Interesting Fanene Note

rwalling

That said, I've seen drafts like this one before and as odd as it might sound I've watched them shake out to both extremes, where there's almost no trade activity at all due to so many players being almost equally ranked OR a stunning amount of trades being made by teams who lock onto one player above all others who may be comparably ranked.

Yeah, this draft is a hard one to judge regarding potential trade activity. My sense is that there are some potential trades if certain players slip. For example, Jerry Jones told a Fort Worth Star-Telegram writer that there was no way in hell he would trade up into the top 5 to get McFadden because the cost of a guy busting there was "crippling." But when the guy prodded him, what if McFadden fell to 10th or 11th, Jerry allowed that he might change his mind. So if McFadden falls, that Dallas'-two-firsts-for-ours scenario you brought up a while back could become more than wishful thinking. But, of course, McFadden likely goes in the top 5-6 picks.

I also think there is a very real chance that, if Ellis or Dorsey slips past the 6 spot, New Orleans will look to move up a couple spots and snag them ahead of us. Especially if Ryan is gone and Baltimore is looking at corner; it's not as if we're going to take one, and the Ravens get to shaft the Bengals to boot.

As for the Bengals, if a team like Detroit or Tennessee gets the hots for Mendenhall, I could see a deal going down. But unlike DD I just don't see anyone anxious to leap up to grab a Rivers or a Rogers-Cromartie or even a Clady. The one possible wild card is Virginia tackle Brandon Albert, who's shooting up some draft boards right now (draftnik Al Fronczak over at eastcoastsportsnews.com has Detroit actually trading up into the 11 hole to grab him).

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on team needs of course. Rivers can only play WLB while Connor can possibly play all 3 positions, though probably not as well at WLB as Rivers.

Not accurate. Rivers has fairly extensive experience playing all three LB positions for USC, and on rare occasions even lined up with his hand on the ground in a designated pass rush role. He could very easily do each of these things in the NFL if that's what a team was looking for. In fact, I'd say the only reason he's considered primarily a WLB prospect is because he's an ideal fit there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rivers go first but also not shocked if Connor goes first.

I'd be willing to eat a bug if Conners was selected before Rivers.

The one possible wild card is Virginia tackle Brandon Albert, who's shooting up some draft boards right now (draftnik Al Fronczak over at eastcoastsportsnews.com has Detroit actually trading up into the 11 hole to grab him).

I thought he projected out to be a guard?!? I don't think a guard's been in the top 20 in many moons.

I just don't see anyone anxious to leap up to grab a Rivers or a Rogers-Cromartie or even a Clady

I agree Rivers won't be enough for someone to move up into the top 10. Maybe up to 15 - 18.

If the Pats & another team go CB, there will be just 1 press corner left, & the Saints (and others) need one badly. The other corners are cover-2 guys (Talib) or too short.

Carolina apparently has a man-crush on Ryan Clady, who might be the best LT this year.

In short, it's gonna be exciting. we should probably have a draft party Friday April 24th, (undoubtedly followed by a hangover and / or a suicide pact, depending on Marvin's moves.) We could bet huge quantities of BZ beans on who's the next pick and where's the trades !!

The one possible wild card is Virginia tackle Brandon Albert, who's shooting up some draft boards right now (draftnik Al Fronczak over at eastcoastsportsnews.com has Detroit actually trading up into the 11 hole to grab him).

I thought he projected out to be a guard?!? I don't think a guard's been in the top 20 in many moons.

6-7, 315, where you gonna play him? Think heftier Steinbach. And remember, Steiny was supposed to go mid-first, but that idiot in Cleveland, Butch Davis, took Faine.

Do any of you guys think the shortened early rounds (or is it only the first?) will have a major impact on the # of deals we see done on draft day?

I'm glad you brought this up Eric. My view is that it was done with the intent of curtailing such activity. IMHO they want this to be more viewer friendly, and want this draft to roll along the lines of the major mocks.

I thought they did it just cause the first round lasted something like six hours last year. Day one didn't end til like 10 o'clock, right?

