27 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Them...

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

C

Anything higher than that is delusional. I do give them credit, they were aggressive going after bigger names and somewhat better players to help this defense, just sucky on the execution because of a lack of a real general manager.

Somebody get one of those car dealers down at McCluskey Chevrolet to sell this team to prospective free agents ! Oh yeah, and know the little ins and outs of the CBA. ;)

B - with the specter of a lockout in 2011 or 2012, long term contracts should be kept to a minimum. Anyway, after Snyder in '05, '06' and '07 and Davis in '08 (not to mention the Brownies and Jets), have been spending big bucks on marginal "stars", keeping the team's wallet in their pocket makes sense to me.

Now if Haynesworth hadn't been franchised . . . .

Gave them a B, partly for results and partly for effort.

They did make a run at RObertson and Rogers, just did not work out.

Pulled in Odom, a young guy with decent upside to complement Geathers and "replace" Justin.

Pulled in Balckstock, another mid-grade LB who should be better than the cast-offs we signed during the 07' injury plague.

Utecht should be an upgrade to the TE spot, if only Brat learns how to use him properly.

snagged the other AZ LB, Brandon Johnson, as a young and skilled back-up.

Lest we forget the moves we've made internally.

- Lettng Justin walk, not worth the coin

- Letting Landon walk, give him a chance to go elsewhere

- Letting Tab walk, too risky for injury

- almost forgot letting Madieu walk....

- Signing Andrews

- Signing Dhani

- Signing Larson

All more thoughtful moves than we've seen in the past...recognizing who to keep and who to bid adieu.

All-in-all, far better effort anf results than we've come to expect. Except for being jammed in the AZZ by the Rogers deal, we've done better than average. Solid B in my book.

I gave 'em a B.

They had hard choices to make in regards to picking which player to tag, pretty much knowing they'd eventually lose any player they didn't tag. And sure enough, that's the way it played out. That said, Stacey Andrews not only looks to me like a better building block than Justin or Madieu would have been but should be more agreeable to signing a long-term deal.

I also think they've done about as well in regards to adding players from other teams as anyone could expect. Getting a starting DE through free agency is usually as rare as it is expensive and the Bengals have needed an upgrade at TE for longer than I care to remember.

That said, the grade isn't higher because I really wanted them to keep Landon Johnson if the cost was reasonable, and I'd say it was. Not that he'll be difficult to replace, but now you've got to do just that and I would have preferred a shopping list with one less item.

Gave 'em a B.

Missing out on Rogers, which probably wasn't our fault, was HUGE. He is considered the one of the TOP DT's in the league. Other teams must have 2 blockers accounting for him at all times. Rogers would've been the best FA pickup the Bengals have seen in a looooong time.

I like the moves we've made, but wish there was more (Rogers)... Letting Justin, Landon, and Madieu go will prove to be a good move. They were dead weight... If Odom wasnt' here as the replacement for Justin, we could've been a bad shape going into the draft and the score could've easily been a C or D.

I really like the Bengals moves in FA's. If we would've landed Rogers, you're looking a grade of A.

If Ellis and Dorsey are gone, I'm thinking the Bengals may be selecting Kenny Phillips at # 9 and a LB with the 2nd rd. pick.

Missing out on Rogers, which probably wasn't our fault, was HUGE. He is considered the one of the TOP DT's in the league. Other teams must have 2 blockers accounting for him at all times. Rogers would've been the best FA pickup the Bengals have seen in a looooong time.

Maybe. I can't really dog them for missing out on Rogers, tho. A week or two back, Curnutte reported that the Bengals were going to do what the Browns did with Rogers and give him a big new deal had he come here. Thus, it seems almost certain to me that if we had gotten Rogers, Antwan Odom is a Viking right now. And while getting a DT would have made the draft easier -- Dorsey and Ellis may be gone but Harvey and Merling likely won't -- I think I'd rather have a young, enthusiastic DE coming off an 8-sack year than a DT known at least some of the time as "Big Baby." But we'll see how it all works out.

Maybe I'm guilty of cutting things too fine, but IMHO Rogers doesn't belong in any conversation about free agency, as neither he or Robertson were ever free agents. Rogers was a veteran player who was traded for at the expense of multiple draft picks, Clevelands best CB, and two buttloads of cash.

That ain't free agency.

Maybe I'm guilty of cutting things too fine, but IMHO Rogers doesn't belong in any conversation about free agency, as neither he or Robertson were ever free agents. Rogers was a veteran player who was traded for at the expense of multiple draft picks, Clevelands best CB, and two buttloads of cash.

That ain't free agency.

Your right, its not Free Agency. Rodgers was traded. Generally speaking though, this is the Free Agency period, so it kinda fits.

