Who can the Bengals cut to take the CJ hit?

walzav29

To me, watching Rudi last year, even when healthy, he has lost what little lateral first-cut ability he had. I think he now has one technique:

1. Get ball

2. slow down

3. shuffle feet and stand upright

4. indecisively run into O-lineman of choice

5. move laterally to outside/switch direction

6. be tackled for -3 yards.

I'd like to see the stat on how many runs Rudi had that went for a loss. That would be a telling statistic. The times when Rudi went for 6+ yards were when there was a hole that ANYONE could have run 6+ yards.

I think you're right. Injury doesn't explain the tentativeness and indecision that was on display last season. And I don't buy the o-line excuse, either -- Watson and D3 seemed to run effectively. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I fear Rudi is done.

To me, watching Rudi last year, even when healthy, he has lost what little lateral first-cut ability he had. I think he now has one technique:

1. Get ball

2. slow down

I'd like to see the stat on how many runs Rudi had that went for a loss. That would be a telling statistic. The times when Rudi went for 6+ yards were when there was a hole that ANYONE could have run 6+ yards.

I think you're right. Injury doesn't explain the tentativeness and indecision that was on display last season. And I don't buy the o-line excuse, either -- Watson and D3 seemed to run effectively. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I fear Rudi is done.

I agree. I don't buy the o-line excuses everyone seems to be throwing out there, not when Watson averaged close to 4 ypc. Were there some porblems on the o-line due to injury, sure. But the whole notion that the running game was ineffective because the o-line has gone south is incorrect.

1. Get ball

2. slow down

I agree. I don't buy the o-line excuses everyone seems to be throwing out there, not when Watson averaged close to 4 ypc. Were there some porblems on the o-line due to injury, sure. But the whole notion that the running game was ineffective because the o-line has gone south is incorrect.

I don't think Marvin is buying it either. He's mentioned that the running game didn't work. Carson has too in the recent past. The team isn't changing its OLine, only one other place to make changes. RB

Perry is unreliable.

Irons may not play till October, November after rehabbing an awful knee injury

Rudi has two years of declining productivity

Kenny is 31+

DeDe is not a starter.

Could easily see a RB taken in round 1 or round 2. Easily. If Ellis, Dorsey and Clady are gone I'd consider an RB right away.

Could easily see a RB taken in round 1 or round 2. Easily. If Ellis, Dorsey and Clady are gone I'd consider an RB right away.

it makes me sick to my stomach to think it is possible but it is looking like it might happen. I think there are PLENTY of decent RB options very far down in the list that make taking one in r1/r2 a waste but I concede they might just do it.

perhaps getting value for Rudi is another option....who wants to start, what would surely be unpopular, the "Trade Rudi" thread?

some of rudi's problem, i believe is fans and the media ragging him about not busting off long runs. so what did rudi do? rudi went out lost weight and tried to be something he is not. rudi is a pure downhill rb nothing else. he is at his best when he gets the ball and just smashes the whole. rudi does not have the agility or the extra gear to make people miss. he needs to get back to what made him susessful, get back up to 220-225 pounds and get back to the brusier he is and, not the scat back he tried to be. the injury did play a big part but, so did not having willie playing. without willie the bengals just don't run the ball very well at all. kinda makes you wonder?, why again did we pay stacy all that money?

some of rudi's problem, i believe is fans and the media ragging him about not busting off long runs. so what did rudi do? rudi went out lost weight and tried to be something he is not. rudi is a pure downhill rb nothing else. he is at his best when he gets the ball and just smashes the whole. rudi does not have the agility or the extra gear to make people miss. he needs to get back to what made him susessful, get back up to 220-225 pounds and get back to the brusier he is and, not the scat back he tried to be. the injury did play a big part but, so did not having willie playing. without willie the bengals just don't run the ball very well at all. kinda makes you wonder?, why again did we pay stacy all that money?

I don't think Rudi messed with his body because of the idiots paid to write for the media. or talk for the media. I think the fans mean more to Rudi and what athlete makes a decision based upon "fan" thoughts?

Rudi has 2 years of declining productivity, there aren't too many 30+ year old RB's playing like they did at 25 and Rudi will be 29 this October. Even if he has a bounce back year and cracks 1000 yards, the Bengals need to start finding his replacement in the draft, either this year or the next. The fact that he was a 4th round pick means they can find one in most rounds of the draft. Ideally I'd like them to get the best DT in the draft at #9. Or the best OT. Before Stewart got hurt, he looked fine at #9. Mendenhall would instantly recharge the offense, with or without Chad. McFadden is probably too radioactive for the Bengals, but he can stretch a D.

I don't think Rudi messed with his body because of the idiots paid to write for the media. or talk for the media. I think the fans mean more to Rudi and what athlete makes a decision based upon "fan" thoughts?

Rudi has 2 years of declining productivity, there aren't too many 30+ year old RB's playing like they did at 25 and Rudi will be 29 this October. Even if he has a bounce back year and cracks 1000 yards, the Bengals need to start finding his replacement in the draft, either this year or the next. The fact that he was a 4th round pick means they can find one in most rounds of the draft. Ideally I'd like them to get the best DT in the draft at #9. Or the best OT. Before Stewart got hurt, he looked fine at #9. Mendenhall would instantly recharge the offense, with or without Chad. McFadden is probably too radioactive for the Bengals, but he can stretch a D.

I liken this to Curtis Martin and Shaun Alexander, injuries aside. Guys wear out.

Martin declined pretty quick, from being a very reliable RB to barely able to hit the hole before being mid-tackle.

Alexander, same deal. From NFL MVP to retread, or at least a shell of his former self and ability. Sad but this is what happens.

I agree with the assertion that he should get some more mass and be a hammer. It will increase the rate of wear but giving the scat-back route a try showed he just does not have the skill.