The Shaun Alexander Thread

HoosierCat

We'er not getting a running back. We have too many players and money their already. Maybe Rudi's not a 1,400 yd back anymore, but combine Irons, Perry and, Watson and I think we're just fine.

I seriously doubt Irons will be ready, and I don't think we should rush him. Carson wasn't really ready after 9 months and he's a QB. No way a RB comes back that fast. I'm thinking second half of the season, he should be ready to get some playing time.

Perry...I'll believe it when I see it.

But hopefully Rudi and Watson can carry us through. I would like to see a little more help, and if Alexander would come with a low base contract possibly with a fair level of options if he does perform, I'd take it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean he's to old? Bret just retired and he's like 40 and he can still play! Most of the guys on FNFL network can probably still play and contribute to a team. It's not like we're asking OJ to come back and run the ball for us. Look what MJ did when he came back to basketball. He didn't carry the team but he hung with the young guys! He's not washed up. I'm going on 41 and cna still hang with the 18 and 19 year old Soldiers. Age is just a number! Shoot I think it was a year or so ago, we had a Sergeant Major retire and made a college football team. Granted it was a small college, but he went out and competed with these young men and made the team.

Actually, this guy should be (according to Don Banks at least, for what little that's worth) available shortly, and he was off to a very good start in 2007 before he got injured

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...yers/19438.html

so....how about we bring HIM in for a tryout?

Good size, good speed, good hands, doesn't fumble, not a lot of mileage on him

I know, he should probably have it's own patented Bengalszone OWUD thread of his own.....but I don't know if I am authorized to start one......you know, trademark infringement and all that

I don't agree with signing Alexander. First, he's over 30 and I can't remember the last time a team signed a free agent back over 30 that had a major impact. Secondly, by all accounts his play has regressed, even to the point that Mike Holmgren thinks that T.J. Duckett, Maurice Morris and Julian Jones are better players than him at this point. I believe he was a product of an outstanding line during his best years in Seattle, as he hasn't been the same type of player since Hutchinson left. He missed time last year due to an injured arm/wrist and there were rumors that teammates began questioning his toughness and ability to play through nagging injuries. Lastly, signing him almost certainly means that you lose the 3rd round pick compensatory pick that the Bengals should receive for losing Williams, Smith and co.

I'd rather see what we have through camp and the preseason and see what happens from there, then make a snap decision based on the fact that we didn't draft a RB this year in the draft.

Lastly, signing him almost certainly means that you lose the 3rd round pick compensatory pick that the Bengals should receive for losing Williams, Smith and co.

Mostly incorrect

Basically, the "value" assigned to a player for purposes of compensatory picks is almost entirely determined by the per year average of his contract. Naturally, there's no way any GM in his right mind (err, well, this is Son of Paul, mind you) signs Alexander to a contract the size of Smith's.....far more likely a min vet contract with some incentive clauses.......so no, it would not negate the compensatory value.

and now back to the topic...........

Basically, the "value" assigned to a player for purposes of compensatory picks is almost entirely determined by the per year average of his contract. Naturally, there's no way any GM in his right mind (err, well, this is Son of Paul, mind you) signs Alexander to a contract the size of Smith's.....far more likely a min vet contract with some incentive clauses.......so no, it would not negate the compensatory value.

and now back to the topic...........

Why would Alexander figure in compensatory picks? If he's released by the Seahawks they get crapola.

As for Alexander playing, he's not washed up, he's the same age as me and I'm....oh f*ck. I'm getting OLD!!!!

Seriously, this thread is making me drink.

shaun alexander = washed up and no good

lamont jordon = less washed up, and a little less no good

i don't want to see either player in stripes.

Lamont Jordan < Shaun Alexander. I do not like Jordan at all.

Well, that covers the idiot point of view. Thanks for taking care of that, agreen. Anyone else?

While you're thinking, take a look at his stats for the first 4 games of 2007

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5496

I say the first 4 because he was injured in in game 4...you'll see when you look at the stats

Lamont Jordan < Shaun Alexander. I do not like Jordan at all.

Well, that covers the idiot point of view. Thanks for taking care of that, agreen. Anyone else?

While you're thinking, take a look at his stats for the first 4 games of 2007

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5496

I say the first 4 because he was injured in in game 4...you'll see when you look at the stats

TJ, i hate to say this but look at the teams they faced in the first 4 games.

LJ and SA are both not what we need.

Why would Alexander figure in compensatory picks?

Go back and re-read the part of happyJaq's post I quoted, then re-read my post.

We are not in disagreement here.

OK, I did. And I still don't understand A. what he's saying, nor B. your response to him! ;)

So I reiterate, what does Shaun Alexander have to do with compensatory picks? Seriously, if I'm missing something here I'm always happy to learn more about the vagaries of the NFL's arcane free agency process. But unless happyJaq, you, and I are all on crack this isn't clicking here.

Of course, I need to eat some lunch and I'm low on blood sugar, so I currently have an effective IQ of about 90, so take that for what it's worth.

I'll spell it out for you

Happy Jaq said the following...I've bolded the only part I commented on, but I include it in it's entirety so you can understand why this is being discussed

I don't agree with signing Alexander. First, he's over 30 and I can't remember the last time a team signed a free agent back over 30 that had a major impact. Secondly, by all accounts his play has regressed, even to the point that Mike Holmgren thinks that T.J. Duckett, Maurice Morris and Julian Jones are better players than him at this point. I believe he was a product of an outstanding line during his best years in Seattle, as he hasn't been the same type of player since Hutchinson left. He missed time last year due to an injured arm/wrist and there were rumors that teammates began questioning his toughness and ability to play through nagging injuries. Lastly, signing him almost certainly means that you lose the 3rd round pick compensatory pick that the Bengals should receive for losing Williams, Smith and co.

I'd rather see what we have through camp and the preseason and see what happens from there, then make a snap decision based on the fact that we didn't draft a RB this year in the draft.

So Happy Jaq is claiming that if we sign Alexander, it will cause us to lose a high (he says 3rd round) compensatory pick

My response says "uh, no, wrong"

You response was "why are we talking about compensatory picks?

The answer - because Happy Jaq wrongly brought it up

Clear now?

For vet min, not much to complain about if it does end up a reality. Hopefully he'll run with a chip on his shoulder and prove to some people (myself included) that he's not up to it anymore. He certainly wouldn't be here for the money. He'd most likely be a backup behind Perry/Rudi anyway.

LJ and SA are both not what we need.

Well naturally what we need is Adrian Peterson and Ladainian Tomlinson both signed for 5 years or more at minimum veteran salaries. Yeah.

On the other hand, in the real world where I live (and you are welcome to join me), you have the following to choose from

1) existing players on your roster

2) your draftees and signed UDCFAs

3) street free agents

4) layer acquired through a trade (although this is a pipe dream....trades outside of the draft are a fairly rare thing)

So, using those options only, tell me again what we "need"....and this time, don't tell me what we don't need, tell me what we DO need