The NBA needed last night

Barbarian

Last night was one of the greatest endings to a basketball game in 10 years. The Lakers vs. Spurs game had 3 detrimental shots within 10 seconds of each other--unreal!!! Plus, David Stern got lucky that the game was on National TV. Even the announcers after the game were speechless.

Still--the NBA has to get better!!! The reasons why are:

1. Fan interest. Nobody wants to see an 18-year old kid in the NBA. A fledgling??? Bron Bron and Melo are major exceptions to the rule. Most 18-year old "just graduated from high school punkasses" don't deserve to be there. NBA GMs must get it into their heads that most 18-year olds need more development--which leads us to....

2. Stop killing the college game. Drafting kids out of college too early gives the NBA defunct products such as Joseph Forte and Micheal Olowokandi. David Stern talks about the NBA starting a Minor League System??? THAT'S ASSNINE, especially since there is already one in place--Collegiate Basketball!!!!! College players are already getting paid in the college system and receive benefits. Ask Chris Webber--this has been happening for a while now. Which also leads us to....

3. If the NFL gets their "Age Limit" to go through the court system, then the NBA should get one to go through as well. I mentioned this in #1.

4. More on Fan Interest--quit having playoff games on at 10:30 EST!!! The other night, the Kings vs. TimberWolves started at 10:30 (7:30 PST). I realize it's a rush to have Sacramento people to get to the game at 5:30PST, but this needs to happen--to generate more interest back east.

5. On the playoff system--nobody is interested in seeing a 7-game playoff series in the 1st round. Cut it down to 5. I think the NBA needs to look into cutting down the next round to 5 games as well. Another thing--play games EVERY OTHER NIGHT!!! None of this s**t of playing on Monday, then not playing again until Friday. That's bulls**t. You generate more interest like that.

6. David Stern needs to start marketing the NBA's rivalries, not individual players. Last year, which players did you hear the most about??? Bron and Melo (and if you wanna throw Kobe in there for the date rape), right??? Well, the players you heard most about are on the couch right now watching the playoffs. That shouldn't happen. Now, we are gearing up for potentially a Lakers vs. Kings Final in the West. THIS IS THE MOST UNDERRATED RIVALRY IN SPORTS!!! Most people in the East don't realize this--because their games are on at 10:30 EST!!!

The NBA was a success in the 1980s because of RIVALRIES!!! Lakers vs. Celtics. Celtics vs. Sixers. Pistons vs. Bulls. Knicks vs. Celtics. Lakers vs. Rockets. Why can't it be that way now??? Presently we have Lakers vs. Kings, Pacers vs. Pistons, Nets vs. Celtics, Lakers vs. Wolves, Mavs, Spurs. THIS IS WHAT DAVID STERN SHOULD BE MARKETING. NOT TRYING TO FIND THE NEXT MICHAEL JORDAN.

David Stern needs to realize that Mike's retired.

*Whew* Sorry to take up so much bandwidth.

you have some good points and some bad points. Why would you only be allowed to have 7PM games on the east coast? People work till 5-6 all across the country so having a tip off time at 5PM on the west coast is not good. It needs to be at 7-7:30 and unfortunately its late for the east coast. But if u like basketball, u will stay up for it, if not, go to bed.

The 7 game in the first round wont change cuz its about money, the players dont want it neither do the fans but the league does so that is why its 7.

I agree about hyping the rivalries instead of the players. The only series they really can do that though is the Lakers vs Spurs or Kings. There really arent any rivalries anymore. You have to have year in year out playoff series, and alot of the time they never happen.

I dont know about the NFL ruling matchign with the NBA ruling. First off its not a contact sport like football and its more depended on natural ability than physical ability. Most of the 18 yr olds that play are good now...Jermaine Oneal, Kobe, Garnett, etc.

im entirely against 18 year olds in the NBA. lebron was a crazy exception. for the most part, though, even the kids who turn out to be great (garnett, etc.), take a few years before they really catch up. and then some fall flat on their faces never to recover.

id rather see them spend those years in college basketball (lebron included).

you have some good points and some bad points. Why would you only be allowed to have 7PM games on the east coast? People work till 5-6 all across the country so having a tip off time at 5PM on the west coast is not good. It needs to be at 7-7:30 and unfortunately its late for the east coast. But if u like basketball, u will stay up for it, if not, go to bed.

