S Eugene Wilson on Bengals' radar

DDOGG

The Bengals have expressed interested in meeting with Patriots free agent safety Eugene Wilson. He is a five-year veteran from Illinois who has 55 starts and 62 games of experience with the Patriots. He has 10 career interceptions, including one in 2007 he returned for a touchdown. He played in 11 games with six starts for New England last year and had 31 total tackles.

The Bengals might be in the market for another veteran safety after losing starting free safety Madieu Williams to the Vikings as a free agent last week.

Wilson has visited Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh and the Jets and is wrapping up a visit with Tennessee. The Bengals and Jaguars also have expressed interest. Wilson has no intention of returning to the Patriots. It appears his recent injury history is not limiting his popularity as a free agent.

He ended the 2006 on the injured reserve list with a groin/hamstring problem. A high ankle sprain cost him some time in 2007, though he had said he was ready to return to the lineup sooner than the Patriots put him back in. He was the seventh of seven defensive backs on the Patriots' depth chart for Super Bowl XLII against the Giants.

"I thought the year started off pretty good," Wilson told The Boston Globe in late February. "I was playing consistent, but then I had the high ankle sprain. I was ready to come back but I was still on the inactive list for a couple games. I'm not sure the reason why."

The Bengals this afternoon confirmed the visit by Colts restricted free agent tight end Ben Utecht. He was extended a one-year qualifying offer of $927,000 by the Colts as a restricted free agent. Indianapolis retains the right to match any offer sheet Utecht would sign as a restricted free agent, but he was an undrafted college free agent in 2004 and would not require draft-pick compensation. He spent the 2004 season on the physically unable to perform list.

I started a thread about this guy a few days ago, and now we're looking at him. Hmmm.

Who wants me to start a thread about Alge Crumpler? :)

I started a thread about this guy a few days ago, and now we're looking at him. Hmmm.

Who wants me to start a thread about Alge Crumpler? :)

They can still look at Alge Crumpler but at this point they would have to make a trade with the Titans to get him. ^_^