Bengals and Jets to make a trade

Variety

The New York Jets and Cincinnati Bengals have agreed to terms on a trade that would send defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson to the Bengals in exchange for Cincinnati's fourth- and fifth-round picks (Nos. 114 and 151) in the upcoming draft, according to league sources.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3274297

Looks like we're getting a penetrating 4-3 defensive tackle. I usually watch AFC games and in the 4-3 he was a monster for the Jets. He just turned 26, so he still has a lot of upside. No off the field issues, great character, non stop motor and physically he's in terrific shape, i mean ripped.

The New York Jets and Cincinnati Bengals have agreed to terms on a trade that would send defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson to the Bengals in exchange for Cincinnati's fourth- and fifth-round picks (Nos. 114 and 151) in the upcoming draft, according to league sources.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3274297

Looks like we're getting a penetrating 4-3 defensive tackle. I usually watch AFC games and in the 4-3 he was a monster for the Jets. He just turned 26, so he still has a lot of upside. No off the field issues, great character, non stop motor and physically he's in terrific shape, i mean ripped.

Good news indeed. I just hope the League office doesn't step in here as well. <_<

Maybe 68's gotten to me with his Texas voodoo but I just can't believe this will go down the toilet like the last one.

This would make up for the frustration of this past weekend. If you had asked me prior to the Rogers debacle, I would have taken Robertson over the fat-ass Rogers. Hopefully, in the end, we came out ahead on the weekend.

I hope for big things from Dewayne and I hope fatboy languishes at the bottom of the Browns depth chart by mid-season.

Sean Rogers is Kimo Von Kneecapper to me.

F*ck Sean Rogers and Kimo.

Let's sign Pace and get more D in the draft.

I am excited again.

Edit: I meant to say sign Pace and Odum

I like this move as well. Robertson is not a 3-4 NT so naturally the Jets weren't the right fight for him anymore. What is our pick situation like now, though? Do we have any extra 4th or 5th rounders I'm forgetting about or are we expecting compensatory picks?

Also, will this mean a possible cut for John Thornton?

First reaction: No f**king way.

Second reaction: no f*8ing way.

Third reaction: holy freaking crap no f**king way.

Fourth reaction: wow how the f**k do they afford this???

Fifth reaction: Co-co-co-chob Mr. Thornoton Jesus loves you more that you can no, woo woo woo...

Sixth reaction: Whts that you say Mr. Thornton Joltin' John has gone away hey hey...

Seventh reaction: Will celebrate or mourn -- seriously, don't know which -- when it's official...

I like this move as well. Robertson is not a 3-4 NT so naturally the Jets weren't the right fight for him anymore. What is our pick situation like now, though? Do we have any extra 4th or 5th rounders I'm forgetting about or are we expecting compensatory picks?

Also, will this mean a possible cut for John Thornton?

I'm not really sure, but we should get a 3rd round comp pick for Steiny.

We may not have a 4th or 5th but should have two 3rd round picks.

I have been ready to cut Thornton and B-Rob for two years. Hopefully this will facilitate that.

Once again, PHUCK Sean Rogers!

As for the compensatory picks: we will defenitely get a 3rd round pick for losing Eric Steinbach, so this is not going to hurt us at all. The only good DTs available in the draft are Sedrick Ellis and Dorsey, and they will be top 10 picks. They are barely 2 years younger than Robertson is and who knows if they are going to become good players or not. With Robertson we already have a proven guy who's going to perform. Ellis and Dorsey could become busts for all we know.

New York papers:

Robertson, an ill fit in the Jets' 3-4 scheme, is a talent and would be a force in a 4-3 alignment. Picked fourth overall in 2003, Robertson was compared to future Hall of Famer Warren Sapp. He showed promise in his first two seasons but has struggled as an undersized nose tackle (6-1, 315 pounds) in coach Eric Mangini's 3-4 defense the past two years.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?....xml&coll=1

A bunch of other teams were interested in him as well, including the Lions, Broncos and Jaguars.

Good (assuming it goes through). Back on the potential draft offense train in the first few rounds if they can get this done and land Odom and, say, Pace.

I think we're moving in the right direction, but you might be jumping the gun in thinking we can get Odom and Pace. I'll be happy with just Odom. That would solidify the defensive line.

As far as the draft, I still think you need to help the linebackers out early on. Either with Rivers from USC or somebody else in the middle rounds. If Landon gets resigned it's less of a problem, but the linebacker situation is far from good. If there's a great lineman there that they like, maybe Clady, I'll be less pissed, but I don't think we need to be drafting for offense exclusively early on.

Good (assuming it goes through). Back on the potential draft offense train in the first few rounds if they can get this done and land Odom and, say, Pace.

I think we're moving in the right direction, but you might be jumping the gun in thinking we can get Odom and Pace. I'll be happy with just Odom. That would solidify the defensive line.

As far as the draft, I still think you need to help the linebackers out early on. Either with Rivers from USC or somebody else in the middle rounds. If Landon gets resigned it's less of a problem, but the linebacker situation is far from good. If there's a great lineman there that they like, maybe Clady, I'll be less pissed, but I don't think we need to be drafting for offense exclusively early on.

I agree this move allows cushion in case Ellis or Vernon Gholston is snatched up. I still want:

1. Ellis

2. Dorsey

3. Gholston

4. Harvey

Land one of those guys and Im all smiles...we need a legit pass rush folks before we move onto any other area.

I made my case for drafting offense elsewhere, and won't repeat it, but predicate one for drafting offense (which this team desperately needs to do) was getting immediate help for what ails the defense. Robertson would go a long way toward addressing one of those needs.

Man. Come to work, turn on computer, and wipe away that bad weekend!

Although a different type of player, I like this fellow better than Rogers. He appears more reliable, dependable. At his best, Rogers was a better player. But at his worst, he could be useless. Robertson has a reputation for fitness and discipline, plus he played at Kentucky and wants to be here.

His cap hit is outrageous though. Chances of a new contract being worked out?

Edit: Nevermind, just read the actual article.

Completion of the trade is contingent upon Robertson agreeing to a new contract
Very promising trade if it happens.

Where are the cynics? I thought we had a bunch here.

I see this early announcement as a way for the players agent to get other teams involved in the bidding. Use the Bengals to flush the teams into flying to him with better offers.

I don't expect to see this guy in stripes.

If Hobson has learned his lesson he won't claim the trade is official until Robertson has finished playing his 3rd regular season game for the Bengals.

A very solid trade IF it happens. Rogers is the more proven player and offers far more impact when motivated. But he also brings more baggage, an older birth certificate, and a bigger trade hit. Robertson, who has never reached his potential, can apparently be had for two mid-round picks.

Let's hope the can get a contract worked out.

Where are the cynics? I thought we had a bunch here.

I see this early announcement as a way for the players agent to get other teams involved in the bidding. Use the Bengals to flush the teams into flying to him with better offers.

I don't expect to see this guy in stripes.

I thought I was the only one seeing this, annouce that you are working a deal and get a third team in the mix to try and come in and swoop the player up with a bigger offer then the Bengals. I'm just waiting on the draft because the Bengals will disappoint you every year when it comes to free agency and then Hobson will find a way to make it sound like the Bengals did the right thing by not signing a particular player