The 7 game in the first round wont change cuz its about money, the players dont want it neither do the fans but the league does so that is why its 7.

I agree about hyping the rivalries instead of the players. The only series they really can do that though is the Lakers vs Spurs or Kings. There really arent any rivalries anymore. You have to have year in year out playoff series, and alot of the time they never happen.

I dont know about the NFL ruling matchign with the NBA ruling. First off its not a contact sport like football and its more depended on natural ability than physical ability. Most of the 18 yr olds that play are good now...Jermaine Oneal, Kobe, Garnett, etc.

Yeah--about the 10:30 PM bulls**t on the East Coast and people on the West Coast working until 5PM--Kings Fans are "Fanatical" about being Kings Fans. They (like Reds Fans during day games) will find ways to make the games--especially playoff games.

It's kinda close-minded to think that I'll stay up until 1AM EST just to see the finish (especially when I have to be at work at 7AM). That's ludicrous. The NBA should meet their Eastern Fans halfway--meaning having the games on earlier.

As much as I hate ghettoball, last nights game was kind of a return to the good old days of the NBA! I could almost see Jordan, Barkley, Jabbar, Bird, Thomas, McHale, Johnson etc, etc, etc applauding an entertaining game.

If they keep this up, I may return to watching regularly, although I see this series as the finals, 'cause the East cannot compete with the West, at least not now. :o

Last night was one of the greatest endings to a basketball game in 10 years.

Yeah, whatever. I have a tremendous fear that Fischer's shot will now get replayed time and time again year after year just like Christian Laettner's shot against Kentucky. Now David Stern, who's already in bed with Lakers, will have another Lakers highlight to shove down our throats. Just wait until next year, and all through the 2005 playoffs, we will see this shot over and over again everywhere we look. Of course, it doesn't really matter since Stern tries to sell the NBA as the Lakes and a some other generic teams. The man has no concept of a league. It's all Lakers all the time. And it makes me sick. Crap like that is what's killing the NBA. There's no value on competition -- it's all about flashy individuals, especially when they wear purple and gold. I'd guarentee you that Stern would like plaster the Lakers all over the place even if they had a record worse than the Clippers.

Anyway, back to the game. The game was a good game. Was it a great game? No. It was only the last few minutes that made things interesting. Overall, it was not a game to remember by either team. That's another problem with the NBA -- there don't seem to be any great games from beginning to end. There were a couple lucky shots at end that made for an amazing ending, but it was not an amazing game or even that good of a game. And the second lucky shot was even luckier than the first since it happened after time expired. (Technically, it was in time, but only because the ref didn't start the clock on time.)

Of course, it doesn't really matter since Stern tries to sell the NBA as the Lakes and a some other generic teams. The man has no concept of a league. It's all Lakers all the time. And it makes me sick. Crap like that is what's killing the NBA. There's no value on competition -- it's all about flashy individuals, especially when they wear purple and gold. I'd guarentee you that Stern would like plaster the Lakers all over the place even if they had a record worse than the Clippers.

Stern is an absolute moron. He is the reason basketball has declining numbers in all areas, ratings attendance....He promotes individuals, not teams, unless it's the lakers.....It's just plain dumb....He has shot the league in it's foot....

Yeah, whatever. I have a tremendous fear that Fischer's shot will now get replayed time and time again year after year just like Christian Laettner's shot against Kentucky. Now David Stern, who's already in bed with Lakers, will have another Lakers highlight to shove down our throats. Just wait until next year, and all through the 2005 playoffs, we will see this shot over and over again everywhere we look. Of course, it doesn't really matter since Stern tries to sell the NBA as the Lakes and a some other generic teams. The man has no concept of a league. It's all Lakers all the time. And it makes me sick. Crap like that is what's killing the NBA. There's no value on competition -- it's all about flashy individuals, especially when they wear purple and gold. I'd guarentee you that Stern would like plaster the Lakers all over the place even if they had a record worse than the Clippers.

Anyway, back to the game. The game was a good game. Was it a great game? No. It was only the last few minutes that made things interesting. Overall, it was not a game to remember by either team. That's another problem with the NBA -- there don't seem to be any great games from beginning to end. There were a couple lucky shots at end that made for an amazing ending, but it was not an amazing game or even that good of a game. And the second lucky shot was even luckier than the first since it happened after time expired. (Technically, it was in time, but only because the ref didn't start the clock on time.)

