chatman.

Rookie wide receiver Andre Caldwell impressively moved cornerback Johnathan Joseph out of the way.

Right tackle Stacy Andrews moved rookie defensive tackle Jason Shirley 15 yards downfield with a lightning-fast start.

Most entertaining, though, was the enthusiastic response of first-year defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer when a defensive player performed well. Zimmer was all over them, slapping their backs and rear end and top of the helmet.

Interesting note on Caldwell vs. Joseph. That's some nice work from the rookie on a physical corner.

By all accounts, Andrews is showing very nicely in the first few practices, especially when you consider Willie has in essence indicated he knows he is needing to step aside for him now.

Curnutte has some quick impressions:

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s....cincinnati.com

It's a tradition under Marvin Lewis. The first day of full pads at training camp features the live blocking drill known as Oklahoma, or the nutcracker. An offensive and defensive player are pitted against each other in a narrow lane: the offensive player is to block the defender and allow the ball carrier to run through.

Many of the matches were draws, with both players doing their jobs.

Some were not.

Tight end Reggie Kelly pushed linebacker Rashad Jeanty to the outside.

Safety Chinedum Ndukwe got the best of wide receiver Antonio Chatman.

Rookie wide receiver Andre Caldwell impressively moved cornerback Johnathan Joseph out of the way.

Right tackle Stacy Andrews moved rookie defensive tackle Jason Shirley 15 yards downfield with a lightning-fast start.

Most entertaining, though, was the enthusiastic response of first-year defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer when a defensive player performed well. Zimmer was all over them, slapping their backs and rear end and top of the helmet.

Interesting note on Caldwell vs. Joseph. That's some nice work from the rookie on a physical corner.

By all accounts, Andrews is showing very nicely in the first few practices, especially when you consider Willie has in essence indicated he knows he is needing to step aside for him now.

Big deal on Andrews. The guy with a franchise tag took advantage of the most raw rookie draft pick the Bengals have to offer. Anything less would be cause for concern.

My, your glass is three-quarters empty right now.

Is Andrews to be the board's default whipping boy because people are mad at his contract situation? My comment on him encompassed more than just this note, by the way. There has been a lot of talk so far that he has seized the job at RT and even Willie knows it, making it not really a competition. We shall see, I suppose.

My bad for trying to provide a little chatter on the board...

Thanks for the info.

The highlight there for me was the comment about Zimmer getting into the drill. This defense desperately needs active leadership. There are no players to provide it right now. It's a good fit if Zimmer can be the emotional leader of the defense and inturn teach some younger guys how to step up and be leaders themselves.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 02:56 PM EST [General]

GEORGETOWN, Ky. -- Well, the Bengals, sans Keither Rivers and Antwan Odom, are underway in full pads.

The two big additions to the defense aren't here, but I'd argue there's on addition that was even larger this off-season to help the Bengal matador defense -- Mike Zimmer.

I was always a Zimmer fan when he was with the Cowboys, and think he'll help improve this squad, even though I'm not so sure he has the talent to do it. One thing helps, he's got two good corners and two safeties who could become pretty good. The defensive line is still a large question mark, and we'll see how the linebackers fill out.

* Oh, the excitement of stretching. $15 on parking well spent, I'm sure.

*As QBs work with receivers, Chad Johnson is on the field lining up against said receivers and playing "Don't Bump and Don't Run" defense.

* And here we go, real live hitting is underway. And it's finally Oklahoma time. Rudi Johnson looking strong. Daniel Coats just destroyed Dhani Jones on an Oklahoma drill. Chris Perry surprises. Wow. What a play by Leon Hall.

If one person loves Oklahoma more than Chick Ludwig, it may be Mike Zimmer. It's like he's part of the drill.

Great blocking by Andre Caldwell on Joseph.

Stacy Andrews, roadpaver

Really nice block by Taylor Whaley, upending his guy.

* The Oklahoma drill has concluded and Stacy Andrews looked to be the big winner. Now we've got some more offense and defensive drills.

