Landon Johnson signs with Panthers

Bengals1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone for drafting Rivers out of SC if the big 4 are gone by #9?

I wouldn't be disappointed by that at all, especially if the two big DTs are gone.

Thurman, Brooks, and Rivers :blink: Suddenly our LB'ing situation would be upgraded from a Pinto to a Beamer, Not quite a Bentley, but still a drastic imporvement.

No doubt about it, if the big 2 DT's are gone, we're going with a LB.

I wouldn't be disappointed by that at all, especially if the two big DTs are gone.

Thurman, Brooks, and Rivers :blink: Suddenly our LB'ing situation would be upgraded from a Pinto to a Beamer, Not quite a Bentley, but still a drastic imporvement.

Rivers would be OK by me. But there are a lot of question marks surrounding Brooks and Thurman. Ahmad is reportedly still struggling to come back from the groin injury, and we all know the deal with Odell. And even if both do get back on the field, Odell hasn't played in forever and Ahmad is still unproven.

At this point I would say Jeanty is a lock as starting SLB, Dhani will get the weak side slot, and I guess The Boar Hunter in the middle. Everything else is the football equivalent of vaporware at this point.

Rivers would be OK by me. But there are a lot of question marks surrounding Brooks and Thurman. Ahmad is reportedly still struggling to come back from the groin injury, and we all know the deal with Odell. And even if both do get back on the field, Odell hasn't played in forever and Ahmad is still unproven.

At this point I would say Jeanty is a lock as starting SLB, Dhani will get the weak side slot, and I guess The Boar Hunter in the middle. Everything else is the football equivalent of vaporware at this point.

And what about Pollack, if we get him and Thurman and if Brooks is healthy, we'll be CRAZY deep with Henderson, Jeanty, Schlegal, and Dhani.

Speaking about he LB situation in general; Thurman, Brooks, Rivers would be the future.

Poor decision by the Bengals not to try to retain him.

The article says that the Bengals DID try. Like I said, though, going higher than what the Panthers offered would be overpaying, in my opinion. If we're going to do that, spend it on the line.

What I've read is the Bengals attempted to match, not better, the Panthers offer. The determining factor is thought to be the Panthers willingness, and the Bengals refusal, to guarantee Landon that he'd start.

No doubt about it, if the big 2 DT's are gone, we're going with a LB.

Perhaps. I've always felt Keith River's ranked amongst the best choices at #9 if all of the defensive lineman were gone, and that seems even more likely now. But again, it's not a one round draft and there'll be other options available later on.

On paper it's outstanding...just as it was two years ago.

And what about Pollack, if we get him and Thurman and if Brooks is healthy, we'll be CRAZY deep with Henderson, Jeanty, Schlegal, and Dhani.

Speaking about he LB situation in general; Thurman, Brooks, Rivers would be the future.

In theory, you're right. My point is just that, in reality, all we have healthy, in good standing with the league, and ready to go at LB is Dhani Jones and Rashad Jeanty.

Pollack, Brooks, Schlegal (back) and Henderson are all coming off injury. Pollack seems like he's leaning toward retirement (at least to me) and in any event has made it clear he doesn't want to play LB; even healthy Schlegal isn't that good; and both Brooks and Hype Henderson are unproven. Odell is Odell, and Rivers is just a gleam in our April eye.

In theory, you're right. My point is just that, in reality, all we have healthy, in good standing with the league, and ready to go at LB is Dhani Jones and Rashad Jeanty.

Pollack, Brooks, Schlegal (back) and Henderson are all coming off injury. Pollack seems like he's leaning toward retirement (at least to me) and in any event has made it clear he doesn't want to play LB; even healthy Schlegal isn't that good; and both Brooks and Hype Henderson are unproven. Odell is Odell, and Rivers is just a gleam in our April eye.

Yeah the LB situation is still very much in flux. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 in the draft.

Well if you put it like that... You just had to ruin it for me, let me dream a little man.

No, no no!!! He's too slow and too light for a 3 - 4.

We need players that allow us to do different things, not get locked up into a predictable defense.

We need players that allow us to do different things, not get locked up into a predictable defense.

