Mock Draft

CarsonDaMan

With the 97th pick I selected safety Tom Zbikowski out of Notre Dame. I wouldn't expect him to push for a starting job but should be an excellent special teams player and very good backup. Very smart, tough, and hardworking player. The kind of guy the Bengals need on the roster. He could even be a darkhorse at returning punts.

So to sum up the first day:

1.) Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St

2.) Erin Henderson, LB, Maryland

3a.) Red Bryant, DT, Texas A&M

3b.) Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame

I know the majority of you don't agree with Clady but I still feel he's the better player over Rivers. I also agree he won't make an impact right off but I don't think Rivers would either. Drafting is more about building your roster up for the long haul than quick fixes.

Be back shortly with my second day picks.

You lost me on the Zbikowski pick. Big reach, plus we have like 8 or 9 S's on the roster right now. Kilmer should return and has potential and is the special teams wildcard.

If we want to address the KR/PR then lets look at the WR's who also have the skill as we need to rebuild serious depth there. Our 3b pick needs to be more than a targeted special teamer.

Not a big reach. Very productive player who is typically rated as a third rounder. They may have 8 or 9 bodies but they have about one guy right now that has proven he can play in Ndukwe. Dexter Jackson needs to be gone asap and Marvin White has played little and proven little. Also I'm well with you with the wide receiver thing but when you actually do these things you realize that the players you need or want aren't always going to be there. Every receiver i targeted was taken. I can't twinkle my nose in order for a good wr to fall in my lap. That being said....

With pick 112 I selected TE Jermichael Finley out of Texas. I see this as a Robert Geathers style upside pick. The guy left a lot of eligiblity on the table at Texas but has first round talent. He won't play much early on behind Kelly and Utecht but with lack of experience he would need that time to learn and work on his body. This guy has too much talent to pass on at this point in the draft.

4.) Jermichael Finley, TE, Texas

With the 97th pick I selected safety Tom Zbikowski out of Notre Dame. I wouldn't expect him to push for a starting job but should be an excellent special teams player and very good backup. Very smart, tough, and hardworking player. The kind of guy the Bengals need on the roster. He could even be a darkhorse at returning punts.

So to sum up the first day:

I know the majority of you don't agree with Clady but I still feel he's the better player over Rivers. I also agree he won't make an impact right off but I don't think Rivers would either. Drafting is more about building your roster up for the long haul than quick fixes.

Be back shortly with my second day picks.

You lost me on the Zbikowski pick. Big reach, plus we have like 8 or 9 S's on the roster right now. Kilmer should return and has potential and is the special teams wildcard.

If we want to address the KR/PR then lets look at the WR's who also have the skill as we need to rebuild serious depth there. Our 3b pick needs to be more than a targeted special teamer.

Not a big reach. Very productive player who is typically rated as a third rounder. They may have 8 or 9 bodies but they have about one guy right now that has proven he can play in Ndukwe. Dexter Jackson needs to be gone asap and Marvin White has played little and proven little. Also I'm well with you with the wide receiver thing but when you actually do these things you realize that the players you need or want aren't always going to be there. Every receiver i targeted was taken. I can't twinkle my nose in order for a good wr to fall in my lap. That being said....

With pick 112 I selected TE Jermichael Finley out of Texas. I see this as a Robert Geathers style upside pick. The guy left a lot of eligiblity on the table at Texas but has first round talent. He won't play much early on behind Kelly and Utecht but with lack of experience he would need that time to learn and work on his body. This guy has too much talent to pass on at this point in the draft.

Ok, hold up. first you say he will be a good ST player, now you seem to suggest he could be starting? tell me if I've misinterpreted what you wrote but...that's nuts.

I understand the exercise/game you are in but the S pick and TE pick seem out of place. about a round or two early, when needs like WR, DE and RB are untouched.

not trying to be overly critcal...looks like a fun game.

Dislike Zbikowski too,a 1st round stud safety would be one thing but zbik is far from that.

At this point, a 1st round safety would constitute the worst 1st round pick since Chris Perry. <_<

Weak Class or????even if we traded down??? with that being said though safety is our deepest postion and inless we get a total stud it's best not to waste the pic.

pS,I Haven't really been following top ranked safeties this year so really just don't know.

Dislike Zbikowski too,a 1st round stud safety would be one thing but zbik is far from that.

At this point, a 1st round safety would constitute the worst 1st round pick since Chris Perry. <_<

Weak Class or????even if we traded down??? with that being said though safety is our deepest postion and inless we get a total stud it's best not to waste the pic.

pS,I Haven't really been following top ranked safeties this year so really just don't know.

To all those who want to trade down.........why? We have 10 picks as is, how many more do you think they can use? The Bengals are in need of a very good rnd 1 pick, and their chances of getting one is far better at 9 then say, 18.

With all the holes on the team, for sure, as likely as taxes increasing for most of us stiffs in the next administration, they will find a sorely needed stud at #9.

Safety is one of the lower valued positions in the nfl, skill wise. They tend to be guys not fast enough to play CB and not big enough to play LB. Better to draft positions of high skill such as DE/DT, RB, WR and OT in the early rounds, especially since the team is one player away from disaster at three of those positions should an injury occur.

With pick number 145 in the 5th round I selected Wide Receiver Keenan Burton from Kentucky.

