Fu*k Kirk Herbstreit!!!

DDOGG

Herbstreit calls Bengals an 'abyss'

ESPN analyst says USC star is 'too good a character' for team, says Chad Johnson issue is 'embarrassment.'

By Mark Gokavi

Staff Writer

Thursday, April 24, 2008

DAYTON — Kirk Herbstreit thinks Sedrick Ellis might be too good — off the field — for the Cincinnati Bengals.

"There's talk about (USC defensive tackle) Sedrick Ellis coming in as a Cincinnati Bengal," Herbstreit said. "I don't know if he fits Cincinnati because he's got great character. He's an effort guy. He gives you 100 percent every snap. He's tremendous.

"I don't know if he fits in Cincinnati because he's too good a character. And yet, is he going to fall into the great abyss of the Cincinnati Bengals or is he going to be able to overcome that?"

Herbstreit, a Centerville native and ESPN college football analyst, was at the Dayton Convention Center on Wednesday night, April, 23, for Centerville High School's Sonny Unger Foundation awards presentation.

Herbstreit, who will be part of ESPN's NFL draft coverage this weekend, also blasted the Bengals for their handling of disgruntled receiver Chad Johnson.

"It's an embarrassment to this point," Herbstreit said. "I've been a Bengals fan my entire life, and I really feel at this point — I'm a big Marvin Lewis supporter and fan — but I think he and the staff have created the situation that they're in with Chad Johnson.

"I don't feel pity. I don't feel sorry for them. They kind of had rules for the team and then rules for Chad. This is where you are. Everybody has to be treated the same. In my opinion, this team is back to where we were four or five years ago."

The former Ohio State quarterback also said recruiting — just like the NFL draft — is a crapshoot.

Many people thought Justin Zwick would be OSU's best-ever QB. Many now put that tag on Terrelle Pryor.

"You have no idea," Herbstreit said. "It's like trying to figure out Terrelle Pryor. Terrelle Pryor could be a four-year All-American or he could be a bust. We have no idea.

"I wish him the best. I think he could be a great player, but until he gets to Columbus and you see him, you don't know."

For the most part, he's right on target with his comments. Although I find him to be somewhat of a pretentious a$$ on ESPN's College Game Day shows, he's really helped put Ohio High School football on the national map.

The OHSAA has an archaic rule limiting travel for football teams to 200 miles. Herbstreit's Ohio Challenge series has allowed area schools to go head to head with some better known national powers. Very cool event if you get the opportunity to attend.

For the most part, he's right on target with his comments.

You think so? I don't. The character rant is outdated. Virtually all the problem children are gone, yet the Bengals get no credit for it. Yet Jerry Jones signs TO and Tank Johnson and trades for Pacman and it's, "boy, what smart moves." :rolleyes: As for the "different set of rules" complaint, well, welcome to the real world, Kirk. If you don't think star players with big salaries get treated differently than career special teamers all around the league, you're fooling yourself.

For the most part, he's right on target with his comments. Although I find him to be somewhat of a pretentious a$$ on ESPN's College Game Day shows, he's really helped put Ohio High School football on the national map.

The OHSAA has an archaic rule limiting travel for football teams to 200 miles. Herbstreit's Ohio Challenge series has allowed area schools to go head to head with some better known national powers. Very cool event if you get the opportunity to attend.

Agree 100%

For the most part, he's right on target with his comments.

You think so? I don't. The character rant is outdated. Virtually all the problem children are gone, yet the Bengals get no credit for it. Yet Jerry Jones signs TO and Tank Johnson and trades for Pacman and it's, "boy, what smart moves." :rolleyes: As for the "different set of rules" complaint, well, welcome to the real world, Kirk. If you don't think star players with big salaries get treated differently than career special teamers all around the league, you're fooling yourself.

I don't get why people aren't nailing the Cowboys either. And this is the same guy who oversaw the Irvin, Switzer, and a bunch of criminals in the early 90s too.

With Wade Phillips (a total pansy) overseeing the asylum this year, I can't *wait* to see how this plays out. I'd like to add Chad to that mix too. ;)

Did Herbstreit say anything that hasn't been uttered a thousand times on this very message board by other so-called Bengal fans?

By "so-called", are you claiming that you're not a true fan if you didn't have your head up your @ss in 2006 and 2007? Because cerebrorectal implantation is the only way one would miss the "character problems" that abounded here for a while.

I'm a fan. I also happened to notice that the collection of losers the Bengals collected were dragging the team down. I also recognized that all but a couple of those idiots have been shown the door, making Herbstreit's comments a little untimely.

By "so-called", are you claiming that you're not a true fan if you didn't have your head up your @ss in 2006 and 2007? Because cerebrorectal implantation is the only way one would miss the "character problems" that abounded here for a while.

No, I say so-called because there are plenty of Bengal fans who haven't had a positive thing to say about the team dating back well before 2006. Some haven't had a positive word to say for more than a decade, right?

And if you're always negative I question whether you're really a fan. A fan of the area but not the local team? Yeah, those aren't hard to find. An interested observer? Maybe. A passionate critic? Sure. But a fan? Probably not. Because being a fan implies support and enjoyment.

Also, who isn't familiar with the rant about the endless parade of good players who aren't at fault for doing whatever was required to escape the abyss?

Argue that Herbsteit's rant comes a little too late if you wish, but nobody can argue that it didn't feel familiar.