I'm not so sure that if we were able to grab Rodgers, that Odom would've been sent to Minnesota?

Maybe. I can't really dog them for missing out on Rogers, tho. A week or two back, Curnutte reported that the Bengals were going to do what the Browns did with Rogers and give him a big new deal had he come here. Thus, it seems almost certain to me that if we had gotten Rogers, Antwan Odom is a Viking right now. And while getting a DT would have made the draft easier -- Dorsey and Ellis may be gone but Harvey and Merling likely won't -- I think I'd rather have a young, enthusiastic DE coming off an 8-sack year than a DT known at least some of the time as "Big Baby." But we'll see how it all works out.

I'm telling you man, my brother-in-law is from Detroit and he's a huge Lions fan. He always said Rodgers was the real deal and that If Cincinnati was able to land him, he would provide an instant impact. You seen the guy on SportsCenter last year during the first half of the season, he was unstopable. I remember the one highlight of him picking off a ball and returning it for like a 60yd TD... Rodgers is right there neck-and-neck with Haynesworth for #1 ranked DT in the NFL.

The Bengals really missed out, unfortunately. Rogers, with a new contract and new team will be a motivated, full head of steem freight train for Cleveland... I'm envious as hell considering the state that our D-Line is in. Hopefully Ellis or Dorsey slip down to #9. **crosses fingers**

Your right, its not Free Agency. Rodgers was traded. Generally speaking though, this is the Free Agency period, so it kinda fits.

I disagree. Cleveland not only traded away it's best CB but combined with the other TRADES they've made they'll now sit out the draft until teams are picking from fullbacks and centers.

It's not free agency. Not even close.

Furthermore, if you want to compare OFFSEASON grades you've got to wait a little bit longer. For example, as it stands right now the Bengals will draft at least five new players before the Browns make their first selection.

I disagree. Cleveland not only traded away it's best CB but combined with the other TRADES they've made they'll now sit out the draft until teams are picking from fullbacks and centers.

It's not free agency. Not even close.

Furthermore, if you want to compare OFFSEASON grades you've got to wait a little bit longer. For example, as it stands right now the Bengals will draft at least five new players before the Browns make their first selection.

Again, your right... I'll just say that "up until this point in the offseason", I give the Bengals a grade of B for the moves they've made. If we (Bengals) could have somehow landed Rodgers, the grade could've easily been an A

[He always said Rodgers was the real deal and that If Cincinnati was able to land him, he would provide an instant impact. You seen the guy on SportsCenter last year during the first half of the season, he was unstopable.

Yeah, then he turned into a worthless piece of poo for the second half of the season. Like I said, we'll see what happens in Cleveland. But I still believe that had we gotten him (or Robertson), we wouldn't have signed Odom. I'm perfectly satisfied with that signing, and only time will tell which move was better.

woah woah who voted A and B? A is pickin up Randy Moss for 4th round pick and B is pickin up that greenbay DT and shaun rogers..guys gotta go back to school! This years offseason so far has been C at best..i think you've all been bengal fans too long to realize that in the off season your trying to FILL the gaps you have in your tam lol and for the past few years we've done nothing (GRADE F) and now this year weve picked up a back up TE (don't get me wrong i like him) and a couple back up LB's and a DE who i think hasn't proven himself as of yet. So the grade sticks with 'C' no matter how you slice it.

woah woah who voted A and B? A is pickin up Randy Moss for 4th round pick and B is pickin up that greenbay DT and shaun rogers..guys gotta go back to school! This years offseason so far has been C at best..i think you've all been bengal fans too long to realize that in the off season your trying to FILL the gaps you have in your tam lol and for the past few years we've done nothing (GRADE F) and now this year weve picked up a back up TE (don't get me wrong i like him) and a couple back up LB's and a DE who i think hasn't proven himself as of yet. So the grade sticks with 'C' no matter how you slice it.

By just releasing the players we let go is enough for a grade of C without even replacing them. Madieu, L. Johnson and Smith were garbage. We emptied the trash!

woah woah who voted A and B? A is pickin up Randy Moss for 4th round pick and B is pickin up that greenbay DT and shaun rogers..guys gotta go back to school!

I suspect you've been held back in school a few times, right?

The thread asks for grades in free agency, not offseason grades or opinions about trades. And there's the rub because every example you've listed above are straight trades for players who were't free agents at the time they were dealt. Moss was traded for draft picks. The Packer DT was traded for multiple draft picks. And Rogers was traded for draft picks and a very good player.

Again, if you want to grade a teams entire offseason body of work you have to wait until the offseason is complete. Or at the very least until after the draft.

I was the A.

They got a starting DE for much less with what looks like more productivity than Justin Smith, two linebackers, one of whom looks like a starter, and it appears a starting TE.

I have no complaints.