Thurman to be released? Merged

Yes, I'm well aware that he was suspended for two years. If that's the reason we are cutting him, then we should have done it as soon as he was reinstated. But it's not the reason we cut him. We cut him because he took time off to be with his grandma while she was sick and then to attend her funeral. He hasn't come back yet, but apparently he's taking care of stuff relating to her estate and such. On top of that, he's not contractually required to be here right now. So, yes, this was a stupid move. I fail to understand how you and some others here think that football should be more important than family. It's sad.

... and you have made the assumption that that is exactly all he was doing. To believe Thurman was completely the victim here, you must believe that an admitted alcoholic, coming off a 2 year substance abuse suspension, truly needed nearly a month off to 'take care of things' related to his dying grandmother. On top of believing he needed and used all of this time for upright reasons, you must also ask how much is enough? Another 2 weeks? Another month? I just think if I was in his situation, I would find a way to correlate my new career opportunity with honoring my dear grandmother. In some twisted way, this how thing reminds me of the Seinfeld 'magic loogie'.

I haven't ASSUMED anything. It's what's written in every article I've read so far about his release. Like I said before, if there's another reason, come out with it. But it this is the reason they're sticking with I'm beyond disappointed.

I was disappointed last year when the Bengals cut Brian Simmons. He was a good guy, had good character, was real nice to his fans and played his heart out on every single play. The Bengals decided that, despite everything Simmons had given to the team, he was no longer needed. If we want to start moralizing the NFL, the Simmons cut gets my sympathies ten times more than a guy like Thurman.

As has been pointed out here before on this thread, most of us have jobs where we could take a day or two off to bereave a mother, grandmother, child or spouse, but if we haven't returned after a certain point, we're going to either lose those jobs or, at the least, be forced to take the time off without pay. Even if they solely cut Thurman because they felt he was dicking around with his return from the funeral, et cetera, that is their decision.

If you find yourself beyond disappointed because of a personnel decision by an NFL team, expecially towards a player that really hasn't proven he's deserving of the benefit of the doubt, I'm not sure how you can enjoy the experience of being an NFL fan, or professional sports fan for that matter.

You know, it amazes me that no one here seems to realize that releasing Thurman for not being at VOLUNTARY workouts is against the rules of the CBA. I could understand their point better if Thurman's grandma had not just passed away. I understand that MOST people have three days bereavement. That's what I get. But most people on this board also don't get 6 months a year off. From January to June, NFL players don't have to report for anything.

Now, if I'm Odell Thurman, and my grandma just died, and I KNOW that it's against the rules for them to cut me for not being at VOLUNTARY workouts, I would take the extra time as well. Many of you think he has an obligation to come back right away because he's been out for so long and you're entitled to your opinion, but unless there's something else that happened here, I believe the Bengals made a mistake.

Again, if something else DID happen, and the Bengals assumed he would be getting suspended again, I don't understand why the Bengals don't just say it.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was walking on thin ice and he screwed it up. He is one of the dumbest guys I've heard of. He is clearly out of shape just by looking at his huge gut sticking out of his shirt and he wasn't doing the work he needed to get trim down and get back into playing shape. He wasn't taking advantage of his second chance and then he misses a week instead of the typical 3 days every other american worker misses. I feel bad for him in a way but he deserved to get s**t-canned.

Any pictures of said huge gut?

Yes, I'm well aware that he was suspended for two years. If that's the reason we are cutting him, then we should have done it as soon as he was reinstated. But it's not the reason we cut him. We cut him because he took time off to be with his grandma while she was sick and then to attend her funeral. He hasn't come back yet, but apparently he's taking care of stuff relating to her estate and such. On top of that, he's not contractually required to be here right now. So, yes, this was a stupid move. I fail to understand how you and some others here think that football should be more important than family. It's sad.

... and you have made the assumption that that is exactly all he was doing. To believe Thurman was completely the victim here, you must believe that an admitted alcoholic, coming off a 2 year substance abuse suspension, truly needed nearly a month off to 'take care of things' related to his dying grandmother. On top of believing he needed and used all of this time for upright reasons, you must also ask how much is enough? Another 2 weeks? Another month? I just think if I was in his situation, I would find a way to correlate my new career opportunity with honoring my dear grandmother. In some twisted way, this how thing reminds me of the Seinfeld 'magic loogie'.

