10,000th Bengals topic

gregstephens

I know it's cheap, but I'm taking it. Here's the 10,000th Bengals' related topic.

Who's the heir apparent for PR and KR?

Here's a thought from the past.....Why not let Deltha O'Neal return punts? He isnt a starting Corner anymore, so less risk there, and he was a pretty good PR in Denver and has a 10.1 career avg. Far better than Chatman's career 7.7 and 5.61 in 2 years with the Bengals.

I know it's cheap, but I'm taking it. Here's the 10,000th Bengals' related topic.

Who's the heir apparent for PR and KR?

Here's a thought from the past.....Why not let Deltha O'Neal return punts? He isnt a starting Corner anymore, so less risk there, and he was a pretty good PR in Denver and has a 10.1 career avg. Far better than Chatman's career 7.7 and 5.61 in 2 years with the Bengals.

Yeah, but he's 31 and hasn't been a PR on a regular basis since 2003. One of the knocks on him as a corner is his declining speed. I don't see it happening.

From the OTA footage, it looks like the Bengals are taking a hard look at Caldwell on KR's. PR is more of a question mark but I believe that Chatman will get the first crack there. It seems like Chatman is there only option, really, unless somebody surprises in camp. I would personally like to see DeDe more in the return game, if he is able. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Bengals look at the waiver wire for a returner, as they did last year in Eddie Drummond (although they were unable to sign him). The only problem with that is it would probably mean one less young, talented WR in a year where your best WR is a question mark.

From the OTA footage, it looks like the Bengals are taking a hard look at Caldwell on KR's. PR is more of a question mark but I believe that Chatman will get the first crack there. It seems like Chatman is there only option, really, unless somebody surprises in camp. I would personally like to see DeDe more in the return game, if he is able. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Bengals look at the waiver wire for a returner, as they did last year in Eddie Drummond (although they were unable to sign him). The only problem with that is it would probably mean one less young, talented WR in a year where your best WR is a question mark.

I'm with you on DeDe. I think it's a foregone conclusion he isn't going to much of a factor in the running game, depending on the health of Perry and Irons of course. He can be a big playmaker that busts open a game. That's not a bad experiment.

I would personally like to see DeDe more in the return game, if he is able.

He is not able, at least as a Punt Returner. The most important thing about returning punts, is HANDS. Thats why you seldom see RB's as Punt Returners.

You mostly see WR's or CB's or just Speacialty guys doing it. DeDe is quick, and may be able to return Kickoffs, but he doesnt have the HANDS to be a Punt Returner. Returning Kickoffs, you have plenty of time to catch the ball then take off, However on punts, there is usually a guy or two within a couple of feet of you as the ball is coming into yours hands.....Sure hands are a must.

I am going to stick with #85 getting a shot at KR/PR during camp and presaeson. He can play CB to since he has been complaining about it for so long. Maybe he can figure out how to make some YAC with some practice time at PR.

Back to reality, I dont have any problem with Holt/Chatman carrying on at these spots as long as they continue to catch the ball and not put it on the ground during the return. Return yardage is a bonus, the most important part of the kick is to control possesion.

Even if he could do PR, how would that look for the Bengals to sign an AFL reject?

Not much worse than the signing of Chris Henry and Odell Thurman.

I don't know about that. We know of Warrick's past issues AND he couldn't make it in indoor ball.

I was speaking more to their off-field issues.

Even if he could do PR, how would that look for the Bengals to sign an AFL reject?

I don't know about that. We know of Warrick's past issues AND he couldn't make it in indoor ball.

I was looking more to the on-field aspect. He's old, wasn't that good when he was here the first time, and bombed out of playing football in an auditorium. Wasn't he pretty known for fumbles when he did returns for us? I seem to remember he could get decent yards on a PR only to pop the ball out and give it up.

Besides, in terms of off-field issues, don't forget the shopping store thing with him and Laverneaus Coles that cost him a two game suspension at Miami and maybe the Heisman. Also, he was cut from AFL because he pulled an ocho-cinco and refused to report. He was signed in May by a CFL team (Montreal) and was cut a month later. With that resume, a Bengals' signing would be humiliating.

I was looking more to the on-field aspect. He's old, wasn't that good when he was here the first time, and bombed out of playing football in an auditorium. Wasn't he pretty known for fumbles when he did returns for us? I seem to remember he could get decent yards on a PR only to pop the ball out and give it up.

Besides, in terms of off-field issues, don't forget the shopping store thing with him and Laverneaus Coles that cost him a two game suspension at Miami and maybe the Heisman. Also, he was cut from AFL because he pulled an ocho-cinco and refused to report. He was signed in May by a CFL team (Montreal) and was cut a month later. With that resume, a Bengals' signing would be humiliating.

My point Greg is that I feel both sides of our discussion leave the Bengals humiliated. Unfortunately they have a penchant for doing that to themselves far more often than I would like.

My point Greg is that I feel both sides of our discussion leave the Bengals humiliated. Unfortunately they have a penchant for doing that to themselves far more often than I would like.

I'm not disagreeing with you on this. We got no beef here. Neither of us suggested Warrick. All of our comments are perfectly valid examples of problems inherent in the Bengals organization for the past almost two decades. Calm down. No issue here.

I'm not disagreeing with you on this. We got no beef here. Neither of us suggested Warrick. All of our comments are perfectly valid examples of problems inherent in the Bengals organization for the past almost two decades. Calm down. No issue here.

^_^ Calm down? I'm sitting on my porch enjoying a beautiful Arizona mountain sunset smoking a $12 Arturo cigar. If I was anymore calm, I'd be comatose! :P

^_^ Calm down? I'm sitting on my porch enjoying a beautiful Arizona mountain sunset smoking a $12 Arturo cigar. If I was anymore calm, I'd be comatose! :P

Arturo? I must confess I've never crossed the double digit mark on a stoagie. I'm a five buck Macanudo Hyde Park Cafe guy. How's the Arturo?

Arturo? I must confess I've never crossed the double digit mark on a stoagie. I'm a five buck Macanudo Hyde Park Cafe guy. How's the Arturo?

I didn't buy it. It was a surprise from the little woman. Personally I'd never drop $12 on a single cigar when I could have two just as good for the same money. FWIW, it was no better than those Macanudos you frequent. Besides...I'm only allowed to smoke them outside.

I didn't buy it. It was a surprise from the little woman. Personally I'd never drop $12 on a single cigar when I could have two just as good for the same money. FWIW, it was no better than those Macanudos you frequent. Besides...I'm only allowed to smoke them outside.

I'm an outdoors only indulger myself. You probably get the pleasure all twelve months, but I get four months off in the ten degree weather and it sucks.