Who would you call the defensive leader?

walzav29

Zimmer aint on the field. When they're gettin' drived on, Zimmer's not gonna be the one getting them to man up in the huddle. Saying that the leadership role is overrated is ridiculous.

Zimmer aint on the field. When they're gettin' drived on, Zimmer's not gonna be the one getting them to man up in the huddle. Saying that the leadership role is overrated is ridiculous.

Zimmer ain't on the field!?! That's utter bulls**t. His defensive play calling dictates what the defense DOES on every play! If that isn't ON THE FIELD, I don't know what is.

That's got nothing to do with it. He is not literally on the field. I don't know if you've ever played football, but the play call doesn't have s**t to do with having a leader in uniform, making a play when a big play is needed.

Zimmer ain't on the field!?! That's utter bulls**t. His defensive play calling dictates what the defense DOES on every play! If that isn't ON THE FIELD, I don't know what is.

Was that a smartass response??

What he's referring to is the Ray Lewis, John Lynch, and Michael Strahan type players. The guys who lead by example and whose personalities make everyone around them better players. David Pollack would have been that guy had he not gotten hurt but on the current roster the Bengals don't have that type of guy.

And no it can't be a coach. It's a guy on the field who commands the respect of everyone else in the huddle.

Was that a smartass response??

No it wasn't, but thanks for guessing. The point was Cincinnati HAS no defensive leader. If you were paying attention to what has transpired in the last decade or so you might have recognized this. At this point I'm laying this job on our new defensive coordinator because frankly nobody on the field is worthy of it.

John Thornton!?! Yeah...right. <_<

Completely agreed. If anything it's Dhani. The last true one we had was Krumrie, maybe Fulcher. Reggie Williams?

What the hell happened???? Paul come back!!!

Saying that the leadership role is overrated is ridiculous.

Really? If the only way to turn this defense around is your precious leader, then we are phucked. Zim has to change the face of the D by teaching them to attack.

Ridiculous? Ridiculous to me is throwing around names like Lott, Lambert, LT and Singletary and then trying to mix in the name John Thornton. That sir, is ridiculous.

Saying that the leadership role is overrated is ridiculous.

Really? If the only way to turn this defense around is your precious leader, then we are phucked. Zim has to change the face of the D by teaching them to attack.

Ridiculous? Ridiculous to me is throwing around names like Lott, Lambert, LT and Singletary and then trying to mix in the name John Thornton. That sir, is ridiculous.

I think the whole point is that the defense sucks because number one it lacks talent. And number two it lacks leadership in a major way. In fact the whole team pretty much lacks leadership on the field.

I don't think anyone here said John Thornton was the ideal candidate. I for one tasted puke in my mouth last year when they announced Thornton the captain. That just signified how bad the D was going to be last year given that was best choice they could come up with.

And it's not overrated in the least bit. In fact it is underrated. If you've ever played a sport in your life you'll know that there are some guys who have that presence that just makes you better. When you have a bad day it makes you feel awful for letting that individual down. They inspire you to be better because of the level of play and intangibles they have. If your best player is a crybaby it will bring down everyone elses level of play.

Coaches can prepare you and motivate you to practice hard. But when the whistle blows they can't be out there with you.

I actually agree with both of you. I truly believe Zimmer is going to be our defensive leader this year; but I also think we need a defensive leader on the field, an emotional type of leader who can pump the other guys up to make big plays or stops when needed. A guy who has great talent and the other guys respect, a guy who will go all out. I could see a guy like Joseph, Hall, Odom, or even dare I say Thurman fulfilling this role once Zimmer gets them to fulfill there talent.