I haven't ASSUMED anything. It's what's written in every article I've read so far about his release. Like I said before, if there's another reason, come out with it. But it this is the reason they're sticking with I'm beyond disappointed.

I was disappointed last year when the Bengals cut Brian Simmons. He was a good guy, had good character, was real nice to his fans and played his heart out on every single play. The Bengals decided that, despite everything Simmons had given to the team, he was no longer needed. If we want to start moralizing the NFL, the Simmons cut gets my sympathies ten times more than a guy like Thurman.

As has been pointed out here before on this thread, most of us have jobs where we could take a day or two off to bereave a mother, grandmother, child or spouse, but if we haven't returned after a certain point, we're going to either lose those jobs or, at the least, be forced to take the time off without pay. Even if they solely cut Thurman because they felt he was dicking around with his return from the funeral, et cetera, that is their decision.

If you find yourself beyond disappointed because of a personnel decision by an NFL team, expecially towards a player that really hasn't proven he's deserving of the benefit of the doubt, I'm not sure how you can enjoy the experience of being an NFL fan, or professional sports fan for that matter.

You know, it amazes me that no one here seems to realize that releasing Thurman for not being at VOLUNTARY workouts is against the rules of the CBA. I could understand their point better if Thurman's grandma had not just passed away. I understand that MOST people have three days bereavement. That's what I get. But most people on this board also don't get 6 months a year off. From January to June, NFL players don't have to report for anything.

Now, if I'm Odell Thurman, and my grandma just died, and I KNOW that it's against the rules for them to cut me for not being at VOLUNTARY workouts, I would take the extra time as well. Many of you think he has an obligation to come back right away because he's been out for so long and you're entitled to your opinion, but unless there's something else that happened here, I believe the Bengals made a mistake.

Again, if something else DID happen, and the Bengals assumed he would be getting suspended again, I don't understand why the Bengals don't just say it.

If you suspect the Bengals violated the soon-to-be-dead CBA, I have no doubt the Players Association will squawk and appeal this. If we don't hear a peep out of them, and so far I haven't, should, again, make you wonder.

Also, again, maybe the Bengals CAN'T say what happened, due to league rules/Odell's due process, whatever. I'm taking it for what it is, hoping both parties can move on and allowing everything to play out before making my mind up ultimately.

Chill, man, it'll be ok. :sure:

I hate to say this, but look for Odell to end up in prison some time soon.

The guy has no parents, just lost his grandmother, and THE ONLY PEOPLE HE HAD LEFT THAT TRIED TO HELP HIM GET HIS LIFE TOGETHER(The Bengals),

he pissed that opportunity away. Sad to say....but the guy has NOBODY to keep him straight now.

Hoping the dude turns his life around, I realistically don't see that happening now that the only support he had left(Bengals) have cut their ties with him.

Good Luck Odell......oh yeah, don't drop the soap.

Dude your sick... Odell's a monster, he'll get another oppurtunity. I'd love to see him go to another AFC North team and smack our franchise QB in the mouth.

The guy has no parents, just lost his grandmother, and THE ONLY PEOPLE HE HAD LEFT THAT TRIED TO HELP HIM GET HIS LIFE TOGETHER(The Bengals),

he pissed that opportunity away. Sad to say....but the guy has NOBODY to keep him straight now.

Hoping the dude turns his life around, I realistically don't see that happening now that the only support he had left(Bengals) have cut their ties with him.

Dude your sick... Odell's a monster, he'll get another oppurtunity. I'd love to see him go to another AFC North team and smack our franchise QB in the mouth.

You'd love to see a player for another team smack Carson Palmer in the mouth? Why are you still on a message board for Bengal's fans? What's next? Saying Carson is a bitch and probably deserves it followed by a smiley face to mean it sarcastically? Do all of us a favor and find another team to cheer for ok? :rolleyes:

Do you realize he was cut because he put in minimal effort since re-instatement? For any pro player, that will get you cut.

The only monster in Odell is self destructive behavior. He's a breath away from being done in the NFL.

....and you've got the audacity to call THIS guy sick.

I mean, seriously, do you even attempt to consider what you type sometimes?

*shrug*

Agreen wanting our superstar QB to be hurt is par for the course.

... because our primary player getting hurt by the player we released would really show 'em! That would really show everyone how dumb the organization is! Oh wait, but then our team would be less our key player, and Palmer would personally be in a state of potential career-ending. Oops. Nice thoughts there greeny. Ugh.

