Thurman to be released? Merged

Sounds like a no-win situation for the Bengals.
That is it in a nutshell... First we are accused of being so damn loyal because we keep Henry and Odell and hope they change their ways... They don't and now we are cold hearted sunza-beetches... It all cracks me up...

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever since he missed his drug screening following his rookie season, and gave some lame excuse that he overslept, and his cell phone was disconnected because of some drama his his ex, then with his ensuing arrest for a DUI only a week before he was to be re-instated, his passion and desire to play the game has been very questionable.

The team made efforts to contact him and request his attendance, but obviously he didn't want to....IF HE TRULY NEEDED MORE TIME< BUT GAVE THE BENGALS ALL THE REASONS WHY, I TRULY BELIEVE THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE SYMPATHETIC, BUT HE PROBABLY JUST GAVE THEM SOME MORE B.S. EXCUSES. He was there for his grandmother while she was ailing, leading up to her passing. Apparently her funeral was on the 12th, almost a week and a half ago, and he still apparently had no plans to rejoin the team any time soon. NO FLIGHT PLANS, NO TIMEFRAME.....AND NOW, NO JOB.

What happened sucks for sure, but if he had better communication with the team, and AT LEAST SHOWED SOME DESIRE, he wouldnt have been released.

He worked construction according to several reports.

I know a lot of construction guys, and to be brutally honest, that isn't a very good group of guys for a recovering alcoholic to be around.

Not to mention, working construction isnt exactly great for a LB's Knees and Back.

Well the local sports Caster Brad Johanssen just reported that Odell's agent said that 2 other NFL teams are already showing interest in him. I am guessing that haven't heard all the news regarding Odell and will soon change their minds when the full story comes out.

What are you going to believe? Number 1, Marvin and Mike Brown are a$$holes that show no sympathy to a guy on bereavement OR number 2,

Odell fukked up in the last couple weeks?

My money is sitting on 2.

My money is on 3: all of the above.

Let's face it, there's no reason to give Mikey or Marvin the benefit of the doubt here, either. After all, these are the same guys who drafted Thurman -- and Henry and Nicholson and on and on -- in the first place. They're the same guys who thought letting Steinbach walk and franchising Justin was a good personnel move. They're the same guys who thought signing Fat Sam and extending our 3,000,000-year-old RT was a good idea. In short, when it comes to personnel decisions we haven't exactly got Belichick & Pioli in the house.

All I know is that, no matter whose "fault" it is, we aren't a better team today than we were yesterday.

Well the local sports Caster Brad Johanssen just reported that Odell's agent said that 2 other NFL teams are already showing interest in him. I am guessing that haven't heard all the news regarding Odell and will soon change their minds when the full story comes out.

That's the guy that said it'd be interesting to see if Goodell was 'going to take action'.

I could see the Raiders and the Ravens checking him out.

He worked construction according to several reports.

I know a lot of construction guys, and to be brutally honest, that isn't a very good group of guys for a recovering alcoholic to be around.

I can verify that statement. And you think the experience would possibly clue him in to just how good he had it. I know drugs can make people do whacked out things (including alcohol dependence) - but if you're sober now what's the excuse?

Here is my guess as to the behind the scenes story:

Odell: My G-ma died coach.

Marvin: Sorry to hear that. When is the funeral?

Odell: May 12. I need to miss some OTA's.

Marvin: I understand. Its not a problem. Take care of your family. When will you be back?

Odell: I'll be back by May 16.

Marvin: Ok see you then.

May 16 by phone...

Marvin: Odell where are you?

Odell: Sorry coach. Got hung with some family issues. Ill be back tomorrow.

Marvin: Ok

May 17 by phone...

Marvin: Are you back in town? Want to make sure you will be there on Monday for OTA.

Odell: No coach, im not in town yet. I'm havin transportation issues. Sorry about this coach. I will be there on Monday for sure.

Marvin: Ok. Its very important that you're here.

May 19 by phone...

Marvin: Odell, where are you and why arent you here at OTA?

Odell: Sorry coach. I know i said i would be there but... I just couldnt make it.

Marvin (hangs up phone)

This is my take on what happened. You cant continue to rely on unreliable people. If you cant be relied on to be professional in the offseason, you cant be relied on when it 4th and 1 against the Squeelers in December.

Good move by the Bengals.

Has Odell actually been reinstated by the league? Or was he just given permission to work out with the team, pending reinstatement?

I can't remember. If he hasn't been reinstated, we may not be allowed to trade him.

Has Odell actually been reinstated by the league? Or was he just given permission to work out with the team, pending reinstatement?

I can't remember. If he hasn't been reinstated, we may not be allowed to trade him.

He was re-instated by the league, but we cant trade him BECAUSE WE CUT HIM. He had Zero trade value anyways.

All I know is that, no matter whose "fault" it is, we aren't a better team today than we were yesterday.

Maybe, but we arent any worse either, since the dude hasnt stepped foot on a field in 2 years.

Really? Have you checked our LB depth? Oh, wait, that's right, we don't have any. Heck even our starters fail to strike fear. I like Dhani Jones, but he isn't going to keep opposing d-coordinators up at night. Rivers has plenty of potential, but he's still a rookie. And with Brooks still on the mend, everyone's favorite converted CFL DE has to be pencilled in at SAM. And behind them we got what, some refugees from Arizona?

Bottom line: Sims and Shirley both better come on real f**king fast because our LB corps is in danger of becoming our LB "corpse" again.

He was re-instated by the league, but we cant trade him BECAUSE WE CUT HIM. He had Zero trade value anyways.

Really...what you think? MAYBE a seventh round pick next year from Oakland?

There is absolutely more to the story than this. Maybe Odell is dealing with some real serious issues outside of football, maybe due to the death of his grandmother. I remember Marvin talking so positive about him at the time of his reinstatement. Very, very sad for both Odell and the Bengals.

After dealing with the passing of his grandmother, who really thinks that Odell Thurman(a self admitted alchoholic) hasnt relapsed?

and probably not just alchohol, but a little :crack: as well.

Alright, I gotta ask. Where did you get that emoticon?

When you're typing in your comment, to the left you should see some emoticons, click "show all" and scroll down, you'll find it there.

Just a guess, but Odell is probably drinking again. If the Bengals say "we're firing him because he's an alcoholic who can't stop drinking", they likely get to join the NFL as a defendant in the EEOC lawsuit Odell, I believe, still has pending against the NFL.

Instead, they're firing him for not showing up for work. Pretty common for alcoholics.

We've all been screaming for years, wanting the Bengals to change.

Well, they're changing.

I find this as the most probable reason right here.