Thurman to be released? Merged

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hair, How long would you take off from work if your mother died? A week? Two weeks? No less than a week for me and I gaurantee my company would still have my back.

Really? Wow, I didnt know that McDonald's would give their Fry Cook's that much time off......

Oh crap!!! Dats funny!!!

Yes, I'm well aware that he was suspended for two years. If that's the reason we are cutting him, then we should have done it as soon as he was reinstated. But it's not the reason we cut him. We cut him because he took time off to be with his grandma while she was sick and then to attend her funeral. He hasn't come back yet, but apparently he's taking care of stuff relating to her estate and such. On top of that, he's not contractually required to be here right now. So, yes, this was a stupid move. I fail to understand how you and some others here think that football should be more important than family. It's sad.

... and you have made the assumption that that is exactly all he was doing. To believe Thurman was completely the victim here, you must believe that an admitted alcoholic, coming off a 2 year substance abuse suspension, truly needed nearly a month off to 'take care of things' related to his dying grandmother. On top of believing he needed and used all of this time for upright reasons, you must also ask how much is enough? Another 2 weeks? Another month? I just think if I was in his situation, I would find a way to correlate my new career opportunity with honoring my dear grandmother. In some twisted way, this how thing reminds me of the Seinfeld 'magic loogie'.

I haven't ASSUMED anything. It's what's written in every article I've read so far about his release. Like I said before, if there's another reason, come out with it. But it this is the reason they're sticking with I'm beyond disappointed.

I was disappointed last year when the Bengals cut Brian Simmons. He was a good guy, had good character, was real nice to his fans and played his heart out on every single play. The Bengals decided that, despite everything Simmons had given to the team, he was no longer needed. If we want to start moralizing the NFL, the Simmons cut gets my sympathies ten times more than a guy like Thurman.

As has been pointed out here before on this thread, most of us have jobs where we could take a day or two off to bereave a mother, grandmother, child or spouse, but if we haven't returned after a certain point, we're going to either lose those jobs or, at the least, be forced to take the time off without pay. Even if they solely cut Thurman because they felt he was dicking around with his return from the funeral, et cetera, that is their decision.

If you find yourself beyond disappointed because of a personnel decision by an NFL team, expecially towards a player that really hasn't proven he's deserving of the benefit of the doubt, I'm not sure how you can enjoy the experience of being an NFL fan, or professional sports fan for that matter.

You know, it amazes me that no one here seems to realize that releasing Thurman for not being at VOLUNTARY workouts is against the rules of the CBA. I could understand their point better if Thurman's grandma had not just passed away. I understand that MOST people have three days bereavement. That's what I get. But most people on this board also don't get 6 months a year off. From January to June, NFL players don't have to report for anything.

Now, if I'm Odell Thurman, and my grandma just died, and I KNOW that it's against the rules for them to cut me for not being at VOLUNTARY workouts, I would take the extra time as well. Many of you think he has an obligation to come back right away because he's been out for so long and you're entitled to your opinion, but unless there's something else that happened here, I believe the Bengals made a mistake.

Again, if something else DID happen, and the Bengals assumed he would be getting suspended again, I don't understand why the Bengals don't just say it.

It amazes me you are still clueless or you don't comprehend ... You're right we all stupid and it never dawned on anyone but yourself that you can't release a player for missing VOLUNTARIES..... Shouldn't that tell you something else was wrong??? Hello, is anybody home?? B)

I'm clueless? Maybe it's YOU who are stupid. If something else was wrong, the Bengals would say it. They made no qualms about saying why they released Henry. So why would they lie about why they release Thurman? Maybe YOU should check to see if your lights are on at home.

You know that doesn't even dignify a response... They gave a reason, he wasn't doing what he needded to be doing to make the team so they cut him.. How much dumber can someone dumb that down for you??

Hair, How long would you take off from work if your mother died? A week? Two weeks? No less than a week for me and I gaurantee my company would still have my back.

Really? Wow, I didnt know that McDonald's would give their Fry Cook's that much time off......

Oh crap!!! Dats funny!!!

Yeah, I about peed myself.

Yes, I'm well aware that he was suspended for two years. If that's the reason we are cutting him, then we should have done it as soon as he was reinstated. But it's not the reason we cut him. We cut him because he took time off to be with his grandma while she was sick and then to attend her funeral. He hasn't come back yet, but apparently he's taking care of stuff relating to her estate and such. On top of that, he's not contractually required to be here right now. So, yes, this was a stupid move. I fail to understand how you and some others here think that football should be more important than family. It's sad.

