17 regular season games

The 4th pre-season game is always worthless in book anyway, so lets just cut to the chase and get the party started!

NFL eyes 17th game to grow revenue, shorten preseason

By John Clayton

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell raised the possibility of having a 17th regular-season game as an option to help settle some of the league's future labor problems.

"We are actually looking at that as one alternative," Goodell said Tuesday at the NFL owners meeting in Atlanta, the same day that the league's owners voted unanimously to opt out of their labor deal with the players' union two years early. "We think that may have an impact on some of the things we would want to talk to the players about. It's on the table."

A 17th regular-season game could replace a fourth preseason game and the possibility comes at a time that the league is not satisfied with the quality of the preseason. The league made a presentation to owners about ways to improve the current preseason Tuesday.

Under the current system, most NFL teams play 20 games -- four in the preseason and 16 during the regular season. Because of injury concerns to starters, many teams play starters for only a series in the preseason opener and often don't play starters in the final preseason game.

"We are not satisfied with the quality of the preseason right now," Goodell said. "We'd like to improve on that."

By adding a 17th regular-season game, more revenue could be created to help in negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement. NFL owners voted 32-0 on Tuesday to shorten the collective bargaining agreement with the NFLPA to 2011, with 2010 being played without a salary cap.

"It would create new revenue," Goodell said. "Our thought process was we might reduce preseason by a game in return for that. Actually, the players would still play the same number of games. It could give us an opportunity to play a higher quality of football."

Goodell noted that the NFL used to have six preseason games.

"Now, it's become more of a year-round business," Goodell said. "Athletes come in better prepared for the season both physically and mentally. Is it necessary to play four preseason games to get the players prepared to play in the regular season?"

For competitive purposes, the ninth home game would alternate between the conferences every other year, should the NFL use the 17th game option.

NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw didn't seem thrilled with the possibility of playing 17 regular-season games.

"No, it's great to have more revenue," Upshaw said. "Any discussion we've had with them about playing another game, they've always said, they would like to do it, but they don't want to pay for it. They say, 'Why should you be concerned, you get 60 percent?' But we also get paid on games played.

"We're not going to agree to play an extra game and not get paid for it. That's what they want us to do," he said. "That discussion is going to be very short."

I'm down with a 17th game. And I don't get Upshaws objection -- OK, wait, I do, I just think it's BS. If my employer decides that, say, President's Day is no longer a company holiday, do I get paid more because I have to work an extra day a year? No! And as is pointed out, they are already playing the game anyhow.

The 4th pre-season game is always worthless in book anyway, so lets just cut to the chase and get the party started!

NFL eyes 17th game to grow revenue, shorten preseason

By John Clayton

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell raised the possibility of having a 17th regular-season game as an option to help settle some of the league's future labor problems.

"We are actually looking at that as one alternative," Goodell said Tuesday at the NFL owners meeting in Atlanta, the same day that the league's owners voted unanimously to opt out of their labor deal with the players' union two years early. "We think that may have an impact on some of the things we would want to talk to the players about. It's on the table."

A 17th regular-season game could replace a fourth preseason game and the possibility comes at a time that the league is not satisfied with the quality of the preseason. The league made a presentation to owners about ways to improve the current preseason Tuesday.

Under the current system, most NFL teams play 20 games -- four in the preseason and 16 during the regular season. Because of injury concerns to starters, many teams play starters for only a series in the preseason opener and often don't play starters in the final preseason game.

"We are not satisfied with the quality of the preseason right now," Goodell said. "We'd like to improve on that."

By adding a 17th regular-season game, more revenue could be created to help in negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement. NFL owners voted 32-0 on Tuesday to shorten the collective bargaining agreement with the NFLPA to 2011, with 2010 being played without a salary cap.

"It would create new revenue," Goodell said. "Our thought process was we might reduce preseason by a game in return for that. Actually, the players would still play the same number of games. It could give us an opportunity to play a higher quality of football."

Goodell noted that the NFL used to have six preseason games.

"Now, it's become more of a year-round business," Goodell said. "Athletes come in better prepared for the season both physically and mentally. Is it necessary to play four preseason games to get the players prepared to play in the regular season?"

For competitive purposes, the ninth home game would alternate between the conferences every other year, should the NFL use the 17th game option.

NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw didn't seem thrilled with the possibility of playing 17 regular-season games.

"No, it's great to have more revenue," Upshaw said. "Any discussion we've had with them about playing another game, they've always said, they would like to do it, but they don't want to pay for it. They say, 'Why should you be concerned, you get 60 percent?' But we also get paid on games played.

"We're not going to agree to play an extra game and not get paid for it. That's what they want us to do," he said. "That discussion is going to be very short."

That would be nice. By the end of the 3rd preseason game I think the coaches already have a perspective of who will make the team and who will either go to the practice squad or get cut. It would still be the same number of games that the players have to play, except for now one of those games will be for real and not just a 4th unnecessary preseason game.

