We need to look at a RB in round 2

icehole3

Defense and the Oline are obviously the first priorities. But if a great player falls in your lap at the running back position you cant just pass on it. It's that kind of thinking that gets you Justin Smith over LaDainian Tomlinson.

I personally dont see one specific guy I would love to have in the top two rounds. I'm not a big McFadden fan. I love Jonathan Stewart and Mendenhall but not at number nine. There are guys that would be good pickups in the middle rounds though and if one of those guys is a great value then it'd be bad business to pass on him.

Defense and the Oline are obviously the first priorities. But if a great player falls in your lap at the running back position you cant just pass on it. It's that kind of thinking that gets you Justin Smith over LaDainian Tomlinson.

We could play the "Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda game all day long. What it boils down to right now is there are no holes for LaDainian, or any other reasonably good back to consistently run through. Build the line properly and a high school back will look like an all pro. Denver has been doing this for years with running backs. We can too.

We could play the "Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda game all day long. What it boils down to right now is there are no holes for LaDainian, or any other reasonably good back to consistently run through. Build the line properly and a high school back will look like an all pro. Denver has been doing this for years with running backs. We can too.

It's not really a coulda, woulda , shoulda. Everyone on earth knew LT was the superior talent but the Bengals took the need. You now see the end result today of what happens when you make those types of decisions.

That ideal scenario most likely won't come up again this year but if that superstar running back falls in your lap somewhere you are foolish to not take him.

Denver does it the same with the Olineman as well. They consistently take low round linemen some of whom played Tight end in college and mold them into strong players. It works for them but the Bengals dont run there system.

It's not really a coulda, woulda , shoulda. Everyone on earth knew LT was the superior talent but the Bengals took the need. You now see the end result today of what happens when you make those types of decisions.

That ideal scenario most likely won't come up again this year but if that superstar running back falls in your lap somewhere you are foolish to not take him.

Denver does it the same with the Olineman as well. They consistently take low round linemen some of whom played Tight end in college and mold them into strong players. It works for them but the Bengals dont run there system.

I say the Broncos are probably better at picking good linemen out of the draft than Mike Brown and Company has been. The key is being able to see it.

Could I? Doubtful. Could they? I would hope. It's their job for crissakes.

There is good RB value all the way down in r5-7. I'd take a guy like Tony Temple in r5 or r6 before I'd burn a high pick on these guys when we have desperate need for LB/DT/DE/OL depth.

Kenny, DeDe will be very productive if the OL is healthy. To think different is asinine.

this is a dumb thread.

Paraphrasing Marvin Lewis, he said the running game is busted and needs to be fixed. if they don't bring in new wide bodies on the OL, there is only one place left to fix...............RB.

Its a deep RB draft, they will pick one in the early rounds.

Paraphrasing Marvin Lewis, he said the running game is busted and needs to be fixed. if they don't bring in new wide bodies on the OL, there is only one place left to fix...............RB.

So RB's will suddenly be able to open their own holes to run through now. :rolleyes: I'd pay to see that.

They need to concentrate on both lines in this draft, the only way a RB should be considered is if there is still a stud RB (Felix Jones as an example) sitting there when it's there turn to pick in the 3rd round. Otherwise it needs to concentrate on both lines; of course this all depends on what still happens in FA (for example if they were to somehow sign Triplett & Kelley) then I wouldn't really want to draft more than one DT in the draft. Someone I would be interested in that might fill a need as well would be TE Martin Rucker especially if he's there the 2nd day, though I doubt that will happen.

So RB's will suddenly be able to open their own holes to run through now. :rolleyes: I'd pay to see that.

Never said they could....I said if they DON'T BRING IN new wide bodies on OL. Then only place left is RB.

A casual look at our offense shows the line is strong and deep everywhere except at center. How about at RB? Anyone close to the ProBowl? Anyone dominate their position? Force defenses to game plan the run?

Thats right, we don't have those kinds of RB's. Lets get one this draft. A fast, shifty back has a way of creating his own holes and make the Oline look much better.

From PFT:

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis attended Indiana's pro day Wednesday and appears to be interested in CB Tracy Porter as a second-round pick.

So the last 2 years they have spent first round picks on CB's....both of which are now starters....now Lewis wants to use a Second rounder on another CB??? I sure as hell hope he has a trade worked out to get another second round pick, cause this sure would be a waste! Last time I checked you only start 2 CB's at a time unless you go to a nickel or dime package...and a second round pick is way to high of a pick for a Nickel or dime corner when you have as many holes on defense as the Bengals have.

:rolleyes:

I'd be fine with Porter in the second. Deltha is gone after this year, there's no successor at nickel, and Porter (who has timed as low as 4.28 in the 40) is a threat to take it to the house on every punt return.

I'd definately rather take a 2nd round CB than a first day RB.

If he could liven up our punt return game, I like it more.

I'd be fine with Porter in the second. Deltha is gone after this year, there's no successor at nickel, and Porter (who has timed as low as 4.28 in the 40) is a threat to take it to the house on every punt return.

I'd definately rather take a 2nd round CB than a first day RB.

If he could liven up our punt return game, I like it more.

10 picks can cure what ails ya.

Next year is shaping up as a 10 pick year too.

When a team is this bad on D, no one draft can fix it. They'll need 2 years at least to get the job done. One bright side to all of this is that with so many needs, drafting the best player available is bound to plug the most holes.

As for the CB thing, remember this is the time of year that coaches go with double talk to cover their tracks about who they really are after. Most media guys need to write something daily, they'll throw out Marvin talk in bulk. I don't think Marvin has been known to confide his draft interests to Hobson, Curnutte(whatever) or anyone else, 6 weeks ahead of the draft.