* And away we go with the first team offense facing off against what looks to be the first team defense....

Actually, it's 9-on-9.

Daniel Coats getting the start at fullback.

Now it's Chris Perry in -- he's pushed to the outside and doesn't get any yards, but he does have some quick feet. A real nice cutback on another and he doesn't want to go down. Good to see from Perry. Of course, he's still a question mark until he's out there during the regular season.

* When Rudi Johnson doesn't want to go down, he doesn't go down.

Talked to him a bit last night, he's up to 230 pounds. He said he was 235 pounds in college and I saw that first-hand, when he's at his best, he just tires out defenses. That's what he did in the SEC, he wouldn't be all that imrpessive in the first half and then come through in the second half like he was Jim freakin' Brown. He said he felt better, and worked most of the off-season on his legs.

He looks faster. He's certainly impressed the scribes so far, that's for sure.

It's odd to call a guy wtih nearly 6,000 career rushing yards a sa camp break-out player, but I think he may earn that distinction, at least so far.

* Fullback is certainly a position battle to watch. Daniel Coats has been impressive, but there's certainly an opportunity for two guys with Ohio ties -- UC and Elder product Bradley Glatthaar and Ohio State alum Tyler Whaley -- to make an impression, especially as Jeremi Johnson is being run around on the sidelines trying to lose weight.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2008/07/29/day_2_begins

Tuesday update: Agent visits

By GEOFF HOBSON

July 29, 2008

ShareThis

Updated: 4:45 p.m.

GEORGETOWN, Ky. - In a hopeful sign that a deal is near for first-round pick Keith Rivers, an industry source said Tuesday that agent David Dunn is at Georgetown College on Tuesday presumably speaking to Bengals officials.

On the field, the Bengals came out hitting Tuesday in the annual Oklahoma Drill, which lines up tackler vs. blocker and a ball carrier.

The biggest hit came courtesy of right tackle Stacy Andrews, who backed up rookie defensive tackle Jason Shirley on to I-75 and got mobbed by the offense in the first day of full pads and live action.

The best defensive hit probably belonged to David Jones, the third cornerback who came into this camp trying to show he can also hit as well as cover. He shed rookie receiver Clyde Logan like a rag doll and stuffed rookie running back James Johnson.

Veteran tight end Reggie Kelly always dominates these things and he impressively flung linebacker Rashad Jeanty to the ground. Fullback Daniel Coats was also impressive in his matchup with the linebackers.

Maybe the most heartening thing was the way running back Chris Perry darted around.

Defensive and Antwan Odom was on the field in civies wearing a boot. Safety Dexter Jackson, who had a cramp at the end of Monday night's practice, wasn't on the field.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6906

Thanks for the info.

The highlight there for me was the comment about Zimmer getting into the drill. This defense desperately needs active leadership. There are no players to provide it right now. It's a good fit if Zimmer can be the emotional leader of the defense and inturn teach some younger guys how to step up and be leaders themselves.

I am so glad to finally have a d-coordinator who isn't a big sack of wet toilet paper. Some intensity is a nice approach on that side of the ball, it has always seemed to me. Competence is a nice thing too.

Here's the Jags doing the Oklahoma Drill. Is there a video with the Bengals doing the Oklahoma Drill yet?

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80997071

Is Andrews to be the board's default whipping boy because people are mad at his contract situation? My comment on him encompassed more than just this note, by the way. There has been a lot of talk so far that he has seized the job at RT and even Willie knows it, making it not really a competition. We shall see, I suppose.

Nah... I'm not too pessimistic. Had Andrews been pushing Peko, or hell - even Thornton down the field I'd have been pretty damn happy. I'm interested to see Caldwell performing well. Maybe we have a WR who will be able to block for the running game. The Reggie Kelly thing seems predictable, but still encouraging. He's one of the best blocking TE's in the league (I just wish Jeanty were better).