... and you have made the assumption that that is exactly all he was doing. To believe Thurman was completely the victim here, you must believe that an admitted alcoholic, coming off a 2 year substance abuse suspension, truly needed nearly a month off to 'take care of things' related to his dying grandmother. On top of believing he needed and used all of this time for upright reasons, you must also ask how much is enough? Another 2 weeks? Another month? I just think if I was in his situation, I would find a way to correlate my new career opportunity with honoring my dear grandmother. In some twisted way, this how thing reminds me of the Seinfeld 'magic loogie'.

I haven't ASSUMED anything. It's what's written in every article I've read so far about his release. Like I said before, if there's another reason, come out with it. But it this is the reason they're sticking with I'm beyond disappointed.

I was disappointed last year when the Bengals cut Brian Simmons. He was a good guy, had good character, was real nice to his fans and played his heart out on every single play. The Bengals decided that, despite everything Simmons had given to the team, he was no longer needed. If we want to start moralizing the NFL, the Simmons cut gets my sympathies ten times more than a guy like Thurman.

As has been pointed out here before on this thread, most of us have jobs where we could take a day or two off to bereave a mother, grandmother, child or spouse, but if we haven't returned after a certain point, we're going to either lose those jobs or, at the least, be forced to take the time off without pay. Even if they solely cut Thurman because they felt he was dicking around with his return from the funeral, et cetera, that is their decision.

If you find yourself beyond disappointed because of a personnel decision by an NFL team, expecially towards a player that really hasn't proven he's deserving of the benefit of the doubt, I'm not sure how you can enjoy the experience of being an NFL fan, or professional sports fan for that matter.

You know, it amazes me that no one here seems to realize that releasing Thurman for not being at VOLUNTARY workouts is against the rules of the CBA. I could understand their point better if Thurman's grandma had not just passed away. I understand that MOST people have three days bereavement. That's what I get. But most people on this board also don't get 6 months a year off. From January to June, NFL players don't have to report for anything.

Now, if I'm Odell Thurman, and my grandma just died, and I KNOW that it's against the rules for them to cut me for not being at VOLUNTARY workouts, I would take the extra time as well. Many of you think he has an obligation to come back right away because he's been out for so long and you're entitled to your opinion, but unless there's something else that happened here, I believe the Bengals made a mistake.

Again, if something else DID happen, and the Bengals assumed he would be getting suspended again, I don't understand why the Bengals don't just say it.

It amazes me you are still clueless or you don't comprehend ... You're right we all stupid and it never dawned on anyone but yourself that you can't release a player for missing VOLUNTARIES..... Shouldn't that tell you something else was wrong??? Hello, is anybody home?? B)

I'm clueless? Maybe it's YOU who are stupid. If something else was wrong, the Bengals would say it. They made no qualms about saying why they released Henry. So why would they lie about why they release Thurman? Maybe YOU should check to see if your lights are on at home.

You know that doesn't even dignify a response... They gave a reason, he wasn't doing what he needded to be doing to make the team so they cut him.. How much dumber can someone dumb that down for you??

Speaking of dumb, you just told me that my comment didn't dignify a response, then gave one anyway.

Henry's release was due to legal reasons, which the Bengals could comment on...in the NFL substance abuse policy, players are afforded rights of privacy, THUS this is probably why the Bengals didn't give another reason for Thurman's release. SO, maybe you should learn all the facts before you start calling someone stupid.

;)

Do you know for a FACT that that's why he was released? No, you don't. And neither does she. All I know is the reason given, and that's all I can go by. I still don't agree with it no matter what you guys speculate the reason is. You guys can claim all day that he's back on drugs or drinking again, but those are just guesses to the "real" reason he was released. Bottom line is, Thurman was cut for not being in the building enough in the last month since he's been reinstated at a time that he's not required to be there. During that time he was with his dying grandmother and then attending her funeral and then to legal matters after her death. Many of you question his commitment. You tell me given those two options where you would be. With your dying grandmother or with the team.

You guys are entitled to your opinions, but don't tell me I'm clueless because I don't agree with the move. THAT is stupid.

Bengalpimp you continue to prove your only 13.

