Odom is a Bengal

Kazkal

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AHH YES, The syndicated quiffs of the Self - Righteous !!

Coming from you, that's rich.

Somebody get Hoosier Cat's panties out his Crawl !!

Somebody get chrish's head out of his rear.

For the Record , I liked Odom in '04. We all know that, but it still doesn't mean that I have to except the ineptitude of Mike Brown and his bag of losers you love in the FO !

Yeah, I love the FO. :rolleyes: Let's see, you like Odom, we signed Odom, and all you can do is bitch that we didn't draft him several years ago? There's just no satisfying some people.

Here's a reality check !

No, here's a reality check: the Bengals just made a good FA signing. And all you can do is complain.

Damn Man, You Still Complaining ??? Let it Go Princess Leah , Let it GO !!!! :lol:

I've been looking at the UFA DT still available and there isn't much. The one who I think has potential would be DT Ethan Kellely from the Browns he's only 27, is 6-2, and 338 lbs. So with his age his productive years should still be ahead of him. The other options are Chuck Darby, Rod Coleman, and Jimmy Kennedy. What do you all think? I think I'd like us to take a chance on signing Kelley if we could get him reasonably priced and also make a trade for someone like roberston.

Most Titans fans are skeptical that Odom will find much success with another team. They give most of the credit for his success last year to Vanden Bosch and Haynesworth.

That said, I'm hopeful that he and Geathers will make a good tandem. If we manage to steal a decent DT in the first round, and Peko continues to improve, then Odom could be quite successful. Here's hoping...

Regardless, it feels like a move the Bengals had to make. After losing Smith and Williams, they couldn't afford to sit around in free agency and do nothing. As far as respectable DEs go, Odom's price tag was slightly better than I feared it would be. Certainly better than what it would have cost to keep Justin around.

Kudos to the Bengals for this one.

On Bengals.com it says he had 44 tackles last year, yet when I look at his stats at nfl.com it says he had 21 - what's up with that...?

I like it as well. I'm surprised at myself for my warm reception of the Robertson and Odom moves (even with the recent cancellations) given my anti-spending stance I normally take... but the last two seasons ought to be enough to remind me that a change of strategy can't be all bad.

I'd actually say that Mikey overpaid a bit. I don't think Odom was even a starter in Tennessee. He was teamed with Laboy, who signed a 5 year, $22 million deal with the Cards. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

Sounds like things haven't changed much.

Tennessee's previous GM, Floyd Reece, once explained his teams defensive line strategy this way. Draft a defensive lineman every year....sometimes two, and always let them play out their contract. If they haven't developed into elite players let them leave in free agency. Constantly churn the unit, and whenever possible try to start players younger than 26 years old at every position. Offer a 2nd contract only with extreme caution as injuries often slow physically gifted players and the less talented high-energy players always wear down.

As for Odom, I liked him very much prior to his draft, but I haven't paid much attention to him since. That said, I've still got my doubts he's as good as the DE he'll be replacing...though he may be a better pass rusher. And since that's exactly what this team needs I'll withhold any criticism and focus on the fact that this was arguably the best replacement for Smith available in free agency. So there's that.

Just don't expect me to say we've upgraded the position because that's not at all certain.

Can't say this signing is a bad one whatsoever. It fills a need with a younger player, who has had better production the past two years than our "franchise superstar", and came at a cheaper price... I will give on the fact he had some people around him, but the signing is good.

Here's my question...

If the Bengals were willing to give a 4th and 5th to get Robertson, I wonder if they would be willing to swap 1st's and give a 3rd and 4th to get to #5 in the draft and get either Ellis or Dorsey ?? If you are willing to give up draft picks on guys that are question marks, what would be the issue in going after a youngster who could solidify the D-line and provide the beef in the middle that would only improve the play of the DE you already have and the one you just spent FA dollars to get ?? With the comp picks coming our way, this might be the year we actually see the team trade UP.

Did I just say that and mean it ?? Holy sh*t me to tears...

WHODEY !!!

Here's my question...

If the Bengals were willing to give a 4th and 5th to get Robertson, I wonder if they would be willing to swap 1st's and give a 3rd and 4th to get to #5 in the draft and get either Ellis or Dorsey ??

That probably doesn't get you where you need to be. Package the 1st, 3rd, and 4th picks and you still can't get to the #6 slot unless your trade partner, the Jets, are willing to accept less than full value. In fairness, I think they would because it's pretty close, but it's still more than I'd be willing to offer.

To move up to the #5 slot the Bengals would probably have to give the Chiefs their 1st and 2nd round picks....while getting a 4th round pick in return. Again, that's too much to give in my opinion.

Feel free to disagree, but I'd take my chances and stay put.

Well guys...congrats on the signing...you needed a bit of a spark, it seemed (at least on this site...I was starting to get depressed reading!) But anyhoo, I'm off to bed...and I gotta say I enjoyed posting. I'll be back...you can count on it. ;) take care gentlemen...

'Dude

Just curious, but are you going to tell us when you're going to bed every night?

And if so, why do you think we care?

I will always say that it is unlikely that the Bengals will trade UP in the draft, but for some reason I'm just thinking it may be more likely this year. I think the DT talent drops off significantly and wouldn't mind giving up a couple of mid round picks to make that happen... If it takes more, than yeah, maybe not...

WHODEY !!!

Well if your willing give up a 3rd and 5th for shaun rodger's you should be willing give up 3rd and 5th to try move up

Shaun "Rodgers" ??? I love it... Not only is his name spelled wrong, but there is an apostrophe for some unknown reason...

I suck at Grammar nothing new here. : P

Well guys...congrats on the signing...you needed a bit of a spark, it seemed (at least on this site...I was starting to get depressed reading!) But anyhoo, I'm off to bed...and I gotta say I enjoyed posting. I'll be back...you can count on it. ;) take care gentlemen...

'Dude

Just curious, but are you going to tell us when you're going to bed every night?

And if so, why do you think we care?

Honestly? Because out of all the people on this site, it was you who I expected to say something about that :sure: ...I can see my nefarious plot worked. And no, not every night.