Angling...

lake mead?  eww heh  I hope you arent eating fish u catch from there and just do it for sport!!! :)

Love fishing here in western New York. People say the same thing about fish out of the creeks around here, but I've caught plenty of red fin suckers and they are like canaries in coal mines. Things start getting polluted, and they are the first to go. If they are there, then anything else you catch is good at least in moderation. And the rate at which I catch fish, I don't have to worry about eating too many.

Dont know if its ever been adressed, but, are there any fisherman on the board?

Took my 4 yr. old son to Grand Lake St. Mary's this weekend, to do some crappie fishing. Once again he out-fished me! :D

Great time/great weather

Best and cheapest family entertainment there is.

My kids still talk about going fishing when they were little, and I can't believe how much they remember from so many years back.

lake mead used to be great but then the water level dropped and got dirty because of all the silt or whatever. Its getting ok again.

I saw footage of that on ( I think ) the weather channel. Acccording to that it had dropped like by about half. I knew it had been dry, but I didn't realize it was such a serious drought .... and that it had been going on for a couple of years.

I live very very near to the banks of the river Spey - excellent for Brown Trout, Sea Trout and Salmon.

My eldest son and I usually go early morning (4.00am) with the postman from over the road - good old fashioned "male bonding" type days.

In the height of the summer it never really gets dark here - so overnight fishing trips with copious amount of good malt will be on the cards.

I live very very near to the banks of the river Spey - excellent for Brown Trout, Sea Trout and Salmon.

My eldest son and I usually go early morning (4.00am) with the postman from over the road - good old fashioned "male bonding" type days.

In the height of the summer it never really gets dark here - so overnight fishing trips with copious amount of good malt will be on the cards.

Question to our resident Scotsman...have you ever seen "Nessie" in Loch Ness? How far from this famed body of water do you live? :rolleyes:

I will admit to having two UFO experiences in my lifetime that involved several incredible vehicles, but the Loch Ness monster and Big Foot/Sasquatch still captures my imagination. The paranormal things in this world rivets me to attention, hence my love of the shows X-Files, Stargate, In Search Of...etc. Sorry, but Star Trek/Wars just leaves me cold, although I LOVE William Shattner. His performances in the comedy series "Third Rock From The Sun" were totally hilarious! He missed his calling. :lol:

Question to our resident Scotsman...have you ever seen "Nessie" in Loch Ness? How far from this famed body of water do you live? :rolleyes:

I will admit to having two UFO experiences in my lifetime that involved several incredible vehicles, but the Loch Ness monster and Big Foot/Sasquatch still captures my imagination. The paranormal things in this world rivets me to attention, hence my love of the shows X-Files, Stargate, In Search Of...etc. Sorry, but Star Trek/Wars just leaves me cold, although I LOVE William Shattner. His performances in the comedy series "Third Rock From The Sun" were totally hilarious! He missed his calling. :lol:

Jesus...can I fall off a thread topic or WHAT? :rolleyes:

I'm in !!!!!!

I will admit to having two UFO experiences in my lifetime that involved several incredible vehicles, but the Loch Ness monster and Big Foot/Sasquatch still captures my imagination.

:lol::lol:

New topic ..... I'm starting and you take it up see where we go

Die Hard fisherman here. You want to Bass fish like the saturday morning shows move to Georgia.

First time I went fishing down here, I came with the essentials. 1 tackle box. 1 bucket of 2 doz. minnows. 2 doz. wax worms. 3 - poles. 1 - pole for me to bait fish. 1 pole for the wife ( gave her the small pole :D since I figured we'd only catch crappie and bluegills). and 1 pole to do some jig fishing with for when it got slow.

True Fishing Story: Wife and I first ones on the lake for a planned "Fish & Fry" (company). Fix my wife's pole with some wax worm show her how to cast the open face reel, plop she's in the water. Ok turn around to set my pole with a minnow, she taps me on the shoulder and says " What's it mean when the line goes straight ? " :lol: - (Couldn't make that up if I tried) - I yell hey you better set the hook , needless to say she landed a 12 oz. bluegill, not bad for her first fish. So after I've lined him up and put him in the water, I throw my line into the water. I turn around and start fixing her rod again, when she taps me on the shoulder again and says.." You're line is straight too ! " :lol: so i grab the pole before it goes into the water, set the hook only my pole bends completely into a J ! I was only fishing with 4 lb test line so I had to play the patient game and luckily landed the biggest LargeMouth of my life at a little over 3 3/4 lbs. Needless to say as people showed up throughout the day, They saw me land 5.. count 'em five 3 + lb largemouths those early morning hours! Smallest one weighed 3 lbs. 2 oz.