Is UK a spurs fan by any chance? B)

A Spurs fan? What would ever make you think that? Just because I happen to have "San Antonio" in my name on these boards doesn't mean anything. :P

I am a big Spurs fan. The Spurs are the only professional sports team in this city, so it's a big deal around these parts. And the Lakers are the most hated rival of all other teams (including Dallas and Houston). But, we'll win game 6 and come back to San Antonio for game 7.

Is UK a spurs fan by any chance? B)

I wouldn't think he is--UK sees the NBA as it is--a defunct product. The NBA (aka David Stern) makes the stupid move of marketing individuals like Kobe Bryant, Melo, and Bron Bron. Look what happens when the NBA's Golden Boys get into trouble like Kobe did in Colorado?!?!?!? Then all the endorsements go down the drain.

So, what happens when Bron Bron's Gansta' Mom's Boyfriend gets his ass into hot water--then what???

I agree with you, UK--the overall game wasn't ALL THAT. Either team didn't shoot that well. Both teams' foul shooting was horrid. If both teams hit their foul shots, then they might have scored over 100 points for the game.

The final quarter of that game is what made it very interesting--and yeah, I do believe you'll see that Fisher highlight at the end until it makes you puke.

good. I hope they shove that shot down your throats like they did horry missing the shot last year vs the spurs. All great shots are played over and over, Jordan vs the cavs, horry vs the kings, etc. The game was a very good game. Good defense made it low scoring. The lakers controlled the game for 3 quarters and then got winded and the spurs made their patented 4th quarter comeback. It wasnt a good game to you because you were losing the whole time. Both teams played well, Ginobli, and Brown played amazing for the spurs. George played amazing for the lakers. And the end was the best ending in 10 years. 3 game winners in 11 seconds?? When has a game had that recently??????

And the lakers are marketable, the team, the history, and the players. NO other team has that in the NBA...thats why they market them more. The spurs have a player, i love how they are pushing parker higher than he really is. Hes done so awesome for u since game 2!!!!! And u wonder why the spurs arent americas team.

And LOL at your lil remark about it being after the clock and they didnt start it in time. Typical loser philosophy. Im glad the spurs filed a grievance or whatever, all it did was crush their hearts and now we are gonna rip it out of their chest on saturday. Lakers in 6 baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

NO other team has that in the NBA...

One team does not a league make. It's all about competition, and it's all about gone in the NBA. David Stern MUST address this before the game implodes. In the late '70's, and up to the early '90's, that was how the NBA rose to it's prominence. Sadly it fallen into the mess it finds itself in now. Barely keeping ahead of hockey in the television ratings.

im not disagreeing with u billy, but they are gonna promote what they can, and the lakers are promotable. They try to build the NBA up but the east hasnt won a finals since jordan and wont until they get some centers over there. Hopefully Okafor goes to the east.

im not disagreeing with u billy, but they are gonna promote what they can, and the lakers are promotable.  They try to build the NBA up but the east hasnt won a finals since jordan and wont until they get some centers over there.  Hopefully Okafor goes to the east.

If I were going to Vegas I'd take the odds with Detroit this year. :P

I hope they win tonight. :rolleyes:

WOW! :wacko:

This is a game! :blink:

im not disagreeing with u billy, but they are gonna promote what they can, and the lakers are promotable.  They try to build the NBA up but the east hasnt won a finals since jordan and wont until they get some centers over there.  Hopefully Okafor goes to the east.

If I were going to Vegas I'd take the odds with Detroit this year. :P

I hope they win tonight. :rolleyes:

WOW! :wacko:

This is a game! :blink:

With the East being as weak as it is--that's a bad bet. If I were you, Richmond--I would be making a solid bet with a Team in the West.

Spurs or Lakers would be real solid bets.

The East is like the West's Minor League.

Laker-boy, you only think that the game was a good game because the Lakers won. For a game to be a good game, it has be good all the way through -- beginning to end; one crazy quarter does not a good game make. I mean, there was nothing that stood out about the first three quarters of the game that made it remotely memorable. It wasn't like it was a close game or going back and forth. The Lakers were ahead and they stayed ahead. There's nothing memorable about that. You can say that it was a good comeback by the Spurs or that it was a good ending, but the rest of the game wasn't particularly interesting.