Landon was the only guy standing during the LB melt down last season, well except for one half. He was good and did a good job from the day he got there, but he is just too small for a 3-4 D. All the remaining guys are somewhere between 240-260 lbs. For Landon, I think this season in Cincy he would be a situational player, not a starter unless injuries forced him into the lineup. You don't pay $3 million/yr for situational guys. Good move for everyone.

The Marvin experiment in small fast LB's is over.

Err, he's 6'2 241 lbs (combine measurements) and is known for his speed......so I'd cut down on whatever it is you are smokin'

Err, he's (Rivers) 6'2 241 lbs (combine measurements) and is known for his speed......so I'd cut down on whatever it is you are smokin'

Keith Rivers, USC

Height: 6-2. Weight: 241.

Projected 40 Time: 4.67.

Combine 40 Time: Did not run.

Keith Rivers did not run in Indianapolis because of his ankle injury. He's never been timed faster than a 4.65 - and he bulked UP for the combine.

These are the same measurables as Landon & Caleb.

If you want to get someone too light / slow, wait for the 2nd (Connors, Henderson) or 3rd (Lofton, Mayo, Adibi).

If you want an NFL OLB, go with a fast DE - Groves, Howard, Davis, or Crable

Err, he's (Rivers) 6'2 241 lbs (combine measurements) and is known for his speed......so I'd cut down on whatever it is you are smokin'

Keith Rivers, USC

Keith Rivers did not run in Indianapolis because of his ankle injury. He's never been timed faster than a 4.65 - and he bulked UP for the combine.

If you want to get someone too light / slow, wait for the 2nd (Connors, Henderson) or 3rd (Lofton, Mayo, Adibi).

4.6 is not slow for a 240 pd Lb. Coming out of college, both Landon and Caleb were in the 225 range from what I recall.

Rivers is a stud, arguably the best ready-to-go LB in the draft, might be hard to pass him up, as the Bengals have nothing but ? marks and average talent at LB.

Caleb and Landon were drafted for depth and ST's with some upside potential - they are not the same pedigree as Rivers.

Landon's only good at being tough. He's a tough SOB, that's it. Football (NFL) skills, he has NONE.

I apologize to the board for getting in so late, but...

Green's thought processes have reached epic, legendary new lows for acuity.

Landon has played 4 years in the NFL.

He has lead his team in tackles during that 4 year span.

He just signed another contract to play 3 more years in the NFL.

Yet according to you, green, he did that with zero NFL skills.

Could somebody please slap the piss out of agreen?

Poor decision by the Bengals not to try to retain him.

The article says that the Bengals DID try. Like I said, though, going higher than what the Panthers offered would be overpaying, in my opinion. If we're going to do that, spend it on the line.

What I've read is the Bengals attempted to match, not better, the Panthers offer. The determining factor is thought to be the Panthers willingness, and the Bengals refusal, to guarantee Landon that he'd start.

He didn't want to be here. If the Bengals' are going to pay you $3 mm a year, you can feel pretty good about your chances of starting, or at least playing a whole hell of a lot. The Panthers woo'd him, wanted him, and got him. There are no "guarantees" in the NFL of starting, certainly nothing in writing.

And here is what Curnutte had to say:

Johnson is in a position to challenge Na'il Diggs for the starting job at weak-side linebacker with the Panthers. Their other two starting linebackers are former Carolina first-round picks Thomas Davis and Jon Beason, both players the Bengals liked coming out of college.

The other third-round pick in 2004, linebacker Caleb Miller, also is an unrestricted free agent. The Bengals are not believed to be interested in bringing him back. Miller is headed to Seattle for a visit with the Seahawks.

Williams was one of the two second-round picks the Bengals had in 2004. The top second-round pick, cornerback Keiwan Ratliff, was released early in the 2007 season. The first-round pick from 2004, running back Chris Perry, has played only one healthy season in four and did not play at all last year because he was rehabbing from ankle and shin injuries sustained in the 2006 game at Cleveland.