The Andrews thing just didn't seem to be of note. That's all I was saying. I want him extended long term, so he's not my whipping boy. I'm a big fan of Big Willie, but he's old as dirt and Andrews could be a cornerstone of this O-Line in the future along with Whitworth. Just don't ask me to think it is a big deal when he beats a 5th round draft pick in one of the first practices.

And for the record... I wasn't attacking you or your note. No need to try to defend yourself. I was just pointing out that this particular fact didn't rank as a top story in Ron Burgandy's world.

Would we be surprised if we found out that Housh managed to beat Corey Lynch in a practice drill? Nope... just relieved that the world is still in the order it should be. If it were reversed we would see a player we categorize as a high-caliber starter getting out played by a late draft pick not expected to make much an impact. That's my only point.

But if you want to think I'm a pessimist... that's cool. After all, I don't think the Bengals are going to the playoffs, I think Chad is a douche, and I don't like paying $4.00 for gas. Maybe you're right about me.

Thanks for the info.

Totally agree, it's great to see Zimmer not only pushing, but encouraging the defense as well. It would be nice to see one of the vets step up and take a larger leadership role, but outside of Dhani Jones (maybe), I really doubt it will happen.

Nah... I'm not too pessimistic. Had Andrews been pushing Peko, or hell - even Thornton down the field I'd have been pretty damn happy. I'm interested to see Caldwell performing well. Maybe we have a WR who will be able to block for the running game. The Reggie Kelly thing seems predictable, but still encouraging. He's one of the best blocking TE's in the league (I just wish Jeanty were better).

The Andrews thing just didn't seem to be of note. That's all I was saying. I want him extended long term, so he's not my whipping boy. I'm a big fan of Big Willie, but he's old as dirt and Andrews could be a cornerstone of this O-Line in the future along with Whitworth. Just don't ask me to think it is a big deal when he beats a 5th round draft pick in one of the first practices.

And for the record... I wasn't attacking you or your note. No need to try to defend yourself. I was just pointing out that this particular fact didn't rank as a top story in Ron Burgandy's world.

Would we be surprised if we found out that Housh managed to beat Corey Lynch in a practice drill? Nope... just relieved that the world is still in the order it should be. If it were reversed we would see a player we categorize as a high-caliber starter getting out played by a late draft pick not expected to make much an impact. That's my only point.

But if you want to think I'm a pessimist... that's cool. After all, I don't think the Bengals are going to the playoffs, I think Chad is a douche, and I don't like paying $4.00 for gas. Maybe you're right about me.

I wasn't that impressed either derek... Like you said, if it were Peko or even Thorton that Andrews had "roadpaved," I would be much more impressed... Does that mean that I don't think Andrew is going to be great this year? NO. I think Andrews will show us all why he got tagged. Hopefully he agrees long term the f**king bastard.

I'm not predicting the playoffs either, derek. And I don't think you a pessimist.

I am just so ready for on-field news that any little bit is fun to think on. I do happen to think Andrews is about to surprise a lot of people on this board, and I look forward to the surprise. I don't think some folks grasp just how green he was coming into the NFL, and that, with his physical gifts, he has a chance to be a real monster.

At any rate, stuck at my desk, buried in work in Memphis, I am desperate for any bit of news, even if it is Andrews thumping apartment boy.

I am just so ready for on-field news that any little bit is fun to think on. I do happen to think Andrews is about to surprise a lot of people on this board, and I look forward to the surprise. I don't think some folks grasp just how green he was coming into the NFL, and that, with his physical gifts, he has a chance to be a real monster.

At any rate, stuck at my desk, buried in work in Memphis, I am desperate for any bit of news, even if it is Andrews thumping apartment boy.

God, ain't that the truth. Sucks for us out-of-towners, huh?

I hope you're right about Andrews. And if it does happen, he better give them a nice home-town discount for sticking with his sorry ass all these years.

But I have to agree with the general consensus - given that Shirley is reported to actually have less agility than a tackling sled, it don't mean a thing. But at least it's not bad news, so there's that.

By the way, you guys think we've had a tough offseason - the Redskins are working on "worst week EVER." Not sure they'll have a team by September at this rate.