Gee, I figured in Canada that was comedy gold. :lol::lol:

Then he's the funniest 13 year old ever!! :lmao:

Then he's the funniest 13 year old ever!! :lmao:

Hes not funny, you just have a ridiculous sense of humor

Dude are you five? fifteen? Get a life and come talk to me when you know what it feels like to be self-made instead of living of your mommy and daddy.... Come talk to me when you got money stacked in the bank and own a home and three cars at the age of 23, like myself. Come talk to me when you can afford to work two jobs so that your fiance can stay at home and take care of your baby while getting a degree in college. That's me, that's who I am. Who the f**k are you little bitch?... You don't have a clue about me homey.

Henry's release was due to legal reasons, which the Bengals could comment on...in the NFL substance abuse policy, players are afforded rights of privacy, THUS this is probably why the Bengals didn't give another reason for Thurman's release. SO, maybe you should learn all the facts before you start calling someone stupid.

;)

Do you know for a FACT that that's why he was released? No, you don't. And neither does she. All I know is the reason given, and that's all I can go by. I still don't agree with it no matter what you guys speculate the reason is. You guys can claim all day that he's back on drugs or drinking again, but those are just guesses to the "real" reason he was released. Bottom line is, Thurman was cut for not being in the building enough in the last month since he's been reinstated at a time that he's not required to be there. During that time he was with his dying grandmother and then attending her funeral and then to legal matters after her death. Many of you question his commitment. You tell me given those two options where you would be. With your dying grandmother or with the team.

You guys are entitled to your opinions, but don't tell me I'm clueless because I don't agree with the move. THAT is stupid.

Very good way to explain yourself. +1 pt over the other guys.

Dude are you five? fifteen? Get a life and come talk to me when you know what it feels like to be self-made instead of living of your mommy and daddy.... Come talk to me when you got money stacked in the bank and own a home and three cars at the age of 23, like myself. Come talk to me when you can afford to work two jobs so that your fiance can stay at home and take care of your baby while getting a degree in college. That's me, that's who I am. Who the f**k are you little bitch?... You don't have a clue about me homey.

You know what? I don't know you either. Maybe you're 23 and have all those things, whatever. I don't really care. You start whipping out the gangsta'/hood type talk because someone cracked a harmless, semi-clever, yet juvenile shot at you, I'll let you know--you ain't impressing anyone, homey. Use some of that money to buy 1) some class and 2) a sense of humor.

You know what? I don't know you either. Maybe you're 23 and have all those things, whatever. I don't really care. You start whipping out the gangsta'/hood type talk because someone cracked a harmless, semi-clever, yet juvenile shot at you, I'll let you know--you ain't impressing anyone, homey. Use some of that money to buy 1) some class and 2) a sense of humor.

Whatever dude. This isn't about me, it's about Odell Thurman and a stupid owner... I'm not claiming to be rich, I'm happy and I feel blessed. I'm just living the American dream. After all I've been through and the struggles that I face everyday, to have some little punk take a crack at me like that, without knowing a thing about me, pisses me off. Sorry.... And I'm not a gangsta either but I will pimp slap BengalPimp (there's my sense of humor).

Whatever dude. This isn't about me, it's about Odell Thurman and a stupid owner... I'm not claiming to be rich, I'm happy and I feel blessed. I'm just living the American dream. After all I've been through and the struggles that I face everyday, to have some little punk take a crack at me like that, without knowing a thing about me, pisses me off. Sorry.... And I'm not a gangsta either but I will pimp slap BengalPimp (there's my sense of humor).

Your sense of humor is lacking, maybe with time, and some luck, you will grow up and see that senseless name calling on the computer is juvenile at best.

And I hate to break something to you, and perhaps your lack of appreciation for this fact is due in part to your age, but you're not the only one in the world that has been through stuff and has struggles. If you took that harmless crack as a 'dis', there are probably other issues you need to look at.

And I hate to break something to you, and perhaps your lack of appreciation for this fact is due in part to your age, but you're not the only one in the world that has been through stuff and has struggles. If you took that harmless crack as a 'dis', there are probably other issues you need to look at.

For the record, I'm 25 and have probably accomplished more than most people twice my age... I'm not as stupid as I lead to believe.

For the record, I'm 25 and have probably accomplished more than most people twice my age... I'm not as stupid as I lead to believe.

I stand corrected. I misunderstood your age based on the original post. I also genuinely appreciate you are not as stupid as you appear.

Wow, you are the most amazing person in the world!!! Look fellas, he's got a house and 3 cars!! Not 1, not 2, but 3!!! How do you do it??? :wacko:

Hey Mods and Site Staff! Would one of you close this idiotic thread and bury it someplace far away where no one can ever find it?!

I feel dumber for having read it.

Closed. It went far off course. As with Odell, it's time to move on.