5.) Keenan Burton, WR, Kentucky

I have no problem with the first three picks, but two of the last three seem to be wasted.

already have safeties of Zbikowski's talent on the team and will have to cut some = wasted pick

already have three TE's on the team that have proven capable, no improvement here = wasted pick

I think DT, CB and WR are more pressing needs at 3b and 4, can always pick up ST safeties and prospect TE's much later.

With pick number 177 in the 6th round I selected Center Cody Wallace from Texas A&M.

6a.) Cody Wallace, C, Texas A&M

With pick number 207 I selected Defensive End Chris Harrington from Texas A&M.

6b.) Chris Harrington, DE, Texas A&M

It wouldnt be a Bengals draft if they did not double picks from at least one team, but three, I dont know.

It wouldnt be a Bengals draft if they did not double picks from at least one team, but three, I dont know.

I thought that myself. I considered I had to draft under the premesis that I only have one scout. Texas A&M has an excellent buffet so we had to make an extra trip down to college station. Turns out they actually had some decent players as well.

With pick number 244 I selected Cornerback Jonathan Zenon from LSU.

And to close it out with pick 246 I selected Linebacker Thomas Williams from USC.

So the final draft board is:

7a.) Jonathan Zenon, CB, LSU

7b.) Thomas Williams, LB, USC

I'm surprised there's no RB in there. Are you comfortable with the Bengal's RB situtation?

My last pick was actually a toss up between Thomas Williams and Thomas Brown from Georgia. I like Brown but I really like the potential upside Williams could have so I went with him. I had a few running backs I had a target on but each of them were taken before I could give them consideration. So the way it worked out I never really had the opportunity to go RB with a pick.

I do think Rudi bounces back. I love Watson for depth. And between Dorsey, Chris Perry, and Kenny Irons one of them should offer some sort of production. So I saw no need to reach for a running back higher than I should have.

I'm surprised there's no RB in there. Are you comfortable with the Bengal's RB situtation?

I know you weren't asking me, but I'd like to state that I am on member here who is. I have no problem going into the season with who Cincinnati now holds at the position.

I know you weren't asking me, but I'd like to state that I am on member here who is. I have no problem going into the season with who Cincinnati now holds at the position.

I've been a member of this board as well as the Insiders board for 4 years. I have said the same things over and over for all of that time. My thoughts are often discounted or ignored but were finally acknowledged by both Marvin and Rudi.

Thanks guys!

I've said it for years and I will continue to say it... It's not the players, gentlemen, it's the way that they have been used that has been wrong.

On both sides of the football!

On offense, the first option should always be to run the football. It is football 101, it predates Bengals history. To make the passing game go at peak efficiency, your team has to establish in the minds of the defense that you might well be running the ball. It is phucking imperative. Our failure to do so manifested itself in 20 int. from a QB who is far too smart to throw that many picks in so many crucial situations. Christ guys, why did no one see this in '07? I saw it time after time. Carson was faced with the decision of making no play at all by throwing the ball away (frequently not a situational option) or try to force it to a WR who has had a CB crawl up the back of his shirt and a safety up the front side of his shirt. Inside the shirt on both sides, guys, and Carson is supposed to fit it into a perfect spot and pray that the receiver can make a play instead of the two DBs who have him covered like a sheet and blanket. And ya know why? Easy, the defense totally disregarded the run because they knew it wasn't going to happen. They flooded all passing lanes with everybody they had. It's why there were so few sacks and so many INTs. They weren't really coming after Carson, they blanketed all of his passing lanes. It seemed like I was the only one who noticed. But I wasn't, ML and Rudi just confirmed what I already knew.

Lap said it quite eloquently one night on Bengals Line. He said the way to make an offense hit on all cylinders was to run the ball on 1st down. The objective is to get 4 YPC, which Rudi has done for most of his career. If you get your 4 yards on first down, you shove it up their ass again on 2nd down. If you get your 4 yards on 2nd down you have third and short, which is much more manageable than the 3rd and long we got last year, and it is where Carson is his most dangerous. The offense pretty much hit its previous peak in '05. It was the one year where Bratkowski ran Rudi a lot on 1st down. And it worked. I have tapes of many of the '05 games, I have watched each multiple times. My favorite plays of '05 were Rudi busting it for 8 or 9 yards on first down. Got damn 2nd & 1 was sweet. Now the defense has to defend the run and it is where Chad, TJ and Numbnutz ran wild and far less encumbered. Last year, Bratkowski believed he could make it go with Carson and some receivers and nothing more. Phuck the rush game and phuck the TE. No, phuck you Bob.

Establish a run game and we can forget about Chad's drama.

Give Carson a strong rush attack and I promise you that Carson will hold up his end irrespective of whom mans the WRs.

Geez guys, look at the two games when he fed it to Watson 30 times. We kicked the snot out of Jets and Titans. It worked!!! Why didn't he do it more? Clueless would seem to be a good word to describe Bob.

Run the got damn football, Bob. It works!!

You guys who gave up on Rudi should be ashamed. Rudi has a huge heart which he has laid out on the field for years and one injury slowed year in a bad offensive system does not diminish that for me. Rudi and Watson will do great if utilized properly. Remains to be seen if Brat has figured it out.

If Marvin can't make him see this, then Marvin risks losing one of his biggest supporters.

Time to get it done Marv. Time to get it done Bob.

Establish this as a run first team!

There is a similar story to tell here on the defensive side as well. I'll save it, unless someone wants to hear it, but suffice it to say, phuck Bresnahan, too!