Johnson says he won't attend team functions, demands trade

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: April 16, 2008, 2:15 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson left no room for doubt Wednesday: He wants out of Cincinnati as fast as possible and he doesn't plan on reporting for any future Bengal function -- mandatory or voluntary.

Johnson

What spurred Johnson's immediate reaction was a statement made by quarterback Carson Palmer that indicated Johnson had told Palmer he would be at the team's mandatory minicamp in mid-June. Johnson said that wasn't true.

"I want to make this very clear,'' Johnson said Wednesday. "I don't know where he got that. I made no assertion to Carson that I would do that. Nothing has changed from what I've been saying for three months that I don't want to play for the Bengals.''

Johnson made one of his strongest statements in saying he is not planning on reporting to any team functions because he wants to be traded.

"I want to be traded before the draft, and if that doesn't happen, I want to be traded as soon as possible,'' Johnson said. "I don't intend on reporting to anything.''

Johnson is skipping the team's offseason workouts as he tries to push for a trade. But the Bengals have also made it clear that they have no plans of trading him.

The Pro Bowl wide receiver said he was surprised by Palmer's comments about his possibly reporting to mandatory camp.

"I wish he would stay out of my business,'' Johnson said.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Comment

Email

Print

Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson left no room for doubt Wednesday: He wants out of Cincinnati as fast as possible and he doesn't plan on reporting for any future Bengal function -- mandatory or voluntary.

Johnson

What spurred Johnson's immediate reaction was a statement made by quarterback Carson Palmer that indicated Johnson had told Palmer he would be at the team's mandatory minicamp in mid-June. Johnson said that wasn't true.

"I want to make this very clear,'' Johnson said Wednesday. "I don't know where he got that. I made no assertion to Carson that I would do that. Nothing has changed from what I've been saying for three months that I don't want to play for the Bengals.''

Johnson made one of his strongest statements in saying he is not planning on reporting to any team functions because he wants to be traded.

"I want to be traded before the draft, and if that doesn't happen, I want to be traded as soon as possible,'' Johnson said. "I don't intend on reporting to anything.''

Johnson is skipping the team's offseason workouts as he tries to push for a trade. But the Bengals have also made it clear that they have no plans of trading him.

The Pro Bowl wide receiver said he was surprised by Palmer's comments about his possibly reporting to mandatory camp.

Let him sit and rot...good riddence

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Comment

Email

Print

Johnson

That's it?

That's it?

Don't they want to ask him anything else?

Is that all? :)

All joking aside, this had to be his next move. Nothing has worked to this point, so he had to attack Carson. Carson's so nosy, he's all up in everybody's business. Right.

I don't think Chad knows what he wants. First he stated that he won't attend events. Then he said that weather he's traded or not, we'll see Chad the football player. Then today, we hear that Palmer talked to him and he said that Chad will be at camp. After that, the NFL network said that Chad responded and stated that this is not a joke and he will not play for the Bengals this year. He wants Palmer to stay out of his business.

Chad is an awesome player but his immature ways are hurting this team. Let him sit out and work at McDonalds. In a way, I'm hoping that he sits out and the Bengals make the playoffs without him. That'll send a message to him. Damn, I'm so tired of these antics! Chad, grow up and be a man. You signed a contract, now go out and comply with it and earn a paycheck. Spoiled rich kid with no values!

All joking aside, this had to be his next move. Nothing has worked to this point, so he had to attack Carson.

Well, it is the next chapter in the Terrell Owens playbook, and Chad seems determined to follow in his footsteps. So yeah, it was predictable.

Chapter Four: Saying Stupid Stuff About Your Pro Bowl QB

Just let him rot. Don't trade him. Stick to your guns.

He attacked Carson Palmer? Is he stupid? This makes him look even worse.

I don't think Chad knows what he wants. First he stated that he won't attend events. Then he said that weather he's traded or not, we'll see Chad the football player. Then today, we hear that Palmer talked to him and he said that Chad will be at camp. After that, the NFL network said that Chad responded and stated that this is not a joke and he will not play for the Bengals this year.

Yup. It's a different story every day. Which, of course, makes it tough to take his threats seriously.

Whoever said its a page from the Drew/Terrell playbook nailed dead on.

Remember how Terrell called out Donovan McNabb? Basically said Donovan choked in the SB?

At least Mike Brown and Marvin know whats coming.

I must admit I thought Chad would quiet down after this years Super Bowl, but damn, he has only to tickle ESPN and they turn their mega million viewers&listeners in his direction.

