Season doesn't look all bad

Thurmanation

Most people have been talking about possibly being worse next year then this past year and i don't see any reason why we should be any worse. We lost JSmith and Williams, both of which i didn't think highly of, Kenny Irons is going to be ready for July, Pollack may be cleared to play, Thurman is going to be back, we signed a solid versatile DE, the only real holes i can see are our O-line and possibly safety work needed. IF Pollack, Odell, Dhani and Brooks all play to potential our LB's should be better then mediocre, and if we get Ellis or Dorsey at 9 and maybe a safety or Oline in second round, im thinking were going to have a good shot next year. But on the other hand this is all speculation, we do need our suspended back and injured to fully recover.

EDIT: i also forgot to mention i believe Geathers is SERIOUSLY under rated.

Most people have been talking about possibly being worse next year then this past year and i don't see any reason why we should be any worse. We lost JSmith and Williams, both of which i didn't think highly of, Kenny Irons is going to be ready for July, Pollack may be cleared to play, Thurman is going to be back, we signed a solid versatile DE, the only real holes i can see are our O-line and possibly safety work needed. IF Pollack, Odell, Dhani and Brooks all play to potential our LB's should be better then mediocre, and if we get Ellis or Dorsey at 9 and maybe a safety or Oline in second round, im thinking were going to have a good shot next year. But on the other hand this is all speculation, we do need our suspended back and injured to fully recover.

While I deeply respect your enthusiasm, I cannot totally share it.

We are in the dark about which defensive set (3/4 vs 4/3) Cincinnati will actually use, nor how Zimmer will scheme within either. The personnel on the DL the Bengals currently have is improving (I hope), but I'd sure like to see other changes here too.

I'm uneasy about the offensive lines ability to consistently open holes for the running game, and provide Palmer more time in the pocket so he has to no longer hurry passes to avoid sacks which he excels at.

Long story short...IMHO, we have a ways to go. It's not impossible by any means, but in terms of this organization to totally "Blow Up" and remake a team in a year, and succeed in doing so, that's one tall order. I just hope they Get 'Er Done!!

we dont have any on D.

I respectfully disagree here BC. There is talent on this side of the ball. Joseph, Hall, Peko, Brooks, Geathers, Ndukwe/Duke Nukem, possibly Pollack and Thurman. I'm not in a state of depression with these guys wearing stripes on game day. Of course it all hinges on how our new DC utilizes their talents. The possibility to be effective is there.

I believe that Pollack would come back as a Defensive End, not a Linebacker according to one of his last interviews. I would not count on Thurman being in their just yet. There are so many factors to consider even if he does coms back. The NFL is all about speed, and no one has seen this guy in two years now. There are a lot of if's there.

One thing I will say about the biggest difference in the D this year could be the Linebackers. Not because of the personel, but because of the coaching. I have had a multitude of very good coaches and former Bengals players tell me that the Bengals Linebackers were horribly undercoached and out of position last season. They had no chance of making plays in a lot of the situations they were in. One player said they weree basically lost at times. This is the reason for the change at Linebackers Coach as one of the Bengals first off season moves. They were also very beat up. This could give us a little hope. I did say a little!

JTM Whodey

The hiring of Zimmer means little.

Again I respectfully disagree. This one factor could be more important than any FA signing or draft pick in the coming months. Zimmer is the one man who specifically dictates how these players line up and cover opposing offenses. Bresnahan failed miserably in this facet of the game. One week he had it, the following he was lost. IMHO he couldn't adapt from one teams strengths to the next, and it showed.

I'm willing to give Zimmer a few years to adapt to the situation he now finds himself in.

I believe our D has MUCH talent on it, it just needs some help, if you have 2 good Dline 2 good backers and 2 good corners thats only 6 of the 11 men on your team doing most of the work, and the way i see it we have only really had 5-6 of the 11 doing the work the past 2 years, this year its looking more like 9-10.

Odom

Geathers

Thurman

Pollack

Jones

Peko

Hall

Joseph

White

With a DT hopefully with pick number 1..

and if we cna fix our Oline im sure rudi will be in better shape and well have kenny irons backing him - Jeremi continues to prove why hes one of the BEST FB's in the league, henry chad housh possible utecht?! are you kidding! and i know our QB needs no intro..im just sayin i can REALLY see us being great next year with a little help on both sides of the line. My boy Billy says is best DRAFT LINEMEN LINEMEN LINEMEN!

I believe that Pollack would come back as a Defensive End, not a Linebacker according to one of his last interviews. I would not count on Thurman being in their just yet. There are so many factors to consider even if he does coms back. The NFL is all about speed, and no one has seen this guy in two years now. There are a lot of if's there.