That would be nice. By the end of the 3rd preseason game I think the coaches already have a perspective of who will make the team and who will either go to the practice squad or get cut. It would still be the same number of games that the players have to play, except for now one of those games will be for real and not just a 4th unnecessary preseason game.

Exactly. Every year our 4th pre-season game always proves worthless against Indy. We win early, they win later. What's the freakin' point?

Exactly. Every year our 4th pre-season game always proves worthless against Indy. We win early, they win later. What's the freakin' point?

No kidding. Why did we even star playing Indy so much in the preseason anyway? We've been doing it for a while now it seems like, just don't quite know how or why it started.

No kidding. Why did we even start playing Indy so much in the preseason anyway? We've been doing it for a while now it seems like, just don't quite know how or why it started.

My only guess is they are the closest NFL team to Cincinnati. Mix it up for crissakes! <_<

While I understand that checks are written out on a per game basis, the contracts signed are not signed at (for example) 16 games at 100,000 a game, its signed as 1 year 1.6 million, actually to be paid out in 17 installments(inclding the bye week). Gene Upshaw doesnt want a 17 game because he says the players will work for free? You flippin moron, THEN HAVE THE PLAYERS SIGN PER FREAKIN GAME CONTRACTS NOT PER YEAR(never happen). What a moron.

Upshaw is trying to say anything he can to rally players behind him so he can keep his job. I read somewhere that he makes over 6 million a year. That's just freakin ridiculous for someone who's only job is to be the collective voice of the players.

This is Roger Goodell in a nutshell. Take the basic business platform that his predecessors built, and figure out how to squeeze more money out of it. In no way is he an innovator or a creator. He's just a lawyer who kissed all the right asses during his years as league counsel.

Having said that, this is actually a good, albeit incredibly simple, idea.

Gene Upshaw surely recognizes that his union members already play 20 games. Changing the designation on one game from preseason to regular season, if it can help the league, is a winner two ways:

1. It provides a mechanism for the owners to soften their stance on the 60% revenue number. Increase the gross by 6.25% while adding almost no extra cash outlay, and the 60% number suddenly seems a lot less onerous. (I realize this is simplification, as I doubt the tv contracts automatically adjust upward, that will have to be renegotiated. Likewise ticket sales. But in the end, my opinion is that revenue will go up by somewhere between 2 and 7 percent).

2. It addresses the problem of the too long preseason. That 4th game is becoming an albatross for the league. Starters hardly see the field, if at all. And fans are getting defrauded by the claim that they are watching a game between the "Bengals and the Colts." They are seeing a game between practice squad candidates and career depth guys. The teams fielded a week later barely resemble the team you see in the 4th pre season game.

I can't figure Gene Upshaw out. On one hand, he may be posturing for his constituency, part of which perceives him as being too soft and in the NFL's pocket. On the other hand, he may be recognizing that the for about half the guys on each team, this means a whole extra game they'll have to play. The starters and regularly worked in guys don't do much in the 4th preseason game, but they'll surely be playing in the 17th regular season game. That's a big part of his union. If he agrees to this too quickly without their blessing he may be setting himself up for a big black eye just as he's getting ready to go out the door.

I heard on the radio that they were thinking about putting that 17th game for every team in LA so they could get the nfl experience. Not sure how i feel about that

Well I feel if they want the "NFL Experience", they should get their own NFL team! <_<

I heard on the radio that they were thinking about putting that 17th game for every team in LA so they could get the nfl experience. Not sure how i feel about that

Well I feel if they want the "NFL Experience", they should get their own NFL team! <_<

As a fan, I agree with Billy. If LA wants the NFL, how about keeping and supporting one of the two teams they've already had?

But from a business perspective, this is brialliant. Though why just LA? I'd consider one or two in LA, (And watching Al Davis, with his baseless claim to the NFL rights in the LA area, freak out over this would be worth the price of admission) Maybe 6 of these games at a neutral site, not 17. 6 makes them special. 17 makes them routine.

Can you imagine the publicity, the atmosphere, and the excitement a Monday Night game played between Atlanta and New Orleans would have if the game were played in Birmingham? And if that were the only NFL game to be played in Birmingham that fall?

It would generate huge interest for the NFL in the cities in which they played. They could try Vegas, someplace in Virginia, Austin, Texas, Grand Rapids, Michigan, and finally, I'd love to see a Browns vs Bengals matchup played in Columbus. Central Ohio would blow up. Salt Lake City comes to mind as well.

Here's my suggestion, go to a 17 game regular season and cut one of the stupid pre-season games out, leaving only 2. Everybody's happy -- the players have 1 less game overall and the fans get one more meaningful game. I have yet to hear any real reason for there being 4 preseason games and I, for one, would have no problem with there only being 2. I think the same decision-making could take place with less potential injury.