1st Round: Keith Rivers

ArmyBengal

Welcome aboard, Keith. Seems pretty personable. You've got my support.

On another note, anyone see the Bengals Club House? They looked so stunned and speechless.

You called it Squirrel Boy! Good job.

hey, what can I say?

I just saw the Marketability in him.....Keith Rivers.....sounds like a Bengal, as evidenced by my signature.

Yeah. I noticed. :P

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was the right pick considering how everything else fell out. We've got to be pleased.

I've been pimping Rivers from the moment it seemed likely Ellis would be off the board. He's outstanding, capable of starting from day one, has unbelievable upside, and it fills a major need.

Still, I shed a tear or two for big Sedrick. So close. So far. So predictable.

here is why the pick of Rivers is just another example of the overall lack of creativity from the Bengals FO (or lack of one)...

you've got Chad begging to go elsewhere////you've got Levi now beggin to be traded///you've got no lack of trading partners as shown by the Jax and NO moves////

so, what happens, the player that would help this team the most gets snagged, the bengals are stuck on TV holding their jocks, getting handed Rivers, which is tantamount to eating mac-n-cheese at the kids table, instead of Filet wth the adults....

Rivers is fine...decent...never arrested...but he is not the impact guy you want from your r1-9 pick, as Ellis would be....

You kinda got the Keith Rivers tiger jumping out of water thing going on too.

Anyone listening to the conference? They're really high on him. Hey, if Zimmer and Fitzgerald like him, I like him.

what would you have them say? "He's OK, I mean we wish we had a FO who had the sense and creativity to pull off a deal for Ellis but, hey, what can you do?".

they are not going to say that, even though MOST of you here, and probably many of the staff, feel that way.

there is one word for this...

Complacency.

It was the right pick considering how everything else fell out. We've got to be pleased.

I've been pimping Rivers from the moment it seemed likely Ellis would be off the board. He's outstanding, capable of starting from day one, has unbelievable upside, and it fills a major need.

here is why the pick of Rivers is just another example of the overall lack of creativity from the Bengals FO (or lack of one)...

you've got Chad begging to go elsewhere////you've got Levi now beggin to be traded///you've got no lack of trading partners as shown by the Jax and NO moves////

so, what happens, the player that would help this team the most gets snagged, the bengals are stuck on TV holding their jocks, getting handed Rivers, which is tantamount to eating mac-n-cheese at the kids table, instead of Filet wth the adults....

Rivers is fine...decent...never arrested...but he is not the impact guy you want from your r1-9 pick, as Ellis would be....

Patrick Willis wasn't really known as a big time playmaker last year....then he comes in and dominates. Let's hope for a repeat of that

Kingwilly let's be realistic here we would have had to offer alot more then a 1st and a 3rd because we would have to make the deal so sweet that the patriots wouldn't call saints back saying bengals are making a better off.......Saints well picking lower then us had the upper hand because it was so obvious we wanted ellis and it was obvious the saints were gonna do what ever it took to get one of the DT's from this draft. Well Rivers is not Ellis he was the best player we had to choose from "shrug"

what would you have them say? "He's OK

Who thinks he's just ok outside of bengal fans who wanted a RB that he's just ok? Rivers was considered a top 10 pick by almost everyone he was considered the best LB by every body....Mayo I think was better choice for pats because he seemed like better 3-4 LB where rivers is suited for 4-3.

Somewhere, DesperateDerelict is drinking heavily... :beer::drunk::lol:

So, are you ready to start calling it the worst draft ever? Because we've done that before and we can do it again if you'd like.

As for the so-called lack of impact, just wait and see. Rivers has almost unlimited upside and is most often compared to Derrick Brooks, a player few would claim has no impact ability.

As soon as people get over the sting of missing out on Ellis they're going to realize just how good Rivers is.

You kinda got the Keith Rivers tiger jumping out of water thing going on too.

Anyone listening to the conference? They're really high on him. Hey, if Zimmer and Fitzgerald like him, I like him.

what would you have them say? "He's OK, I mean we wish we had a FO who had the sense and creativity to pull off a deal for Ellis but, hey, what can you do?".

they are not going to say that, even though MOST of you here, and probably many of the staff, feel that way.

there is one word for this...

Complacency.

Ok, let's clear up a few things:

Rivers wasn't my first choice, EVERYBODY wanted Ellis. Get real.

I've heard Rivers being compared to Derrick Brooks. I don't know about you, but I'll take that.

Every publication/site I've been to (and I've got the PFW and Sporting News draft guides right here in front of me) has pretty much spoken of Rivers in glowing terms. The Sporting News draft guide ranked Rivers as their 3rd overall best player.

I mean, what do you want me to do? Sit and groan and moan?

At least we got defense, man....sheesh.

You don't know what Fitzgerald and Zimmer have in store for Rivers.

So, are you ready to start calling it the worst draft ever? Because we've done that before and we can do it again if you'd like.

As for the so-called lack of impact, just wait and see. Rivers has almost unlimited upside and is most often compared to Derrick Brooks, a player few would claim has no impact ability.

As soon as people get over the sting of missing out on Ellis they're going to realize just how good Rivers is.

Nobodies calling it the worst draft ever..... yet. Just saying that the Bengals are constantly a mediocre football team because they make mediocre decisions on how to operate it. The Bengals are average year after year because they're average on both lines. So what do they do to improve that?? They draft a linebacker. Again. One of these days they'll realize in order to not get beat they can't get pushed around up front. If you can't land someone at nine then trade up or trade down and get the proper value out of the selection.

And where is this unlimited upside? The guy started four years and never showed any ability to dominate from his position. He's going to all of a sudden start doing that at a higher level?

I saw someone compare him to Patrick Willis as well and that is laughable. Keith Rivers senior season=78 tackles, 5 TFL, 3 fumble recoveries, 0 sacks, 0 int's. Willis senior season=137 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 1 fumble recovery, 3 sacks, and one INT. Very comparable huh?

Rivers wont be able to do much when the blockers get to him in their second step since the DL will have NO ONE to hold the blockers. It STARTS with the DL, without a good DL it does not matter how good your LB's are.

Is the Draft over? Last time I checked the draft was more then 1 round and good players came out in all rounds.

And where is this unlimited upside?

Check the tools. Scan the workout numbers.

The guy started four years and never showed any ability to dominate from his position.

No, he's a three year starter and there were plenty of observers who claimed Rivers was the best LB in the country last season. Better than Dan Conner. Better than Little Animal.

I saw someone compare him to Patrick Willis as well and that is laughable.

Who cares? Last year is last year.

I saw someone compare him to Patrick Willis as well and that is laughable.

Who cares? Last year is last year.

ok, lets be serious....

HoF, are you saying you expect Rivers to perform at a Willis or Sims level next year?