Bengals going back after Chris Henry?

schnarfer

I really don't understand why people are so hard on Chris Henry

His penchant for getting suspended for doing really stupid s**t which usually gets him suspended by the league.

Listen...he's a very good player, but he's not worth putting the organization at risk.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has Hall of Fame potential. That's why the Bengals are taking another look. Wide receivers with his size, speed and second gear don't come around often. There is only one I can think of in the last 20 years and that would be Mr. Randy Moss. I really don't understand why people are so hard on Chris Henry; We've all done dumb things in our early 20's and like it's been said in a previous post, they were all misdemeanor offenses. I don't think he's as big a gamble as Adam Jones, who has apparently (so far) turned himself around, too. People need to realize that T.J. will not be a Bengal next year.....or if he is, that means Chad will most likely be gone. I would love to see Chris back.
you're joking right?? The guy is dumber than a bag of hammers..... He don't and he won't ever get it... Chris Henry thinks he can do whatever the hell he wants when he wants, no matter if it's legal or detrimental to his career... We've all done boneheaded things, but pulling a gun on a police officer?? The guy even lost his house for crying out loud and he supposedly changed his life for his kid... If he can't stay out of trouble for his kid, then what makes you think he can stay out of trouble for the Bengals?? He's blowing smoke up everyone's ass, with "I'm a changed person".... He hasn't changed...

Maybe I'm just one that things that people can change, in the right circumstances. What about Randy Moss getting expelled from ND and FSU? Warren Sapp dropping in the draft to the Bucs because he liked to get high at the time, and going on to a HOF career? Allen Iverson, going from a prison sentence to an NBA HOF'er? Even Ray Lewis going from a murder suspect to a Super Bowl MVP? What about Cincinnati's own Ken Griffey, Jr. going from an attempted suicide to a HR king? I could go on and on, but the point is, let's not be so quick to judge a person's potential for change based on mistakes they've made in their youth. That's really all I'm saying.

Sometimes, it takes people to hit rock bottom for them to smarten up. A potential year long suspension, termination from your former employer and a house forclosure when you have a new child are as close to rock bottom as it gets! Minus the beer bottle incident, he has been situation free for over a year and the aforementioned incident was thrown out. Hopefully, after Josh Hamilton, Cincinnati realizes that truly special talent doesn't grow on tress. It is definately a risk/reward situation but in the NFL, you have to gamble. All the greats had some type of question about them at some point in their careers. Show me one that didn't in the last 30 years or since I've been watching NFL football.

They gambled on him when they drafted him. I don't think they should gamble again. He already burned them once.

Maybe I'm just one that things that people can change, in the right circumstances. What about Randy Moss getting expelled from ND and FSU? Warren Sapp dropping in the draft to the Bucs because he liked to get high at the time, and going on to a HOF career? Allen Iverson, going from a prison sentence to an NBA HOF'er? Even Ray Lewis going from a murder suspect to a Super Bowl MVP? What about Cincinnati's own Ken Griffey, Jr. going from an attempted suicide to a HR king? I could go on and on, but the point is, let's not be so quick to judge a person's potential for change based on mistakes they've made in their youth. That's really all I'm saying.

Most of the people you mentioned had one incident that they learned from. How many times has Henry been arrested now? Three or four, I can't keep count. He's obviously not learning from his mistakes and that's why we can't afford to bring him back again. Maybe the Cowboys, if they're willing to pay a security team 24/7 to keep him outta trouble like they do for Pacman (sorry, he'll always be Pacman) Jones, would take a chance on him.

Here we go folks...

Report: Henry draws interest from Bengals

By Chick Ludwig

SEVERAL TEAMS, INCLUDING BENGALS INTERESTED IF HE GETS REINSTATED

ESPN.com is reporting that suspended wide receiver Chris Henry is interested in returning to the Cincinnati Bengals, who released him on April 3, 2008.

Henry’s agent claims a return to the Bengals is a possibility if Henry is reinstated by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

“We have interest in several teams, including Cincinnati,” Marvin Frazier said in ESPN.com’s report.

According to ESPN.com’s story, Frazier said the Bengals have shown preliminary interest in Henry, whose assault charge was dropped in Hamilton County court earlier this week.