And with that late ending time, did not commercial revenues follow? :blink: '

If you're going to say the NFL doesn't want more money in any way possible, you may be preaching to a deaf choir.

6-7, 315, where you gonna play him? Think heftier Steinbach. And remember, Steiny was supposed to go mid-first, but that idiot in Cleveland, Butch Davis, took Faine.

Charlie Casserly was talking about Albert the other day on the NFL Network. Amongst the things he claimed is Albert played inside at Virginia largely because that team had other options who could play OT, but few who could play OG at a high level. Casserly went on to claim Alberts ability to play OLT is unquestioned though he may need a season to adjust, and he's ranked as the 2nd best OT on many teams draft boards due to his superior footwork, movement skills, and incredibly long arms.

Earlier in these posts, you guys made some very interesting points about whether the Bengals were 1-2 players away from a Super Bowl, or were we a multitude of players away from being a perennial playoff team.

- Okay here's my chime'-in.

WE ARE A MULTITUDE OF PLAYERS AWAY !!!! - WE ARE REBUILDING !!!! - BUT THERE IS HOPE !!!

1. Losing everyone,('cept Palmer) from the 2003 and 2004 drafts has hurt us dearly. There's no depth ! At All. Anyone on this board could see that going into the '05 season and '06 ( with the thought that O'Dell and Henry's Suspensions wouldn't have been as long as they were), that we were a talented and a very deep team throughout the roster.

- Well we have to get that back. - One Guy isn't going to fix our problems.

2. - Chad Johnson wasn't Lying! - He made a good point back in January. He said " How does a team go from 11-5, and a division winner to 7-9 and rebuilding in 2 years?" - He's right on the money. The reasons are, too many drafted players leaving, too many injuries, and having to find guys off the street ( i.e. 2000 and 2001) that didn't even have NFL jobs to play and start !

3. - Every team needs Good- HEALTH to make a playoff run, and a SuperBowl run. Maybe Pollack comes back, Maybe he doesn't . But He showed real promise towards the end of '05 and the start of '06. Ahmad Brooks if healthy is a physical specimen. If Healthy, once his LB intelligence catches up to his body, he could be special. O'Dell is our best linebacker period. - He's just an arse-whole weed/drunk. If he's clean, He's a ProBowler and should've been in '05.

* Why am I optimistic for the '08 season.

- I'm hopeful that with all the aggression Cincinnati has showed in Free Agency to fill needs, they will take the best approach at filling numerous roster spots through this draft. Brandon Johnson/Derrick Blaylock/Manning/Mays/Maxwell/ etc. etc. are tackling DUMMIES. WE need 2 linebackers out of this draft early to remove them all from the roster.

- We need another pass rusher/ and we need 2 solid defensive tackles at a pretty deep position this year.

ONE - wide receiver / punt and kick returner. ONE Center to push Ghiuciuc or replace him . And a Guard / Tackle or both to groom to eventually replace the age on the offensive line.

- And for the life of me we need more secondary help ! Joseph and Hall are fine, but O'Neal and White need competition that's not on our roster.

With 9-10 guaranteed draft picks, we can fill these needs. We can trade down to get those " true - core " players found in rounds 2 - 4.

I like Sedrick Ellis, But I think he's maxxed out. I think drafting him, we'll get a very good football player. But I think Pat Sims will eclipse him in time. I think he's going up and will only get better.

Maybe we're healthy this year,Maybe our defense improves,Maybe we even runblock and run better/ and Hell maybe NOT.

But we will be 10-6 or better.

:cheers::bengal:

FWIW, PFW says the Panthers are eyeing Mendenhall at 13...Carolina has 2 third-round picks (Nos. 4 and 11 in the round) and the second one is just the right value to pop up from 13 to 9.

We hear Panthers officials were on hand for a private workout by Illinois RB Rashard Mendenhall on March 27 and will consider taking him with the 13th pick in April’s draft. The thickly built Mendenhall, who is rated by PFW as the third-best running back available behind Darren McFadden and Jonathan Stewart, would be paired with DeAngelo Williams, who is more of a speed back, in Carolina’s backfield.

