Thurman to be released? Merged

The thing I honestly don't understand is you are cutting guys like Henry and Thurmna who have had plenty of chances, but keep screwing up. I'm fine with that, but why draft and sign all of these guys with character issues? It really doesn't make sense. Get rid of Henry, Thurman, and Nicholson and bring in Shirley, Purify, and Hebert. I don't get it.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He *was* worth the trouble, back then. But now? After two years off? He may have already been a long shot, given conditioning worries and all, and then he gives them further reason to not trust him?

Again, he sleeps in the bed he made.

Not to trust him? It's a *funeral* for the woman *who raised him*. If my employer told me I had to be back within a day or I was fired, I'd tell 'em to **** off too.

Now if someone has pictures of him snorting coke off a stripper, that's another story.

He wasn't released the day AFTER the funeral it was a WEEK after the funeral...plus he has missed other voluntary work outs this off season. For a guy in the position Odell was in, I don't see the dedication to getting his career back on track. Not to mention he missed time to spend with his ailing grandmother before she died...that's understandable...but when is long enough long enough?

Like I stated before, all the jobs I worked before you got 3 days paid bereavement leave...no one has chimed in about that. What is the bereavement leave policy where you work? Honestly I think the Bengals would have been more lenient if it was a guy like Carson or Willie...but they EARNED that, Odell has not, in fact he has done just the opposite.

He *was* worth the trouble, back then. But now? After two years off? He may have already been a long shot, given conditioning worries and all, and then he gives them further reason to not trust him?

Not to trust him? It's a *funeral* for the woman *who raised him*. If my employer told me I had to be back within a day or I was fired, I'd tell 'em to **** off too.

Now if someone has pictures of him snorting coke off a stripper, that's another story.

If this is all the release was about, don't you think the agent would be LIVID and screaming lawsuit at the top of their lungs?!

C'mon, Marvin's taking the high road even with someone who doesn't deserve it the agent's letting it go so Odell doesn't get dragged through the muck...again.

If this is all the release was about, don't you think the agent would be LIVID and screaming lawsuit at the top of their lungs?!

C'mon, Marvin's taking the high road even with someone who doesn't deserve it the agent's letting it go so Odell doesn't get dragged through the muck...again.

Right, you mean something like this, on the front page of ESPN? ;) His agent's not screaming lawsuit because he's probably happy for Odell that he gets to bail on Cincinnati.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3402967

I think you need to check your facts.

From ESPN:

He missed the past several weeks of organized team activities to be with his ailing grandmother, who recently died, according to his representative, Safarrah Lawson.

The funeral for Thurman's grandmother was on May 12 and the Bengals wanted him to rejoin the team for workouts soon after, Lawson said. But Thurman remained with his family in Georgia through Monday, at which time the team informed him he was no longer a Bengal.

Just fyi - today's May 19th, and he still didn't show up.

He missed the past several weeks of organized team activities to be with his ailing grandmother, who recently died, according to his representative, Safarrah Lawson.

The funeral for Thurman's grandmother was on May 12 and the Bengals wanted him to rejoin the team for workouts soon after, Lawson said. But Thurman remained with his family in Georgia through Monday, at which time the team informed him he was no longer a Bengal.

Just fyi - today's May 19th, and he still didn't show up.

Seriously ... 'several weeks' to be withing ailing grandmother. The she dies and the funeral is on May 12. May 19th ... 7 DAYS AFTER THE FUNERAL ... which is probably about 10 days after her death ... he still does not show up. He seemed to have been warned. To me, this is taking the whole 'take as much time as you need' to an inappropriate level. I honestly doubt my employer would handle it much differently. I would get the benefit of time away without pay, but for something like a professional athlete ... and especially a professional athlete coming off admitted alcohol abuse and a 2 year suspension ... my guess is that it would not and should not be tolerated.

My guess is that Odell will go to a team that knows how to coral players into behaving like the Patriots. Lets all just hope he doesn't go to a division foe. Could you imagine Ray Lewis taking Odell under his wing and turning him into a perennial Pro Bowl LB? <_<

It's unfortunate (to say the least) that his Grandmother died. Especially as he was so close to her. However, the fact that he's been cut is unsurprising in itself. It would have been something or other.

Thurman has many problems and now without his last remaining "parental figure", they will be magnified. If he signs with another team, he won't last long. He's got to sort his life out, nevermind his job.

Good luck Odell.

So, Brookes (assuming the story a week or so ago turns out to be nothing more than a story) to MLB? Or Jones?

Yet another bone head by the Bengals - they could have traded him and got something out of him.

If they did cut him because he had not not came to camp that is a bone head move.

You cant cut a guy that just lost his grandmother that raised him?That is like loosing your grandmother ,mother and father at one time.

If he slipped up and had a drink after going through something like that I think you have to cut him some slack.

If he was going to get suspended for drinking I think you have to apeal that decision.

I guess if he was on drugs that is another thing but,I still think you have to look at his loss.