One thing I will say about the biggest difference in the D this year could be the Linebackers. Not because of the personel, but because of the coaching. I have had a multitude of very good coaches and former Bengals players tell me that the Bengals Linebackers were horribly undercoached and out of position last season. They had no chance of making plays in a lot of the situations they were in. One player said they weree basically lost at times. This is the reason for the change at Linebackers Coach as one of the Bengals first off season moves. They were also very beat up. This could give us a little hope. I did say a little!

JTM Whodey

I believe our D has MUCH talent on it, it just needs some help, if you have 2 good Dline 2 good backers and 2 good corners thats only 6 of the 11 men on your team doing most of the work, and the way i see it we have only really had 5-6 of the 11 doing the work the past 2 years, this year its looking more like 9-10.

Odom

Geathers

Thurman

Pollack

Jones

Peko

Hall

Joseph

White

With a DT hopefully with pick number 1..

and if we cna fix our Oline im sure rudi will be in better shape and well have kenny irons backing him - Jeremi continues to prove why hes one of the BEST FB's in the league, henry chad housh possible utecht?! are you kidding! and i know our QB needs no intro..im just sayin i can REALLY see us being great next year with a little help on both sides of the line. My boy Billy says is best DRAFT LINEMEN LINEMEN LINEMEN!

Aside from the TE comment, I couldn't agree more. I've been through that debate too many times in this forum to continue here.

I think you're a little overly optimistic in some areas. Thurman hasn't been cleared and hasn't played in 2 years. Basically the same for Pollack. With Dhani Jones we have what we had last year - a lucky pick-up who I hope maintains the level he played last year, but I don't imagine higher. If the LB corps gets better, it's through the draft.

On the other hand, Hall won't be a rookie anymore. And Dookie came on strong toward the end - which we need, since Madieu's gone. Don't know what White's going to look like, he was basically invisible last year, but I hope he comes on fast because Dexter ain't getting any younger.

I expect Hall and Dookie's maturity will outweigh the loss of Madieu and Dexter's age, so the secondary will be a bit better. Right now, the front 4 looks worse and the LBs look the same (which ain't good). The draft may be key there.

The big upgrade is that we no longer have a caveman calling the plays for the defense. So while I don't expect the defense will be legitimately good, I'll predict *slightly* better assuming they keep a 4-3.

I think you're a little overly optimistic in some areas. Thurman hasn't been cleared and hasn't played in 2 years. Basically the same for Pollack.

Pollack has been openly training/competing with young talent headed to the NFL. Last I heard on the wire they were abosolutely in awe of his abilities. If he so chooses, I welcome his return.

Anything stating that the defense is "going to be better than last season" is only premature at this point. To many unknowns about the defensive setup and players. Many of the things listed are no better than question marks at this point and nowhere near foregone conclusions. As for being worse than last year from a record standpoint, you only need to look at the schedule... Our regulars in the AFC North, which is very strong and road games AT the Cowboys, Giants, and Colts along with the Jags, Eagles, and Redskins at home has 8-8 written all over it AT BEST. Now, if the defense pulls it head out of it's forth point of contact, the running game emerges, and the offense can click behind a solid O-line, then maybe it's a different story...

WHODEY !!!

I think you're a little overly optimistic in some areas. Thurman hasn't been cleared and hasn't played in 2 years. Basically the same for Pollack.

Pollack has been openly training/competing with young talent headed to the NFL. Last I heard on the wire they were abosolutely in awe of his abilities. If he so chooses, I welcome his return.

Of course I'd welcome him too, by all accounts he sounds like a great guy and I wish him success in whatever he chooses to do. But at the same time, last I heard he wasn't fully cleared by the requisite medical personnel, and by all accounts his injury isn't one that people usually come back from. And he hasn't played football in 2 years.

Point is, I don't think you can point to Pollack as a reason why the Bengals' D will be better next year, when the odds of him playing at a high level still have to be pretty long.

As a fan, I hope to hell he can get out there and make a difference...but as someone who's had the misfortune to learn a bit about bone injuries, I honestly don't know if I want to see him back, because I don't want to see him paralyzed.

Too many question marks, ecspecially at FS, LB, and RB. The interior o-line isn't very good, as Whit is playing out of position, and Guy-chick is below the NFL average at his position, possibly one of the worst.

Just too many unproven players and guys with significant injury problems to come back from. A lot of things will have to go right, including a whale of a draft.

When Dhani Jones and Landon Johnson (who may very well leave) are your best returning LB's, you've got issues.