The Bengals terminated Henry’s contract after the player’s fifth arrest in three seasons. With Henry’s legal issues apparently resolved, the door to reinstatement could open.

Bengals public relations director Jack Brennan issued this statement from the club:

“Chris is presently under NFL suspension, and until such time as he may be reinstated, we are not in position to comment. Even in the event he is reinstated, he is no longer our player, and rarely if ever do we comment on any player who is not under contract with us.”

Henry, a third-round draft pick from West Virginia in 2005, has 88 receptions for 1,370 yards and 17 touchdowns as Cincinnati’s No. 3 wide receiver behind Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

After the assault charge against Henry was dropped, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said, “All we could say is this would be reviewed at the appropriate time, and all factors would be considered,”

In a July 2 interview with WONE-AM radio’s Sportstalk 980, Henry said he’s learned a lot from his string of arrests and would welcome the opportunity play for the Bengals again.

“I hope so,” Henry said at the time. “I love playing for Cincinnati. I got really tight with a bunch of my teammates in Cincinnati. I would love for that to happen, but you never know.

“I learned a lot about everything that happened, and everything taught me a lesson. Just about being in the wrong places and hanging out with the wrong people. I just need to handle myself like a professional at all times. That’s pretty much what I need to do to stay in the league and get another shot at this. That’s what I plan on doing.”

He has Hall of Fame potential. That's why the Bengals are taking another look. Wide receivers with his size, speed and second gear don't come around often. There is only one I can think of in the last 20 years and that would be Mr. Randy Moss. I really don't understand why people are so hard on Chris Henry; We've all done dumb things in our early 20's and like it's been said in a previous post, they were all misdemeanor offenses. I don't think he's as big a gamble as Adam Jones, who has apparently (so far) turned himself around, too. People need to realize that T.J. will not be a Bengal next year.....or if he is, that means Chad will most likely be gone. I would love to see Chris back.

I would've agreed in 2006, but last year he was not very good, yet I factor in the off passing game due to the bad interior line play and lack of a consistent running game, or even an outlet TE or WR beyond TJ.

When Glenn Holt is your #3 guy, you're hurtin'. Henry took a big step back last year, and I lost a lot of faith in him, even when he's sober and not being an idiot.

Well if they decide not to bring back Henry no big deal, but what if the Browns sign him to replace Jerivicous (spelling) and he becomes the next Josh Hamilton and burns the Bengals twice a year? Don't know if I can live with that.

We drafted David Klingler for the very same reason.

Let the Browns have him... As much as I loved his abilities as a WR, I couldn't stand how f*cking stupid this kid was.

I mean seriously, how mentally f*cking constipated can one boy be ??

WHODEY !!!

Army -- You have scored a direct hit! :sure:

He is STUPID. He needs another brain (with person attached) to follow him around and help him with his decisions.

Despite that I'd not be unhappy, if the Bengals resigned him. :rolleyes:

As Albus Dumbledore said "it is not our abilities that show what we truly are -- it is our CHOICES."

Chris Henry needs BIG help with his decisions.

Don't want him and don't need him...let someone else deal with the head case.

Thing is, if the Bengals re-sign him, then they tell the commissioner they are open for business to all knuckle heads in the league. They tell him they haven't learned anything from their experiences. They tell the 10 new draft picks that the party isn't over, just don't get caught and all will eventually be forgiven.

Until Goodell rules on Henry's eligibility this is all moot anyway.

i'm not certain goodell will reinstate henry for this season, but who knows....

as for henry coming back, i'm on the fence. he's burned us too many times and can't be relied on to keep his nose clean.

part of me says, "f**k him, let him go," and the other part of me, who has loved the kid's play since his last season at WVU, knows he's a difference-maker and carson's favorite target.

ultimately, i think we might need to move on and build a foundation with the guys we have...

I really don't understand why people are so hard on Chris Henry; We've all done dumb things in our early 20's and like it's been said in a previous post, they were all misdemeanor offenses. I don't think he's as big a gamble as Adam Jones, who has apparently (so far) turned himself around, too.

Really? We've all pointed guns at strangers and hooked up with jailbait? Maybe you have, I skipped out on that part.

And if you're drinking the "reformed Pac Man" kool aid, that says a lot.

Look, anybody can see that he's one of the most talented WRs in the league. But if he can't stay on the field, what good is he?