Once Chad starts taking on Carson, there can be no peace, someone has to go and we know its not going to be CP.

Now he's telling Carson to stay out his business ?? Well, I have always said up to now that I thought Chad would be back and success would change the attitude and how fans perceived him. I would still support him as long as he was a Bengal. THAT STOPS TODAY...

Chad Johnson can kiss my ass. I will not support him, not cheer for him, and will no longer tolerate his bullsh*t antics regardless of what happens... I have an XL jersey of his that is a couple years old, orange in color and in VERY good shape. If anyone would like to offer anything for it, PM me. If not, I will be throwing it away.

F*CK YOU CHAD !!! HERE'S TO HOPING YOU GET HIT BY A BUS MOTHERF*CKER !!!

WHODEY !!!

But really, it's hardly shocking to any of us. And I'll bet CJ is gone. It helps that the NFL is a closed league in terms of possible represcussions but is the Organisation that desperate that they'd settle for a moral victory as the only tangible return from this season. Would the fans of the Bengals as a whole be willing to settle for that? Reality and what's best for the team has to kick in at some point. As nice as it would be to stick it to Chad and every other pampered, dishonest and selfish athlete, how often does that happen?

I know somebody will bring up the cap hit as the reason it won't happen but if that is the case then maybe those who accuse SoP of just caring about the money are totally right. No interest in winning whatsoever.

Edit to add: The apparent moves we tried to make this offseason, especially defensively, don't really tally up with an owner and Franchise that is happy to just keep on keeping on firmly in the middle of the pack.

But really, it's hardly shockinh to any of us.

Well, it shouldn't be, since there's not much actual news here. Chad wants a trade? Duh. Chad's blowing off the voluntaries? Knew that. He'll blow off the mandatories? Figured that.

What I find interesting is the way the story has -- so far -- danced around the issue of training camp/preseason and the regular season. Chad won't attend any voluntary or mandatory "functions"? Does that count training camp and preseason? I would be inclined to think so, but there's plenty of wiggle room. Is the regular season a "function"? Since Chad has said before he won't sit out the season, I'm inclined to think not.

Really, I'm not worried. I think I'd rather that Chad stayed away up until the start of the season.

Well, it shouldn't be, since there's not much actual news here. Chad wants a trade? Duh. Chad's blowing off the voluntaries? Knew that. He'll blow off the mandatories? Figured that.

What I find interesting is the way the story has -- so far -- danced around the issue of training camp/preseason and the regular season. Chad won't attend any voluntary or mandatory "functions"? Does that count training camp and preseason? I would be inclined to think so, but there's plenty of wiggle room. Is the regular season a "function"? Since Chad has said before he won't sit out the season, I'm inclined to think not.

Really, I'm not worried. I think I'd rather that Chad stayed away up until the start of the season.

Nice observation. Ultimately Chad's craving for attention will mean he won't sit out an entire season, IMO. He just plains needs to be seen. Chatting on a radio show or doing a few more adverts won't do it for him. The prospect of not getting paid (sorry, underpaid) will help motivate his majesty too I should imagine.

But really, it's hardly shocking to any of us. And I'll bet CJ is gone. It helps that the NFL is a closed league in terms of possible represcussions but is the Organisation that desperate that they'd settle for a moral victory as the only tangible return from this season. Would the fans of the Bengals as a whole be willing to settle for that? Reality and what's best for the team has to kick in at some point. As nice as it would be to stick it to Chad and every other pampered, dishonest and selfish athlete, how often does that happen?

I know somebody will bring up the cap hit as the reason it won't happen but if that is the case then maybe those who accuse SoP of just caring about the money are totally right. No interest in winning whatsoever.

Edit to add: The apparent moves we tried to make this offseason, especially defensively, don't really tally up with an owner and Franchise that is happy to just keep on keeping on firmly in the middle of the pack.

Who are the Bengals going to cut when we trade him?

Not tradeable until next year. IMO - he needs to sit and reflect.

He is an idiot and I hope the team stands firm on their stance. Go after signing bonus if possible.

It would make my day to trade him away for a top 16 pick, maybe snag an OT or my boy Albert from Virginia, man that would be sweet. It would be even more sweet if we sent him to Buffalo or Chicago for there number 1 pick and see how he likes trying to catch under/over thrown balls.

No he said he would NEVER play for the Bengals again...that includes everything

Also...if he voluntarily sits out the season, that means the Bengals don't have to pay his salary...he is basically forfeiting it, does that mean they can recoup the cap hit?