I agree. But I also believe that -- again assuming that all the defensive blue-chippers are gone -- it wouldn't be all that difficult for a team that wanted Mendenhall to get them to trade out of the spot.

Yeah, I get that. But IMHO the exact same things that make trading down a smart option for the Bengals make it unlikely any team will want to trade up into their spot. Simply put, my gut tells me that some of you are imagining trading partners who won't exist.

That said, I've seen drafts like this one before and as odd as it might sound I've watched them shake out to both extremes, where there's almost no trade activity at all due to so many players being almost equally ranked OR a stunning amount of trades being made by teams who lock onto one player above all others who may be comparably ranked.

Do any of you guys think the shortened early rounds (or is it only the first?) will have a major impact on the # of deals we see done on draft day?

I would think so. Teams won't have time to orchistrate deals and will be more likely to reach to fill a need, increasing the chances for a team like the Bengals, who have so many holes to fill, to both fill needs and get value with BPA.

At least, that's how I choose to see things through my orange and black lenses! B)

I have to post this replay to chrishcovqa:

Ahmad Brooks, one of the most talented LBers in football.

Odell Thurman, one of the most talented LBers in football.

David Pollack, one of the most talented LBers in football.

The Bengals Need 1 of these guys to come back and play to form. They are all VERY young. as I posted my mock I was lamenting the fact that I didn't draft a single Linebacker but when I reviewed the prospects I had another guy graded out as a far superior prospect.

ALL of the LBers in this draft have significant issues with the exception of Dan Connor and Quentin Groves both of whom will be long gone by #46 and neither of whom are worth #9. Rivers would be a great pick in the second but he is a bust pick in the first because of the other talent you would pass up to get him. Beau Bell is an interesting prospect but other than that I don't see a single Linebacker worth picking from 3-7 and Bell is likely gone in the late 2nd. Adibi or Bell is certainly a possibility in the second but neither player is a slam dunk and I believe the player I have drafted in the second bears more immediate returns.

So, here is my thoughts on the state of the linebacker position. Either Brooks or Thurman will man the MLB position, I like Jeanty as SOLB but I like Pollack more. I think Blaylock could be a steal as an WOLB, he didn't fit at that position in Arizona because of their scheme but he is a good young prospect. Jones fills in as a backup at either MLB or WOLB. Remember, we lost Brooks, Thurman, Pollack, Jeanty, and Miller (RIP) for significant time last year the odds of that happening again this year? The Bengals have depth, talent, and youth at the LBer position and I guess we just have to hope that we won't lose 5 players this year.

The Bengals Need 1 of these guys to come back and play to form.

Actually we need at least two of them to realize their potential.

All three would be optimum.

Actually we need three of the following:

Rashad Jeanty

David Pollack

Ahmad Brooks

Odell Thurman

Darryl Blackstock

Brandon Johnson

Kyries Hebert

Eric Henderson

Remember that Hebert was one of the highest paid defensive players in CFL history before the Bengals lured him into the NFL and at 6'3" 220 lbs he could easily find himself at WOLB. 3 out of 8 ain't bad odds, every guy this list is younger than 27 years old.

As far as Blackstock and Johnson being scrubs, let me remind you that these guys were the second string OLBers on a defense that was ninth in the NFL against the run and 13th in sacks. They were behind Pace (6 year $42 million with the Jets) and Dansby (Arizona's Franchise Player @ $8.065 million per year) and Arizona could not afford to tender either one because of cap issues not because they didn't want to keep them.

The Bengals Need 1 of these guys to come back and play to form. They are all VERY young. as I posted my mock I was lamenting the fact that I didn't draft a single Linebacker but when I reviewed the prospects I had another guy graded out as a far superior prospect.