I really don't understand why people are so hard on Chris Henry; We've all done dumb things in our early 20's and like it's been said in a previous post, they were all misdemeanor offenses. I don't think he's as big a gamble as Adam Jones, who has apparently (so far) turned himself around, too.

Really? We've all pointed guns at strangers and hooked up with jailbait? Maybe you have, I skipped out on that part.

And if you're drinking the "reformed Pac Man" kool aid, that says a lot.

Look, anybody can see that he's one of the most talented WRs in the league. But if he can't stay on the field, what good is he?

He just needs one more chance. /said in a voice that rises in pitch with with every word.

Will nobody think of the phathead douchebag pro athlete?

But personally, I don't hate the guy. If he gets another chance then good luck to him (except playing against the Bengals). I just don't see why we'd be willing to be the franchise that gives him that chance, considering he threw the patience previously shown to him right back in the face of Marvin and Mike Brown, not to mention his team mates.

Over lunch, I did the following:

Rented a hotel room and plied a 17-year-old with alcohol. She may or may not have been a hooker. I wasn't entirely sure.

Got in an altercation with my fellow attorney toughs, hopped out carrying my personalized MEMBENGAL briefcase, and waved a gun at another car of lawyer toughs, not knowing that one of the parties looking on was an undercover cop when I waved my gun in his direction.

On my way back to the office, I was pulled over for having a taillight out. Unforunately, when asked, I did admit to carrying a baggie of Canada's finest in my left shoe.

It was a FULL one hour lunch.

But, hey, it's nothing we ALL have not done at some point, right?

Over lunch, I did the following:

Rented a hotel room and plied a 17-year-old with alcohol. She may or may not have been a hooker. I wasn't entirely sure.

Got in an altercation with my fellow attorney toughs, hopped out carrying my personalized MEMBENGAL briefcase, and waved a gun at another car of lawyer toughs, not knowing that one of the parties looking on was an undercover cop when I waved my gun in his direction.

On my way back to the office, I was pulled over for having a taillight out. Unforunately, when asked, I did admit to carrying a baggie of Canada's finest in my left shoe.

It was a FULL one hour lunch.

But, hey, it's nothing we ALL have not done at some point, right?

Dang, you had to include the hooker part didn't you?

If the Bengals resign this idiot, it may be the one thing that pushes me over the edge and makes me wash my hands of this franchise forever.

The guy has proved time and again that he can't be counted on, so why would they even consider this?

To quote Sports Illustrated's Peter King:

If the Bengals do that, I will personally demand the entire front office be drug-tested.

If the Bengals resign this idiot, it may be the one thing that pushes me over the edge and makes me wash my hands of this franchise forever.

The guy has proved time and again that he can't be counted on, so why would they even consider this?

To quote Sports Illustrated's Peter King:

If the Bengals do that, I will personally demand the entire front office be drug-tested.

Oh yeah Peter I'm real sure of that... Your going to drug test the front office for putting together THE BEST trio of WR's in the NFL? Get real man, there isn't a better trio than CJ, TJ, and Baby Moss.

Henry may be stupid, but the kid can play ball and that's really all that matters from here on out if he can stay on the straight and narrow. I wish him luck and I would welcom him back with open arms.

Henry may be stupid, but the kid can play ball and that's really all that matters from here on out if he can stay on the straight and narrow. I wish him luck and I would welcom him back with open arms.

That's a serious "if", seeing as how he hasn't been able to get on the straight and narrow yet. I'd take him back only if he hires a chauffeur/bodyguard/babysitter to stay with him at all times.

That's a serious "if", seeing as how he hasn't been able to get on the straight and narrow yet. I'd take him back only if he hires a chauffeur/bodyguard/babysitter to stay with him at all times.

If you're talking about the plot of the next Will Ferrell movie, that sounds hilarious and I'd buy a ticket. :cheers:

But I won't be buying game tickets if this thing goes through w/ my favorite team. :(

Thank God! i cant deal with another season of "i cant wait til we get Henry back, we're gonna be sick" he can not be relied on. Although i wish we wouldnt have cut him prematurely and we could have traded him for a 4th rounder maybe cuz someone is going to pick him up. i mean if you commit a crime wearing your own jersey you should be forced to be supervised at all times because congratulations your a moron and should never be allowed to reproduce.