It amazes me you are still clueless or you don't comprehend ... You're right we all stupid and it never dawned on anyone but yourself that you can't release a player for missing VOLUNTARIES..... Shouldn't that tell you something else was wrong??? Hello, is anybody home?? B)

The AP story on Thurman's release had a clue. Here's the link

http://www.adelphia.net/news/read.php?id=1...ps=&lang=en

Most specifically, the story quotes Odell's agent, who was quoting Marvin on why they are letting Odell go,

"I was just told by coach (Marvin) Lewis that he hadn't been in the building enough since his reinstatement, and they decided to go in a different direction," Lawson said.

That statement seems to indicate that it wasn't just the refusal to show up for OTAs. He was apparently not working out enough since his reinstatement. And with a new DC, new linebackers coach, and installation of a new defense underway, I don't blame them for cutting him. Enough's enough.

Lol. Smacked in the mouth somehow translates to wishing a career-ending injury to our QB1 only on the zone... You're right though duus, it would show everyone how dumb the organization is. Wait.. Nevermind. Everyone already knows how dumb our organization is.. Silly me.

Marvin I'm affraid has lost this team and he's attemping to re-establish himself as the leader. I hope it works out for him. Let's win NOW!

We went from a 15 year skid, to playoff contention for one year, and then right back to re-building. Re-building teams don't win NOW, they win in 2-3 years... Hopefully.

I've tried to stay as optimistic as possible but this (releasing Odell) just blows me away. It's not about Odell's minimal effort since re-instatement, it's about money. With Mikey, its always about the money... All Mikey has to do is pay Chad and that fiasco is over. Offer TJ something worth-while, I think he deserves it. Pay some coaches Mikey and we would have never lost Dillon, Pickens, Spikes ect. Levi wants out now. Deltha hasn't been happy for a couple years. Its just a matter of time before Jumpy gets pissed. Rivers will probably holdout, which will put us even further behind. Why in the f**k we keep and old-timer like Willie and let go of Steinbach I'll never understand... This organization just keeps getting dumber.

You're right though duus, it would show everyone how dumb the organization is. Wait.. Nevermind. Everyone already knows how dumb our organization is.. Silly me.

And that's really the point. I think most everyone DOES KNOW how stupid they can be. This Thurman release may or may not give that fact further foundation ... and considering the possibility of our star QB getting punched/hit/hurt/whatever you want to call it does not add foundation either. Is what it is. Regardless, I want to see Carson untouched and throwing TDs ... and need not consider otherwise just to prove how stupid our favorite team's ownership is.

The AP story on Thurman's release had a clue. Here's the link

http://www.adelphia.net/news/read.php?id=1...ps=&lang=en

Most specifically, the story quotes Odell's agent, who was quoting Marvin on why they are letting Odell go,

"I was just told by coach (Marvin) Lewis that he hadn't been in the building enough since his reinstatement, and they decided to go in a different direction," Lawson said.

That statement seems to indicate that it wasn't just the refusal to show up for OTAs. He was apparently not working out enough since his reinstatement. And with a new DC, new linebackers coach, and installation of a new defense underway, I don't blame them for cutting him. Enough's enough.

Nice find.

Marvin had to break it to Odell's agent... OK. What is Marvin's boss telling him? I think this is a move by Mike Brown for apparent reasons.

This move is very upsetting after all Odell has been through.

agreen, I really do not intend to 'pick on' your comments ... really. But ... what about 'after all' the Bengals have been through with his actions? What about 'after all' the league has been through with his actions? What about the fans? I get it ... Odell is likely sick ... perhaps tragically sick. But I in the category that believes strongly in owning up to your personal actions.

agreen, I really do not intend to 'pick on' your comments ... really. But ... what about 'after all' the Bengals have been through with his actions? What about 'after all' the league has been through with his actions? What about the fans? I get it ... Odell is likely sick ... perhaps tragically sick. But I in the category that believes strongly in owning up to your personal actions.

Your absolutely right. But does that mean you turn your back on him? What if it were your son? There are people out there with this type of problem... His agent says he's on the right track; He's working out, passing every single drug test, ect, ect, ect. Isn't he worth one last chance after everything he's been through? Sure he has hurt the team and let us fans down. But we all love the comeback story. At least bring him to freaking CAMP! If he doesn't work out by then, then you go ahead and release him... NO. The Bengals do the dick move and cut him when he's out of town, back at home attending to his family who is mourning the loss of their grandma, probably the backbone of his family. It just doesn't add up. There's no way this is because of a lack of effort since re-instatement.