Oh, the Lakers got winded? So, it wasn't anything the Spurs were doing at the time. Very typical Lakers philosophy. You Laker fans can never admit that another team did better than you whether it's in a quarter or in an entire game. You can never say that someone else did better than you; it's always an excuse after excuse. Winded? C'mon. Surely the mighty Lakers should have at least a couple players that can run up and down the court for 48 minutes. Or maybe actually have some bench players. It's always an excuse -- winded. Please. There's this thing called conditioning -- all the other teams in the league have heard of it.

It's true. Stern markets the Lakers and not the rest of the NBA. Maybe, just maybe, if he attempted to market other teams and attempted to put teams into a position to build a history of their own, the NBA wouldn't be the crappiest league of all professional sports. As it is, Stern is killing the league -- poisoning it with purple and gold.

Parker higher than he really is? Going to back up that statement with anything? Oh, wait, I forgot, you're a Lakers fan, and we all know that Lakers fans like to boast loudly with nothing behind it. Maybe if you actually watched basketball with half a brain, you'd realize that Parker is one of the premier point guards in the league.

Typical loser philosophy. Yeah, whatever. The issue was only settled today and the ruling was that the shot went in. So, the Lakers won. Okay. So what? I know they reviewed the shot at the game, but the Spurs filed a grievance. I'm never going to give up on my team until the win or defeat is official. And it wasn't official earlier.

Of course, it doesn't matter since we are going to L.A. and win... and win big. You L.A. fans think the series is over. Everything I've seen come from the west coast has been about how L.A. will win game 6 blah blah blah. A tad bit overconfident? But that's typical of L.A. The Spurs are ready to play, but L.A. will revert to their cocky, overconfident, pompous selves and lose. Spurs in 7!

Obviously your definition of a good game is different than mine. It was a good game throughout just because it was game 5 of a series that pits 2 rivals, and everyone knew the spurs would make their run, thats why the whole game was interesting.

Winded yes. It was pretty much just kobe down the stretch but as you know, thats who we turn to in the 4th quarter, and thats who our offense runs through. Even winded we still beat u, so your conditioning theory can be put on hold, and mb the spurs will come out in better shape next year with a few extra weeks to recover. :lol:

Premier point gaurds? I doubt it. Hes not even top 5. They were hyping him as a premier point gaurd blah blah blah but he sure silenced that with his pathetic game play the past 3 games.

The issue was settled on thursday night right when fisher hit that shot. The grievance was a pathetic attempt to silence the thunder.

Why wouldnt we be confident. We have won 3 straight over a team that couldnt be beat. We obviously have found a way to beat them and now we are going home, where we thrashed u in game 3 and then took your blows and still beat u in game 4. What do you even have left?

But i do think if it goes 7 it will be your series...but odds on it going seven is slim and none pal B)

Being a Laker fan with so many "laker-haters" feels pretty damn good. I told people a week ago that the Lakers would win the next 4 straight after going down 0-2. The Spurs are just like the Kings, they have no heart ! When Shaq and Kobe start exerting their will, all of those teams simply hold on hoping they don't beat them, right when guys like Fischer, Horry etc. hit game winners !

- Kings are now trying to play like the old Pistons of the late 80's with a lot of cheap shots, and dirty play, which is why I hope the Timberwolves beat them in game 7.

Just because I couldn't get online over the weekend everyone assumes that I ran away from this discussion. Please. You make me laugh. Did you really think that I'd disappear just because the season is over? If I can stand by the Bengals for years and years of losing and ineptitude, surely I can still stand by a team that made it into the second round of the playoffs. When it all comes down to it, it was a good season. There were several bumps along the way considering that this team only had a few players kept over from last season -- how can it be that bad of a year when you reach the second round of the playoffs in a rebuilding year? We have a bunch of young talent who will only get better and a two-time MVP. It's hard to bet against us in the coming years. Unlike the Lakers, we don't have a team full of old guys who will need walkers by next season.

Oh, and by the way, the Lakers still suck.

To help the NBA game, they need to either get rid of the three point line or move it in. The reason NBA games have become unwatchable is because so few players are able to hit a normal jump shot. Perhaps, if the line was moved in, we would at least have fewer misses from three point land.