Interesting Fanene Note

rwalling

Our 1st Rd. pick is, in this order (Best available) LB, Safety, DE/DT.

I think you could argue that they will not even draft a safety this year, let alone in the 1st Rd. The top saftey in the draft is grading out at mid to late 1st Rd. so I would say its a wasted pick if the Bengals take Phillips at #9.

LB- maybe, but not Rivers.

DE- definitley not with all the money tied up there, although they could get one later in the draft.

DT- most assuredly if Ellis is there.

If Ellis or Dorsey are there, yeah, the Bengals will take a DT for sure. But, they won't be. So in turn, we're looking at LB or Safety as our #1 if we keep the #9 pick overall. We may trade our pick for a later pick... Most likely with the #9 pick we'll select a LB, but I wouldn't mind drafting the BEST safety, Phillips.

BTW, safties are arguably the best special teams players. WE have tremendous depth at Safety but not one STUD (White and Nduke have the potential. Maybe the Candian???)... It wouldn't hurt to grab one in the draft.

Oakland is supposedly shopping Michael Huff. He could be had for less than a first round pick and is a better player than Phillips. A second round pick would almost certainly be enough and perhaps less.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you could argue that they will not even draft a safety this year, let alone in the 1st Rd. The top saftey in the draft is grading out at mid to late 1st Rd. so I would say its a wasted pick if the Bengals take Phillips at #9.

DE- definitley not with all the money tied up there, although they could get one later in the draft.

If Ellis or Dorsey are there, yeah, the Bengals will take a DT for sure. But, they won't be. So in turn, we're looking at LB or Safety as our #1 if we keep the #9 pick overall. We may trade our pick for a later pick... Most likely with the #9 pick we'll select a LB, but I wouldn't mind drafting the BEST safety, Phillips.

BTW, safties are arguably the best special teams players. WE have tremendous depth at Safety but not one STUD (White and Nduke have the potential. Maybe the Candian???)... It wouldn't hurt to grab one in the draft.

Oakland is supposedly shopping Michael Huff. He could be had for less than a first round pick and is a better player than Phillips. A second round pick would almost certainly be enough and perhaps less.

At number 9, the best studs are at DT, RB or OL. Come on, wouldn't seeing Mendenhall, Stewart (if healthy) or McFadden in stripes do to your leg what Obama does to Chris Matthew's?

Actually I like were they are picking, lots of options, lots of good players that improve them now.

Why no love for Rivers?

Why no love for Rivers?

I like Rivers, but not at # 9. He's not a top ten player in this draft. If Ellis and Dorsey are gone at 9, trade down.

Since he was listed before at 295, I'm not sure "beefing up" five pounds is significant.

Seriously, one good dump and there goes the 5 lbs. So then I guess he's back to DE.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Why no love for Rivers?

He's a 230 lb linebacker incapable of fighting off NFL-caliber blockers (i.e Caleb Miller, Landon Johnson, etc) In the right system (Saints, Donkeys, Raiders, Titans, Jags) he'll do great - but Marvin needs his LBs to fight through blocks.

Since he was listed before at 295, I'm not sure "beefing up" five pounds is significant.

Seriously, one good dump and there goes the 5 lbs. So then I guess he's back to DE.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Why no love for Rivers?

He's a 230 lb linebacker incapable of fighting off NFL-caliber blockers (i.e Caleb Miller, Landon Johnson, etc) In the right system (Saints, Donkeys, Raiders, Titans, Jags) he'll do great - but Marvin needs his LBs to fight through blocks.

Yet the Bengals technically run a 4-3 so not sure why he wouldn't be a fit here? (ecspecially if a smallish LB like Odell is)

I also thought Rivers was at least 240?

IIRC, Rivers weighed in at 241 at the combine. I would be fine with him at 9. He isn't a big-play guy, but odds are that all the big-play guys will be gone, and the Bengals could just plug Rivers in on the weak side and (barring injury) forget about the position for the next 8-10 seasons.

I honestly think Rivers is overrated. I watched him quite a bit at USC (west coast TV) and he was anonymous for large stretches of the season. In all, it is a pretty weak LB class overall.