Your absolutely right. But does that mean you turn your back on him? What if it were your son? There are people out there with this type of problem... His agent says he's on the right track; He's working out, passing every single drug test, ect, ect, ect. Isn't he worth one last chance after everything he's been through? Sure he has hurt the team and let us fans down. But we all love the comeback story. At least bring him to freaking CAMP! If he doesn't work out by then, then you go ahead and release him... NO. The Bengals do the dick move and cut him when he's out of town, back at home attending to his family who is mourning the loss of their grandma, probably the backbone of his family. It just doesn't add up. There's no way this is because of a lack of effort since re-instatement.

This isn't a family...it's a business. There are fifty-three spots on this team. He's not the Bengals' 'son', he's one of those fifty-three spots. If he is clearly not ready to go, and showing no indication he will be ready by camp, why would you keep him? Because the Bengals 'owe him'? Because it's 'morally right'? Gimme a freaking break. If I start slipping at my job and costing my employers and being unavailable when I'm needed, how long you think it is before they 'cut' me? Whether it's because I'm on alcohol, drugs, grandma died, or 'just depressed', my butt's getting fired. Is it a dick move to you? Maybe. Does my boss care? No. Would your boss care? No. The Bengals are not, and shouldn't be, any different.

I just can't believe this. We are talking about an NFL team in a cut-throat sport and people are on here talking about the Bengals turning their back on some guy that has been unavailable, by his own faults, for two years and isn't overly anxious to get back to work. It sounds like he enjoyed his vacation and letting himself going to pot and not caring about working hard at football. Congrats, Odell, you can do that all you want now. I'm glad he won't even be at camp because camp is for guys there who care about winning and underdogs that care about winning spots on the team.

Same. I also would still enjoy seeing it, no matter where Odell plays ill be rooting for him, this franchise is stupid for holding on to him for so long then kicking him out now after his grandmother(pretty much his mom) dies during Voluntary camp. If something comes up like he was doing s**t other then being with his family then maybe MAYBE they had some reasoning behind it, but if he does end up getting picked up and turns into the pro-bowl player he was destined to be ill be laughing.

edit: as much as i love Odell, and he was my favorite linebacker in the league, I still love the Bengals(i don't no why, im not even from Cincy :P) But hopefully they can turn this organization like my b-ball team has done.

Celtics700.jpg

You'd love to see a player for another team smack Carson Palmer in the mouth? Why are you still on a message board for Bengal's fans? What's next? Saying Carson is a bitch and probably deserves it followed by a smiley face to mean it sarcastically? Do all of us a favor and find another team to cheer for ok? :rolleyes:

Yeah

Do you realize he was cut because he put in minimal effort since re-instatement? For any pro player, that will get you cut.

The only monster in Odell is self destructive behavior. He's a breath away from being done in the NFL.

Yeah

....and you've got the audacity to call THIS guy sick.

I mean, seriously, do you even attempt to consider what you type sometimes?

Yeah

Your absolutely right. But does that mean you turn your back on him? What if it were your son?

I'm sorry, but when exactly did they turn their back on him? After he missed his scheduled drug testing? NO. After he was suspended 4 games for it? NO

After he was arrested for a DUI with 2 other Bengals(McNeal and Henry) in the car? NO. After he was suspended for the rest of the season? NO

After he was not reinstated the following year? NO.

After he was finally reinstated and he FAILED to show the team he was dedicated to playing hard and doing everything he could to get back on the field? Yes

...I dont know how you can say they "turned their back" on him, since he has repeatedly stabbed them in the back for their loyalty to him.

By the way, it was the Bengals gave him all the tools to succeed, including Psychiatric and Drug counseling that he never fully took advantage of.

His agent says he's on the right track; He's working out, passing every single drug test, ect, ect, ect.

Oh, forgive us all for not believing his AGENT.....The same agent who gets PAID from Odell's contract...hence...no play=no pay.

What the hell do you think his agent is going to say? Its in his agents' best interest financially for Odell to play....Dude You Dont Trust Agents!

By the way, its ETC. (Et Cetera from Latin meaning "and other things") not ECT.