Maybe the dumbest thing of all is, knowing all of the trouble that have had with guys that have character issues and what it has cost them,they go out and draft a bunch more.

The sad thing is they could have had some good LB's that were unsigned free agents like J.Leeman if they took signing free agents serious.

I hate to say it but ,I think this is the straw that broke the camel's back.

With the new (sucky) deffensive coordinator,one of the hardedest schedules in the NFL,the loss or Henry, the loss ofThurman,the A-hole antics of Chad,the antics of T.J., the for sure final loss of Pollack,the lack of adressing needs in the draft,....... I could go on ---This season may be over already.

This kind of stuff takes a toll on a team and I dont just mean the team's depth chart , I mean psychologically.

It looks like that the Bengals have a giant cosmic Kick me sign on their backs.

Thurman's release leaves them with 10 linebackers, half of which are veterans that have a combined nine NFL starts. Three of them are rookies. The other two are the most experienced in Jones' 83 starts and starting SAM backer Rashad Jeanty's 16.

With cutting odell we must have the best Linebackers in the league.....O wait o_O

Yet another bone head by the Bengals - they could have traded him and got something out of him.

Good point. Even if it was just a low-round conditional pick, like the Jets got for Robertson from Denver, at least there's a chance to recoup something from the whole debacle. But doing that would require a level of creativity the bengals rarely demonstrate.

call me crazy, but I just dont like terminating someone... anyone, this close to that person losing a mother type figure. This story is just sad from a human standpoint, forget the football aspect. I dont care if he was busted in bar with drinks in both hands...its to close to his what I consider is the guys mother's death. Very sad.

<_<

Put me solidly in the camp of people that believe there is MORE to this.

Could the team be saving him a league suspension? More likely is that they are saving the team from tolerating another suspension. My guess is that he has been on a bender, made promises he couldn't keep (I'll be there tomorrow, tommorow.....) and finally the bengals blinked.

Who knows. I have moved on.

If they did cut him because he had not not came to camp that is a bone head move.

You cant cut a guy that just lost his grandmother that raised him?That is like loosing your grandmother ,mother and father at one time.

If he slipped up and had a drink after going through something like that I think you have to cut him some slack.

If he was going to get suspended for drinking I think you have to apeal that decision.

I guess if he was on drugs that is another thing but,I still think you have to look at his loss.

Maybe the dumbest thing of all is, knowing all of the trouble that have had with guys that have character issues and what it has cost them,they go out and draft a bunch more.

The sad thing is they could have had some good LB's that were unsigned free agents like J.Leeman if they took signing free agents serious.

With the new (sucky) deffensive coordinator,one of the hardedest schedules in the NFL,the loss or Henry, the loss ofThurman,the A-hole antics of Chad,the antics of T.J., the for sure final loss of Pollack,the lack of adressing needs in the draft,....... I could go on ---This season may be over already.

This kind of stuff takes a toll on a team and I dont just mean the team's depth chart , I mean psychologically.

Ok...either you haven't read the other posts or you are turning a blind eye like the media normally do when it comes to the Bengals...

What is the bereavement policy at your work? If you went past the allotted time and were told to come back to work and you didn't, would you get fired?

Everyone complains that professional athletes get too much leniency when they break the law and get light sentences, yet when something like this happens, where an ordinary Joe Shmoe would get fired for not returning to work, let alone a Joe Shmoe with a poor work history, you defend him.

Ok...either you haven't read the other posts or you are turning a blind eye like the media normally do when it comes to the Bengals...

What is the bereavement policy at your work? If you went past the allotted time and were told to come back to work and you didn't, would you get fired?

Everyone complains that professional athletes get too much leniency when they break the law and get light sentences, yet when something like this happens, where an ordinary Joe Shmoe would get fired for not returning to work, let alone a Joe Shmoe with a poor work history, you defend him.

You seem to be forgetting that he doesn't HAVE to be at work right now. These are VOLUNTARY WORKOUTS. They can't release him for not coming to work because he DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THERE!! Do you get fired for not coming to work when you don't have to be?

If this is the reason they cut him, then they are irresponsible jackasses. If there was another reason, why not tell us so we don't think they're the idiots they are?

You seem to be forgetting that he doesn't HAVE to be at work right now. These are VOLUNTARY WORKOUTS. They can't release him for not coming to work because he DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THERE!! Do you get fired for not coming to work when you don't have to be?

If this is the reason they cut him, then they are irresponsible jackasses. If there was another reason, why not tell us so we don't think they're the idiots they are?

When you are a player that has been suspended for 2 years...AND you are coming back to a new position coach AND a new defensive coordinator...AND you know you have everything to prove AND everything to lose, there is no such thing as voluntary.

I guarantee when he got re-instated by the league and sat down to talk to Marvin and the rest of the front office, they told him he was on his last chance and that he needed to be working with the team as much as possible.