I'd prefer to grab LB's somewhere with our r2/3/4 picks, and target guys like Wheeler inside and Ezra Butler (sleeper) on the outside.

I honestly think Rivers is overrated. I watched him quite a bit at USC (west coast TV) and he was anonymous for large stretches of the season. In all, it is a pretty weak LB class overall.

I'd prefer to grab LB's somewhere with our r2/3/4 picks, and target guys like Wheeler inside and Ezra Butler (sleeper) on the outside.

Could be. All I'm saying is that, assuming all the blue-chip O and D linemen are gone, I wouldn't be upset if they took Rivers. I also wouldn't be upset if they passed on him.

Could be. All I'm saying is that, assuming all the blue-chip O and D linemen are gone, I wouldn't be upset if they took Rivers. I also wouldn't be upset if they passed on him.

I guess I just think 9 is a substantial reach. He would be a fine r2 pick, as he is not chopped liver by any means.

Anywhere in the top 10, I think you've got to get a starter (QB might be excluded) who can make an impact.

Someone above us will reach for a WR or RB, or even a QB. I think we will be grabbing someone who "dropped" (Ellis, Dorsey, Gholston, Clady) vs. taking someone who is a "reach" (Rivers, Merling, Harvey)

Someone above us will reach for a WR or RB, or even a QB. I think we will be grabbing someone who "dropped" (Ellis, Dorsey, Gholston, Clady) vs. taking someone who is a "reach" (Rivers, Merling, Harvey)

Maybe, but I'm not counting on anyone dropping. Possibly Clady, but I'm betting the Longs, Gholsten, Ellis, Dprsey and McFadden are all gone. If Clady's there he could be the pick -- if IMO they haven't gotten a long-term deal with Stacy. If they have, I have a sneaking suspicion the name you'll hear called is Rashard Mendenhall's.

Maybe, but I'm not counting on anyone dropping. Possibly Clady, but I'm betting the Longs, Gholsten, Ellis, Dprsey and McFadden are all gone. If Clady's there he could be the pick -- if IMO they haven't gotten a long-term deal with Stacy. If they have, I have a sneaking suspicion the name you'll hear called is Rashard Mendenhall's.

it really does seem to fall-off, huh?

dammit, trading down gets more and more attractive...but we need a willing victim.

dammit, trading down gets more and more attractive...but we need a willing victim.

The one guy I could see 1. slipping to the 9 spot and 2. who the Bengals woudn't take, is Matt Ryan. I have this pipe dream that Atlanta doesn't like him enough to take him at 3 (they take either Jake Long or Dorsey, depending on who the Rams let through), but does like him enough to package their three second round picks (3rd, 6th and 17th in the second, I believe) for the 9 and our 4th and 5th round selections. Then we sweep up something like DT Pat Sims, WR Early Doucet, LB Dan Connor and either a wideout or corner who's a return guy in round 2. Like I said, pipe dream...

The one guy I could see 1. slipping to the 9 spot and 2. who the Bengals woudn't take, is Matt Ryan. I have this pipe dream that Atlanta doesn't like him enough to take him at 3 (they take either Jake Long or Dorsey, depending on who the Rams let through), but does like him enough to package their three second round picks (3rd, 6th and 17th in the second, I believe) for the 9 and our 4th and 5th round selections. Then we sweep up something like DT Pat Sims, WR Early Doucet, LB Dan Connor and either a wideout or corner who's a return guy in round 2. Like I said, pipe dream...

Yup, I've had my fingers crossed for that scenario for some time now. Find some sucker to give us a Brady Quinn deal.

Yup, I've had my fingers crossed for that scenario for some time now. Find some sucker to give us a Brady Quinn deal.

BUF

CAR

CHI

Maybe MIN?

all HAVE to be considering QB if Ryan falls and we are on the clock. Building hype that BUF is looking at him could cause a CAR or CHI to want to move up....still hard to find realistic.

Key is someone ahead of us taking one of the CB's...then someone will drop. After today's workout at LSU, is that Dorsey????

Key is someone ahead of us taking one of the CB's...then someone will drop. After today's workout at LSU, is that Dorsey????

