Chris Henry RELEASED

From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

Chris Henry 'unlikely'

Jerry Jones said that acquiring recently released Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry, who was a college teammate of Pacman Jones' at West Virginia, is "unlikely."

Henry has been arrested five times since December 2005 on charges that include misdemeanor assault, possession of marijuana, carrying a concealed weapon and drunken driving.

He was cut by the Bengals last week after an alleged assault. Henry, 24, could face a seasonlong suspension by the NFL.

But Henry apparently is trying to go the "Pacman" route, too.

He has contacted former Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin about appearing on his Arlington-based radio show on ESPN/103.3 FM.

Pacman Jones made a nearly three-hour appearance on the Irvin show March 25 to talk about his off-the-field troubles.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I misunderstood these comments, but is this Marvin's way of saying he didn't want to draft Henry in the first place?

From NFL.com:

Other teams and franchises have suffered player conduct setbacks as painful as Cincinnati's. But the Bengals get the ugly label. They get the nasty jokes.

This mystifies and miffs Bengals coach Marvin Lewis.

But even Lewis understands the pall receiver Chris Henry cast on the franchise with his fifth arrest as a Bengal -- the latest last week on assault charges -- that prompted the Bengals to cut him.

"Nothing happened to Chris different than what I expected," Lewis said. "We weren't counting on Chris Henry. I knew it was only a certain amount of time. We were able now to do what I had hoped to do a long time ago -– move on. It's not fair to look at Chris Henry and say that reflects on our league. People say those guys make millions of dollars and so and so. Well, Chris Henry did not make millions of dollars, but he screwed it up anyway. Everybody tried to help him. Many, many hours, beyond belief, were spent by people trying to help him. He could not separate himself from people always leading him to the mud.

"A mistake was made three years ago. We are still paying for that mistake. I don't want us to be known for that. I don't want us to continue to pay that price. I hate that part of this. I don't want to be a part of that. You make errors, you pay for it."

The player. The team. The franchise. The city. The game.

This understanding seems to be entrenched now across the league as clubs prepare for the draft. They are projecting talent. Many of them, equally, are projecting character. Lewis said players are falling in this draft at torpedo speed due to character.

"It's easy to do," Lewis said about finding talented, character-driven players. "We know how to do it. Everybody does. Teams are aware of the players with questionable character. Now, there is a commitment more than ever to walk very carefully there. The commissioner's policy is excellent. What's coming from that office is a higher standard. Punishment is swift."

Maybe I misunderstood these comments, but is this Marvin's way of saying he didn't want to draft Henry in the first place?

Hard to say. He has always said things like..."We made a mistake"...and in doing so he's accepting a share of the blame. Furthermore, most of his comments in that snippet are in regards to the changes that have been made recently, first by the NFL overlords and then by the teams.

What can't be questioned though is Lewis's desire to cut Henry long ago, because on that score he rather deftly tossed Mikey squarely under the bus.

• 4 weeks later...
Dallas is still looking for another WR threat. As far as the media is concerned it would be a another great signing for "America's Team"

I wouldn't be at all surprised. Or maybe Chicago take a flier on him. No harm no foul.

John Clayton reported on SportsCenter that he is targeting Dallas and New Orleans as teams he would like to play for and Dallas "isn't interested". He goes on to say that Oakland might be the place that he lands at, although he might not be available for the '08 season. His agent even went on to say during the hearing that Henry has "an offer to try out for another team". It sounds like to me that people don't really believe he's facing a lifetime ban from the NFL, according to Goodell's "last chance" letter to Henry.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...EWS01/305060017

A judge gave Henry permission to travel for tryouts with other teams.

...and Chris is yet to produce the letter to the court to let him of the hook. Why? My guess is that it doesn't exist. It just nothing more than BS produced by his lawyer.

Is Henry in some kind of "no-man's land" with this? He's not technically suspended or banned because the commish wouldn't/couldn't do that to a player not under contract to an NFL franchise. On the other hand, it seems likely he WOULD be suspended/banned in the event he signs a contract. So would anyone really offer him a contract under these circumstances?

Is there a team that would really sign Henry knowing he will be suspended indefinitely, just on the outside chance they could have his services in '09 or '10 or whenever Goodell deems him sufficiently re-habilitated?

I guess we'll find out...

Is Henry in some kind of "no-man's land" with this? He's not technically suspended or banned because the commish wouldn't/couldn't do that to a player not under contract to an NFL franchise. On the other hand, it seems likely he WOULD be suspended/banned in the event he signs a contract. So would anyone really offer him a contract under these circumstances?

Is there a team that would really sign Henry knowing he will be suspended indefinitely, just on the outside chance they could have his services in '09 or '10 or whenever Goodell deems him sufficiently re-habilitated?

I guess we'll find out...

He better start thinking "plan B" - like maybe the CFL.

He would be unstoppable up there - and he's going to need to earn a paycheck pretty soon.

I doubt Canada would let him in. Which leaves him the Arena League. I think he might just scrap the whole football thing and go with his first love - full time gangster.

I doubt Canada would let him in. Which leaves him the Arena League. I think he might just scrap the whole football thing and go with his first love - full time gangster.

Ha! That actually might pay better than the CFL!