Why would anybody be disappointed that Landon left? Is he a starter? Only by default. If Carolina wantes him to start there, by all means go for it. He was a third round pick four years ago. Has anyone been wowed by his abilities? Has the defense been any better when he was called into action as a starter? The answer to both is no of course. I thought everyone was all for "blowing the defense up". Well you don't do it by resigning the same players, so there shouldn't be any complaints about this. :angry:

Keith Rivers, USC

Um Landon and Caleb were both under 230 though at the combine,at least Rivers body can take a frame of 240.

He has lead his team in tackles during that 4 year span.

This isn't really a thing to praise when it comes to skill,when your playing middle linebacker you better be leading your team in tackles.

Why would anybody be disappointed that Landon left? Is he a starter? Only by default.

Well he wasn't a super stud he was a solid player,I would been more happy with Pollack,Odell,Johnson(2005) line up or a Brooks,odell Johnson(now) at LB.

This isn't really a thing to praise when it comes to skill,when your playing middle linebacker you better be leading your team in tackles.

Hey Kaz, I wasn't praising anything, but rather, I took issue with the mentally defective green's assertion that he accomplished that with zero NFL skills.

But, thanks for taking it out of context.

He didn't want to be here.

Nobody does, right? I mean c'mon, isn't that a major part of your rants? In fact, isn't it true that the only reason you live in the Cincinnati area is due to your mom's pickup truck blowing a motor while passing through Hamilton in 1965?

If the Bengals' are going to pay you $3 mm a year, you can feel pretty good about your chances of starting, or at least playing a whole hell of a lot.

Well, which is it? The truth is it's a fairly modest contract that says plenty about how the Bengals felt about Landon. In short, a good player that you'd love to have under the right circumstances, but not good enough to consider overpaying.

There are no "guarantees" in the NFL of starting, certainly nothing in writing.

Wow, way to go out on a limb with the "nothing in writing" qualifier.

I think Landon was always a very good backup for the Bengals and would have liked to see him return. Regardless if you think he's a starter or not, his loss makes the already HUGE questions at LB even moreso at this point. Should we have overpaid for his services ?? NO, but his loss does change the way we will look at the draft. The other reason is, Caleb Miller probably won't be coming back either. The Hobbitt isn't even worthy of being a backup, but for some reason (per KFFL) the Seahawks are interested in Miller. So, yet another loss at the LB position and there has been nothing in FA to try to address this.

For all of you still wanting offense (besides the O-line) in the first, I say put your money where your mouth is !!!

WHODEY !!!

Landon Johnson is the kind of player/person that this team sorely needs. I am disappointed that he is no longer a Bengal. All he ever did was a good job.

He was not glamorous or high profile but he was a good football player for this team. I am not sure what else people wanted out of him.

It's also a shame to realize that five years into it, we have already cycled through most of Marvin's 03 and 04 draft picks. I wonder if they ever go back and grade the results of their previous drafts to try to figure out why they picked a guy and whether it was a good pick or not.

In fact, isn't it true that the only reason you live in the Cincinnati area is due to your mom's pickup truck blowing a motor while passing through Hamilton in 1965?

Ha

Good one, Hair.

And I knew you would be right on his nuts 68. Can't just respond without throwing in some juvenille personal attack of course, par for the course here, and the mods just let it slide because, well, I'm not sure why, guess they're scared of HairOnNuts coming to their house and beating them up or something. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile he offered nothing at all that backs up his original post as being anything close to correct, other than "his" opinion and what "he read." (but of course no supporting sources other than his opinion)

Yet I offer an example of a published report and reasons as to why Landon doesn't want to be here as a result, and get nothing but the typical pro-Brown family idiocy in return and skirting of the issue.

Homeslice got two equal offers, has competition for a starting job at both clubs, and chose Carolina. Those are the facts for which you can draw a very reasonable conclusion...

And somehow my comment that he wanted out is nothing more than a "supportive rant."

Sometimes the truth hurts I guess, although I'm not sure why someone would care so much?

Grow up folks. Players don't like to play here and haven't for some time. Just ignore me if it gets your panties in a bunch - seriously - go argue with someone else if you can't even do that well (and coming up with adolescent personal slams is just that - weak).