Dorsey's workout was fine. I would estimate his chances of dropping to 9 as roughly 0%.

Re Ryan, espn's Mosley had this nugget in his Hashmarks blog today...

The Miami Dolphins are the most tight-lipped organization in football right now. Bill Parcells broke his silence to say a few words to New York Daily News columnist Gary Myers last week, but it wasn't anything particularly revealing. The Dolphins would prefer trading out of the pick, but they won't find a willing partner. I have Miami choosing Virginia defensive end Chris Long right now, but Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan is still a strong possibility. I think Ryan has the intangibles that Parcells is looking for, and it wouldn't be the first time the former head coach drafted a quarterback No. 1 overall (Drew Bledsoe).

I'm told that Parcells has spent hours pouring over tape of Ryan and that he and GM Jeff Ireland have talked to pretty much anyone who's been associated with him. If the Dolphins can reach an agreement with Ryan before the draft, I think they take him. If not, they'll stick with Long.

I think if Clady and Long are gone at #5, the chiefs will take Matt Ryan or look to trade down; If this is the case, I think we have got to make the move at that time to trade up and get Dorsey or Ellis assuming they are still on the board at that time which I don't know if they will be or not with the way the draft's go. I am not in favor of trading down unless there is now stud DT there at 9. I don't like the idea of trading completely out of the first round either. I would want a first for our first, plus 2 seconds instead of 3 seconds. Just my opinion though.

I think if Clady and Long are gone at #5, the chiefs will take Matt Ryan or look to trade down; If this is the case, I think we have got to make the move at that time to trade up and get Dorsey or Ellis assuming they are still on the board at that time which I don't know if they will be or not with the way the draft's go. I am not in favor of trading down unless there is now stud DT there at 9. I don't like the idea of trading completely out of the first round either. I would want a first for our first, plus 2 seconds instead of 3 seconds. Just my opinion though.

Yeah, that would be an absolute joke! We trade a top 10 overall pick and don't even get a single 1st round pick in return? I would be pissed off beyond belief if the bengals were stupid enough to do that. Luckily, they are not.

Agreed. We need to go up. We need that defensive tackle, and there are two of them to be had. But we have to move up to get one. Proactive, bold action is required. Even if one of the 4 d linemen fall to like 7, anyone behind us who wants them is going to trade up in front of us. We've let our d line fall into such disrepair that our first pick is telegraphed to the whole league. Thus no one behind us will take a chance and wait. They know we'll pick 'em, and thus they'll jump ahead of us. Come on Bengals, don't be the lamb. Be the lion.

We need to go up. We need that defensive tackle

We've needed that/those defensive tackle/tackles ever since Marvin Lewis arrived in Cincy.

We've let our d line fall into such disrepair that our first pick is telegraphed to the whole league.

Ignore a GLARING problem as long as the Bengals front office has, and this is what you get.

Come on Bengals, don't be the lamb. Be the lion.

If we take anyone other than a top DT in the draft, we'll be right back in "Lambsville", population us. <_<

Yeah, that would be an absolute joke! We trade a top 10 overall pick and don't even get a single 1st round pick in return? I would be pissed off beyond belief if the bengals were stupid enough to do that. Luckily, they are not.

I wouldn't be bothered at all by trading completely out of the first this year. All the blue-chip types at positions the Bengals need look like they'll be off the board by 9, and this is a deep draft at DT, DE, LB and along the o-line. The caliber of player we could get at 9 isn't going to be much different than what we could snag high in the second.

Agreed. We need to go up. We need that defensive tackle, and there are two of them to be had. But we have to move up to get one. Proactive, bold action is required. Even if one of the 4 d linemen fall to like 7, anyone behind us who wants them is going to trade up in front of us. We've let our d line fall into such disrepair that our first pick is telegraphed to the whole league. Thus no one behind us will take a chance and wait. They know we'll pick 'em, and thus they'll jump ahead of us. Come on Bengals, don't be the lamb. Be the lion.

Count me in the lion camp. Use the extra picks to trade up ahead of the Ratbirds and get one of the stud DTs. They won't be there at 9. Guaranteed. Anything else you hear is pure posturing.