I myself have lost family members...even those close to me like my father. I know everyone reacts differently, BUT he got to spend the last 2 weeks of her life by her side, which is something that most people don't get a chance to do. That gave him quite a bit of time to come to grips with what was going to happen. Then he can't show up for work a week after her funeral? I'm just not buying it.

:rolleyes:

By the way even though they are considered "voluntary" they do still get paid to be there...

Yea right, because we all know Odell is gonna just pick up where he left off and doesn't need the OTA's.... Never mind the fact he hasn't played in 2 years... :rolleyes: They gave him every chance to come back and Odell screwed himself... If you wanna be pissed at someone be pissed at Odell for screwing the Bengals and the fans AGAIN!!!! Oh I forgot, it was never Odell's fault to begin with....It never is...

When you are a player that has been suspended for 2 years...AND you are coming back to a new position coach AND a new defensive coordinator...AND you know you have everything to prove AND everything to lose, there is no such thing as voluntary.

I guarantee when he got re-instated by the league and sat down to talk to Marvin and the rest of the front office, they told him he was on his last chance and that he needed to be working with the team as much as possible.

I myself have lost family members...even those close to me like my father. I know everyone reacts differently, BUT he got to spend the last 2 weeks of her life by her side, which is something that most people don't get a chance to do. That gave him quite a bit of time to come to grips with what was going to happen. Then he can't show up for work a week after her funeral? I'm just not buying it.

:rolleyes:

By the way even though they are considered "voluntary" they do still get paid to be there...

Well said!!! :sure:

The little news guy on Channel 12 sports, the same dude that does the radio broadcasts here in Cincy, stated that word is that more happened on the trip in Georgia than family business. While he wouldn't or couldn't say what may have happened, he did comment that we'd wait to see if Commissioner Roger Goodell took any action against Thurman.

I am a little sad, I'll admit to being excited by the possibility of a linebacking corp with Thurman, Brooks, and Rivers, thats alot of talent. That all being said, I believe he showed up out of shape, he didn't put the work in at Rookie camp and the team just moved on.

Good luck Odell, I hope you can get your life back on track.

As for the Bengals, Marvin still has my trust and there is no way Mike Brown cut a guy simply for missing OTAs, you do realize that Brown is one of the more loyal and compassionate owners in the NFL, just look into all the second chances they gave to Stanley Wilson, Chris Henry, Lewis Billips, Odell Thurman, et al.

Untill more is unveiled, this is complete and utter BS. If they fired him for missing VWO to be at the side of his family then thats just straight garbage. I was more an NFL fan then a Bengals fan before Thurman entered the league, the Bengals continue to ease me back to being just an NFL fan. I hope he gets picked up by Baltimore and i hope he ends up being the next Ray Lewis so we can see twice a year how retarded we are.

To where ever you go, take it easy 51.

What are you going to believe? Number 1, Marvin and Mike Brown are a$$holes that show no sympathy to a guy on bereavement OR number 2,

Odell fukked up in the last couple weeks?

My money is sitting on 2.

The story will get out though and watch if he clears waivers or not. If it is number 2, then no team will take him. If its number 1, he'll not get by waivers.

My thought exactly. He WAS a monster in '05 but after being gone 2 yrs you gotta wonder what kinda shape is he in.

Good riddance to Odell Thurman. The dumbass blew it pure and simple. He was coming off a two-year substance abuse suspension, his career(if not over)was hanging by a thread, and his response to this last chance was to quit on the team. And quitting is what he did. The official release of Thurman was only a formality. This guy was a longshot for a roster spot, much less playing time. Logic would suggest that, like every other player fighting for a place on the team, Thurman would be present when the new defensive scheme was being installed by the new defensive co-ordinator. Or just show up for offseason team workouts to show that he was serious about the reclamation of his career. But I guess logic has no place in the mind of Odell Thurman. The team is not to blame for what happened to Odell Thurman. They stood by him for two years while he f**ked up. This spring they took him back. Unfortunately, what they got back was a Thurman no more stable and mature than the guy who chauffered Chris Henry's drunken adventures and got in fights at rural Georgia beer bashes. Too bad about his grandmother. I've lost all 4 of my grandparents, as well as my first child,my parents,and my little sister. When they died I was a working adult. My employers were very kind and sympathetic. But they, as well as everyone else who depended on me, expected and relied on me to handle my grief like a responsible adult. They didn't have to tell me what was expected. That's life. Thurman hasn't been able to handle life. For crying out loud, he has people counting on him, e.g. the woman in his life, his own kids. He had all the time he needed to be with his dying grandmother. He missed crucial work to attend her funeral. Apparently, that wasn't enough for Thurman. After everything he put the team through over the past two years he apparently still expected a child's measure of indulgence. Just like Chris Henry, Thurman couldn't be trusted to act like a man. Every guy worth his salt either knows or understands that he has to man up when things get tough and other people are counting on him. I'm sure we haven't heard the entire story behind the decision to release Thurman. But there can be no doubt that he has only himself to blame.