Marvin Harrison Shooting Thread

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3378829

Report: Harrison investigated in shooting outside bar

ESPN.com news services

Updated: May 2, 2008, 4:11 PM ET

Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Marvin Harrison is under investigation in his hometown of Philadelphia in a shooting that took place earlier this week, a source close to the investigation told Anthony Gargano of Philadelphia's WIP Radio.

The shooting reportedly occurred early Tuesday afternoon outside a North Philadelphia bar owned by Harrison.

Harrison has yet to be arrested or charged with the crime.

The source said the alleged victim came into the bar, Playmakers, around 5 p.m. and engaged in an argument with Harrison, who was at the bar. The victim then left the bar, heading to his car, with Harrison following. Gunfire broke out, the victim was hit in the hand, and a young girl was slightly injured by flying glass from a car that apparently was hit by a bullet.

Police came to scene, but the victim did not identify a shooter. On Wednesday, according to the source, ballistic tests showed that the gun that had fired the shots was a custom-made Belgian weapon, and police determined that Harrison owned such a gun.

Police then went to a Philadelphia car wash owned by Harrison to question him about the gun. Harrison admitted owning such a weapon, but claimed it never left his suburban Philadelphia home.

However, the source said the gun was discovered in a bucket at the car wash, and tests showed that it had fired seven bullets that matched those found at the scene.

The source said police were contacted Friday by an attorney representing a second alleged victim in the shooting, and police are now waiting for that individual to come forward.

Calls from ESPN to reach Harrison, his agent and the Colts for comment had not been returned.

:o :o :o :o :o

The shet has hit the fan for harrison.

NOT THE FIRST PROBLEM FOR MARVIN

Posted by Mike Florio on May 2, 2008, 5:18 p.m.

We’ve been reminded in the wake of the news that Colts receiver Marvin Harrison is under investigation for firing seven shots outside his North Philly bar earlier this week that Harrison previously has been the target of allegations reflecting behavior far different from what his image would suggest.

Three years ago, Harrison was sued for “violently and physically attack[ing]” three boys who were seeking his autograph a day before the Pro Bowl in Hawaii.

Harrison allegedly put one of the boys in a choke hold.

There were never any further reports about the lawsuit, which suggests to us that it was quietly settled for a confidential payment.

YET ANOTHER HARRISON INCIDENT

Posted by Mike Florio on May 2, 2008, 5:41 p.m.

Maybe we haven’t been paying close enough attention to Marvin Harrison over the years.

Because this week’s shooting potentially involving Harrison wasn’t his first incident. Or his second.

It’s his third.

Granted, the five-year-old incident involving Harrison is a far cry from a shooting. But it’s further evidence that maybe Marvin isn’t the great guy that we’ve been led to believe he is.

In 2003, Harrison allegedly knocked a Jets’ ball boy to the ground because Jets punter Matt Turk was kicking balls in the direction of Harrison and quarterback Peyton Manning prior to a game.

Jets radio analyst Marty Lyons reported at the time that Harrison also put his hands on the boy’s neck before the two were separated.

The Jets confirmed that there was an incident, and the league said it was aware of it. But that was the end of it.

Oi O_o

What is wrong with these football players here lately

Nothing that hasn't happen time and time again over the years. Football is a sport played by violent men. Get used to it.

If you want to pursue a sport without violent altercations by the players, give golf a shot. Last I checked Tiger Woods has never broken any laws.

What is wrong with these football players here lately

Nothing that hasn't happen time and time again over the years. Football is a sport played by violent men. Get used to it.

If you want to pursue a sport without violent altercations by the players, give golf a shot. Last I checked Tiger Woods has never broken any laws.

So true.

Maybe he should call M. Lewis. He clearly has the character the Bengals Franchise is looking for.

Troll

Troll

Yes because stating a fact makes one a troll, right? Gimme a break and grow a brain.

Keep it cool guys. We're only talking about a Colts player in trouble. Nothing more...for once. :rolleyes:

Hey guys check out www.forum.colts.com Most of the crap ESPN was spewing was false. the bar fight and the shooting had nothing to do with each other. This is a Phili a**h*** trying to become famous

Ya' got a hyperlink for us here please? :blink:

Better source:

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_updat...y_shooting.html

Hardly seems like some a**hole trying to get famous considering he initially lied about where he was shot and has still declined to say who fired on him. Only thing that looks like bull is the bit about the gun being found in a bucket; Harrison turned it over.

Police came to scene, but the victim did not identify a shooter. On Wednesday, according to the source, ballistic tests showed that the gun that had fired the shots was a custom-made Belgian weapon, and police determined that Harrison owned such a gun.

Custom made my ass. The Belgian weapon in question was a 9mm Browning Hi-Power automatic pistol.

browninghipwr090401.jpg

I've owned many of these single action autos. Great sidearms.

Thats still not a custom gun, just rare due to its unique caliber. He is one of the few that can afford the ammo bill to shoot it regularly. I think if i was carrying for self defense, i would carry something with a little more punch than the 5.7mm. Its like stabbing someone with an ice pick, little itty bitty holes with little transfered energy to the target. Billy's Hi power with efmj's or hydra shocks is a much better choice, and its a lot cheaper than the 5 and 7.

Mike Green

Waynesville Ohio

Marvin Harrison is going to get lit up by the NFL for this shooting thing. ESPN reported this morning the bullets matched his gun.

Oh, wait...he's not a Bengal. He'll skate. :rolleyes:

Somehow, some way the media will manage to throw the "Bengals" in this story somehow.... Probably how the league is cracking down and we recently release the poster child.. Yet we don't come close to leading the league in police blotters...

Marvin Harrison is going to get lit up by the NFL for this shooting thing. ESPN reported this morning the bullets matched his gun.

He'll get benefit of the doubt because I don't believe he has a prior violent offense that led to a conviction, he's not in the drug program (to my knowledge), etc. That's actually a rule, if I recall - the NFL waits for things to play out before suspending somebody if they don't have priors. So don't expect the NFL to blow Marvin up short term.

Long term...he'll have some serious odds against him. His gun fired the shots. He was witnessed in an altercation with the guy who got shot.

Initially, the Harrison camp seemed to be in full-blown denial mode, but it looks like they're setting up a self-defense claim. It looks like it would be an uphill fight to fight the notion that Harrison pulled the trigger, since it was his gun and no one else seems to have had access to it. But the guy who got shot has harassed Harrison before, and how Harrison's defense team looks like they're claiming it was intended to be a hit. Seems dubious to me, but it could spawn reaonable doubt.

Long story short, the league won't immediately come down on Harrison, nor should they.

Long story short, the league won't immediately come down on Harrison, nor should they.

Perhaps they shouldn't based on the current way the rules are stated, but those rules need to be changed to account for the actual firing of a gun at someone. Thurman can sit for substance abuse issues, any player that fires a gun at another human being, barring legit self-defense, should be on the shelf, regardless of history.

Having said that, in seriousness, the circumstances here are not totally known at this time and I don't advocate the NFL acting on the situation without the total story. I do believe that, had this been a Bengal, regardless of that player's history, the media, the public and the league would be reacting different.