ALL of the LBers in this draft have significant issues with the exception of Dan Connor and Quentin Groves both of whom will be long gone by #46 and neither of whom are worth #9. Rivers would be a great pick in the second but he is a bust pick in the first because of the other talent you would pass up to get him. Beau Bell is an interesting prospect but other than that I don't see a single Linebacker worth picking from 3-7 and Bell is likely gone in the late 2nd. Adibi or Bell is certainly a possibility in the second but neither player is a slam dunk and I believe the player I have drafted in the second bears more immediate returns.

So, here is my thoughts on the state of the linebacker position. Either Brooks or Thurman will man the MLB position, I like Jeanty as SOLB but I like Pollack more. I think Blaylock could be a steal as an WOLB, he didn't fit at that position in Arizona because of their scheme but he is a good young prospect. Jones fills in as a backup at either MLB or WOLB. Remember, we lost Brooks, Thurman, Pollack, Jeanty, and Miller (RIP) for significant time last year the odds of that happening again this year? The Bengals have depth, talent, and youth at the LBer position and I guess we just have to hope that we won't lose 5 players this year.

What makes this post dedicated to me ?? :lol:

-Ahmad Brooks is an incredible athlete. I don't think his football IQ has caught up to his athleticism, but his learning curve has been set back because he's been injured.

-O'Dell Thurman is our best linebacker. - Everything you want in a linebacker, he's got it. Instincts, tenacity, attitude, solid tackling and playmaking ability! - But like most genius', they're just a marble or two away from being insane. O'Dell's marbles have been alcohol and weed!

- I thought David Pollack was the best ( pound for pound ) football player in the '05 draft. - Anyone remember the top 32 I did with one hour 'till the '05 draft ?? I had Pollack as # 1 and Thurman at # 32. - Don't be lie eve me, check it out. I never really agreed with changing him from a defensive end into a linebacker, especially since we weren't running a 3-4. I hope he comes back, but I'm personally leaning towards him enjoying a healthy long life away from the football field.

Either way, If O'Dell is re-instated, then he's our starting MLB period. Move Brooks to the Strong Side, so he can pass rush and have his athleticism and speed work for us guarding the tight ends, Dhani Jones can start at weak side until a replacement is found either through our free agent signings or the draft.

What makes this post dedicated to me ?? :lol:

-Ahmad Brooks is an incredible athlete. I don't think his football IQ has caught up to his athleticism, but his learning curve has been set back because he's been injured.

-O'Dell Thurman is our best linebacker. - Everything you want in a linebacker, he's got it. Instincts, tenacity, attitude, solid tackling and playmaking ability! - But like most genius', they're just a marble or two away from being insane. O'Dell's marbles have been alcohol and weed!

- I thought David Pollack was the best ( pound for pound ) football player in the '05 draft. - Anyone remember the top 32 I did with one hour 'till the '05 draft ?? I had Pollack as # 1 and Thurman at # 32. - Don't be lie eve me, check it out. I never really agreed with changing him from a defensive end into a linebacker, especially since we weren't running a 3-4. I hope he comes back, but I'm personally leaning towards him enjoying a healthy long life away from the football field.

Either way, If O'Dell is re-instated, then he's our starting MLB period. Move Brooks to the Strong Side, so he can pass rush and have his athleticism and speed work for us guarding the tight ends, Dhani Jones can start at weak side until a replacement is found either through our free agent signings or the draft.

I have a question about Pollack. If he were to retire because of an injury would we recieve any compensation pick for him? I know this is normally reserved for players lost to free agency but when you lose a 1st round pick who was showing signifigant progress that should merit something.

I have a question about Pollack. If he were to retire because of an injury would we recieve any compensation pick for him? I know this is normally reserved for players lost to free agency but when you lose a 1st round pick who was showing signifigant progress that should merit something.

Sympathy from the kind-hearted, and rasberries from the rest.

Sympathy from the kind-hearted, and rasberries from the rest.

OK so is that a no?

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd dig up this thread from a month ago to see how you folks feel post-draft. One question I have: since we drafted two relatively well-regarded DTs and only one low-round (235 lb) DE, does Jonathan Fanene go on lettuce and celery from now until training camp? D'oh!