* Funny part was, I got a little lazy after I landed my 3rd by nine a.m. so when I hooked this big Bass I figured I could just yank him out the water only to watch him break my line as I'm about to put my hand in his mouth and fall back into the lake. That afternoon, I went back down to the lake where other teachers were now fishing in my spot from the morning when a teacher I'd met from Louisiana landed the official biggest fish of the day weighed in on my hook scale at 5 lbs.9 oz. Beautiful fish I swear. Ok so what's the funny part, After he used my plyers to get the swallowed hook out, he asked for them back , so I said " Why - you already got the hook out? " He replied " there's another hook in there " ! I looked into the Bass' mouth to find my TRUE TURN hook ! The fish that had eluded me some 5 hours earlier was caught by someone else, and he turned out to literally be " the Big one that got away " ! :rolleyes:

Die Hard fisherman here. You want to Bass fish like the saturday morning shows move to Georgia.

First time I went fishing down here, I came with the essentials. 1 tackle box. 1 bucket of 2 doz. minnows. 2 doz. wax worms. 3 - poles. 1 - pole for me to bait fish. 1 pole for the wife ( gave her the small pole :D since I figured we'd only catch crappie and bluegills). and 1 pole to do some jig fishing with for when it got slow.

True Fishing Story: Wife and I first ones on the lake for a planned "Fish & Fry" (company). Fix my wife's pole with some wax worm show her how to cast the open face reel, plop she's in the water. Ok turn around to set my pole with a minnow, she taps me on the shoulder and says " What's it mean when the line goes straight ? " :lol: - (Couldn't make that up if I tried) - I yell hey you better set the hook , needless to say she landed a 12 oz. bluegill, not bad for her first fish. So after I've lined him up and put him in the water, I throw my line into the water. I turn around and start fixing her rod again, when she taps me on the shoulder again and says.." You're line is straight too ! " :lol: so i grab the pole before it goes into the water, set the hook only my pole bends completely into a J ! I was only fishing with 4 lb test line so I had to play the patient game and luckily landed the biggest LargeMouth of my life at a little over 3 3/4 lbs. Needless to say as people showed up throughout the day, They saw me land 5.. count 'em five 3 + lb largemouths those early morning hours! Smallest one weighed 3 lbs. 2 oz.

* Funny part was, I got a little lazy after I landed my 3rd by nine a.m. so when I hooked this big Bass I figured I could just yank him out the water only to watch him break my line as I'm about to put my hand in his mouth and fall back into the lake. That afternoon, I went back down to the lake where other teachers were now fishing in my spot from the morning when a teacher I'd met from Louisiana landed the official biggest fish of the day weighed in on my hook scale at 5 lbs.9 oz. Beautiful fish I swear. Ok so what's the funny part, After he used my plyers to get the swallowed hook out, he asked for them back , so I said " Why - you already got the hook out? " He replied " there's another hook in there " ! I looked into the Bass' mouth to find my TRUE TURN hook ! The fish that had eluded me some 5 hours earlier was caught by someone else, and he turned out to literally be " the Big one that got away " ! :rolleyes:

I nominate this as the great story of the "General Discussions" forum, 2004!! :lol:

Question to our resident Scotsman...have you ever seen "Nessie" in Loch Ness? How far from this famed body of water do you live?

Driving it's about 30 miles, but as the crow flies (and I don't mean a Raven) it's probably less than half that.

My job takes me out and about each day, and the area I cover has Loch Ness smack bang in the middle of it! What an office to work in!!

Personally I have doubts about there being a "monster" as is much prescribed - a reptile left over from the ice-age. It's more likely to be, IMO, something more akin to a sea-serpent.

However, it is infact a very weird body of water. Large enough to hold the entire human population of the world - and getting deeper every year (due to the settling of the silt-bed). They (scientists) have found types of sponges thriving in the deep, dark, water (400ft+) which is far below they level that they should be (60ft), as they need light. It really is a scientifically strange place. But also very beautiful.

One day of crappie fishing and I quit.

Bengalboy - try to remain positive, upbeat and hopeful. After all, like the rest of us, you have many, many days of crappie fishing ahead of you.